The current state of tunneling

I would really love a response from a dev on this one. Since they killed the 3-gen meta, a single playstyle has become more prevalent than ever. And it's killing the game. You are going to address face camping, which is great. But when are you going to address tunneling? The base kit bt is not enough, off the record is not enough. Nothing is enough right now in the face of a killer that is brainlessly tunneling a survivor at 5 whole gens. I play both killer and survivor equally I would say and while i am playing killer, especially my main, artist, i manage to get wins without tunneling and i try to do that knowing how frustrating it is to face. On the other hand, as a survivor player i have not escaped a single trial in the last 2 weeks. I swear to god, i have all my trials records from the past 2 weeks, cause i wanted to keep them and see what's going on with tunneling so i can come up with this post. Tunneling is a problem. 40% escape chance was the desired ratio right? Well, during my last 2 weeks i have not escaped once thanks to tunneling. Each and every match, i got yet again against another killer that's set his mind to tunnel from second 1, either me or my teammates, and they even have the builds to support it, so i never get the chance toe scape cause by the time we finish the 1st gen, there's only 3 survivors left. They won't stop tunneling even if you give them downs, they won't stop for anything. They are just tunneling against and again and again. And i am so tired of this. I love the game and it's concept, but i cannot keep playing in the hopes that some day i will finally get to escape. I also want to be able to win some trials and when i lose i wanna know the reason i lost so i can get better. *Right now the reason i lose is because the killer decides to turn their brain off and mindlessly get an easy w by tunneling. And the worst thing? THERE IS LITERALLY NOTHING I CAN DO TO STOP IT. Solo queue is already a nightmare and all this tunneling just makes it even worse, cause even if I manage to get a 3gen chase, after I go on the hook and I get off of it I just get tunneled like I never even had a chance. So yeah, that's my rant. Tunneling is the biggest problem in solo queue right now. And I guess my question at the end of the day is: Are the devs gonna do something about it? are they gonna give us a chance to once in a while escape a trial while solo-queueing? or do I just leave the game now and i exempt myself from even more pain and frustration? Cause the actual state of the game and of tunneling is no it. It's just horrible and yet no one seems to be talking about it, so i thought i did.

Answers

• JustAnotherNewbie
    JustAnotherNewbie Member Posts: 1,941
    edited May 2023

Me earlier vs a Wraith: hooks me first, then he's in chase with someone else. As soon as I am unhooked he comes back and stops chasing the other guy. He does it again later, he was chasing Bill as soon as I got unhooked again he came back and didn't bother with Bill.

Everyone did gens and got out.

This guy just lost the game over chasing me, but I'm sure he thought it was necessary to win.

• Fawiola
    Fawiola Member Posts: 88

It is if you tunnel at 5 gens and hit the survivor thousand times at the hook. Teabag survivor If they are down.

• HugTheHag
    HugTheHag Member Posts: 3,138

I might just be disensitized to it from 6.1 and not notice it anymore, but ever since the midchapter I haven't seen a single instance of hard tunneling on me or my teammates. I saw some beautiful snowballs, but no intentional tunneling that couldn't have been avoided if the survivors hadn't been healing under hook with killer out of chase or something equally unfortunate.

Granted, I haven't played much, but I must have put some 20h since then and usually it takes less than that to encounter such a widespread practice. In fact, most killers I've seen have been quite fair, and some of them were very cute in endgame chat.

Lower mid mmr is truly blessed.

• VikingDragonXii
    VikingDragonXii Member Posts: 2,885

Splitting this up so it's not a history report long post lmao.....

I'm all for getting rid of Face Camping but what I don't like is how not too long ago the Devs said in a post that Camping, Tunneling and Slugging are valid strats.....

Now Face camping is NOT how the game is supposed to be played and currently what we know about the new anti camp system is that I can punish Killers who don't camp due to how the system works. Now I know we don't know the exact numbers so I'm just going with what BHVR has released so far. (So this might change once I can test out the system first hand).

But back to my point....what will stop BHVR from saying Tunneling is not how the game is supposed to be played or Slugging is not how the game is supposed to be played......with the current fixes to 3-gens (and yes I agree stopping a Killer from going right for the 3-gen from the start is needed) it also kills 3-gens I'm general with the current state of Gen Speed Perks Meta that seems to keep getting ignored.....

• Raptorrotas
    Raptorrotas Member Posts: 3,202

So your answer is 3 gens, interesting.

Personally I think most people ignore the whole timeframe before the first survivor dies and then lament the 3v1 at 5 gens because they were simply unwilling to use that time. Its not the killers fault the 4v1 turns into a 3v1 like the trial started with just 3 survivors. That'd be by the way the only scenario where crying about a 3v1 being unfair would be applicable.

• G_Hunters
    G_Hunters Member Posts: 74

You sound like a very new player,no escape in weeks? Not even hatch? That's very bad luck.

You probably found killers that always tunnel,no matter what team/situation and what players they face.

You should start watching guides on you tube on about how to loop the map tiles etc,I don't know if I can make names here but try Otzdarva,he is a Bhvr fog whisperer so it should be safe to name him.

Personally,I'm more of a killer main but I still play some survivor (solo) game from time to time to lessen the heat and I escape many times (I die the majority of it of course,you are not expected to always survive and I'm an unexperienced looper but still).

The biggest tip I can give is,if a killer tunnels you from the start of the match,it means you have all the resources (pallets) at your disposal,keep him busy,you can potentially have a 5 gens chase if the team focuses the generators.

Don't say you cannot do anything about it because that is not true,don't have this kind of mentality,that is not healthy for you or the community in general.

Remember that most of the time tunneling happens for a reason,who plays the killer role a lot knows,generators can be completed in a matter of minutes and chasing and hooking people 12 different times is not always possible (basically never on the higher mmrs),that is not fair and unfun too.

• G_Hunters

No way man,forgive me but I don't believe you,this seems like an overexageration.

If you are always getting paired with a team of new players that don't know what to do I would just say you are very unlucky with mmr.

• Timmylaw
    Timmylaw Member Posts: 215

My time to play is late night when matchmaking has always regularly sucked, last night I gave it a chance and one of my teammates had 1 day and a few hours of gametime. Like 30 whopping hours and we got a P70 blight that had the whole lobby slugged in under 2 minutes. First down in probably 15 seconds, it was nuts.

Next match perma tier 3 Meyers hard face camping me with 2 teammates hiding behind a wall nearby for the entirety of my first hook doing absolutely nothing.

Face camping bubba.

Tunneling Wesker.

A Wesker that was terrible but 1 teammate opening chests all game and 1 doing God knows what, third used damn near every pallet on the map first chase, no resources left. Everyone dies at 1 gen left, 1 gen that was there for probably 3 minutes.

Face camping bubba, I closed dbd after that. That was last nights gaming session. There was 1 hatch escape and I don't think a single person made it thru the gates.

Between matchmaking incentives already screwing up mmr and being late night it's unplayable for me anymore. I wish it was an exaggeration.

• Timmylaw

DS needs to go back to 5 seconds, the mere threat of DS did a ton to stop tunneling.

• TBUK
    TBUK Member Posts: 8

Had my fill of tunnellers tonight from gen5's (soloq for me), last 4 games before i quit for the night, 2 weskers in a row hardcore tunnelling others, on the 2nd i offered myself up, got downed and he still chased the David down across the map (via killer instinct).

Then i had break from the tunnelling for a scratched mirror myrs in the meat plant, just stabbing away then leaving the chase straight away, this went on for 15mins straight(somehow we had 4 gens next to each for the final 2, and 2 of the soloq kept running off after every stab to selfcare) before i just ran up to him to die, had enough.

Followed by final match of the night back into tunnelling with an artist, chasing down some poor sod they caught first, and as usual moves a good distance away firing crows waiting for the unhook and tunnel, a lost match.

For those crying BNP's as an excuse to tunnel at 5 gens, you rarely, ever see this in soloq which is the majority of all games. In my last week of grinding the riftpass (usually uk night time) i've seen 2 BNP when i ended up team with a clear TTV duo swf and ended up getting stomped by a good wraith.

• appleas
    appleas Member Posts: 937

i see BNP and syringes half the time. Different regions have different levels of sweat.

• Timmylaw

Personally, I want bhvr to make spreading hooks worthwhile. Give killers a reason not to tunnel.

I think ds should also go back to 5 seconds but keep the new restrictions on it so it can't be used in end game and it only works when being tunneled.

Before it's nerf, the mere existence of DS prevented a lot of tunneling.

• Reinami
    Reinami Member Posts: 4,870

So give incentives to killers, by rebuffing a perk that makes it so every survivor runs it, recreating the meta they tried to get away from?

How about, give incentives to killers by balancing the game around hooks instead of kills and rewarding hooks.

• G_Hunters

Dead by LateNight!

Jokes aside,if it can make you feel better,all these sweats you met will probably end steamrolled by some swf team ahahahah.

I too don't play the game much nowadays,it is not burnout,it's just that,most of the time,the players that can be found can be really tilt inducing to the point of wanting to log off immediately,from cheaters to uneducated baboons that insults you in the endgame chat for no apparent reason etc.

• Timmylaw

Those were two different sentiments, give killers a reason to not tunnel by making it worthwhile, and then buff ds so it's never an issue for the people who go out of their way for the sole reason of being a troll and ruining one person's match.

• NotAnotherDoctor
    NotAnotherDoctor Member Posts: 263

They keep nerfing gen regression perks without touching gen progression perks.

The tunnelling situation was inevitable. What else do you expect to happen when the majority of killers are getting their first hook after 2-3 gens have popped?

• Reinami
    Reinami Member Posts: 4,870

Making it a perk is not the solution. Its a band-aid. Perks should not be required. It should be impossible due to base game mechanics.

• Crowman
    Crowman Member Posts: 8,746

The only way a killer can tunnel a survivor out at 5 gens is if the survivors literally do not touch gens at all. The idea that the killer should wait for survivors to do gens before they can kill is simply survivors pushing their issues on the killer unfairly.

• Phantom_
    Phantom_ Member Posts: 1,185

They don't care. It took them 7 years to "do" something about camping. The first actual thing they did is locked behind a DLC.

• Paternalpark
    Paternalpark Member Posts: 407

It's like house trying a puppy.

Why go outside when you can just relieve yourself inside? As such why should a killer play optimally when they can just hard tunnel and relax then after?

If bhvr don't rectify killer's "unfair" strategies they will usually take the easy way out.

Same with the puppy. You want it to go outside but you don't want to be too tough.

Bhvr didn't rectify anything out of fear and now the carpet is ruined.

• illNicola
    illNicola Member Posts: 482

I agree, bhvr should give incentives (i.e. in game advantages, not bp) to killers to make tunneling less convenient... Which currently bhvr isn't doing at all, is it? Does nerfing all of gen defense and adding more stuff to gen speed seem to incentivize mixed hooks? I do not think so.

However, I should add that tunneling is not always easy, since many maps are super safe and surv side, so tunneling is not easy. It also depends on what killer you're using. If I use the Blight for example it doesn't make too much sense that I tunnel, since I'm using a pretty strong killer. If I use Legion for example, how can you expect me not to tunnel? Especially considering that I don't play against noobs, I play against swfs at high mmr.

Not to spam my ideas, since they aren't even appreciated (sigh), but I also have some ideas to stop tunneling, or at least reduce it, and I also posted it some time ago on this forum. No one considered it, the only one who answered said it sucks and doesn't make sense. My idea, essentially, would be to "penalize" the survivors who get hooked, each survivor is penalized by a certain amount based on how much he was hooked, so that a killer can reason by saying "If I make mixed hooks, every surv will have at least a certain amount of penalty, instead if I kill one immediately the others are at 100% strength". For me it would be the perfect idea, also because by doing so the devs can play around this mechanic with perks and maybe some add-ons.

• buffcoyote
    buffcoyote Member Posts: 120

I don't understand where this hyperbole is coming from. Who is saying to wait for Survivors to do gens? Where are you getting this from?

Your first sentence is just incorrect. That simply just does not happen. Have you played solo queue? Do you know how many times a skilled Survivor will be trapped playing with random casuals who have less than 100 hours in the game? I myself have been a victim of witnessing my entire team being slaughtered in minutes, while I am still working on the first gen on the other side of the map.

• Crowman
    Crowman Member Posts: 8,746

The killer tunneling at 5 gens or when all gens are done are the same. The amount of gens done is dependent on the survivors, because a tunneling killer is not pressuring gens.

Complaining about killers tunneling at 5 gens is just saying that you and your team failed to work on your objective.

• buffcoyote

The game just needs to be balanced around spreading hooks and encouraging the fun (albeit challenging) part of the game, which is the chase.

Toolboxes need to be nerfed or reworked into primarily sabotage. Gen perks on BOTH SIDES need to be removed completely from the game, other than something like Technician (haha). Using Resilience while working on a Gen is fine, since it requires the player being injured to get that 9% boost. A lot of killers run Thana and Sloppy Butcher, so it will offset the boost anyways. That's my suggestion.

• buffcoyote

"Complaining about killers tunneling at 5 gens is just saying that you and your team failed to work on your objective." -- This is just a gaslight of the Survivor experience. If you were talking to someone less nuanced than I, they would tell you the same thing about Killers. "You can't be gen-rushed, you're just not good enough at chase."

A Killer tunnels at the start of the match, chooses the wrong Survivor and ends up still chasing the same Survivor for 5 Gens. Then they rage when they all get out. Then hop on the forums and complain that they were gen-rushed by an SWF. It's just not rooted in reality. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy. The game has problems right now, but tunneling is just as abusive and unhealthy to the game as camping is. I understand perfectly well why both playstyles are being done. That doesn't mean I think they're OK.

• EmmaFrostyEyes
    EmmaFrostyEyes Member Posts: 685

The solution is easy, dont load up the game and then you dont get tunneled😝 thats what im doing currently lmao

• Akumakaji
    Akumakaji Member Posts: 4,929

Or just make the debuffs go away/become significantly weaker/dont get any more debuffs for further hooks, once a survivor bites the dust. Thus you would have both: an incentive to go for more hooks without hurting yourself AND an incentive not to tunnel the first player out of the game asap.

• Sometimes_Sage
    Sometimes_Sage Member Posts: 143

This is getting ridiculous:

"Make Killers stop doing what the game design tells them to do!"

"So let's give them an alternative but equaly strong strategy."

"No! It has to be a nerf! Preferably one that also hits Killers who don't even do the thing I'm upset about."

• VikingDragonXii
    VikingDragonXii Member Posts: 2,885
    edited June 2023

And make the buffs/debuffs strong enough to be worthwhile but not so strong that it becomes overwhelming to the Survivors. That's why it should be aix if Killer Buffs and Survivor Debuffs, also make it so if the killer does tunnel the same player they lose those debufs if they hook them two times in a row

• Kamartins
    Kamartins Member Posts: 39

It would also mean that games could last 30 minutes each as spreading hooks would be very time consuming

• DavidHypnos
    DavidHypnos Member Posts: 730

The game is designed for tunneling? Because when I play killer I go for whoever I can get first and I’m usually already onto the next survivor before the first one is even unhooked. If I happen to find the same survivor again yeah I’ll go for it but I never build a plan to just focus on one person until they’re dead. That’s a poor strategy and a jerk move. The game was designed to chase and hook every survivor. It was never designed for tunneling specifically.

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,127

They had an equally strong strategy, people still tunneled and camped.

The issue is that making the game a 3v1 is so busted that anything else that even comes close to that is absurdly strong.

A 3v1 shouldn't be as Killer-favored as it is right now.