Rancid Abattoir (Coldwind Farm)

Options
Peanits
Peanits Dev, Community Manager Posts: 7,376
edited March 22 in Mapping the Realm

We'd like to know what you think about the Rancid Abattoir map, part of the Coldwind Farm realm. Please leave any feedback you have concerning this map as a comment on this thread. Your feedback can be as brief or detailed as you'd like!

Rancid Abattoir (Coldwind Farm) 273 votes

This map favours Survivors
23% 65 votes
This map feels balanced
42% 116 votes
This map favours Killers
33% 92 votes
Post edited by Jocelynbee on

Comments

• Johnny771
    Johnny771 Member Posts: 18
    Options

With the latest changes to the main building, for me the map is more balanced

I would just change the rng of the possibility of spawning strong loops connected to each other, such as a jungle gym next to the cow tree

• xltechno
    xltechno Member Posts: 971
    Options

A map that may be advantageous for killers in Nurse, Bright, and possibly Spirit. However, there is no doubt that the overall advantage is for survivors. A map where the balance of advantage is easily influenced by the survivor's loop skills.

• Samatrain
    Samatrain Member Posts: 80
    Options

The main building is honestly more fun than before with the changes. From the view of a killer player I like the change up and how there is now less emphasis on that annoying maze-like fence part. The locations of the other major loops are spaced out enough so they are bearable, and loops can be chained together pretty effectively (which might be my only concern)

• Hex_Ignored
    Hex_Ignored Member Posts: 1,575
    Options

This map WAS fine but after the rework this map can feature up to 3 giant dead zones (one between cow tree and main building, one between shack and main building and one between harvester and main building). I get that having too many strong tiles that seamlessly connect into each other is problematic but this is the other extreme.

• Emeal
    Emeal Member Posts: 4,527
    Options

This map is so much better after recent changes, no overly strong loops for Survivor.

• AnxiousGummy
    AnxiousGummy Member Posts: 103
    Options

The map feels balanced especially after the recent changes. If I could make just one suggestion (and this goes for all coldwind maps), please bring back the night time versions. Those maps were so iconic! I'd even be down for a 50/50 chance the maps will be either day time or night time when loading in.

• PaulieEsther
    PaulieEsther Member Posts: 71
    Options

Make the farms dark again!

• TripleStryke
    TripleStryke Member Posts: 53
    Options

This map gameplay wise usually is pretty balanced. There is still RNG variation but the main issue is that although there aren’t many resources the ones that remain are almost completely unplayable for most killers. If there were more mid strength pallets/tiles this map would be a much more fun for both sides.

• fussy
    fussy Member Posts: 1,079
    Options

If you guys add some loops in deadzones, it will be balanced. Now it's rare killer sided map, but not unwinnable, still can escape here with decent team.

• I_CAME
    I_CAME Member Posts: 1,108
    Options

Fill in the deadzones.

• HerInfernalMajesty
    HerInfernalMajesty Member Posts: 933
    edited March 5
    Options

The abattoir is so gross. The main building definitely evokes the feeling of an operation where things are worked on.

• gothbave
    gothbave Member Posts: 60
    Options

For me the only thing i hate about coldwin realm is that i can't really see any aura and it's very annoying and i miss this map being at night how it was before

• NightingaleOwl
    NightingaleOwl Member Posts: 20
    Options

After the rework to Abattoir there are too many deadzones. It doesn't make sense that we have Badham that often spawns 2-5 filler pallets beside shack yet shack on this map is tucked into a corner with 2 deadzones beside it. There needs to be more jungle gyms or fillers connected around the map. This map is far too killer sided at this moment with no LOS blockers for option of stealth. Please re-examine this map. We don't need 15 or so fillers, just decent gyms or fillers connected to allow survivors a chance to loop without forcing survivors to die in corners of the map to waste the killer's time.

• AMGC
    AMGC Member Posts: 39
    Options

Rancid Abattoir is a slightly killer favored map that carries problems from its realm and that suffered a rework that brought plenty of new issues to the map while not necessarily addressing all of the old ones. The 2 corn exclusive fillers tiles (where only a few weak filler loops spawn) isolate the shack away from the rest of the map. The size of the map got slightly increased for no reason and the shape got altered, 2 of its 5 mazetiles were removed and the pallet count remained the same while acquiring corn filler loops that replace some of the pallets, altogether making the map get 4 more corn tiles on average, in an update that was supposed to make the corn less prevalent in the realm of Coldwind Farm.

Coldwind Farm always had a very unique ruleset for its mazetiles, having both consistency and good distribution. Ever since the patch 6.6.0 (hidden mazetile RNG change that affected over 20 maps), Rancid Abattoir would always have 2 jungle gyms (classic pallet & window mazetile), 1 pallet gym (classic pallet only mazetile), 1 LT (classic double window mazetile) and 1 additional pallet gym or LT; the mazetiles would have one jungle gym in one corner of the map all the time and then have the other jungle gym on one of the two mazetiles furthest from it, granting the map with good distribution of safety. Unfortunately, the last Coldwind Farm update ruined this ruleset by removing 2 of the 5 mazetiles in the map, leaving the map lacking in strength in this department that is such a pillar to good balance (since mazetiles are loops that offer decent or strong safety while introducing risk-reward where survivors can drop the pallet early to be safer at the cost of losing the resource quicker vs the survivor not dropping the pallet to preserve it yet allowing the killer to potentially mindgame them to get a hit, which doesn't happen on most filler loops where the survivors keep visual on the killer all the time).

Despite the rework removing 2 of the 5 mazetiles (1 more than necessary), it still let a mazetile and a landmark be adjacent to each other, keeping the unpleasant possibility of having a set up that includes the cowtree (sacrificial tree) and a jungle gym, which will occur 1/6 of the time (since the cowtree will be there half the time and the jungle gym will be there a third of the time).

The realm Coldwind Farm is known for having very strong safety yet not a very high amount of pallets, favoring skilled survivors over killers since the limited amount of safety is enough to excel but the less skilled survivors can be at a frustrating disadvantage. This unfair and unfun gameplay loop is enabled by the filler loops, their low amount yet overwhelming safety grant the survivors too few loops to play with and don't allow the killer to outplay most of them (unless their chase power does). All the haybale filler loops are safe and some even trick the killer into attempting mindgames when the survivor can see them over the loop (but the killer can't see the survivor). The plank focused fillers overall lean more towards semi safe except for one that is excessively large with a tractor on one side and a very large L shaped long side (this loop is absurdly safe). The new corn located fillers are unsafe.

The realm Coldwind Farm should receive nerfs to the strong fillers while increasing the pallet density to compensate (and therefore make the gameplay more interactive with more loops for the survivors to use yet more room for the killer to outplay them).

The map Rancid Abattoir should increase its mazetile count to 4 while incorporating a ruleset that lets it have 2 jungle gyms, 1 pallet gym and 1 LT where the 2 jungle gyms don't appear near each other, achieving consistency and good distribution of safety. The landmarks should be relocated to not be directly adjacent to the mazetiles in order to avoid powerful set ups.

• King_Flash05
    King_Flash05 Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 35
    Options

I think this map is one of the more killer favorite maps, it has a lot of deadzones and the main building isn't as strong as it once was but it's a good map

• TheSemitron
    TheSemitron Member Posts: 14
    Options

I would be interesting if there were more pigs in this map

• NerfDHalready
    NerfDHalready Member Posts: 1,373
    Options

i think map was ok before its rework maybe except main. that's all i'm gonna say.

• Rogue11
    Rogue11 Member Posts: 1,256
    Options

I've seen far worse on this map since the rework but this is an example of the horrible gen spawns. The killer could just stand by the hill hook and watch all 3. The map is too small to space out gens properly. Main is also weak and the corn tiles are entirely dead zones.

• Mooks
    Mooks Member Posts: 14,210
    Options

Main rework was definitely needed and feels good now.

i do remember seeing some beta footage where survivors could go under these things (what are they called in English??) at certain points! Would be cool to see this in a more general (not map specific) way explored. Eg instead of breakable walls make it breakable half walls that can only be passed through crouching survivors if not broken by killer? Just as a thought.

generally I think this map is also okay and balance wise, the farm maps all improved very much with the latest reworks.

• versacefeng
    versacefeng Member Posts: 1,084
    edited March 6
    Options

The map is still unbalanced. There's more of an opportunity to spawn huge dead zones or tiles that are too good being lined up together. And if it's not dead zones or loops being too strong, its loops, specifically pallets, being utterly useless. This is the worst map rework. Obviously the end goal is to have a balanced map, so I'd say reduce the dead zones, fix strong tiles spawning too close, and make filler pallets a little stronger

Oh, the main building is good though.

• Nazzzak
    Nazzzak Member Posts: 4,450
    Options

Deadzones, not alot of pallets and most unsafe, bad gen spawns. This is the only map I'll make an actual effort to gen rush on because resources just get burned through. Need to get out fast to stand a chance.

• YmPrat
    YmPrat Member Posts: 25
    Options

Coldwind Farms is far and above my least favorite realm to play on. As a R/G colourblind player I can't see a thing on these maps. Auras? Only if I'm next to a maze tile and have the wood saving my eyesight. Scratchmarks? What are those? They're the same colour as the ground so they're literally invisible. Please do something, the colourblind filters you put in after Almo embarrassed you by talking about them are awful and don't work and they make already unfun maps even worse to play on.

Rancid Abbatoir is a fairly balanced map when it doesn't get absurd cowtree rng. Main building is weak enough that it's not worth looping as survivor. Map could be a little smaller, and have another maze tile if cow tree couldn't spawn next to strong maze tiles.

• Tipsy
    Tipsy Member Posts: 36
    Options

the map is good as is. only change would make so the maze tiles cant be all strong ones or all weak one. Had one version of the map where only LT and Pallet gyms spawned and thats too weak.

• Mag1cian
    Mag1cian Member Posts: 72
    Options

Lol there's no point in looking at the votes, how Rancid Abattoir is "balanced" or even "favors Survivors" when this map is heavily killer sided after the rework, 8-10 pallets (most of them are unsafe) huge deadzones and weak main, this community is truly lost.

• Alice_pbg
    Alice_pbg Member Posts: 6,439
    Options

same as other farm maps... seeing in corn is terrible. and worse for killer because it's first person.

but the main building is this one is usually terrible for survivors.

• Stopterriblereworks
    Stopterriblereworks Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 4
    Options

Stop terrible map reworks you guys killed coldwind the terrible tiles you have added in that take up most of the fillers that aren’t actually loopable fix this please also make coldwind dark again

• _Onyx_
    _Onyx_ Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 316
    Options

By far my favourite Coldwind map to play on as both sides. I actually feel like I can pressure teams as killer regardless of what side of the map I'm on.

As Survivor, there are some really good tile spawns that aren't broken, but linked well can be very fun to loop at. Strongest RNG is definitely shack side though, you can potentially have shack, into a jungle gym, into cow tree. So that can be quite devastating to go against as an M1.

The Main building is by far the weakest of all of the Coldwind maps, but it's still a fun loop to engage with for both roles.

• Iri4head
    Iri4head Member Posts: 25
    Options

Deadzones could be made slightly stronger, but honestly the map feels fine nowadays

• Hexonthebeach
    Hexonthebeach Member Posts: 334
    Options

This map no matter which side I'm playing is one big reason why I play map offerings. I dislike it as survivor and killer. I didn't know that this map has so many parts.

Not horrorlike, laggy, cow tree, crane, long loops. If I would need to choose between the parts then the one with the Thompson House. I like the balcony, the roof, the rooms, the hole.

But even if this would be the most killer or survivor sided map, I wouldn't use the offering.

• Vorahk08
    Vorahk08 Member Posts: 227
    Options

The small size of the map coupled with the fact that most of the strong loops are on the outer edges means that this map leans slightly killer sided. A killer who patrols gens efficiently can catch survivors in a bad spot and has a good chance of getting them down before they get to a strong loop. However, the gens are spread out enough to ensure that, most of the time, survivors can recover from someone getting hooked.

The main building is not too strong, but survivors can still play it well to at least buy the team time to get good gen progress.

• jonifire
    jonifire Member Posts: 1,437
    edited March 8
    Options

Can you please put a picture to each map, so that I don‘t have to google, which map each one is?

I didn‘t memorize each maps name.

• WampaPl
    WampaPl Member Posts: 31
    Options

Another nice map. Main building feels nice to loop especially after its got changed

• jonifire
    jonifire Member Posts: 1,437
    Options

The main building is terrible and I don‘t understand why there are so many things in the corn, instead I would make the corn closer.

Before the rework it was fine, now it‘s just terrible.

• BigSpinners
    BigSpinners Member Posts: 36
    Options

The removal of the extra maze tiles that could spawn with cowtree/harvester into another maze tile was needed, however it could use some extra filler pallets as it now has huge dead zones, I'm also not sure why one of the windows at main was removed?

• AWildGoose
    AWildGoose Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 3
    Options

I think the size of this map is great and main became a lot more fun after the rework. That being said there are like a total of 10 pallets if you're lucky which heavily favours killers. Just add a few more loops around main with less safe pallets and it becomes a lot better.

• MxReese
    MxReese Member Posts: 14
    Options

My only complaint about this map applies to all Coldwind Farms maps equally. The color grading of the map makes it next to impossible for me to see auras or scratch marks with my protanomaly colorblindness. If I get any Coldwind Farms maps as killer, I already know I'm going to lose that game badly as soon as I spawn in.

• sailorvmoon
    sailorvmoon Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 10
    Options

Atrocious map for survivor. It used to be more survivor sided but now its just empty with hardly any pallets and many dead zones. If you were to remove the corn, this map would just be empty.

• Nick
    Nick Member Posts: 1,164
    Options

Often has a jungle gym spawn right next to cow tree, often the window even facing the cow tree.

This discussion has been closed.