BHVR is Losing Another License

Options
2»

Comments

• BlightedDolphin
    BlightedDolphin Member Posts: 1,677
    Options

Sorry thought it was longer than that.

The contract ending does seem likely then. Still, one year contract is pretty good for skins.

• Nazzzak
    Nazzzak Member Posts: 4,782
    Options

Agreed, I think a year is fine. Once the novelty wears off they wouldn't be making much sales.

• SleepyLunatic
    SleepyLunatic Member Posts: 382
    Options

So many people dont know how licenses etc work and they always trashtalk BHVR for it.

Sad.

• Alen_Starkly
    Alen_Starkly Member Posts: 1,073
    Options

It's not just about whether I'll have the skins. Many people in the future won't be able to buy them, and that saddens me. I am always happy when cosmetics from the rift that I already have come to the store, because it means people who don't have them yet are able to get them. I love seeing the cosmetic variety in DBD.

I guess I can only hope that the licence will get renewed at some point.

• Ghoste
    Ghoste Member Posts: 2,135
    edited June 2023
    Options

Just look at Fortnite, Fall Guys, etc. Plenty of DLC that you can't buy anymore. Is what it is.

• BarnesFlam
    BarnesFlam Member Posts: 654
    Options

The further you stay away from those games with similar practices, the better.

• BarnesFlam
    Options

I will have a problem with every single removed licence.

• BarnesFlam
    Options

How being angry at content being removed is a bizzare reaction to you?

• BooperDooper
    BooperDooper Member Posts: 266
    edited June 2023
    Options

Maybe this is an unpopular opinion, but I'd prefer they only make contracts with licences that will allow continued sale of content using that licence so long as the game exists/is still live. I'm not really here for the limited time 1 year, 3 years and so on licences. Especially with cross progression not existing across platforms still, if people switch they cannot use that content. And I feel like it alienates new players, missing out on these licenced killers, survivors and cosmetics that they see everyone else being able to use. It also creates fomo, with people urgently spending money that they shouldn't be spending or just don't have. Idk, just not for me, I'd rather them only go for licences that aren't limited.

• Nazzzak
    Nazzzak Member Posts: 4,782
    Options

If that was the choice offered to BHVR with AoT, then I doubt the license would have happened at all. It would have cost them heaps more than just a 1 year contract, with no way of breaking the agreement if sales did not pan out. Chances are it's not cost effective to extend the agreement (provided that was an option) based on current sales of the cosmetics.

• Shroompy
    Shroompy Member Posts: 6,274
    Options

Prepare to throw a few more temper tantrums then because no license is safe. At the end of the day everything is a business and with that things. It may seem like 2 entities have a good relationship but that can change. Its exactly what happened with Stranger Things.

Calling the ST and AoT situations FOMO is like some guy accusing another of attempted murder because he ran onto oncoming traffic. Both had the possibility of having the exact same ######### outcome, the only difference is the intent of the person behind the wheel.

• BarnesFlam
    Options

It's FOMO because content is being removed, no matter what happens in the backstage. And I did blame the AoT owners for this situation in one of my previous posts.

Weird to compare digital content to murders. 🤔

• Superyoshiegg
    Superyoshiegg Member Posts: 1,479
    edited June 2023
    Options

If everyone was as pedantic about this topic as you are, then no form of media ever would feature any IP crossovers.

Why would Grand Theft Auto bother licensing songs when they're going to get removed twenty years down the line because of licensing issues?

• Shroompy
    Shroompy Member Posts: 6,274
    Options

FOMO is a term used when its specifically used as a marketing strategy, such as skins only available for a certain time period like the upcoming Masquerade skins for Feng and Ghost Face

Stranger Things and the Attack on Titan collection had no intention of ever leaving but of course its inevitable. No license will ever stay

Also its not comparing I just couldnt think of a better analogy at the time

• Pumpkinbros
    Pumpkinbros Member Posts: 424
    Options

I swear some of you don't understand fundamental copyright law...

Look at Fortnite, Overwatch, and Fall guys, all of them do licensed skins, and all of them are limited some are limited to a single day, BHVR kept these skins reserved for us for an entire year, you had a whole YEAR to purchase them, but we still gotta complain because it's leaving now. The skins aren't even leaving, they're just leaving the store, it's just the same as any other limited-edition skin. I'm slightly disappointed that we continue to paint BHVR in a bad light when it comes to licenses, BHVR even confirmed that the stranger things license was all on Netflix's end, they even contacted Netflix asking if they could get their license back, and Netflix left them on read. it's not like BHVR wants to get rid of licenses, if a permanent option was available they'd go with it in a heartbeat, and that's why we basically have ghost face for good

• Smoe
    Smoe Member Posts: 2,539
    edited June 2023
    Options

You're pretty spot on with everything you just said, also i've always wondered what the devs would do if they couldn't use the ghostface mask anymore, would they still use the character but give him some original mask instead like how MTV did with the Lakewood Slasher when they couldn't do Ghostface at the time?

• Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 4,907
    Options

It is what it is. I've even read about Fifa losing licences for different world leagues in the past (I don't play football games, but I'm assuming this would be a fairly big deal).

Whilst the "Stranger Things" loss was disappointing to hear, they said they had learnt since then. Honestly, cosmetic licences are fine to come and go with me. There's every chance it could come back and if it does not, well that's the world of licencing.

I get the frustration, but it is - at the end of a day - a business relationship. All sides for a relationship need to be in agreement and if one decides to pull the plug after discussions, that's how relationships are. Look for the future fun ones!

• LiveBritishReaction
    LiveBritishReaction Member Posts: 426
    Options

Yes. Licensed content is a gimmick meant to generate hype and money before it's a healthy addition to the game in 9 cases out of 10.

• KingFieldShipper
    KingFieldShipper Member Posts: 600
    edited June 2023
    Options

Well... Yeah? That's sort of the point of getting licenses, to bring in players. More players = more money, more players = healthy live game, and bhvr is still a company who exists solely to make money.

Edit: I reread this thinking you were saying originally it wasn't healthy in 9/10 cases, but I think I misunderstood and I think you are saying it is healthy, which I agree with

Post edited by KingFieldShipper on
  • LiveBritishReaction
    LiveBritishReaction Member Posts: 426
    edited June 2023
    Options

I'm saying in 9/10 cases, it's unhealthy. The licenses pull in players, but the content itself is a nightmare of balancing and rarely has a positive effect on the game. I wouldn't complain if BHVR stopped doing licenses altogether.

• BlightedDolphin
    Options

Also, unlike Stranger Things, there's nothing to say that these cosmetics won't return again at some point. Fortnite occasionally brings back their licensed skins for a short time, so I could see BHVR bringing them back occasionally for small events.

• BarnesFlam
    Options

Yeah but you don't want to be Fortnite.

Imagine BHVR/AoT announcing the outfits will be back in roughly 3 years. I don't see how the money gains would have more worth than the trust you lost with your customer base.

I already cannot tolerate BHVR's current "wait a year" for rift and event cosmetics.

• BlightedDolphin
    Options
  • Hexonthebeach
    Hexonthebeach Member Posts: 357
    edited June 2023
    Options

Does that mean there is a AoT game in the making?

• HugTheHag
    HugTheHag Member Posts: 3,138
    Options

As someone who doesn't really like anime, doesn't want any of it in DbD, and was born in July, this feels like a birthday present.

• HoodedWildKard
    HoodedWildKard Member Posts: 2,013
    Options

Honestly who cares? If we were losing another killer I could understand the issue. And i doubt that we will lose many in the forseeable future. Game isnt dying anytime soon, not if big names like nic cage are getting involved.

• イエローミント
    イエローミント Member Posts: 166
    Options

It's not a problem because the skins I purchased won't disappear.

Unlike the Stranger Things, this time it's only skins. I bought everything on the first day. I already have the ones I like, and even if the license disappears, I can continue using them. So I don't think it's a problem if the license disappears...