If you were affected by the Grade Reset Bloodpoints not being awarded properly, you will receive any missing Bloodpoints shortly. You may need to restart your game for the rewards to appear. Thank you for your patience!

Distortion really does more harm than good to survivors

Options
fussy
fussy Member Posts: 1,126

I'm more and more often noticing bad impact on my matches of stealth players on both sides.

In my killer games i usually bring one aura perk. It's BBQ, Nowhere to Hide or Gearhead. Rarely i run UW instead. And it's almost impossible to go through all these tokens, unless you are stealth killer. Thing is, i constantly chase same people over and over again. 2 distortions in lobby pretty often will end up in 6 hooks on 2 people without distortion. I'm tunneling simply because I have no other choice.

If i didn't see anyone on my BBQ or Gearhead and gens are on the other side of the map, most often I'll just check the nearest ones and return to proxy camping, since all other decisions could cost me a lot of time. Unless i play Blight, Dredge, Artist or Alien, of course.

And I was even more convinced of what was written above after watching these players in my survivor games. I noticed that distortion users act literally like bots.

Barely heard terror radius? Walk slowly beside the rock.

Killer somewhere in my way to hooked survivor? You know what, i will just seat here and watch you go to second stage. God forbid killer will know i exist in this match.

He heals me after unhook and hears TR? Well, stay here injured and i will be ride beside this rock if anything.

Whole team died because Distortion player did nothing but crouching whole game? HE WILL TEABAG THE HELL OUT OF THIS HATCH!!! SEE THIS, KILLER??? IM WINNER HERE!!! YOU ARE LOSER, HATCH IS MINE!! OH GOD IM SO GOOD AT THIS GAME

Yeah, i got it, most Distortion users are awful in chase and maybe it's right to help yourself not to be founded. But i don't understand the point of this game for you, guys. How you want to be good at this game without being good in chase? Like, you will have 3k hours in this game and all this time it's just m1+crouch simulator for you?

I think Distortion should gain stacks MUCH harder, it's stupid how many boring and unhealthy gameplay produce unlimited of this perk.

Comments

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 7,956
    edited February 7
    Options

Its up to the users, they can recognize teammates get 1-2 hooks and start to take chase. Or not. Selfish perks exist, so does play style.

They only need to make the perks gain token through chase, thats all.

• fussy
    Options

Can you explain how aura perks worse than slowdown or chase perks? For example, i will be happy if killer brings 4 aura perks, because it's easy escape. Unless it's Nurse or good Huntress on open map.

• supersonic853
    supersonic853 Member Posts: 5,341
    edited February 7
    Options

Like i posted earlier today i had a mindgame clown build using both the aura read addons and im-all-ears. Not a sweaty build just going for some fun mindgames with invigoration and bottles. Chased a kate. Never saw her aura the whole game because clown has a 32 meter tr and both addons cap out at 16 meters for 6 seconds at most. Meanwhile her perk would be constantly activating nullifying 3 of my things. Then proceeds to remove her scratch marks as well allowing her to instead mindgame me continously. If stakeout and pebble cant charge in chase because "they are stealth perks" what makes distortion different? So then the counterplay becomes "run stealth and even more aura reveal so you can shred the stacks" maybe i just wanna run a minor aura reveal combo and get value out of it? But i guess i could just play wraith and use his purple addon so their perk never gets any true value. Sorry clown. The perk distinguishes you from wraith.

• supersonic853
    supersonic853 Member Posts: 5,341
    edited February 7
    Options

Meanwhile wraiths over here. "What you got wraith? I had to run 2 addons and a aura reveal perk and still couldnt see kate"

Wraith:"foolish clown. For i have all seeing blood. She never replenishes her stacks Because im always cloaked and ill shred them in the first 2 chases against her. Distortion? HA"

I mean i guess its a way to tell survivors their distortion isnt infallible against all killers i guess. Just sucks normal m1 killers get punished so much more than others when it comes to just running a simple aura reveal combo.

• Firellius
    Firellius Member Posts: 4,038
    Options

Yep, different perks have different interactions with different killers.

If you think that's bad, try Autodidact against a Plague.

• Brimp
    Brimp Member Posts: 2,760
    Options

Distortion could be the pure cause or a symptom. Either way usually people with distortion can and will usually hide when they hear a TR making the killer have to spend even more time to find them. That time WILL add up leading to some to tunnel or camp.

• IamFran
    IamFran Member Posts: 1,600
    Options

Distortion is one of the most awfull perks of the game imo, I hate it and it is becoming more and more popular since the buff.

It can potentially counter several killer perks at once with just one perk slot.

Builds with Nowhere to hide + Lethal pursuer are quite frequent, or Nowhere to hide + BBQ. Also some killer addons.

"But killers have perks which can counter several survivor perks at once" and it is not bad, because is just 1 person against 4.

If Distortion become popular to a point of seeing it equiped by 2-3 persons per match, killers will stop to equip aura reading perks and will equip even more gen regression/protection perks and will end up being worse for survivors, because the meta builds for killers are usually gen perks + information perks and the information perks are frequently aura reading.

• Livion
    Livion Member Posts: 154
    edited February 7
    Options

You know? I came here thinking "It's about to be a ######### show in here", but it actually isn't ,everyone discussing very respectfully and I found that weird in this type of post.

As for the distorsión "problem" I believe that it's an alright perk but I agree that it can be detrimental to the survivor team if only 1-3 are using it, I personally don't run it because I don't like stealth in survivors but that's just me

Post edited by EQWashu on
  • Coffeecrashing
    Coffeecrashing Member Posts: 3,263
    Options

BHVR said the biggest gap between solo q and SWF is the players, and the fact that solo q might not work together as much. Distortion therefore should be nerfed, because it encourages a lone wolf playstyle, where the player has already decided to play selfishly, even before the game has even started.

Does everyone remember that Eruption was nerfed, because some people were using it to make extended 3-gen games? It didn't matter that "not all killers" were doing this. Likewise, it doesn't matter if "not all survivors" are playing selfishly when they equip Distortion. BHVR should continue to close the gap between solo q and SWF, and should focus on perks that encourage anti-teamwork.

• HoodedWildKard
    HoodedWildKard Member Posts: 2,013
    Options

Tbh i use distortion more for info than stealth. I lose a token and 9 time out of 10 i know exactly what triggered it and boom i can tell my team one of the killers perks/add ons.

Plus I always sit there sniggering like mutley when a killer tries to spot me with nowhere to hide, kicks a gen and does a quick 360 then wanders off 🤣

Real talk though it's such a good survivor perk. Maybe a crutch for the urban evader types but it's also mad useful for survs in chase too.

• skylerbound
    skylerbound Member Posts: 736
    Options

It’s a soloQ killer. Played killer last night for a daily and 2 teammates had calm spirit and distortion. I legit only had 2 survivors to chase most of the time and it was clearly too much pressure for the whole team. They got 1 gen done.

• fussy
    Options

You are not a person i talked about. You are not useless while stealthy. You are really smart and use stealth as a tool, i respect it. For the same reason i always talk to my friends don't run mindlessly to gen in the start of trial, because you can do a big job for killer. Stealth is a big aspect of the game and could be really strong tool in right hands.

I talked about players who deny a whole gameplay on their part by this playstyle and perks. And cause more damage to team than help. Unfortunately, there are most of these players.

Completely agree. I rarely run Distortion (simply not my playstyle), but it's always a big info tool, even if killer have 0 aura perks.

• fussy
    edited February 7
    Options

True, this is what my post about. I always laugh crazy hard when such players accuse me of tunneling in endgame chat. When i literally saw this player only once, when whole team was dead.

• Coffeecrashing
    Options

Except that BHVR directly told us the gap between solo q and SWF is mostly due to solo q not working together as much.

Do you want BHVR to address the gap between solo q and SWF, or are you happy with solo q right now?

• fussy
    Options

If killer want to tunnel hard, Distortion does nothing, because it's happening right off hook. How do you imagine "Oh, i will use my BBQ/NTH to tunnel this person out" situation? It's true in UW-CS situation, but not in Distortion.

• satx3241
    satx3241 Member Posts: 82
    Options

The first thing I would say is there are two types of stealth players. There are those that play selfish and those that don't. It has been my experience I am much more likely to escape as a survivor if I get paired with teammates with different styles of play unless one of those is the selfish stealth player that is just waiting for everyone else to die.

While the survivor side of DBD is designed to be a team game it would be a misnomer to say it is not also an individual game. Nearly everyone plays with a certain degree of selfishness. I won't even attempt to say I don't play with a certain degree of selfishness, and anyone that has played this game for any length of time as a survivor knows if you don't come in with a 4 man SWF team the chances of getting paired with survivors that will either intentionally sandbag the rest of their team the whole game or just play horrible are greater than the chances of getting paired with a truly good team. In other words I'm not going to play a completely selfish loadout, but I'm also not going to play a 100% team based loadout when I know the other people on my team are more likely to screw me over than they are to work as a team to try to escape.

I play distortion nearly every match as a survivor not because I want to see others tunneled out, but because I know I am going to have more games where it's beneficial than not due to the fact that my chances of getting paired with a bad team are much greater than getting paired with a good team.

• drsoontm
    drsoontm Member Posts: 4,097
    Options

I tend to use aura perks more than anything else.

As far as I'm concerned, "Distortion" is the best perk any survivor can take to go against me as killer.

• Coffeecrashing
    Options

No. When I'm survivor, I'd never ever want teammates that want to excessively hide, instead of helping with their share of the chases. Pretty much every survivor can hold M1 on a generator. There's nothing special or supportive of teammates that are excessively hiding.

And those survivors are double bad for their team, because 1) they don't want to help with chases, and 2) they're usually really bad at chases, and their stealth build is artificially inflating their MMR, which means that if the killer does find them, it's usually a quick trip to a hook.

• Brimp
    Brimp Member Posts: 2,760
    edited February 8
    Options

Well its a pattern with survivors. They immerse so when you go out to patrol the person gets insta saved and usually the unhooker hides. Why should I go to find the unhooker rather than just tunneling the other person out for the unhookers inability to take pressure? The killer does decide to tunnel and camp yes but survivors own choices also play a factor into that.

There's also the fact that some maps are just SO easy to hide on to the point where its just not worth it to try and look for the person.

• Coffeecrashing
    Options

It's not a rare "worst possible outcome". It's literally what I see the majority of the time with Distortion users.

• Snowbawlzzz
    Snowbawlzzz Member Posts: 1,415
    Options

Some people choosing to hide in a horror game is not justification for a nerf

• Tabatha
    Tabatha Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 5
    Options

I just played against a Wesker that dropped every chase, even if the survivor they were chasing was injured, just to hard tunnel the person who was unhooked out of the match.

It really doesn't matter how survivors play, killers will tunnel because it's almost impossible to lose if you get someone out before two or three gens pop. Why have a competitive match when you can guarantee a win within the first few minutes of the match?

• Pennywise
    Pennywise Member Posts: 251
    edited February 8
    Options

My experience with Distortion is I hardly ever get tunnelled if I take it. If I am playing in a SWF, at least one of us takes Distortion so we know right away if the killer has Lethal Pursuer and we can quickly tell if a killer has BBQ or any other aura perks if the tokens get consumed or not. This info can greatly impact how we play out that game.

It isn't an essential perk but when taken it absolutely helps survivors no end, it maybe too good in its current form.

• Spare_Them_Mori_Me
    Spare_Them_Mori_Me Member Posts: 1,285
    Options

Nerfing perks is not how you fix 'the gap' imo. So that I understand perspective, why does anything a perk does have anything to do with addressing the gap? Hiding and such will happen just as often, with or without any perk in the game. It's a playstyle choice, just like tunneling, for example. Come on... This can't be how the game is 'fixed', by nerfing perks constantly, one after another.

• ShinobuSK
    ShinobuSK Member Posts: 5,279
    Options

Im sorry you having bad experience with distortion but I rarely see it on survivors.

And killers usually juggle 2 survivors until they are dead, distortion or not. Simply 2 people found first.

But I dont run the perk myself so maybe I dont really see the connection here

• BlackRose89
    BlackRose89 Member Posts: 170
    Options

Yeah instead focusing on aura perks killers will just run multiple slowdown perks instead. Here a question as a survivor what would you rather have? A killer who run 4 slowdowns or a killer who has maybe one or two slowdown, and a aura perk or two?

• Nick
    Nick Member Posts: 1,183
    Options

Distortion hurts the survivor team because it puts potentially more pressure on your team. As the killer will focus on the other survivors and kill them more efficient because the distortion person is being stealthy.

Only time it benefits a survivor team is they either ALL run it. Or you use it in a 4 man SWF on the Deli person. Keeps him out of first chase, makes him being able to set up for the first save and he can call out aura perks to the rest of the team.

• appleas
    appleas Member Posts: 1,009
    edited February 8
    Options

Distortion just needs to change recharging of tokens to be within chase/altruistic/objective actions instead of just crouching within tr. This would encourage Distortion Survivors to interact with the Killer, help fellow Survivors or do Objectives in the match. For the Survivor who uses Stealth in their gameplay but isn’t afraid of going for a save or do a gen, they wouldn’t be affected. For the lone wolves who just want to crouch all game and wait for hatch, this will dissuade them from relying on said gameplay as a crutch.

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 7,956
    Options

I would ask the same for killers.

Are multiple 2nd chances okay?

Are 4 Gen rush perks are okay?

Then why is Ultimate weapon being fine when denying survivors aura perks? But Distortion is not?

• glitchboi
    glitchboi Member Posts: 5,954
    edited February 8
    Options

Would it be a good change if Distortion didn't lose a token when another survivor's aura is shown at the same exact time your aura would be shown? I feel like it might prevent them from being 0 hooked for the entire game and have the rest of the team get killed because the killer now has the option to find you if they use BBQ for instance.

Or perhaps make it so that Distortion takes up two tokens instead of one if another survivor's aura is shown at the exact same time, that way it's more useful against Nowhere to Hide and still works against Lethal.

I think Distortion is fine but there's some instances where it gets annoying that I end up hooking everyone 3 hook states without tunneling and there's one guy left I get only one hook on and less bloodpoints off of all because the aura reading of BBQ never lead me to them. I like playing for hooks, not kills.

• CountOfTheFog
    CountOfTheFog Member Posts: 1,615
    edited February 8
    Options

I think if Distortion is going to get a nerf then Killer aura perks need to also run on a Token system.

I use Distortion on my P100 or if the lobby has at least 2 higher prestige Survivors.

I honestly don't feel that I have a choice. It never stops me from bringing 'We'll Make It' and being Altruistic. When I use Distortion it replaces Prove Thyself.

I would love to use 'No One Left Behind' but making it to endgame is rare in SoloQ these days. Very rare.

One last point, I'm not good in chases. If the killer has Lethal Presuer and targets me first, it's pretty much game over.

I don't notice any teammates acting selfish with Distortion. I only notice it if they have 'Left Behind' or that one Ada Wong perk that helps you when you are the Las Survivor standing.

EDIT:

Also, when I realize BBQ is in play, I still go in a locker to save my tokens. I'm guessing I'm not the only one and that's how Survivors are staying hidden. I don't waste tokens on BBQ because for all I know the Killer is also running 'No Where to Hide' and/or 'Bitter Murmur'

If the Killer spawns in with 'Lethal Presuer', I *always* jump in a locker prior to a hook. That combo (LP & BBQ) is way too common in my region, not to mention any other aura perks and add-ons that could deplete my Distortion Tokens.

Post edited by CountOfTheFog on