Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

For those of you who hate dead hard because of the extra health state

BougieBlackChick
BougieBlackChick Member Posts: 316
edited April 2023 in General Discussions

I’m curious… you believe dead hard is unfair because it grants the survivor an extra health state correct? That’s what I’ve seen the majority of killer players say is the issue with it.

If that’s the case, do you also think it’s fair for killers to have perks/add-ons that give them the ability to insta-down survivors? I mean that essentially gives the killer the power to deny the survivor a health state. I’m talking about things like starstruck (if you get hit with starstruck on you, instant down) huntresses IRI heads that instantly down survivors, trappers add-on that is instantly downs a survivor who hit their trap, and then of course bubba and billy with their chainsaws, just to name a few examples.

Im curious how it’s seen as fair for killers to have these abilities that deny a health state but it’s not fair for survivors to have a perk that (IF they use it juuuust right) gives them an extra health state.

This isn’t an argument about the different between perks, add-ons or just basekit abilities. This is literally just asking about how it’s fair to give the killer the ability to deny a health state but not fair for survivors to add an extra health state if they’re skilled enough to use the perk accurately, assuming no lag or latency issues.

Comments

• BougieBlackChick

This is something I’d love the devs to weigh in on should one of them see this post.

• HugTheHag
    HugTheHag Member Posts: 3,140

Kinda agree honestly

• BougieBlackChick
    edited April 2023

I’m not speaking about the DH for distance nerf. I’m talking about the current DH that cannot simply be activated by “pressing a button” it actually requires skill and perfect timing to execute correctly. And again, even IF you do that you can still have it not work correctly due to killer lag or server latency issues, neither of which is under the survivors control.

This constant propaganda of DH being “just press a button” really needs to stop. It’s clearly more complicated than that.

• BougieBlackChick

Now this makes more sense. I still think limiting DH to one use per match whether it works or not is unfair, but I can see the overall logic. Also this assumes that every survivor is going to run DH and all of them will always be successful with it, and outside of high MMR swfs I’ve not seen any evidence of this being a common occurrence.

Personally I think it should be one SUCCESSFUL use per match (which they actually had originally in the PTB notes but removed) because as I said, DH failures happen all the time due to killer sided lag or DBD server latency which shouldn’t count against the survivor trying to use the perk.

I personally don’t see the issue in allowing it to be one successful use. If you land it, then you get your one dead hard. If you don’t, yes you get to try again but that still means you’re going down and getting a hook anyway.

• solarjin1
    solarjin1 Member Posts: 2,009

Most expose/ instant down effects are fine and only really a problem when camping.

Camping with huntress irl, pinky finger clown, bubba, infinite tier 3 Myers, etc. Such a cheesy cringe tactic.

• Pink_Ronin
    Pink_Ronin Member Posts: 118

Dead Hard needs to go back to how it was. Forget the extra health states and hit-negation, I want something that gives consistent value. Keep the contingency of having to get an unhook first if you want, but I want a short bit of distance and I-frames back. Just change the animation to a dive roll so it doesn't look like a weird dab/dash and it'd be perfect. The way it is now is more problematic and annoying for all parties.

• Marc_123
    Marc_123 Member Posts: 3,530

I never understood why you could use it multiple times.

That was the most annoying for me. Chase - DH. Off the Hook - DH. (Heal) - new chase - DH. Everytime - that was awful.

The new animation and the white hits i think looks strange.

I am convinced people never complained that much if DH was a one time perk like Unbreakable from the start. And i would take this version with the distance again.

• VikingDragonXii
    VikingDragonXii Member Posts: 2,885

You do know the DH for distance is the reason why it was nerfed in the first place.

• pigslittlepet
    pigslittlepet Member Posts: 483

that's the reason it was nerfed to start with. messed up a chase? no problem!! just press e and fly to that pallet! misjudged the distance to that window? no problem! press e and all your problems go away!!

• WashYourHands
    WashYourHands Member Posts: 255

Why are you even comparing survivor perks with killer perks? They're nothing alike. You're comparing oranges with apples. The only thing DH and instadown killer perks have in common is that they're both stupid.

• Jinxed
    Jinxed Member Posts: 248

I totally agree with you, there's nothing wrong with having a third health state in the game. DH has a very small window of use, if you time it wrong you get zero value.

I also find it funny that the problem with old DH according to killers was dead harding for distance and they were all celebrating when it was nerfed. Now that survivors have adapted the problem is the third health state.

• Brimp
    Brimp Member Posts: 2,893

Ngl bro it still looks like a gamble of a perk when someones riding your back and the lunge is just free value. Even if there is some sort of skill it's very little for this already very little effort/skill game.

• crogers271
    crogers271 Member Posts: 1,720

On a different note, successfully triggering Dead Hard is not skill-based, it's timing-based, it does not take skill to press a button when you think the killer will hit you, it does, however, require good timing and knowledge of what your opponent will do

Learn what words mean, because you might find that they mean something completely different to what you think they mean

I was going to call this insulting and pedantic, but I think it's just wrong. The ability to time something correctly is a demonstration of skill. You're calling for someone to educate themselves about words, but you're the one who is incorrect.

• Carth
    Carth Member Posts: 1,182

If I could activate a .5 second expose at will after performing a non-lunge attack? sure, I think they'd be comparable then

• hatchetChugger
    hatchetChugger Member Posts: 442
  • dollidahlia
    dollidahlia Member Posts: 343
    edited April 2023

what exactly can you do to a survivor who dead hards to a pallet? If you wait you get pallet stunned. And if you swing they get a boost and endurance. It’s a lose lose, it’s unfair

Post edited by Rizzo on
  • Nirgendwohin
    Nirgendwohin Member Posts: 1,251

not to forget plague, which can take away a complete health state unless you are hiding the whole game.

• Hubriq
    Hubriq Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 6

Devour Hope, the perk that requires the killer not to face camp... That's probably the perk that requires the most effort out of a killer ngl...

On a serious note though, there's no effort in Make Your Choice, Starstruck, Haunted Grounds or Iron Maiden.

Maybe Hubris or Dragon's Grip might require some investment, but then again killers generally run these two with synergetical perks that offset their downsides (Spirit Fury, Enduring, Brutal Strength, Overcharge, Pop Goes the Weasel, Nowhere to Hide, Call of Brine, etc.)

At least Dead Hard takes some skill as far as timing it goes... The afore mentioned perks take no effort at all, you're being delusional. In fact, I think NOED might be the one that takes the higher amount of skill, since there's a lot of decision making for the killer to do once it's lit.

• burt0r
    burt0r Member Posts: 4,152

There is nothing wrong with a third health state....on all 4 survivors......every chase 😂😂

Also the problem is and always was the free chase extension without prerequisite conditions or real limitations..

• Pink_Ronin
    Pink_Ronin Member Posts: 118
    edited April 2023

If we're comparing old DH to new DH the new one is actually worse for killers because it gives more distance.

Add on to that the hit negation which is clearly very triggering for killers because they feel that they're getting robbed of a hit on top of losing distance.

The only drawback with new DH is the timing is probably something like a 15% chance against a competent killer (unless you're on a pallet), whereas old DH if played right always had value unless you're in a dead zone.

I think bringing it back would be better for both sides.

Old DH was 100x more fun for survivors because there are so many ways to implement it for mind games outside of the intended use of dodging a hit. IMO it was less frustrating to deal with as killer too because you didn't have to deal with extra health states

• ButterFlee13
    ButterFlee13 Member Posts: 269

Try running expose perk and show us how you perform with that.

Make your choice, needs info perks to make it consistence.

All expose perk needs some info to make it worth running or else the duration will expire all the time.

Dead Hard - E

• DragonMasterDarren
    DragonMasterDarren Member Posts: 2,804

In my very subjective opinion, i think it varies from instance to instance

Hard-Reading a non-lunge m1? Yeah, that's pretty skilled, especially if you can do it consistently

Hitting the E-Key when the killer is lunging or using their power? Eh, not really that skilled honestly

• wydyadoit
    wydyadoit Member Posts: 1,145

extra health states would be fine - mettle of man and borrowed time come to mind - if it wasn't for the fact that generators go too fast.

chases are in a lot of ways one of the more exciting parts of dbd. so, making them take longer might make the game more fun for some. however, if generators are to remain the primary goal and ultimately the only team-oriented goal for survivors then... you can't have a free chase extender like deadhard. no matter how skill based it is.

might make more sense to have it be what it is currently on live servers if the game was truly team focused and things like repairing generators went faster if more people worked the same one rather than different ones.

the main thing is dbd has to have a solid game core. right now, it doesn't have that. so many things in the game overlap or are useless while others are just definitively better.

this is coming from someone that regularly uses exposed and killer executions. I will say this much - arguing against killers being more powerful than a solo survivor is pretty pointless. the killer has to be 4x more powerful than a single survivor. probably even more than that considering the effectiveness of communication. this game cannot be balanced on the core of "solo survivor" anymore.

• WesCravenFan
    WesCravenFan Member Posts: 2,638

A wonderful combination of Faulty Premise, a dash of Ad Populism and a sprinkling of False Dichotomy.

• FilthyLegionRevival
    FilthyLegionRevival Member Posts: 313

I still miss the distance part of dead hard. You can take away that extra health state, just lemme rush forward to whatever or dodge a swing/shot.

• BougieBlackChick

Except all four survivors arent running it and/or landing it in every chase. I don’t even run the perk myself at all. The situation you’re describing is extremely rare IF it even happens at all.

• MrMori
    MrMori Member Posts: 1,453
    edited April 2023

You claim that using Dead Hard successfully requires perfect timing, very high skill, and no interference from a whole slew of variables outside of your control to get to work. But you don't run the perk yourself at all? And you're saying that in your games, not that many survivors even run Dead Hard?

Do you play any killer? If you've got a high killrate, you'll see a lot of Dead Hard users as your MMR reaches the cap. Do you have a high MMR/escape rate on survivor? How comfortable are you in chase against M1 killers?

It's hard to explain why Dead Hard is considered broken and unfair compared to exposed without having an idea of your skill level.

• jinx3d
    jinx3d Member Posts: 519

exposed perks are earned by downing or hooking survivors or kicking gens with the exception of noed. killers with exposed powers at base need to earn them too (stalking, drones) and all of the exposed statuses are extremely conditional and/or on a time limit (again, except noed, and devour, which is up to the survivors to get rid of). you get dh during the most crucial part of a chase, the end, where the killer SHOULD be able to down and hook you, pushing you further to death and getting closer to their goal. Instead, they hesitate at any moment where they can, being forced to hit at a pallet, giving survivors the ability to extend a chase and giving their friends more time on gens. What does the killer do? chase another person with 3 healthstates? they cant wait it out at pallets, so what can they do? dh is unavoidable, while you can LITERALLY wait out exposed statuses (minus the hexs i mentioned before) because it tells you how long youre exposed most of the time.