Shelter Woods (The MacMillan Estate)

Options
Peanits
Peanits Dev, Community Manager Posts: 7,375
edited March 22 in Mapping the Realm

We'd like to know what you think about the Shelter Woods map, part of the MacMillan Estate realm. Please leave any feedback you have concerning this map as a comment on this thread. Your feedback can be as brief or detailed as you'd like!

Shelter Woods (The MacMillan Estate) 225 votes

This map favours Survivors
35% 80 votes
This map feels balanced
38% 86 votes
This map favours Killers
26% 59 votes
Post edited by Jocelynbee on

Comments

• drwilburdaffodil
    drwilburdaffodil Member Posts: 99
    Options

Same issue as Disturbed Ward and old Mother's Dwelling, both variants of this map are far too large for most killers to play. Map strength being tied to size is just boring on both sides.

• Coffeecrashing
    Coffeecrashing Member Posts: 3,223
    Options

This map is way too big for killers that are stuck traversing the map at 4.4 or 4.6 speed.

• fussy
    fussy Member Posts: 1,074
    Options

Slightly survivor sided because of size, but i voted balanced. Also sometimes it has crazy RNG, where you can chain pallets mindlessly and it's boring to play against, but it's not often in my experience.

• MechWarrior3
    MechWarrior3 Member Posts: 1,394
    Options

Too large of a map. Traveling around this map takes ages as an M1. (I mostly play as) That’s my only issue

• gothbave
    gothbave Member Posts: 60
    Options

big map that favors survivors, the "main building" feels laggy for me just that part of the map (120 fps constant until i get to those PC's) feels awful to play as killer sometimes

• MrMori
    MrMori Member Posts: 1,212
    edited March 6
    Options

This map is peculiar in that some killers have an incredibly easy time, while others have an incredibly hard time, depending on how they deal with the potentially large amount of filler pallet tiles and the size of the map.

The first issue is simply the size of the map. It's too big, plain and simple.

The second issue is tile RNG. The amount of strong filler pallets you get at the large rock loops can make or break the game. Sometimes it feels like you spend the whole game going from filler to filler without being able to get a down because all the rocks spawned a pallet, and these rocks are very strong when played correctly against an M1 killer. Good survivors will predrop them and force you to break them or waste a ton of time trying to get a hit.

But when the map spawns few pallets, the fillers are gone in a couple chases and the whole map becomes a deadzone outside of jungle gyms, shack and main.

I don't mind the main building. It's decently balanced and feels reasonable for both killer and survivor.

The changes I'd make to the map is to make it much smaller, add more interesting fillers than just big rocks, and make the amount of pallets that spawn, and where they spawn less RNG dependent.

• sizzlingmario4
    sizzlingmario4 Member Posts: 6,337
    Options

These maps (both versions) are too big. This used to be kinda offset by the old version of the map having a lot of deadzones back when it didn't have a main building (which was bad for survivors), but now that it has a main building it's just a survivor sided map because of the size. It's good that it has a building now, but the map size should be reduced.

Both versions of this map also need more lockers too.

• solsol
    solsol Member Posts: 62
    Options

Despite being a way too large map, it also just has way too many deadzones. It also has an extreme lack of lockers, it's not too bad on huntress/trickster, but especially for Dredge it feels like playing with half a power.

• Snowbawlzzz
    Snowbawlzzz Member Posts: 1,406
    Options

Shrink the map and make the tree-shrine thing in the middle a loopable tile

• Mooks
    Mooks Member Posts: 14,205
    Options

Bit too big especially now that it has a (survivor strong) main building. Before that it was lacking something so good decision to add SMs building even though it feels kinda out of place a bit.

i haven’t even realized there are two variants of this map yet 🫠

• Archol123
    Archol123 Member Posts: 3,340
    Options

The main building can spawn a ridiculous window into filler loop setup, other than that the only issue is that the map is rather big.

• Iri4head
    Iri4head Member Posts: 25
    Options

Map is just a bit too big, and yet has a habit of either spawning many deadzones or many easy-to-chain tiles based on RNG. If the map were slightly shrunken and RNG reduced, it would be completely fine in my opinion.

• _Onyx_
    _Onyx_ Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 316
    Options

As cool as it was to repurpose a map notorious for being sparse of pallets with a Skull Merchant theme, this is still Killer sided and has very bland loops outside of the Main building.

The size of it can be daunting to try to navigate, but you really don't need to, there are so many gems clustered around Main that you generally always just spend the whole game bouncing between main and shack on the original variation.

• xltechno
    xltechno Member Posts: 971
    Options

Survivors have an advantage, but highly mobile killers can relatively compete with survivors.

• TripleStryke
    TripleStryke Member Posts: 53
    Options

Way too large, sometimes the main building spawns with the right door RNG to spawn some really strong set ups, but its overall not that crazy, just way too large to handle.

• WhoSoup
    WhoSoup Member Posts: 150
    Options

Of all the MacMillan variants, this is the only one I can't actually tell apart ingame. They're just way too similar, I don't know why a variant exists for this one.

The map is way, way too big for dbd. Pretty sure it's the biggest map in the game. The main building is extremely unpleasant to play because it has the chance of spawning an infinite window in addition to one god pallet and one very strong pallet. The giant tree is just pointless.

• Gabe_Soma
    Gabe_Soma Member Posts: 276
    Options

It is balanced overall.

Maybe too big in size but at the same time many deadzones and lacking of maze tiles.

• Predator97427fr
    Predator97427fr Member Posts: 3
    Options

a bit too big, not enough locker but great overall

• TxQ
    TxQ Member Posts: 7
    Options

this map is way too large, it's really painful for M1 killers, and for sure this map favors survivors, making this map small would be nice!, thank you.

• Vorahk08
    Vorahk08 Member Posts: 227
    Options

It feels like it leans slightly in the killer's favor. While it is large, a number of the loops are complete filler that are not entirely safe to begin with, and lose all value as soon as the pallet is dropped. This, combined with larger deadzones, means that chases are quite short, which compensates for how large it is. Overall, I'd say it's fairly balanced, with some of it's design leaning into the killer's favor a little.

• SwankySpook
    SwankySpook Member Posts: 3
    Options

You forgot to add lockers to this map btw

• Samatrain
    Samatrain Member Posts: 80
    Options

What everyone else is saying: the map is very big. The size makes it hard to get from point A to B but the loops are nothing special mostly just filler with 1 pallet.

• Tipsy
    Tipsy Member Posts: 36
    Options

Shelter woods one and two are both about the same in terms of strength for either side. Both large. Biggest issue the large deadzones it can spawn or areas with only one pallet. It does spawn a lot of strong filler pallets. The filler rock pallets with long and short side. the long side having a tree at each end is considered a god filler. If played right by the survivor the only way to get a hit on it without power is blood lust 3. So when the map can spawn a lot of those. it can become a little silly.

• SimpingforThePig
    SimpingforThePig Member Posts: 29
    Options

It favours survivors. It's too big, has not enough lockers, and the main building can spawn extremely strong windows.

• NerfDHalready
    NerfDHalready Member Posts: 1,373
    Options

i generally don't have any issues on the map or with its size as killer, except for that main window. that big of window loops especially with an abundance of sight is NEVER a good idea.

• luvcraft
    luvcraft Member Posts: 1,211
    Options

I recently got wrecked as Myers on this map because there are a bunch of REALLY strong loops in the camp and his anti-loop is weak.

• LordSimagical
    LordSimagical Member Posts: 24
    Options

I think its bit annoying to play both side and whole realm needs a grafik boost

• King_Flash05
    King_Flash05 Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 35
    Options

It's a map I find to not be super great for either side cuz the map is absolutely large and quite a bit of deadzones but also the main building around the tent areas it can possibly be an infinite if run correctly with the right RNG especially for the 4.4 killers

• RogueRoentgen
    RogueRoentgen Member Posts: 24
    Options

I don't mind this map (again, we didn't need 2. they are not even that different), but I wish it was smaller and comprised more filler pallets.

• Ihmislehma
    Ihmislehma Member Posts: 22
    Options

Too large, the tree in the middle has nothing interesting to it and is just a deadzone.

NO MacMillan map needed two variants. Drop them. Take them out. That's just even more memorizing in a game that's already heavy on it.

• CodesterKing
    CodesterKing Member Posts: 11
    Options

This map is great, definitely one of my favourities out of the macmillan realm.

Although it can be a little rough for low mobility killers due to the size. I think trimming it down a little would help those killers create pressure.

One particular window by the main building in the tent area is also a little too long. It's fine as is, but a breakable wall would be a really smart decision here.

Overall, good map. Not much else to say.

• Caiman
    Caiman Member Posts: 2,046
    Options

Main building loves to lag my game on console.

This discussion has been closed.