We are investigating an issue in the game that causes strobing/flashing lights, and are focused on fixing it as soon as possible. Some players may be impacted by this issue and experience discomfort from it, so we recommend taking proper precautions.

And until we fix this issue, we recommend that players with photosensitivity, or who have an epileptic condition or have had seizures of any kind consult their physician before playing.

Id really like a viable self heal because playing solo your team isn't reliable most the time

Options
GHOSTfaceP3
GHOSTfaceP3 Member Posts: 1,363

Seriously, the self care nerf was unnecessary and it makes playing survivor awful, I've been playing this game since like 2018 and took a year long break because solo was awful and it's STILL awful... people can call me entitled and if me wanting a way to self heal without sabotaging my team is entitled then I guess I'm entitled... I have over 8k hrs into this game at this point and most of that I solo so I think my opinion is valid considering my play time

Comments

• AssortedSorting
    AssortedSorting Member Posts: 949
    Options

If it were balanced against average time spent communicating and repositioning for SWF heals it could be a contender for a SoloQ/SWF bridge.

Of course balanced against the fact that if used it enables another Survivor to keep doing their own thing.

• Yippiekiyah
    Yippiekiyah Member Posts: 424
    Options

Botany and self care is good combo.

• Saiph
    Saiph Member Posts: 293
    Options

I'd argue the self-care nerf in 6.1 was the single worst change that BHVR has ever done.

It considerably widened the gap between casual and veteran players for no good reason. It made solo queue an even more frustrating experience, where you get teammates who do totems instead of gens, but now they also have to spend half the game healing in a corner on top of it. This nerf also made it apparent that BHVR balance team has no clue of how their game works, preferring a mindless pickrate-based approach to balance rather than trying to understanding it or simply listening to veteran players.

Self-care was already considered a weak perk before it was nerfed, as CoH gave you the same effect but for your whole team, and medkits give you a much better effect than both without any perk requirement. Otzdarva rated it 3/5 (mediocre) in his 5.4 perk tier list, that was BEFORE the nerf.

But it was a popular perk for casual players, because it was easy to unlock, had a very noob-catchy description, and because most casual players simply didn't realize how much busted the medkits were.

Then BHVR balance team looked at an Excel spreadsheet, saw that self-care was the top survivor pick, and nerfed it, without any consideration. The perk had high pickrate, so it had to be OP. Even worse, every content creator knew that this nerf was stupid, but they did not complain about it, because 6.1 patch also brought many other changes (like Dead Hard 1st nerf), and nobody really cared about a perk that only casual players use.

For me, this change single-handedly killed the casual playstyle. For months after 6.1, self-care was still top 5 survivor perk on nightlight, despite being considered universally a throw pick (at least without botany). Low MMRs kept equipping the perk regardles and lost game after game as a result, so they stopped playing. Mid-MMR players got these low MMR players as teammates, so they progressively stopped playing, too. Which leads to the sweat fest that DBD has become now.

• Nazzzak
    Nazzzak Member Posts: 4,336
    Options

Honestly, bring We'll Make It. My team mates will 9/10 times drop for me to heal them, and they'll always return the favour. I also like to bring a medkit for late game when there's less people available to heal me.

• nars
    nars Member Posts: 1,124
    Options

Inner healing is a great perk. Also, med kits are still viable even though much weaker. A brown med kit with gel dressings and bandages gets you a decent enough 2 heals. Built to last makes it 5.

• scoser
    scoser Member Posts: 417
    Options

Inner Healing, a brown medkit, and Bond to find a teammate to heal you are all great options I utilize. There aren't too many killers that do hit and run these days, so you won't usually need more than a heal or three before you escape or are sacrificed.

• GolbezGarlandGabrant
    GolbezGarlandGabrant Member Posts: 736
    Options

I used to do Reactive Healing and Self Care to help cut down on heal time but now that Haemorrhage is more common Reactive Healing has become worthless.

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 7,961
    Options

Overzealous+Inner Healing is solid. Just bring a map to find totems.

• Eelanos
    Eelanos Member Posts: 312
    Options

Solo can't have 💩 because anything balanced for solo will immediately be broken and abused by SWFs.

You're better off running auto-heal perks like Inner Healing or Renewal, remain wounded with Iron Will or, if you're in desperate need of an on-demand heal, self-care with botany and assume a role of semi-healer.

If none of these options sound appealing to you, an alternative could be using Bond to find team mates to heal you. Kindred + Open-Handed + Bond is a particularly strong soloq build. People feel more confident putting their hands on gens if there's someone giving info on the specific location of the killer, and Open-Handed Kindred can easily reveal killers pretty much everywhere on smaller maps.

Personally, I've had some surprisingly successful moments with Iron Will, completing gens literally in front of killers while wounded, but no single build is going to get you the reliability you're looking for. Iron Will just bypasses the need to heal and you can just do other stuff until you stumble upon someone else to heal you.

• MrPeanutbutter
    MrPeanutbutter Member Posts: 1,586
    edited June 2023
    Options

One of many ways that solo q could be brought closer to the same playing field as SWF would be to increase self healing speed for a full solo q game (or maybe at most 2 SWF playing together) and nerf healing speed for 3-4 SWF playing together. This concept could be applied to many other perks/game mechanics to balance the game better. But we all know that SWF won’t be touched because 💰💰💰

• Ghoste
    Ghoste Member Posts: 2,135
    Options

What's stopping you from bringing a medkit? You can get up to 2 self heals per match. At 8k hours, you should have more than enough to use every game if you want.

• mizark3
    mizark3 Member Posts: 1,756
    Options

I would go as far as saying all 6.1.0 double nerfs should have only been single nerfs. DS/Pop/Ruin/IronWill/Self-Care/Thana (which should have just stayed at 5% per Surv instead).

• Brokenbones
    Brokenbones Member Posts: 5,155
    Options

Use Renewal and (optionally) combo it with We'll make it to get it active asap.

Heal your teammates super fast and get automatically healed after being unhooked.

It's my go-to.

• Murgleïs
    Murgleïs Member Posts: 1,046
    Options

Medkit.

• Beatricks
    Beatricks Member Posts: 857
    Options

Botany+Self Care.

Not as quick as a medkit, but has unlimited uses and cannot be Franklin'd. Wasting time looking for totems when others might have already gobbled them up is also prevented unlike Inner Healing. As opposed to Renewal, you don't need to unhook someone safely first.

• CorvusCorax86
    CorvusCorax86 Member Posts: 1,043
    edited June 2023
    Options

This. Whichever survivor I play with this is a mandatory perk (along with Distortion). It is a good tunneling-repellent. The speed is just great and it lasts for a while so you don't have to do the healing immediately at the hook.

• lav3
    lav3 Member Posts: 758
    Options

Try Bond, Empathy. Honestly I wish Pharmacy gave 16 sec self-heal medkit atm.

• GrimReaperJr1232
    GrimReaperJr1232 Member Posts: 1,654
    Options

Medkit (can bring with add-ons + BTL) and Inner Strength work fine. It's also not insane to bring self care, but use it as an emergency plan B rather than a primary source of healing, especially with Sloppy involved.