We are investigating an issue in the game that causes strobing/flashing lights, and are focused on fixing it as soon as possible. Some players may be impacted by this issue and experience discomfort from it, so we recommend taking proper precautions.

And until we fix this issue, we recommend that players with photosensitivity, or who have an epileptic condition or have had seizures of any kind consult their physician before playing.

Forum Members: What's the Meaning of YOUR Forum Name?

Options
AshInTheTallGrass
AshInTheTallGrass Member Posts: 1,642
edited September 2023 in Off-topic

My name comes from one of Ash's lines. You know how he sometimes says, "Look who's shittin' in the tall grass?" Well, my name is a reply to that.

It's you, Ash. You're the one shittin' in the tall grass.

(Plus I just like the way it flows)

EDIT:

I've read all of your replies and genuinely like hearing all of your different stories. Thank you for sharing them!

Post edited by EQWashu on

Comments

• CatnipLove
    CatnipLove Member Posts: 1,006
    Options

I was playing on the Switch about two years ago, and I chose a bunch of different names on different days. I happened to meet some chill people when I was called CatnipLove, so I kept it. The name kind of works, as I am known to ignore my friends for about 10 minutes after arriving at their house, as a pack of dogs usually greets me, and I'm tunnel vision when I have something to pet.

Although sometimes I change it to 4DaBooba.

• jesterkind
    jesterkind Member Posts: 6,949
    Options

I'm a big fan of jesters and associated mocking clown types, so that part's a no-brainer. The suffix -kind comes from Homestuck, where it denotes that someone fights using that concept, EG bladekind for swords and knives.

So, I guess I fight with clowns, with that logic. I suppose you could read it as me being simply of the same ilk as those jingling menaces, but I'll always know the true meaning of it.

• GolbezGarlandGabrant
    Options

Garland, Golbez and Gabranth are all major antagonists in the Final Fantasy main series. All three have in common besides starting with 'G' is donning heavy armor.

• Alice_pbg
    Alice_pbg Member Posts: 6,425
    Options

Well you see...

• GannTM
    GannTM Member Posts: 10,846
    Options

Yeah

• GentlemanFridge
    GentlemanFridge Member Posts: 5,225
    edited September 2023
    Options

The short of it is that it comes from the term Gentleman Scientist, and my previous username WishIHadAFridge.

Essentially, a GentlemanFridge is a refrigerator that does its thing without being associated with a household.

A Fridge on the run, if you will.

• oxygen
    oxygen Member Posts: 3,271
    Options

I'm just a big oxygen fan (translation: I'm bad at coming up with usernames and I picked the first that randomly came to mind I was happy with)

• Raconteurminator
    Raconteurminator Member Posts: 594
    Options

It's just Raconteur + Terminator.

• MikaelaWantsYourBoon
    MikaelaWantsYourBoon Member Posts: 6,564
    Options

Mikaela just wants your boon, leave her alone with boons you toxic killah mains.

• Maelstrom808
    Maelstrom808 Member Posts: 684
    edited September 2023
    Options

Heh, my gamer tag is probably older than a large portion of the player base. At the time, it had a pretty dark origin as I felt it described me pretty well - drawing in and dragging down everything around me. 30 years later and I've changed considerably, but it's a good reminder of who I used to be.

Oh and the 808 comes from the drum machine as I've done electronic music on and off most of my life

• JPLongstreet
    JPLongstreet Member Posts: 5,245
    Options

There's some excellent creative minds around the forum that could come up with an origin story or two for ya.....

• JPLongstreet
    JPLongstreet Member Posts: 5,245
    Options
  • tippy2k2
    tippy2k2 Member Posts: 5,004
    Options
  • D0NN1ED4RK0
    D0NN1ED4RK0 Member Posts: 702
    Options

Donnie Darko is really a good movie

whoever hasn’t seen it should give it a watch sometime

• A_Can_Of_Air
    A_Can_Of_Air Member Posts: 1,993
    Options

My name from when I was on Xbox, that’s where I started in 2017. It’s not a name I use anymore but it stays here.

• Unknown2765
    Unknown2765 Member Posts: 1,687
    Options

Privacy, i learned that this is needed in the DBD community, because people here will go at crazy lengths to provoke or insult you, if they disagree. I never had to have my Steam account set to private in the almost 20 years i have had it, until i joined the DBD comunnity.

• TheSingularity
    TheSingularity Member Posts: 1,595
    edited September 2023
    Options
  • UndeddJester
    UndeddJester Member Posts: 2,035
    edited September 2023
    Options

When I was a kid I had to use my saved up Birthday and Christmas money for all my games, consoles and whatever else. Outside of my first Sega Master System and the Sega Mega Drive, I bought every console and PC I ever owned.

My sister was in the same boat, and ofc we each had our own gamer tags. However when setting up an Xbox Live gamer tag for the Xbox 360, my sister couldn't afford her own Live membership, so I agreed to let her share mine... but there was no way on earth she wanted to go by my old cringe inducing Gamer Tag (I'm ashamed to say SniperBT) 🤓😒🤣

So we had to come up with a unique name for both of us that we would be happy using. We both always liked horror themed games and films, as well as quirky stuff, and at the time we were both really into Timesplitters 2. My main was Ghost (Futuristic White Eyed Stealthy guy) and hers was Viola (a Notre Dame Jester girl), so I said "I dunno, maybe UndeadJester or something?"

Naturally some jerk had already thought of that, so it became UndeddJester instead. Eventually my sister got her own Live membership, but the name basically stuck from that point on... far better than my old lame ass gamer Tag at least xD

• Xendritch
    Xendritch Member Posts: 1,842
    Options

Combination of the Xeno prefix and Eldritch it more or less translates to Strange Outsider.

• Deathstroke
    Deathstroke Member Posts: 3,043
    Options

My name comes from my favourite villain in Arrow tv-series. I though that very cool name and picked it up because I want to be deathstroke to my enemies in games. It's my user name too on dbd. Suits well when I play killer and kill everyone.

• Shroompy
    Shroompy Member Posts: 6,133
    Options

I've had the username Shroompy or shro0mpy since 2016-2017. There's a whole story behind it with involving a friend of mine but no one's gonna be readin that.

• Dwight_Fairfield
    Dwight_Fairfield Member Posts: 6,727
    Options

The origin of my name will forever be a mystery 🧐

• SleepyLunatic
    SleepyLunatic Member Posts: 286
    Options

I actually got a medical sleeping problem which causes me to almost never get any sleep despite being extremly sleepy.

• oreoslurpee
    oreoslurpee Member Posts: 283
    Options

my name comes from Paris Hilton. she went to a McDonald's drive thru, and she said "hey can i have an oreooo slurrrpeeeee" when in reality she meant an Oreo McFlurry. i loved it ever since and nearly all of my usernames are oreoslurpee

• GrimReaperJr1232
    GrimReaperJr1232 Member Posts: 1,655
    Options

Username from middle school.

Was learning about the Bubonic Plague which helped inspire the image of the Grim Reaper.

Junior was added as a slight inside joke that I was young.

1232 were easy to remember numbers.

Later, I simplified Grim Reaper to Grimmy, but still use the full name in some circles.

• Xyvielia
    Xyvielia Member Posts: 2,415
    Options

It’s my name

(sound like Zev-Eye-Lee-Uh)

…yeah, my Father’s a rare one😄🫶🏽

• TheSubstitute
    TheSubstitute Member Posts: 2,218
    Options

When I was reading about DbD and deciding if I should get it I read about the 'The Teacher' Killer that was either a joke or abandoned.

• Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 4,811
    Options

I just liked the play with rhyming and it also showing my prefered way of playing.

• Shroompy
    Shroompy Member Posts: 6,133
    Options

To keep things short, I have a friend whos quite short and I like teasing her about it. One we were just messagin back and forth on discord and I wanted to call her a shrimp, but mistyped it and called her a shrump.

She apparently liked the sound of it and called herself Shrumpy, then she had the idea of the friend group having matching names, so I came up with Shroompy.

So there ya go, Shroompy lore lol

• SirCracken
    SirCracken Member Posts: 1,414
    Options

The "Cracken" part of my username was invented by me when I was playing Dark Souls 2.

I created a character that ended up duel wielding giant clubs and liked the "crack!" sound they made when I smacked stuff. And what better name for someone who cracks things open than Cracken?

The "Sir" part I added when I started playing For Honor as part of the Knight's faction. Although I don't play it anymore, it's become oddly fitting since I now main Tarhos, the Knight.

So my name now means: Knight who cracks stuff.

• AshInTheTallGrass
    AshInTheTallGrass Member Posts: 1,642
    Options

lol

Was this from when she was on The Simple Life? I'm gonna have to Youtube this.

• Sava18
    Sava18 Member Posts: 2,383
    Options

Made Savexe which meant nothing years ago and shortened it to sava which also means nothing.

One of my filler usernames kinda.

• Rovend
    Rovend Member Posts: 1,038
    Options

An old friend of mine used to call me 'Ruben', though that was never my real name. That nickname sticked with me those days which also were the days i started playing a new moba that was getting popular, League of Legends.

Making my new account for that game, 'Ruben' was already taken. 'Roben', 'Roven' , 'Rubend', 'Rubent' were all taken too. So i ended up with Rovend and that has been my name since.

• Brokenbones
    Brokenbones Member Posts: 5,155
    Options

Otzdarva used to make up random perk names on his stream, and one of them was broken bones. I found it funny and stole it

I picked sloppy butcher icon because mangled icon is a bone broken in half

that's it

• CorvusCorax86
    CorvusCorax86 Member Posts: 1,043
    Options

Corvuscorax is latin for raven which is my actual surname. I used Korppi for years (which is Finnish) but of all the translations I prefer corvuscorax.

• oreoslurpee
    oreoslurpee Member Posts: 283
    Options

no idea, i heard it from a friend. i tried searching it up but i found nothing! i was very disappointed

• DragonMasterDarren
    DragonMasterDarren Member Posts: 2,737
    Options

I've been carrying this nickname or some variety of it for the better part of a decade now and pretty much use it for everything

Made a entire fictional story and lore surrounding it too, not even kidding

• Shaped
    Shaped Member Posts: 5,871
    Options

Shape was taken.