Coal Tower (The MacMillan Estate)

Options
Peanits
Peanits Dev, Community Manager Posts: 7,375
edited March 22 in Mapping the Realm

We'd like to know what you think about the Coal Tower map, part of the MacMillan Estate realm. Please leave any feedback you have concerning this map as a comment on this thread. Your feedback can be as brief or detailed as you'd like!

Coal Tower (The MacMillan Estate) 210 votes

This map favours Survivors
21% 45 votes
This map feels balanced
61% 129 votes
This map favours Killers
17% 36 votes
Post edited by Jocelynbee on

Comments

• gothbave
    gothbave Member Posts: 60
    Options

the main building can be very annoying for a weak killer, imo favors survivors with the fillers on this map

• fussy
    fussy Member Posts: 1,074
    edited March 6
    Options

RNG sided, but fact it's most popular map in comp can say a lot about it. Once again, i think it should not be possible to spawn too less or too much pallets, it should always be a number close to the average.

• sizzlingmario4
    sizzlingmario4 Member Posts: 6,337
    Options

Coal Tower 1 is one of my favorite maps on both sides, as long as the generator distribution is good and the RNG lands somewhere in the middle. Occasionally the gen spawns can be a bit bad/there can be a tight 3-gen on the main building side, and sometimes the map can randomly be significantly weaker or stronger than usual. But usually I really like this map.

Coal Tower 2 honestly is just kinda boring, but it's a balanced map.

• KazRen
    KazRen Member Posts: 152
    Options

It's mostly balanced. The main building can be very strong for survivors depending on the rng and this map spawns 3 gens often.

• Archol123
    Archol123 Member Posts: 3,340
    Options

Coal tower is probably the most balanced game in the game. Sure the main building can be annoying for weaker killers but other than that the map is just great.

• Mooks
    Mooks Member Posts: 14,205
    Options

First variant is in a good spot imo, very much DbD, recognizable, mostly balanced loops, maybe the breakable walls in main can be a bit off..

Second variant seems too small (even if it’s not really too small) and harder to memorize as it lacks ‚landmarks‘? If that makes sense.. but maybe I have just not seen it often enough yet..

• AMGC
    AMGC Member Posts: 39
    Options

Coal Tower I is one of the most balanced maps in the game but it is not without some jarring flaws. Coal Tower II is different enough to the point of being killer sided. Both maps have issues with perimeters of generators that may or may not result hard to contest for survivors. The crate fillers in MacMillan are a bit too strong (the rock fillers can be mindgamed if the survivor doesn't drop the pallet early so there is a risk-reward) which can tilt the scales depending on the RNG.

Coal Tower I has a chain of 2 mazetiles that can turn problematic with the right set up. On the other side of the map from that chain, the single mazetile can potentially line up with main building's window (regardless of which window opens up, they always link to the same tiles around the building) creating a very powerful set up. There is a corner of the map composed by filler tiles that could be completely barren or full of loops. The pallet count is highly inconsistent (about 8 to 15 pallets), shifting the strength of the map a lot.

Coal Tower II has both mazetiles around main building potentially lining up with the window, doubling the chances for such a set up to happen. Unlike Coal Tower I, the survivors are very easily zoned both in chase and in the overall panorama of the match, which is mainly caused by the excessive amount of corners in the shape of the map combined with the consistently low amount of pallets (about 9 to 11). The (4 tiles) long path that crosses the middle of the map is very likely to not have many pallets and therefore contribute to the previous point by leaving the center so barren.

The realm The MacMillan Estate should receive a slight nerf to the design of crate fillers (where killers can't mindgame nor outplay a dropped pallet in most cases) to allow the filler loops to be more numerous and consistent.

Coal Tower I should stabilize its pallet count and it could relocate the mazetiles like in the example below to separate the chain, remove the potential set ups with main building, strengthen a corner near main to weaken the 3 gen perimeters and also reduce the randomness of the filler heavy corner.

Both versions of the map should keep their 5 mazetiles since it is the right amount for its realm.

Coal Tower II needs a higher pallet count, relocate the 2 mazetiles around main to not line up with the window of the building and overall tweaks to the layout.

• Iri4head
    Iri4head Member Posts: 25
    Options

Probably the most balanced map in the game as it stands. I can't really think of anything that needs to be changed on this map

• Nebula
    Nebula Member Posts: 1,392
    Options

I personally think that this is one of if not the most balanced map in the game but looking at nightlight and seeing it’s the second most killer sided map in the game does make me question its size a little bit.

• _Onyx_
    _Onyx_ Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 316
    Options

Very small map, used to be good for Killers, now it's just so easy to get taken from strong tile to strong tile by Survivors who know how to loop. Gens close together make gen hopping easy. Expect to lose a lot vs good teams with very little input on this map.

• xltechno
    xltechno Member Posts: 971
    Options

A map so well designed that it is always used in tournaments.

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 12,921
    Options

Bar some bad rng Coal Tower is one of the most balanced maps in the game and the size that they should scale all other maps around.

• Slowpeach
    Slowpeach Member Posts: 673
    edited March 7
    Options

I think that honestly speaks as to how survivor sided most maps are when it comes to competent survivors. Also Lery's Memorial is fourth mostly deadly currently. Sure Lery's is a killer sided map at low levels because people get lost but at higher levels its definitely survivor sided or at the very least much closer to even however I think because there's far more maps that favour survivors, the maps that are actually even are also some of the more 'deadly'. Don't get me wrong though, there is the likes of Midwich and others but these are rare and it also greatly depends on the killer. Some are hell for m1s but for Nurse and Blight it's a massacre.

Though yeah I agree 812 games played for Temple of Purgation and 724 for coal tower is a pretty small sample size honestly. I mean I like to use nightlight too because there's nothing else and no offense BHVR but you do conceal a lot of stats and reveal those that suit you. Which gives us no choice but to depend on questionable intel.

Granted given some of the 'takes' I see from time to time and the inability of certain people to see anything aside from their own view point it's not surprising BHVR doesn't want to reveal too much information but... yeah. At least on this forum (the map part that is) on the most part the takes have been sensible.

Having said that there are people who voted that Badham realms are killer sided so....

• Gabe_Soma
    Gabe_Soma Member Posts: 276
    Options

It is one of the most balanced even though it's a little too small.

• Vorahk08
    Vorahk08 Member Posts: 227
    Options

It's pretty balanced. The area around main building can be a pain for killers to chase in, but breaking the pallets and walls severely reduces their efficacy. Breaking the breakable walls also contributes to more effective patrol patterns, so the killer has an incentive to break them before a chase even begins.

The rest of the map is largely fine. A couple jungle gyms and a couple of strong loops are near the main building, but these are spread across decently large deadzones, so survivors need to play the area in a smart way, but it can be played well. The other side of the map, near shack, has a lot of empty space between loops, so survivors in this area need to be careful otherwise they will go down fairly quickly. If they do get to shack, though, then they are in a good spot.

Overall, a decently balanced map that doesn't feel like it favors one side over the other.

• Tipsy
    Tipsy Member Posts: 36
    Options

Coal tower 1 is almost a perfect map in terms of balance and size.

• King_Flash05
    King_Flash05 Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 35
    Options

It's quite a balanced map that can swing back and forward between either side it's an okay map

• RogueRoentgen
    RogueRoentgen Member Posts: 24
    Options

Both coal towers would be perfectly ok if incredibly strong rng for fillers and tile orientation could be prevented from spawning.

Also: we didn't need 2 coal towers

• OhDee
    OhDee Member Posts: 13
    Options

What's great about Coal Tower:

• Simple tiles, great for beginners.
    • Relatively weak main building.
    • Relatively fair for both sides.

What's bad about Coal Tower:

• Totem spawns are so obvious that you can say goodbye to any hex perk you are running.
    • Lack of line of sight blockers in the center leads to very easy information, giving survivors too much time to hold w and maintain distance, still not as bad as some other maps, though.
This discussion has been closed.