Slugging Killer Strategy

AlphaYandere
AlphaYandere Member Posts: 66
edited May 2023 in General Discussions

Dont get me wrong, i'm a Killer Main but yesterday i played a few Survivor matches with a friend, we got a Clown on the Pale Rose map (an old TTV).

After he downed the first, he let him on the ground and searched for the next. (One Perk he had, was K.O.)

This Clown did not a singel Hook in this Match, he let all 4 bleading out for no reason.

I think this strategy should be bannable in my opinion, then that is more boring then everithing, (more than camping and tunnel)

Post edited by AlphaYandere on

Comments

• Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 5,197

Some time ago I had a similar match versus a Bubba, but Bubba at least had the decency at the end to hook us once we were all down.

I'm not sure how common this is otherwise, but BHVR could deal with penalising slugging then leaving on the ground to bleed out by making it reportable.

There are perks such as Unbreakable or Soul Guard which counters this but the sensible response to that is people should be able to bring perks for their playstyle and you are not going to know what happens before a trial begins.

As has been mentioned before, it's so ridiculously rare, but if this becomes more common I guarantee BHVR will bring in Unbreakable base-kit. People who play killer especially wouldn't like that, so I feel most would not want to tempt fate with such short-sightedness.

• CorvusCorax86
    CorvusCorax86 Member Posts: 1,064

I probably met the same guy yesterday just on Springwood. Same strategy: using KO to ensure we do not see downed mates and he just let us bleed out. It was an interesting strategy (and I also hate slugging); I do not believe this is bannable.

• Sonzaishinai
    Sonzaishinai Member Posts: 7,976

I don't mind this strategy as long as they do start hooking once everybody is down.

Honestly i find it a really interresting concept. What DbD would be without hooks. It would have been a lot easier to balance.

Camping for example would be way less effective. 2 minutes on a stationary hook is way easier to camp then 4 minutes on a person that can crawl away from objectives.

Tunneling would be less too. The best way to win would be to get all survivors down so hovering around a single survivor wouldn't have been as effective as it is now.

So yeah i don't mind these matches. I honestly would like to see this kind of hookless game mode

• LuthirFontaine
    LuthirFontaine Member Posts: 375

Please just give me a suicide button or something. No one likes to wait on bleed out.

• Wampa1
    Wampa1 Member Posts: 175

Some months ago the devs toyed with the idea of unbreakable base kit going so far as the testing stage,but it was scrapped at this point as I think they thought it would unbalance the game,slugging killers are pretty rare imo it’s a bit like going against swf bully teams I don’t think it’s a frequent enough occurrence imo to potentially unbalance the game.

• jajay119
    jajay119 Member Posts: 1,002
    edited May 2023

Slugging should be reviewed in general imo. It'll be an unpopular opinion amongst killers I know, but the exact ones who moan about 'free escapes' and 'unfair second chance perks' are often the ones who play like this, which is wholly ironic.

• ReikoMori
    ReikoMori Member Posts: 3,333

It has been reviewed and the thing people want, basekit unbreakable, was even tested. The devs didn't seem to see the results they were looking for. The goal has never been to make it impossible just mitigate its overall strength which they have via perks and considering the overall scale of the game doesn't seem to be a truly widespread issue

• jajay119
    jajay119 Member Posts: 1,002

They've said they're not finished trying to address it yet, fortunately.

• bm33
    bm33 Member Posts: 8,165

I had a scratched mirrors Myers recently running Knock Out that bled me out just because he could. He hid around corner and once teammates finally found me he'd chase them away. If they picked me up he just instantly downed me again. I was under a hook so 0 reason to not hook me, he just wanted to bleed someone out.

The only times I see Knock Out it is a killer using it to bleed out survivors. It should be reworked because it just encourages an unfun game mechanic and also mainly hurts solo survivors.

• Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 5,197

Yeah, I remember that. I'm just being pre-emptive and state that if this became a trend then that's what may be a possible repercussion. As you say, it's so rare I've only ever come across this once. It's just not uncommon to see people read these things and then decide it's a good idea.

• CrossTheSholf
    CrossTheSholf Member Posts: 208

problem is slugging is a necessary strategy and way to apply pressure sometimes. As is camping. "nerfing" those will lead to abuse by survivors like base kit bt.

• Caiman
    Caiman Member Posts: 2,595

Slugging is a valid strategy. However, Knock Out should probably be adjusted to hide the downed survivor's aura for a limited time, somewhere between 30 and 60 seconds probably, so that it doesn't disproportionately empower this strategy.

• Carth
    Carth Member Posts: 1,182

Slugging and using knockout to down survivors is fine. Leaving an entire team/person on the ground for four minutes just to be spiteful is the problem.

• AlphaYandere

yeah it is a necessary strategy but not "i'm letting every one on the ground and let dem blead out" thats so boring asf. and also it brings the Killer not really much BP. I do slug too but only if i have no hooks or Survivors are nearby, but this clown had no reason for that. He only wanted to be toxic.

• Sava18
    Sava18 Member Posts: 2,439

IMO slugging is wayyyy more interactive than tunneling and camping. Slugging is and has always been fine.

• AlphaYandere
    edited May 2023

sure but not "i leave everybody on the ground with K.O. and let them blead out for no reason" nobody was toxic, he had hooks nearby and nobudy was around of a downed person.

• Ariel_Starshine
    Ariel_Starshine Member Posts: 937

This is why I started bringing Unbreakable. I noticed lots of slugging in my matches and it usually works out quite well. Not the best but is a good counter for it!

• TWS001
    TWS001 Member Posts: 148

The Sadoko slugging condemned build nonsense is probably up there with Knight and Skull Merchant in terms of how painfully boring and joyless it is to play against. Thankfully it only occurs rarely.

The base kit unbreakable though would be awful. Sabo SWF's running Boil Over, Flip Flop and a couple of other perks would be unstoppable and killers would probably leave the game in droves. When I play killer, have already seen a big increase since the last big update of SWFs selecting certain maps that have guaranteed unhookable spots whilst running these perks, which is basically like asking to be slugged. Giving that build unbreakable for free is really a road we don't want to be going down. Unbreakable basekit would open up a whole host of other problems and would probably kill the game without a huge overhall of a large amount of perks.

• Krazzik
    Krazzik Member Posts: 2,475

I mean Knockout existing kinda shows BHVR is fine with hard-slugging. Yeah it's really boring for survivors but the devs are okay with it being a strategy in the game.

• IWasLeft2Die
    IWasLeft2Die Member Posts: 2,405

I kinda wish slugging got adjusted slightly to have more interesting gameplay for both sides with it. As far as balance goes its okay to me but it's not that interesting for me in either case

I will say I do use it if it's clear I'm going against a 4 man swf party who is ultra altruistic and sabo hook focused. You kinda have to in those situations honestly.