We deployed a fix to solve an issue preventing players from unhooking, healing or picking up Survivors. Players will need to reboot to see the change reflected in-game. Thank you for your patience!

Please explain this mentality to me

Why do people dc or unalive themselves on hook on the first down? I can understand something like that part way through the game when it's clear the killer will win and you just want to get on with the next game. But when you do that right at the start of the game you throw the game for everyone else. As surv I'm like "great, another definite lose because someone had a tantrumn" as killer it's like "oh look another game where I don't need to try" like why even load into the game in the first place?

Comments

• Nos37
    Nos37 Member Posts: 4,142

My most recent attempt to "go next" was from a match on Haddonfield. I spawned behind the main house. Claudette was found first and ran him through the house. I went around the side of the house to sneak by and crouched when Claudette came out of the house and took off straight across the street. The Mastermind let her go, saw Renalto run past me, and let him go too, focusing on me.

I tried to go next, but was unhooked against my will and then subsequently mori'd.

• NODD3RS
    NODD3RS Member Posts: 146

Bc they dont want to play

• Annso_x
    Annso_x Member Posts: 1,611

I just feel like I should point out it's not always because of the killer. Sometimes killers think a survivor just screwed their team over bc they got mad they were downed, but sometimes a survivor runs the killer, can see no gen has been touched the entire time, go down, see their teammates being absolutely useless, and decide to leave. I did this once and didn't regret it as I spectated a Nea trying to do gens and never getting unhooked bc our two teammates were too busy tbagging in the basement.

• pokerdeck1
    pokerdeck1 Member Posts: 18

I think it's because they probably got in to way too many bad games recently, was the first one caught, got downed fast, didn't like the map, don't like the killer they're going against, probably their last game and closed app or just plain salty

• Zeidoktor
    Zeidoktor Member Posts: 2,060
  • ReikoMori
    ReikoMori Member Posts: 3,333

The game is only fun when they get to just do whatever they want and they are too godlike at the game to make any mistakes or suffer from any bad luck that results in them being the first to go down and get hooked.

• Krazzik
    Krazzik Member Posts: 2,475

They either don't like the killer they're going against, don't like the survivors they've been paired with or realised they can't get their archive done.

• bm33
    bm33 Member Posts: 8,147

Lots of reasons.

The game itself has kicked them when they wanted to play and if they're in SWF they're now telling their teammates what the killers load out is since that's what happens with game kicking you instead of choosing to DC on purpose. There's a bug report with bunch of likes about this one because it happens to players on multiple platforms and has been around for months. Happens alot at start of match when players lose health state/downed, killer uses power, hex totem cleansed... Basically lots of causes but no fix. Happens frequently to my SWF teammate and he hates it.

They don't like the killer. Maybe it's a Dredge and they don't feel like getting an eye strain migraine. Maybe it's the 5th SM in a row doing 3 gen from start and they don't want yet another 45 minute match.

They see their teammates doing nothing. Once downed they see the auras of couple just teabagging and pointing in the basement or just locker hopping.

Something in real life came up. Maybe pet needs them. Maybe they really need to poop. Maybe UPS is at the door and they need to sign for something.

They're experiencing technical issues in the game so want out so they can restart and fix whatever it is asap.

Once in match they see their ping is crazy high and don't want to play it.

Once in match the see killer getting crazy hits thanks to high ping and don't want to play it.

They had a teammate screw them over and don't want to play with them.

They've had multiple frustrating matches and finally had enough so just quit and go do something not DBD related.

They have an archive challenge and they don't think they'll get it done that match so they want to move on to next match as quickly as possible. Maybe they have "heal x health states of other survivors" but it's a Plague so they aren't going to make any progress that match and don't want to waste time.

Maybe they're just a bad sport that rage quits alot.

• lifestylee
    lifestylee Member Posts: 258
    edited May 2023

Ive had people do it while they were using strong items and were using rare BP offerings like BPS, whilst on strong survivor maps. Game is pretty much over for the other survivors then.

Ive also seen people dc on the spot vs pinhead or something, not being downed yet or attacked yet by him.

Probaly has something to do with frustration with not playing well, having bad teammates, not liking the killer or sometimes noticing the killer camping or something.

• FreddyVoorhees
    FreddyVoorhees Member Posts: 369

The primary reason is that they are on a tunnel streak. They might have had last 2-3 games where they were the first tunneled person out of the match. So now you down them first and they know what that means , why bother wasting another two minutes to be tossed out the match instead of starting a new one that might be interesting straight away. Or rage quit because of the same reasons above. They might wait and see if they will be tunneled and then DC but frustration has taken its toll by now.

I know how it feels , I was once on those 3-4 matches where I was first on the hook despite not starting a gen until the killer has passed , having all perks in stealth etc and looping as much as I could.. I did not dc but was very contemplating to do it the moment I ended up as first on the hook yet again.

• IWasLeft2Die
    IWasLeft2Die Member Posts: 2,405

I get more confused when people throw the game before you even find them (intentionally getting downed etc).

I know it's likely because of not wanting a particular killer and there are some killers I don't want to play against...but too bad. Just play the game. No reason to ruin the game because you have an enemy you don't care for

• LooeDbD
    LooeDbD Member Posts: 163

some killers arent fun

• sulaiman
    sulaiman Member Posts: 3,219

I think its about the same reason killers dc after 3 gens pop without a single hook. They know its already lost and want to go out.

That doesnt have to be on the killer, but i run bond on survivor all the time, and the number of people that just hide in the basement walking in circles, or hiding in a locker while you are in a chase and not even going in their direction often tells you how its going to end anyway. So most times its your teammates.

But having the 5.th blight or nurse in a row after the last 3 already camped, and the guy that hooked you seems unwilling to leave, yeah, you want to go to the match roulette again in hope of one decent match.

But i personally understand people dont like it, so i only play killer latly, until maybe decent solo matches are a thing again.

• HoodedWildKard
    HoodedWildKard Member Posts: 2,013

Not a killer main my dude. I play both roles equally, literally mentioned in the post that I play surv and this situation sucks for both roles. When I am killer I also pointedly avoid tunneling ppl off hook, opting usually to chase the unhooker. But I still see a lot of ppl ragequit before it's clear which way the match will go.

And as killer I rarely lobby dodge, last time is did was a full set of 4 high prestige fengs in the same outfit, 1 ttv and two gts with the word toxic in, 2 beams 2 toolboxes. It looked like an exhuasting match and i was just memeing with my deathslinger hex build. Usually I just hit play and let the game pan out.

• HoodedWildKard

I'm talking about real early DCs tho. Before it's clear where the match will go. Guess solo q players just tend to be more volatile when it comes to noping out.

• HoodedWildKard

Yh gamer mentality I guess. See it all the time on overwatch. Just affects dbd more because there is no backfilling. One early surv dc/willing death is an automatic killer win if they have any basic skill.

• luvcraft
    luvcraft Member Posts: 1,233

typically when I've seen this happen it seems like they're mad at themselves for getting downed so early.

earlier today I had someone who just stood at a hook, and I asked him why in post-match and he said that he had had a bad Pinhead match just before and didn't want to play pinhead again.

• JustAnotherNewbie
    JustAnotherNewbie Member Posts: 1,941

The chances of someone dcing or unaliving themselves increase exponentially if they're holding a flashlight.

• MeanieDeeny
    MeanieDeeny Member Posts: 533

If I have a teammate that intentionally brings the killer to me at the beginning, to get the heat off themselves and I get downed and hooked as a result. I will either dc or kill myself on hook.

Example 1: Today..Match starts, I start with Yoichi at kill shack..he immediately starts vaulting in and out the window...I start walking out the door, (I run distortion for a reason)..Nurse appears due to noise, hits me whilst appearing... I turn to run back through door. Yoichi (still standing in kill shack) drops shack pallet as soon as I turn around so Nurse can down me. Nurse, Me/ Palett, Yoichi. I did leave the match. I don't want to play with teammates like that, SoloQ is hard enough.

Plot twist: Played killer two matches after this and got the Yoichi in my lobby. The entity was good to me.

Example 2: Tonight...Match starts, Wesker is immediately in our terror radius..I duck behind rock, Meg has an insta chase..gets injured...and knowing I am ducked behind random rock, brings Wesker to me..he downs and hooks me. Meg is free to leave and heal and continue the match that just started, without injury or hook.

Why do I care about whether they have a balanced match?

• HoodedWildKard

Facts. Saw a triple flashlight team so i brought lightborn, because you know that's kind of a no brainer. First down, i pick up the unlucky surv and a nea pops up out of nowhere to blind me. As soon as I start moving with the surv I hear the dc noise. Thought the person I was carrying DCd but turns out it was the would be flashlight saver. Never even laid a finger on them they just ragequit because i brought a perk to counter their tool 🤣

• bm33

The amount of survivors in first chase that run killer directly at teammates is ridiculous. It's happening way more often and it's always at someone on a gen.

• Pluto_1
    Pluto_1 Member Posts: 337

I like it when a survivor brings me to their whole team. As far as I'm concerned a DC is a no BP kill. That being said, if it's an early DC then the other three will be let out hopefully with lots of BP for both sides.

• I_CAME
    I_CAME Member Posts: 1,218

Sometimes you just get uncontrollably mad for stupid reasons. Earlier I was sandbagged by a Leon which gave the killer a free hit. I then ran directly into a zombie after being hit with a tentacle. This was my last game in a long five hour session. It was a perfect storm of things that made me rage quit. A combination of dumb teammates and my own lack of awareness.

• JustAnotherNewbie

Ok, but that would mean everyone needs to run Bond to not do that. If you don't bring it you don't know where your teammates are, it's not malicious that you bring the killer to your teammates while trying to find a loop.

• MeanieDeeny
    MeanieDeeny Member Posts: 533

I really truly believer it's intentional more often than not. I know it happens by accident, once in awhile..but if I accidentally do it, I immediately try to reroute killer. Tonight I had a Feng working with the killer..for no known reason..showing where we all were (I was actually doing you know, gens) and someone had kindred..so that made it worse in this case. I don't understand the people playing this game. There are so good ones, but i've had some really terrible players in my "team" today.

• bm33

You can tell accidental v on purpose. When they're running by because you happen to be in a strong loop is one thing - wrong place/wrong time happens. It's when the survivors see you on gen and will head straight for you to run right up against you and have killer go after you instead - this is the one that's had an increase. They end up doing it multiple times throughout match too, it's how they lose killer in chase while getting teammates killed.

• indieeden7
    indieeden7 Member Posts: 3,366

I don't like to admit it, but yesterday I ended up doing this quite a few times because I'd spent upwards of 5 hours trying to get a tome challenge done. After the first couple of hours of failed attempts, my temper had grown extremely short. I generally believe that the main cause of issues like this is, as others have suggested, a long string of bad matches or experiences. It can be difficult to look for the good in a match when you've had so many bad ones back to back.

• JustAnotherNewbie

Ok sure, but if the teammate is only hiding and maybe doing a gen but never taking the focus on themselves they kinda have a hand in their teammate being tunneled. I'm not defending throwing on purpose to spite someone. But teammates who have not being hooked all game should at some point I(before it's too late) be willing to take aggro off of their teammate or something. I think that's the other situation I would imagine it's acceptable (other than accidentally bringing the killer). Although most of the time those teammates have spine chill on to avoid the killer all game. Just my opinion, playing too stealthy can also be detrimental for the team. All survivors should be willing to give their hook state if a teammate is about to be hooked for the 3rd time (I also fail sometimes to prevent that in time) and sometimes their teammate is too far anyway.

• bm33

The players doing this are the ones with no hook states. They are doing it from the first chase in the match (which was original comment I responded to saying there's been an increase). As I said in last comment - they will also do this the entire match because it's how they lose the killer. They won't even be in chase long, the moment they see a teammate they head straight for them. These players are the ones with 0 hooks and they'll run right at a teammate on death hook. These are the types of players that have increased.