If you were affected by the Grade Reset Bloodpoints not being awarded properly, you will receive any missing Bloodpoints shortly. You may need to restart your game for the rewards to appear. Thank you for your patience!

Do you think the way you play makes sense in terms of your own fun?

Options
Veroles
Veroles Member Posts: 868
edited May 2023 in General Discussions

A few words in advance:

I know that topics like this can cause problems as reasons can vary wildly, but most are very understandable. So I just want to remind you that all opinions are welcome but try to be civil.

Personally, I've wondered how important it is for people to win in DBD and why, and how does that affect the way people play and if that really makes sense for their own enjoyment. Let's say you have three matches in a row where people trample you, and whatever you try, you walk out of the match with not even a kill.

Does it affect you in a way that you would say you're completely changing your playstyle in the future because others have been able to survive and you want to avoid feeling any kind of toxicity/negativity?

Or:

Would you say you don't care because it doesn't really matter and you run the risk of a significant defeat but the overall quality of the game is more comfortable for "you" on average because you make your decisions more freely?

And does the decision make sense and increase your overall personal fun?*

Post edited by Veroles on

Comments

• MikeyBoi
    MikeyBoi Member Posts: 534
    Options

When it comes to playing Hillbilly I’m usually running double engravings going for nothing but curves, but when I’m gettting annoyed at pallets being predropped and getting gen rushed and escaped on I get frustrated and best believe I’m throwing on lopro bamboozle with slowdowns m1ing if needed because now I’m switching up my playstyle and winning with ease compared to the playstyle I had last game.

• HugTheHag
    HugTheHag Member Posts: 3,138
    Options

I play very kindly for a killer. That's because a big part of my enjoyment comes from knowing everyone is enjoying the game, so even if I'm on a losing streak, I won't likely change my playstyle to be more efficient. I'd rather take a few losses but be consistent with my outlook on the game than change it because I'm salty.

Also, if I can't handle the teams I'm matched with, how would I do against the better teams once harsher playstyles or stronger builds carry me to a higher mmr bracket ? I'd just plateau there anyway and not enjoy my time more.

If I'm ever having a bad time because of consecutive losses when I'm trying, I just figure it's not my evening and close the game to do something else. Or cheer myself up with a purposefully friendly game.

So yeah, I'd rather risk more defeat but play how I enjoy than be objectively better at the game but playing in a way that doesn't do it for me.

Though I'll say teams who trample me are generally well-behaved and gracious in chat. I've received lots of advices and well-wishes from teams that got 4E.

• Annso_x
    Annso_x Member Posts: 1,611
    Options

I always try to be nice when I'm playing killer but I'd be lying if I said it's 100% an altruistic choice. I don't sacrifice my own fun for the sake of other people, but I wouldn't be enjoying the game knowing I'm making it unfun for others.

I can enjoy my games without getting any kills, so there's no reason for me to forbid somebody from playing by tunneling them to ensure I win. I also wouldn't have any fun standing still in front of survivor until they die, or on top of them until they bleed out.

I just play in an manner that's comfortable for me, which happens to be a chill game and therefore makes it more enjoyable for survivors as well. It's a win-win kind of situation, if I don't care about killing a survivor I might as well let them go in case they care about it. Also by playing in a comfortable manner, survivors who try harder than me will stomp me and move up in MMR where they'll meet other try harders, while I stay in MMR where my comfortable playstyle is viable.

• For_The_People
    For_The_People Member Posts: 109
    Options

As someone who has never played a PvP before until DBD and only ever played RPGs, Mario, Zelda etc it’s been incredibly difficult for me to display gaming traits that are perhaps second nature for others who play DBD.

Not for want of trying, I’ve long accepted that I may never actually improve things like looping (or it will take me some years to get there) and aiming elements like flashlights etc

However, I love the game and playing with friends (non-voice comms, just chatting and running commentary on discord). My own play style and perks/builds is usually team-oriented:

Boon Exponential, For the People (surprise!), Lithe (recent addition instead of CoH) and We’ll make it/flashbang depending on if there is someone else who has flashlight in the lobby or not.

I am often the weaker link in most teams so fully expect to die or won’t hesitate to hook trade at the end if it means a teammate escapes instead.

In the absence of any real talent, I try to make myself useful in other ways and be of value.

Fun for me is helping my team in small ways and the elation of the odd escape when there is a perfect storm of things going right.

• Annso_x
    Annso_x Member Posts: 1,611
    Options

This summons my DBD experience very well, so I can assure you you'll get better at looping at some point :) I'm still not great at it but I make do. Still haven't landed a flashlight save though, I still use flashbangs instead haha. Also you're not useless because you're not too good at looping, having good game sense and healing, unhooking (even trading when needed) and doing gens are good qualities in a survivor. There's only 1 person in a chase at a time, so it's much better to be a survivor that goes down quickly in chase than be a survivor who is useless out of chase ;)