Commodius vs. Engineer's Toolbox - Where is my math wrong?

Options
UndeddJester
UndeddJester Member Posts: 2,390
edited February 24 in General Discussions

So I've long heard that Commodius toolboxes are better than Engineer's toolboxes from many sources, and I've just accepted it as fact.

I created a build recently centered around Scavenger and my logic was, if I take the toolbox that expends charges faster, I can take a full set of charge addons, expend my Toolbox quicker and start getting Scavenger stacks to get it back... the value probably balances out...

So I started doing the maths vs.the Commodius Toolbox... and it doesn't add up, the Engineers Toolbox comes out better at base... can someone tell me where I'm going wrong please?

• Generator: 90 charges
  • Repair Speed: 1 c/s
  • Commodius: 1.5 c/s for 32 charges
  • Engineers: 2 c/s for 16 charges

As far as I understand, charges in toolboxes = charges on gens. So with that in mind, with full charge add-ons, we add 20 charges. Streetwise for efficiency interest effectively adds 25% (x1.25) extra charges on the total.

The formula for generator repairs is a simple:

• Time = Charges / Charges_per_second

Commodius Toolbox

Base: 32 charges in 21.333 seconds. +58 charges remaining = 79.333s to complete a gen.

Add-ons: 52 charges in 34.667 seconds. +38 charges remaining = 72.667s to complete a gen.

BNP+AO: 44 charges in 29.333 seconds. +46 (-10 for BNP) = 36 charges remaining = 65.333s to complete a gen.

Streetwise: 65 charges in 43.333s. +25 charges remaining = 68.333s to complete a gen.

Engineer's Toolbox

Base: 16 charges in 8 seconds. +74 charges remaining = 82s to complete a gen.

Add-ons: 36 charges in 18 seconds. +54 charges remaining = 72s to complete a gen.

BNP+AO: 28 charges in 14 seconds. +62 (- 10 for BNP = 52 charges remaining = 66s to complete a gen.

Streetwise: 45 charges in 22.5s. +45 charges remaining = 67.5s to complete a gen.

Conclusion

At base, yes the Commodius is better, but with full charge add-ons, it loses to the Engineer's Toolbox, and of course the Engineer's Toolbox gets its charges down faster, so if you want to finish off a generator quickly due to time pressure, the Engineer's is better too. Commodius wins out on BNP but again the difference is negligible....

Is my maths wrong somewhere? Or have I misunderstood something? Plz correct me if I'm wrong...

Also... if I'm right... Engineer's Toolbox with full add-ons with Scavenger... it's kinda the sauce.

Post edited by UndeddJester on

Comments

• bjorksnas
    bjorksnas Member Posts: 5,225
    edited February 24
    Options

Skillchecks

• UndeddJester
    Options

Ahhhh, ofc, the 40% skillcheck chance! That's what I was missing. Cheers lad! 😁

• MagicDragon
    MagicDragon Member Posts: 63
    Options

As well as the skill checks, it's actually better in terms of raw speed to bring the yellow repair speed addon instead of the brown charges addon, for the commodious toolbox specifically. For the engineer's, double charges always wins out. here's the math:

-Engineer's, wire, swivel: 28/2.3 + 62 = 74.174... (with streetwise: 35/2.3 + 55 = 70.217...)

-Commodious, 2 charge add ons: 52/1.5 + 38 = 72.666... (with streetwise: 55/1.8 + 35 = 68.333...)

-Engineer's, 2 charge add ons: 36/2 + 54 = 72 (with streetwise: 45/2 + 45 = 67.5)

-Commodious, wire, swivel: 44/1.8 + 46 = 70.444... (with streetwise: 55/1.8 + 35 = 65.555...)

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 8,930
    Options

This shouldn't really be a question. Commodious should probably be nerfed to 24 charges so that Engineer's is the clear winner, being a rarity higher.

• UndeddJester
    Options

Cheers lad! Another good insight! ^^

It does seem pretty backwards.

I was gonna be a little more conservative and say 28... which leaves Commodius+W+S at 72.222s, so it is just beaten out by Engineer+2Charges, and then loses on eveything else... but especially with the number of survivors who seem to be frustrated with things at the moment, i feel throwing up a call to new Commodius might be a little poorly received... even if it is only 1.8s :D