Devs, the new "fast vault distance" are changes intended (patch 7.1.1)?

Options

Tittle.

Thx!

Comments

• RoastedGarlic
    RoastedGarlic Member Posts: 532
    Options

im just happy i can actually vault again without getting hit from outer space. Even as someone who predominately plays killer I knew that I was getting hits that I shouldn't have been getting. This fix needed to happen.

• Xernoton
    Xernoton Member Posts: 5,327
    Options

The issue isn't the extra distance at all. You should get that but for some reason the actual speed of the fast vault seems to have increased. You make more distance in the same (or less?) amount of time now and that denies a lot of hits killers should get. Even during the vault animation survivors cannot be hit. You can see that something is not working properly by looking at the animation. It's like the survivor is frozen for a fraction of a second before being teleported forward.

If it was a latency issue, then the killer wouldn't notice that. Because on their screen they clearly hit you and the game favors killers in these situations. Since nothing was changed in that regard it can't be explained by latency.

• GannTM
    GannTM Member Posts: 10,853
    Options
  • oreoslurpee
    oreoslurpee Member Posts: 283
    Options

it very much can, the speed of vaults have not changed one bit. you may have gone against someone running resiliance, spine chill, or both perks. as both perks alone increase the speed of vaulting, so you may have gone up against that. the new vaults only just increased the distance the survivor gets away from the window and thats it, the actual speed of vaulting has never changed unless its the killer vaulting.

you probably went up against the 2 perks i stated

yup! its like when survivors had to readjust to flashlight blinds after the many times flashlights got changed & killer pickup animations buffed. it just takes time to readjust

• Xernoton
    Options

I have played against survivors with and without Resilience. Spine Chill does no longer have any effect on vault speed. That was changed in patch 6.1.0 and is part of the reason few people use it anymore. I know the difference with and without the perk. A survivor is harder to hit when they use Resilience but the game doesn't deny hits that happen during the animiton, when the survivor is still on the same side of the window. And Resilience doesn't cause the animation to glitch either.

I would overlook this, if it happened once or twice. After all, these things can happen. Maybe you aimed too low and hit the vault because of that. But when it consistently costs me hits that are nowhere near questionable (before the survivor is through the window) something is off. And you can actually see that it doesn't work right. Are you really going to tell me that the animation looks normal to you? When the survivor character model skips frames?

The best explanation I can come up with is that the survivor character model doesn't fit the actual hitbox. The hitbox moves continuously through the window just like before and then neatly adds the extra distance. The animation on the other hand seems to be just like before until the character model reaches the point where they should get extra distance. At that point the game overcompensates and teleports the survivor forward because the animation is technically over but the character model is not yet in the same position as the hitbox.

• Akumakaji
    Akumakaji Member Posts: 4,936
    Options

I guess selfrightious survivor main quibs will always be the most savage. Point taken.

• biggybiggybiggens
    biggybiggybiggens Member Posts: 646
    Options

Only took what..almost 8 years to fix that "bug".

• sulaiman
    sulaiman Member Posts: 3,213
    Options

Thats my thought too. I think its a disconnect between hitbox and animation, and this should be fixed, but that could mean increased vault speed animation.

• Xernoton
    Options

If that is what this comes down to, then I'm more than happy about that as long as it works right.

It feels like the month or so where hit validation was turned completely in the survivor's favor. It's less that you don't get the hit but that the game gives you wrong information. In this case, you see the survivor still close to you when in reality they are already on the other side probably about to pop the next gen.

• oreoslurpee
    Options

my bad! i actually didn’t know that spine chill’s vault speed boost was removed. thank you for telling me, that’s an oops on my part.

but if i’m being honest? i think it still relys on whether or not someone has VSync on or not, maybe uncapped fps too as fps plays a BIG factor in any game. but wifi/connection issues are also playing a big factor. you may have bad wifi, or the survivors you go against have bad wifi. or the survivors your going against have actual incredible wifi like they play right next to a satellite. VSync plays a great factor in it too, but you HAVE to take into consideration of the killer having VSync on while the survivor doesn’t. it plays a big part.

the moment i turned it off and increased my FPS, i was able to do stuff i couldn’t before and the amount of things i’ve gotten away with is crazy. i was able to hit survivors as killer easier, i was able to do many things easier along with having my game feel amazing. blame dbd’s crappy engine for things like this as they have VSync forcefully enabled and have the FPS capped at 60. not just that, dbd’s engine is just flat out terrible. you wonder why every update breaks a ton of things? that’s their engine just being old, it’s not modern. hell even overwatch updated to a brand new engine to be more modern.

• oreoslurpee
    Options

but it could always just be something like this too. survivor hitboxes (and killer ones too) have always been super wonky, and i don’t think they’ve ever been edited before

• Coffeecrashing
    Coffeecrashing Member Posts: 3,340
    Options

Did any of the players know fast vaults were originally supposed to give extra distance on vaults? I just think it's funny that BHVR keeps finding "bugs" that have existed in the game for years, that we were never told were bugs, and we only find out about them after they get "fixed".

Can we just admit that the goal was to buff survivors, and we're calling it a bugfix so that killers can't ask for compensation buffs? Because if the goal honestly was to just add more distance to fast vaults, then we shouldn't be seeing these hit validation changes to vaults.

• Ayodam
    Ayodam Member Posts: 2,353
    Options

They did way back when then they stopped after an old patch/update. Players reported it but the devs never publicly said anything about it. Now they’ve I guess gotten around to addressing the issue. But yes fast vaults were always intended to keep momentum.

• Ayodam
    Ayodam Member Posts: 2,353
    edited August 2023
    Options

Survivors aren’t necessarily vaulting faster; they just aren’t losing run momentum when they go into a fast vault anymore. What was happening was that when survivors did a fast vault prior to this fix, the game treated it like a medium vault so the vault slowed them down even though the animation still showed a fast vault. But that isn’t how fast vaults are supposed to work. I think it glitched out around patch 3-4? It was a really, really old bug.

• Xernoton
    Options

These are possible but since none of these were changed, isn't it highly unlikely that the issue lies there? And for so many people too? If it was latency, then that would actually favor the killer and we would only see things as you described earlier. Survivors getting hit way past the vault. BHVR have tried to fix the latency issue shortly after the fifth anniversary but only reversed the issue and made it even worse. There is little that can be done about this other then adding more servers. But I digress.

I think this is a situation similar to the "bugged" addons of Spirit and Bubba. The addons were not exactly bugged. It's just that they coded these addons a way that actually scaled the entirety of the killer's power. In this case, they probably have only added the extra distance and tied it together somehow, while not correcting the animation.

I don't know what exactly it is but I do know that something about this is not working as intended. That is clear when the animation is consistently off. I do not say that they should revert the changes. However, I hope they will look into this again and sort it out.

Maybe. They should at least look into it again and fix the animations. It looks awful, really

I still have my doubts because when a survivor is in licking distance then a hit should be a hit but it is possible that the changed speed explains that. After all, the relative speed of the killer towards the survivor is reduced by that as well.

I am 100% fine with the extra distance. Although I can't say I noticed even one occurence of the survivor not getting more distance for a fast vault than for a slow or medium vault. A survivor could still be hit after a medium vault because they were so close to the window but that wasn't the case for fast vaults. Then again, I probably wasn't around at the time it broke (I started after the Twins' release), so I have little to compare it to.

• ReikoMori
    ReikoMori Member Posts: 3,333
    Options

Calling something a fix after not dealing with it for 7 years feels a tad bit disingenuous.

Don't get wrong, I am not saying the change shouldn't have happened at all.

Just, don't call it fix when you've left something in the game that long and to a degree balanced around the outcome.

Like if you want to state that you're making change to a long standing feature just say it's change rather than saying it is a fix when it is going to be exceptionally difficult for anyone to believe that due to how long it has been in the game. Like even if internally fast vaults functioning the same as medium vaults was considered a bug, that probably should have been communicated externally because after 7 years bugs tend to just become features everyone learns to play around.