We are investigating an issue in the game that causes strobing/flashing lights, and are focused on fixing it as soon as possible. Some players may be impacted by this issue and experience discomfort from it, so we recommend taking proper precautions.

And until we fix this issue, we recommend that players with photosensitivity, or who have an epileptic condition or have had seizures of any kind consult their physician before playing.

What is your opinion about the Trapper?

Options
Astel
Astel Member Posts: 616

Please give your opinion.

What is your opinion about the Trapper? 45 votes

He needs massive buff.
31%
GibberishSlamitietheblimpKomodo07duyguTyGuyCypheriusHabil_KBlueMoonBRUHMOMENTAstelHuxydarksmurf72DragonProudSkyFengMain61 14 votes
He needs minor buff.
31%
HerInfernalMajestytenoresaxDontyodelsohardHeaderViktor1853Guiltiisizzlingmario4ChikyArchol123WextonD0NN1ED4RK0HandsomeJack_049omg_is_that_jesusTommyDorkelson 14 votes
He is fine with current status.
33%
xEakinMarc_go_soloMarc_123SmoeDEMONANCEWowie09SHARKBOSSRareFantom47CorvusCorax86kinupssTheSingularityjonifireArtworksneasbasement 15 votes
He needs minor nerf.
2%
EEP 1 vote
He needs massive nerf.
2%
Depressedlegion 1 vote

Comments

• Musxussu575
    Musxussu575 Member Posts: 20
    Options

Trapper is one of my favorites. I don't know how to vote. He certainly needs no nerf, but I don't know what a buff would look like for him. What could you possibly even do for him? The only thing I could think of is if you basekit-ed some of his add-ons and changed the respective ones to do other things. Slightly faster trap setting speed, slightly slower disarm speed, deep wound or hemorrhage upon escape/injury, etc.

I like Trapper because he is a strategy killer, different than most others. You need to plan where to place traps to catch people. This entails putting traps in places that will likely see traffic yet aren't noob-level obvious. But then you want to place "fringe" traps that you think "this will never get triggered" due to its obscurity yet place it somewhere that could still see triggering in the most unpredictable place ("Who puts a trap there?!").

His Tar Bottle add-on is really good in some maps (but that's only fully reliable if you also bring a map offering). His Honing Stone can be devastating if people don't pay attention and don't co-opt freeing one another from traps. I'm surprised it isn't one of his iridescents (ironically swapping places with the Iridescent Stone).

People see him as weak because, if no traps are triggered and survivors are careful, he's a basic M1 killer with no power. His early game is his weakest as well since he is taking time to entrap an area of the map. He makes greater use of perks like Corrupt Intervention or Deadlock.

Yet a well-equipped Basement Trapper is nearly unbeatable.

Again, I like him because he requires forethought in his games. Instead of the usual charge-and-swing, he says, "Where can I sneak in a trap that will catch the team off-guard, which direction will they likely run if they get chased off a generator", etc.

I guess the paradox is that, while he is the face of the game and the original gangster, he is better run by more experienced players than by new players.

• MikeStev
    MikeStev Member Posts: 353
    Options

The killer I'm most afraid of, every time I facing a trapper, I'm always afraid of going through grass, pallets, and windows. the point is not being able to loop against him because of psychological pressure.

• HerInfernalMajesty
    HerInfernalMajesty Member Posts: 832
    Options
    He needs minor buff.

I enjoy playing as him. I do however think that he is not the best character to learn as a first killer, Wraith takes that mantle in my opinion. The reason being is that he shines as the game progresses and gets increasingly powerful. It’s easy for a newer player to get dispirited learning the ropes with him since he takes awhile to ramp up to full potential. Most of his action and success comes after the halfway point in the match. And since beginner players have no other metric/experience to compare and contrast with, it is easy to see how discouraging the Killer role can be if Trapper is your first Killer.

However he is super easy to play and understand so I get why he is the first/default Killer in the line-up.

I do think some Survivors have too easy a time disarming his traps. I would like to see maybe a slightly longer disarm time or have him start with more traps at the beginning of the trial.

• HerInfernalMajesty
    HerInfernalMajesty Member Posts: 832
    Options
    He needs minor buff.

I remember when I first played as Trapper I thought that the traps took away a health state. So when they would be injured and get trapped it always confused me why they weren’t put into the dying state. Now with more experience I understand how he works but it doesn’t feel intuitive. I think that an injured Survivor who is caught by a trap but freed from it should incur a deep wound status effect. That way it would encourage trappers to go after a Survivor who was trapped even if they quickly free themselves. There have been many times that I ignore a trapped Survivor because I know I won’t get to them in time. And even if you don’t go for them, the deep wound adds to the time penalty of getting caught in the first place. It would make setting and even moving traps more worthwhile since it would slow the game down a bit.

• Musxussu575
    Musxussu575 Member Posts: 20
    Options

I don't think any of his Browns should be basekit (Bear Oil, Makeshift Wrap, Padded Jaws, Trapper Gloves).

The disarm/escape time add-ons... meh, the Pig has similar, so I suppose constancy reigns supreme here.

Coffee Grounds (yellow)? I'm not quite sure I understand this one anymore. If I'm not mistaken, Trapper gets a speed boost for a short time afterwards as basekit now anyway, but I don't know how much...

Yes, the Lengthened Jaws (deep wound) is probably his best low-to-middle-tier add-on and it would be a nice buff as basekit. Serrated Jaws (hemorrhage) would also be sort of thematic as basekit - bleeding out from stepping on a trap, but the hemorrhage effect isn't gamechanging enough to account for a desireable buff. Rusted Jaws (mangled) inflicts the slowdown half of Sloppy Butcher but only if you actually step on the trap as opposed to being hit.

The Tar Bottle shouldn't be basekit because both trap skins work better in different maps.

I've never really bothered with Oily Coil (reset a trap to reveal the aura of the survivor who disarmed it) but it could be a basekit buff (currently 5s). I also don't particularly care for Trapper Sack and wouldn't consider it an ideal buff.

So all in all, about half of his add-ons are mild contenders for baseline buffs if that is the question. Aside from add-ons, though, I'm not sure what else could happen. He's already a 4.6 m/s and 32m terror radius killer - changing those wouldn't make sense. I just don't know.

• Archol123
    Archol123 Member Posts: 3,197
    Options
    He needs minor buff.

He will always be problematic because he is a hit or miss killer without potential for much technical skill but more knowledge. Either the survivor steps into your trap or not, there is no in between.

• jonifire
    jonifire Member Posts: 1,437
    edited November 2023
    Options

The only thing, that needs to be improved is how you get your traps quickly.

How can I change my vote.

• Astel
    Astel Member Posts: 616
    edited November 2023
    Options
    He needs massive buff.

Sorry but I don't know too... It seems changing vote is impossible.

• Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 4,807
    Options

He's fine. He's been given some love recently and there's an update being promised to spawn traps closer to generators, so he's in a decent spot for the poster boy and as a beginner Killer.

For me, Killers ought to have a tier of strength of power. I like how Killers can be like difficulty levels.

• RareFantom47
    RareFantom47 Member Posts: 87
    Options

I love Trapper, he was my first main, no matter how bad I played or how many times I've lost. But thinking in a balanced way, I think he's okay, I wish he were better off, but he's better. Now with eight traps instead of six is so much more relieving, the haste with the traps is alright, but I don't always notice it.

• Marc_123
    Marc_123 Member Posts: 3,243
    Options

Played some games the last days as i really like the Naughty Bear.

Against strong teams who disarm your traps constantly he really suffers.

Normal players can have real problems with him and the traps...

And boy got i salt for some games where i hooked in the basement and defended it well...

• 09SHARKBOSS
    09SHARKBOSS Member Posts: 1,143
    Options

great killer overall

• Chiky
    Chiky Member Posts: 598
    Options
    He needs minor buff.

Just make him start with all the traps and that's all