We are investigating an issue in the game that causes strobing/flashing lights, and are focused on fixing it as soon as possible. Some players may be impacted by this issue and experience discomfort from it, so we recommend taking proper precautions.

And until we fix this issue, we recommend that players with photosensitivity, or who have an epileptic condition or have had seizures of any kind consult their physician before playing.

Recommendations for good horror books?

Options

Hello everyone. Lately I’ve been into reading horror books. I just can’t get enough of them! I am looking for your best recommendations. What are some that have stood out to you as extremely scary?

Comments

• Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 4,811
    Options

Various books by James Herbert are extremely good at creating visceral horror and imagery. I remember reading "The Fog" which contained some rather grotesque scenes and a sickly feel throughout. Definitely check that author out!

Also - and you may already be aware of this - but "I have no mouth and I must scream" also hits hard.

• OnryosTapeRentals
    OnryosTapeRentals Member Posts: 622
    Options
    • The Ring Trilogy (Ring, Spiral, and Loop) by Kōji Suzuki. Ring and Spiral both have an eerie, bleak feel throughout and an engaging mystery. I also think Loop is a good read, but it completely does away with any traditional horror elements and is more sci-if/existential.

• Vanishlord
    Vanishlord Member Posts: 472
    Options

Yeah I haven't read it but it's on my list. Stephen King is my recomendation like IT or the Outsider.

• CorvusCorax86
    CorvusCorax86 Member Posts: 1,043
    Options

Beside Stephen King I also like Cliver Barker. They both have short story collections so your best bet is to pick one of those up.

• FridayNightPizza
    FridayNightPizza Member Posts: 577
    edited October 2023
    Options

The Secret of Crickley Hall by James Herbert. Naomi's Room by Jonathan Aycliffe. Darcy Coates is a good author for gothic horror, definitely give her a try if you're into haunted house type stuff. David Sordegren does good splatter style books, The Haar and Maggie's Grave stood out to me. "Dark Matter" and "Thin Air" by Michelle Paver are creepy atmospheric ghost stories. The Terror by Dan Simmons. The Last Days by Adam Neville. The Watchers by A.M Shine is some seriously claustrophobic folk horror. Not horror but Blood Merdian by Cormac McCarthy has the most graphic depictions of violence I've ever read.

• HerInfernalMajesty
    HerInfernalMajesty Member Posts: 871
    Options

Thank you everyone so much for your recommendations 😊

• Steakdabait
    Steakdabait Member Posts: 1,244
    Options

When i was a kid i remember really enjoying Escape from the furnace books. I haven't read them in years tho

• I_am_Negan
    I_am_Negan Member Posts: 3,756
    Options

The Walking Dead