We are investigating an issue around players not receiving their Grade Rewards today, we will give more information as it becomes available. Apologies for the inconvenience.

See what's being used before 7.3.0 drops!

Options
Jocelynbee
Jocelynbee Member, Administrator, Mod, Co-ordinator Posts: 1,188
edited October 2023 in General Discussions

Here's the 10 most used perks for each role.

The 10 most used Killer Perks between August 25 and September 25. In order, they are: Jolt, Pop Goes the Weasel, Scourge Hook: Pain Resonance, Sloppy Butcher, Barbecue and Chilli, Lethal Pursuer, Save the Best for Last, Nowhere to Hide, Corrupt Intervention, and Hex: No One Escapes Death.

The 10 most used Survivor Perks between August 25 and September 25. In order, they are: Windows of Opportunity, Made for This, Adrenaline, Resilience, Lithe, Self Care, Deja Vu, Sprint Burst, Dead Hard, and Kindred.

BONUS: These Killers sit at the popular table.

The 10 most used Killers between August 25 and September 25. In order, they are: The Xenomorph, The Huntress, The Wraith, The Mastermind, The Ghost Face, The Legion, The Shape, The Nurse, The Trapper, and The Blight.

Post edited by Jocelynbee on

Comments

• Reinami
    Reinami Member Posts: 5,001
    Options

Context is definitely important on these.

For example, on the survivor ones, 7 of them, are free perks that every survivor has access to with the base game. The fact that MFT is so high up is because it is so broken/meta. Windows is always seen as a "noob friendly" perk, so that is why its usage is high. The big outlier here is lithe which is interesting.

• Shaped
    Shaped Member Posts: 5,871
    Options

How do you rationalise killer perks then when you look at that list? Are they all fine because they are killer perks?

• BlightedTrapper
    BlightedTrapper Member Posts: 310
    Options

How is Inner Strength/Healing not useful? It can give you up to five free heals in a match, and ignores healing debuffs like Sloppy Butcher. It's also fairly time efficient if you don't waste too much time hunting totems.

If there's any healing perk that needs a buff, it's Pharmacy. Only works while injured, usually have to actively hunt for the chest, 6 second unlock and 24 second self-heal. That'd be like Inner Healing only activating if cleansing while injured, and you have to stay in the locker for twice as long.

• radiantHero23
    radiantHero23 Member Posts: 3,172
    Options

Wait...

So people use Made for this?

• BlightedTrapper
    BlightedTrapper Member Posts: 310
    Options

Lmao I'm dumb. Yeah I can't think of a situation I'd ever run Inner Focus. Guess I figured you were some Inner Strength mega fan who wanted your favorite perk buffed just because, all on account of your icon.

• Vanishlord
    Vanishlord Member Posts: 476
    Options

I know and some people refuse to be healed because they think using self care is more time efficent. Strange times. And yeah kill rates would be nice.

• tjt85
    tjt85 Member Posts: 602
    Options

I'm never gonna stop running Self-Care (with Botany, of course). I love this perk.

I can heal up to try and rescue a Survivor from a hook in the end game, take a hit for an injured teammate running for the gate or make a play to pick up some camped slugs. I can also heal myself if I get unhooked but they don't stick around to stay and heal me. Things I wouldn't ever be able to do if I'd already used up my pathetic 1 heal med kit.

• Reinami
    edited October 2023
    Options

Did i say that self-care was a problem?

The only survivor one on that list that i think is a problem is MFT, it is by far the best perk in the game. But to answer your question around killer perks, lets look at them and do some critical thinking

What are the perks that are most used on killer?

• Jolt
    • Pop goes the Weasel
    • Scourge Hook: Pain Resonance
    • Sloppy Butcher
    • Barbeque and Chili
    • Lethal Pursuer
    • Save the best for Last
    • Nowhere to Hide
    • Corrupt Intervention
    • Hex: NOED

• Jolt is a perk accessible to every killer basekit
    • Pop goes the Weasel was in the shrine a few weeks ago. evidenced by it going up.
    • Pain res is probably the biggest outlier here, i'd guess because it is simply a strong meta perk
    • Sloppy butcher is a perk accessible to every killer basekit
    • BBQ is another "outlier" but i suspect it is just because so many people already have it, due to it being "mandatory" back in the day for the 100% bloodpoint gain, additionally many outdated guides show it being a perk that is a "must have" for newer players for the same reason and leatherface is seen as a good killer for newer players and its one of the cheaper ones as well due to him only being a killer and no survivor.
    • Lethal Pursuer is a pretty staple perk and also tied to resident evil, both chapters of which are extremely extremely popular and both brought in a ton of newer players.
    • Save the best for last was in the shrine like 2 weeks ago, evidence by its usage going up.
    • Nowhere to hide is a solid outlier i don't have much of an explanation for, it is a pretty solid perk though.
    • Corrupt intervention is just a well rounded decent perk that pretty much any killer can make use of.
    • NOED is available to all killers.

Again, context is important as well. You have to think about this as the realization that for each match there is 1 killer and 4 survivors. So lets say that tomorrow the game gained 10k new players. Many more of those new players are going to be playing survivor simply due to the natural fact that there are 4 survivors, so there are going to be more of them going to there.

So it is interesting to see that for survivors, the main perks that tend to get the most usage, are free perks available to all survivors, and a handful of noob friendly perks, with only 1 super powerful meta perk. Whereas with killer, you still see a few free perks, and a few perks from popular chapters, but that killers tend to gravitate toward perks that are seen as "better".

If i had to guess, from my own experience as a newer player, i felt a lot less confident playing killer and so i stuck with survivor for most of my time as a new player until i eventually got comfortable with the game enough to play killer (which generally i now do so at around a 60-65/35-40% killer/survivor split). So my theory would be that newer players tend to gravitate toward survivor and learn the game. It is "safer" in the sense that, you have a team to cover you, so mistakes aren't as punishing to you and so on. Then as they get more comfortable with the game, they delve into killer. But by then, they are a bit more invested and more willing to buy DLC and so on.

An interesting statistic that BHVR could give us is the average hour count of survivor players vs killer players. I would be curious if killers on average have more total hours in the game than survivors do and i would suspect that is the case. Although again this is purely anecdotal and based on my own experience. I wasn't really comfortable playing much killer at all until i hit around the 50-100 hour mark or so.

In general though, i think both sides do have some problem perks, either being too OP or just badly designed that result in unfun gameplay for one or both sides. On the survivor side, i generally see this as being:

• MFT self explanatory
    • Hyperfocus self explanatory
    • Boil over (leads to situations where it is impossible to hook, making slugging the only option, boring for the survivor)
    • Breakdown (leads to situations where it is impossible to hook, making slugging the only option, boring for the survivor)
    • Buckle up + FTP on their own they are both are fine
    • Dramaturgy (mostly for the RNG aspect, i think RNG that is (you can get 1 hit downed or you can get a commodius toolbo, the best item in the game is badly designed)
    • Kindred not because it is a problem, but that it should honestly just be basekit at this point
    • No mither because its just trolling your temmates

There are others probably, and that isn't to say that there aren't any weak ones, these are the ones that i think are either OP, or just badly designed that lead to unfun gameplay

On the killer side, the perks that are a problem are:

• Coulrophobia, when you make a build around it, is unfun as hell to deal with
    • Any perk that gives blindness. I think blindness as a mechanic is so OP against solo queue survivors and useless against SWF that the whole mechanic needs to be completely reworked
    • Forced Hesitation can lead to huge snowball potential and slugging
    • Devour hope being completely RNG based if you find it or not can be a problem
    • NOED being RNG based, can hook a survivor right near totem and its just a guaranteed kill, also it working in the 1v1 is silly
    • Knock out leading to a slugging build is just terrible
    • No way out working in the 1v1 after hatch close
    • Remember me working in the 1v1 after hatch close
    • Insidious because camping

In general i think there are very few "OP" perks in the game really. The only perks i really think are completely overpowered are:

• MFT
    • Hyperfocus
    • Any perk with blindness against solo players (again it is a mechanic that i think should be reworked)

You can also see some obvious stuff around killer pick rate. Obviously the most recently released killer is played a ton. But look at nurse and blight and spirit. The 3 strongest killers in the game by far, and 1 of them isn't even in the top 10, and the other 2 are near the bottom of the 10. (which puts them in the top 1/3rd of usage). And look who is ahead of them? The newest one several free ones, and wesker (one of the most popular chapters, if not the most popular chapter, ever)

Post edited by Reinami on
  • dbdthegame
    dbdthegame Member Posts: 699
    Options

YOU... YOU WEREN'T SUPPOSED TO POINT THAT OUT! IT'S OBVIOUS THESE STATS ARE SKEWERED! SELF CARE IS NOT A PROBLEM! I USE IT ALL THE TIME BECAUSE IT'S NOT EVEN THAT STRONG IT'S ONLY 3%?!?!?!?

LOOK AT THE USAGE RATE ON JOLT. NERFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

• Nazzzak
    Nazzzak Member Posts: 4,511
    Options

I think it's all alot simpler. People tend to use perks to help with weaknesses. Killers prioritise gen regression perks, as gen pressure can be difficult, survivors prioritise chase perks, as loops can be difficult to learn. MFT is a decent chase perk.

• Reinami
    edited October 2023
    Options

I'm not saying MFT is a problem because it is used a lot. I was merely responding to the people from LAST time they released data who claimed "look MFT isn't a problem, it isn't even in the top 10 used perks"

Usage statistics are a terrible way to balance the game, i mean, we all agree, look at how self care is still there even though it is so god awful. Insidious is an issue because it encourages unfun play, not because it is used a lot or even any good as a perk.

As for your other comments around the killer meta. Watch a tournament game sometime. You ever wonder why they have to heavily restrict the survivors perk usage, and their item and addon usage so much? Or why they have to come up with point systems that determine who won that isn't just about kills or escapes? Yeah, that is because the game heavily favors survivor at the highest level.

My general interest is in closing the gap between solo queue and SWF, hence why i think things like, kindred should be basekit, and blindness needs to be reworked. I also think that tunneling needs to be addressed, and my proposal for doing that is that they scrap the basekit BT, and basically give a survivor spirit's power after being unhooked (I.E., faster movement speed, no collision with killer, no sound, killer can't see them) so that tunneling is effectively IMPOSSIBLE.

However, reality still stands that this game, at the highest level with well coordinated teams, heavily favors survivor. And that too is a problem that needs to be dealt with as well.

And this is all coming from someone that mostly plays both sides (although i do end up playing killer a tad bit more as the gameplay there has a bit more variety with different killers), but outside of tome challenges i tend to swap, 1 game killer, 1 game survivor, etc. And when i do play survivor, i EXCLUSIVELY play solo queue. I'm at almost 3k hours in the game, and the last time i queued up with even a single other person was about 2980 hours ago.

• Krazzik
    Krazzik Member Posts: 2,246
    edited October 2023
    Options

Self-Care is STILL that high?! I guess with medkits nerfed it's not THAT much slower to run Self-Care + Botany but notice how Botany isn't even in the top ten.

If people are still running Self-Care on it's own with Sloppy being as popular as ever, there really is no hope for them.

• Paternalpark
    Paternalpark Member Posts: 422
    Options

STBFL being tested out to counter new self unhook mechanic I'd assume.

• NerfDHalready
    NerfDHalready Member Posts: 1,373
    Options

its usage rates skyrocketed because it's op. simple. it isn't anything fancy or interesting it's just flat movement speed so usage rates should be related to its strength no doubt. even if it wasn't 2nd most used perk despite being relatively new and tied to a paid dlc, any sane and somewhat experienced player could still tell it's a very strong perk if not broken. just keep coping if it's what you would like but that perk is getting its deserved nerf sooner or later.

• Shaped
    Options

So when woo usage skyrocketed it is also because it was op? Lol.

Surv meta is trash compared to killer. Also I am not even running mft no copium here. Now go make another thread how mft is op and cope. Scapegoat 3% and cry for months until they nerf it.

Then you can jump on another survivor perk along with other forum killers to cry about.

• NerfDHalready
    NerfDHalready Member Posts: 1,373
    Options

i'm sure you don't use mft, just jumping on comments about it with peak whataboutism :)

but no, they released statistics without mft in top 10 and people were like "hey look how op this perk is, it's not even top 10" but it was op then and it still is but now statistics also say so. i thought right from the ptb that this perk is overtuned, unnecessarily strong and free. windows, self care and all that are just qol or comfort perks while mft is 2nd most used perk purely for its strength. it should be telling but i guess not.

killer meta is and was always more or less a bunch of slowdown perks, because otherwise matches end in 5 mins.

• Shaped
    Options

Shouldn't your name be something like nerfMFTalready now?