We are investigating an issue in the game that causes strobing/flashing lights, and are focused on fixing it as soon as possible. Some players may be impacted by this issue and experience discomfort from it, so we recommend taking proper precautions.

And until we fix this issue, we recommend that players with photosensitivity, or who have an epileptic condition or have had seizures of any kind consult their physician before playing.

Slugging: Is it Toxic?

Options
Blueberry
Blueberry Member Posts: 12,757
edited August 2023 in Polls

Curious on the forum communities perception on if slugging is toxic.

DISCLAIMER: I am not talking about leaving all the survivors on the ground to bleed out, I am only talking about slugging for pressure and to slow gens down. So this poll is under the assumption that the killer is hooking survivors if they get everyone down.

I'm curious about this because sometimes I'll run a slug build to slow the gens down since I won't run any gen regression perks and I tend to see quite a lot of hate in post game chat about it. I personally as survivor would not mind this same game play at all and wouldn't call it toxic but I wanna hear y'alls opinion.

Slugging: Is it Toxic? 75 votes

Yes
14%
NAERUUUScary_Punk_Ghostnitrodzenrvzrvzrvzsaintjimmy456CatnipLoveEEPQuinfuzzballIhavenolifeHauntalesYusoka 11 votes
No
85%
GibberishOnryosTapeRentalsBlueberryF60_31RaptorrotasChordycepsMrPenguinoxygentenoresaxRobotfangirl67hmeekinsTheTom20FobboDhurl421IlliterateGenocideNoOneKnowsNovaBasementDwellerViktor1853GuiltiiHaunterofShadows 64 votes

Comments

• Steakdabait
    Steakdabait Member Posts: 1,243
    edited August 2023
    Options
    No

Only bm if done with the intention waste the survivors time with no real gameplay benefit which you said isnt included.

still annoying af sometimes tho

Post edited by Steakdabait on
  • IlliterateGenocide
    IlliterateGenocide Member Posts: 5,989
    Options
    No

Dependent, I'm gonna slug for a few seconds if I can secure another hit.

if you do it just to do it yes its toxic

• Blueberry
    Options
    No

"Only bm if done to intention waste the survivors time with no real gameplay benefit which you said isnt included."

Yeah I agree with that. I think it is toxic if it's just to waste their time.

"still annoying af sometimes tho"

I am curious what makes it annoying though?

I ask because as I said above I would always rather be slugged as it gives me way more agency since there are multiple different things I can do while slugged, multiple anti slug perks, and the best part which is it gives me a second chance at life since I could be picked up without being hooked.

• AgnyLeo
    AgnyLeo Member Posts: 13
    Options
    No

What makes it annoying is that there's absolutely nothing you can do if you don't have any perks to pick yourself up and teammates don't pick you up either. All you can do is hold W to crawl somewhere. So, yeah, depends on the situation if it's for like under 30 seconds, it's fine. But since there's usually nothing you can do but wait and hope, it gets boring. I don't always run meta perks because it gets boring too, and you never know which killer you're gonna get, the slugging one, the tunneling one, or the camping one.

• Blueberry
    edited August 2023
    Options
    No

There’s more than just crawling though. That crawling can be to get under a pallet, reach a teammate, try to hide, multiple types of crawling. You’re also recovering. You get a second chance at life since you might not be hooked. There’s objectively much more to do on the ground than there is on a hook, so what would make it any more boring on the ground than being an a hook comparatively?

Other than unaliving yourself on hook there is literally nothing to do on a hook bar a couple perks, which even then generally speaking aren’t meta and are rarer whereas the anti slug perks you actually see commonly in the meta anyway.

I just fail to see how being slugged is worse than being on a hook in any aspect. I can’t see any rational reason for preferring to be hooked other than the person wanting to remove themselves from the game early.

• sizzlingmario4
    sizzlingmario4 Member Posts: 6,315
    edited August 2023
    Options
    No

In the scenario you described, no it is not toxic at all.

My only issues with slugging are slugging for 4k when 2 survivors are left, slugging with the intent to bleed out just to waste time (unless the survivor is unhookable in which case it’s on them to crawl to a hook if they want to end the game), and Knock Out being too oppressive against solo queue (but that’s a balance issue, not a player issue). But slugging for pressure as a strategy during normal gameplay is perfectly fine.

• not_requested49
    not_requested49 Member Posts: 1,980
    Options
    No

Isn't that basically just being hooked, just longer and you can't move?

• AgnyLeo
    Options
    No

Both hook stages together are about 2 minutes until you are sacrificed, and at least you can try to escape on your first one (and sometimes you get lucky) and decide if it's worth struggling or not on the second. Bleeding someone out takes 4 minutes, and yes, people still do that. I'm not the kind of survivor to click flashlights or teabag killers for no reason. So many people do it simply as a strategy. Some even bring builds like knock out and leave you on the ground intentionally for ages, so teammates can't pick you up easily even if they wanted to... :(

• AgnyLeo
    Options
    No

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's necessarily worse. And the crawling under a pallet is such, again, it's situational and usually a less than 30-second deal, which is why I marked no. It's usually not that bad anymore. But if you've tried that ptb where the Devs tried out basekit Unbreakable, people started running infectious fright to just down everyone. No one really had a chance to do gens and get chased much. It failed for a reason. If it's just a little bit of slugging, it's totally fine. But if those knock-out builds and being left on the ground for the whole 4-minute-bleed-out timer, then I don't think anyone enjoys being on the receiving end of that.

• AgnyLeo
    edited August 2023
    Options
    No

I appreciate everyone's points of view here though! ^^ I'm just sharing my own experience. Everyone's is different. Although, you guys do have a point. At least we're able to crawl, some games don't let you do even that, you're just completely immobilized there. I still prefer I got left for 30 seconds instead of 4 minutes :D

• not_requested49
    Options
    No

I mean, isn't that what knockout is literally designed for? I would blame BHVR, not the killers for running it lol

• not_requested49
    Options
    No

What if it's slugging while still 4 people are still alive and at least 1 is up?

• AgnyLeo
    Options
    No

Depends on the situation. If they've all been grouping up intentionally, then you kind of have to. I know I would. And if people are running unhookable builds, I can understand slugging then too. But if there's no reason for the killer to go around the entire map looking for survivors just to down them and bleed them out, then idk. I personally don't see any fun in that. But I'm not blaming anyone here, I'm just sharing what's not fun for me or some other people.

• EvilSerje
    EvilSerje Member Posts: 1,070
    Options
    No

If used to apply pressure, very ok (although could be boring sometimes, but ok). If used to harass players and show killer's feeble-mindedness, then not ok.

• not_requested49
    edited August 2023
    Options
    No

I mean fun is subjective, and just leaving them on the ground might be because the killer doesn't really wanna use more time hooking them, especially if there's a gen close by and provides the same amount of pressure unless they have unbreakable, or because they want them to still be able to play if they're on death hook

• IncaNova
    IncaNova Member Posts: 9
    Options
    No

I voted no more on personal experience. I've never done it for toxicity. The few times I have slugged is mostly for toxic survivors. their constantly around trying to get flashlights or cheeky saves so if I can down 2 or 3 and make the rest run off so I can hook. I'ma do it.

• Blueberry
    Options
    No

Given how the results have been it seems most complaints I've seen in lobbies are more just in the heat of the moment angry rather than really thinking it's toxic.

• Aurelle
    Aurelle Member Posts: 3,611
    Options
    No

No. Sometimes it's necessary to apply pressure.

• Iron_Cutlass
    Iron_Cutlass Member Posts: 2,757
    Options
    No

Slugging is fine.

I only have issues with people bleeding me out... I dont like having my time wasted... but as you mentioned, it's not what you are talking about, so it's all good then.

• thisislastyearsmodel
    thisislastyearsmodel Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 636
    Options
    No

Especially if you face a slugging Nurse or Spirit who's semi-competent, you're basically doomed to bleed out on the floor. Saddest part is the only alternative is getting one hooked lmfao

• 09SHARKBOSS
    09SHARKBOSS Member Posts: 1,143
    Options
    No

if its slugging everybody to kill them by bleed out then yeas

• GarlicRice
    GarlicRice Member Posts: 118
    Options
    No

No, sometimes slugging is required. I only find it toxic when the killer bleeds everybody out for the full timer like a power trip.

• Felgoose
    Felgoose Member Posts: 163
    Options
    No

I like to put knockout on Legion to get people to stay closer to each other since staying separate is such a good counter to the killer.