Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Taking Chances

Would removing the ability to take chances improve the game?

On the killer side of things, 4%ing can win survivors games by just getting lucky.

However and mainly, on the survivors side of things, it would prevent several things:

A) Stop survivors being able to give up straight away, no more instantly griefing games because you're the first hook. You either wait for you whole first stage to be up or you take the dc timer either way it'd be better for the game.

B) A few times I've had a survivor unhook themselves in front of me when I've taken the risk to save them as my build will be around unhooking.

I personally feel like unhooking yourself is as outdated as hooks despawning after someone dies, but that's a different conversation.

Comments

• Grandpa_Crack_Pipe
    Grandpa_Crack_Pipe Member Posts: 3,306

Yup, I'm down. Get rid of 4%ing and struggling (unless you have Deliverance) please and thank you.

• WeenieDog
    WeenieDog Member Posts: 2,184
    edited December 2022

Not really, but I don't think it would make it any worse either.

People could still give up early in the same way they already do. They just sit there or just follow you around doing nothing.

Not to mention luck becoming even more of a meme stat.

• jesterkind
    jesterkind Member Posts: 7,612

I've considered that myself, often from the starting point of Luck being an outdated and terrible mechanic. It wouldn't be the worst idea to remove taking a chance to escape entirely, unless you have Slippery Meat or Deliverance. It'd certainly cut down on the amount of people getting to leave matches early without incurring a penalty.

Remove Luck, put escape chances on Slippery Meat and Deliverance (or hell, rework Slippery Meat entirely and just have it on Deliverance), and rework the handful of perks + offerings that revolve around Luck to do something else. If nothing else, there'd be some more new perks to play around with afterwards, I highly doubt anyone is going to be severely affected since I feel like everyone who wants to unhook themselves just brings Deliverance anyway.

Hooks breaking after someone dies is fine, though. It shifts the playing field and creates deadzones for the killer, which gives survivors a slight edge to counteract the gigantic loss of losing an entire teammate for the rest of the trial.

• Mockingjay_S451
    Mockingjay_S451 Member Posts: 393

I don’t think it would stop people leaving the game early at all. If a survivor doesn’t want to keep playing, they will just go give themselves up to the killer again or stand under the hook AFK until they are hooked again.

Either way they aren’t progressing the survivor side of things, so why not just let them take there chances, go 2nd and miss skill checks.

• ByeByeQ
    ByeByeQ Member Posts: 1,104

I wouldn't be opposed to this if things like a slugging Starstruck Nurse or stalling Eruption killers didn't exist. I like having the ability to leave those games quickly without incurring a DC penalty.

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,775

I mean, okay.

I can't wait for the posts complaining about people going AFK

• Maelstrom808
    Maelstrom808 Member Posts: 685

At least at that point, they can be farmed by both survivors and the killer and provide "some" value to the match, rather than providing absolutely zero or worse as they become a liability to would be rescuers.

They already do so no difference there. Of the three options for getting out of a match early, afking is the least offensive to me, where as suiciding on hook is the most.

• Pulsar

You take away hook suiciding and it will get astronomically worse.

• jesterkind
    jesterkind Member Posts: 7,612

Wait, why? It'd be the same amount, because people who would've hook suicided are now just staying AFK. It's the same number of useless teammates throwing matches, with the sole difference that they have to actually wait it out or eat a penalty- an improvement from the angle of not allowing a convenient out for those players, but neutral from the perspective of everyone else's experience.

Heck, as OP says, you can technically farm off AFK players so it's a very slight improvement.

• Pulsar

I was remarking that there will be more people going AFK if hook suiciding is removed.

As the person I'd responded to had remarked they've already seen a lot of AFK players.

• Cassiopeiae
    Cassiopeiae Member Posts: 263

If we're talking about luck I'd rather just have fixed maps rather than ######### or absolutely OP tile RNG.

• Maelstrom808
    Maelstrom808 Member Posts: 685

Again, if I have to choose between afk and hook suiciding, I'd have them afk every time.