We are investigating an issue in the game that causes strobing/flashing lights, and are focused on fixing it as soon as possible. Some players may be impacted by this issue and experience discomfort from it, so we recommend taking proper precautions.

And until we fix this issue, we recommend that players with photosensitivity, or who have an epileptic condition or have had seizures of any kind consult their physician before playing.

I feel bad for NA players

Options
MaTtRoSiTy
MaTtRoSiTy Member Posts: 1,724

I am in OCE (Australia) but because of my work hours I often have to play at times where player numbers are low, so I use ExitLag to play NA west coast so I don't get the same 3 players over and over.

I find NA to be quite chill compared to sweaty OCE but the hard tunnelling at 5 gens is absolutely insane in NA. At least on the LA servers I connect to.

Sure we get tunnelling in OCE but nowhere near the extent I have experienced on NA and in general the killers are far lower skilled but compensate by hard tunnelling the first easy down they find.

Yesterday almost every match I played on NA was killer proxying to hard tunnel out players and it was overall a pretty miserable experience. I really hope BHVR do start to address tunnelling as it is getting ridiculous now.

FYI: to be clear I NEVER play killer on NA servers as the ping would be unfair. As survivor it means I am at a disadvantage as I get hit 10 feet away through windows and pallets

Comments

• Nazzzak
    Nazzzak Member Posts: 4,366
    Options

I've said countless times that I fortunately don't see the extreme tunnelling that others claim to see often. I'm in Australia too. I feel like a lot of experiences in gaming come down to regional attitudes. Though I also find most of my games to be chill, but that might simply be a difference in MMR. I imagine the higher one goes in MMR, the sweatier it tends to get.

• MaTtRoSiTy
    Options

I don't see it in OCE as much but in NA it is beyond ridiculous. Honestly I would say just about every match yesterday was the same thing; killer chases until they find an easy survivor to down... wait just outside self unhook range to wait for someone to come in for the save and tunnel the unhooked survivor until dead so its a 3v1 at 4-5 gens.

At that point its pretty much gg go next and the match feels pointless to continue with

• Nazzzak
    Options

That sucks. I haven't had a tunnelling killer in about 12 or so hours of play (since before the event). I'd probably quit if I had that every match.

• MaTtRoSiTy
    Options

Nah I haven't on OCE, at least not the shameful hard tunnelling I see on NA. Just very sweaty killers so I switched to killer myself for now

I am okay with buffing killers and survivor did need a nerf (I am a survivor main myself) but the result has been full gen build tunnelling camping killers. So something does need to be done about that at some point, as if you're on NA the experience is pretty miserable from what I can tell

• Wiggles_Diggles
    Wiggles_Diggles Member Posts: 174
    Options

Dose it happen a good chunk of games, yes. As often as people say it dose probably not. We tend to remember negatives far more than positives. So say every one and four(this is based off if the games I have played and this isn’t me personally getting tunneled as well) games you get tunneled you will remember that one game a lot more then the other three and this it will feel like it happens more often then not.

• MaTtRoSiTy
    edited March 25
    Options

I get what your saying but this isn't the case, I have over 4k hours since Jan 2019 and I have never seen tunnelling like the present day.

I am not being hyperbolic, EVERY SINGLE MATCH has been the same thing - killer gets survivor on hook. Tunnels until dead then repeat process.

Edit: Okay so ironically I just got the first killer who actually didn't tunnel hard

• MaTtRoSiTy
    Options

Being in Australia obviously I can only do West Coast/LA servers but it sounds like it's the same on your East Coast too.

Real shame as ironically NA is also quite chill in other ways... just the hard tunnelling man, it really ruins the fun and it's out of control

• Nebula
    Nebula Member Posts: 1,387
    Options

Agreed. My poor buddy’s not bad at the game, but not good enough to avoid being hard tunneled and he spends half his time playing this game in spectator mode. I always try my best to protect him but it doesn’t really feel like it ever matters if they’re truly trying to get someone out of the game.

The tunneling meta forces survivors to play sweaty and crank out gens as fast as they can because if it’s a 3v1 before 2 gens left, you’re just not getting out. It's a perpetual cycle.

BHVR please get us out of this 😭

• MaTtRoSiTy
    Options

I totally agree, it is a vicious circle at this point and I am not entirely sure how to break it.

• WolfyWood
    WolfyWood Member Posts: 265
    Options

It's very solvable tbh. At this point it's just willingness and whether or not it would actually net more profits. We have no information so we can only speculate that the devs must not see a significant dip in earnings to make them act.

It's very clear that the carrot-on-a-stick approach and any other bribery tactics do not work. Hard punishments need to exist.

Something like hooking a survivor twice in an allotted time-frame causes a reverse pain resonance effect where the two highest gens get 25% max progress. Unhook BT should remove collision to punish players for bodyblocking with anti tunnel measures.

Corrupt Intervention and DeadLock also need to be basekit for anything meaningful to happen though.

• MaTtRoSiTy
    Options

At this point I am happy for any options to at least be tried.

I have been using DS and Off the Record and I have to say OTR is great value but after that it seems most feel like they are in it for the long run and most times my DS has run out by the time they finally get me down. Or if I go down before DS expires the stun often isn't long enough to get very far anyway.

I am tired of having to run a build around anti-tunnel I know that much

• Xyvielia
    Xyvielia Member Posts: 2,415
    Options

Yeah, always wanted to live in Australia… except for the bugs; heard the bugs were really creepy there😱

NA East Coast Tunneling is silly extreme

Wonder why tunneling levels differ from region to region, tho🤔

• Nun_So_Vile
    Nun_So_Vile Member Posts: 1,959
    edited March 25
    Options

NA East is the playground for the toughest of the tough. They were born with tunneling, molded by it.

• Nebula
    Nebula Member Posts: 1,387
    Options

I’d guess that it maybe has to do with the difference in cultures. With Americans typically being more individualistic than the majority of the world. We’re taught that the most important person in the world is yourself and that you should put yourself over others. This could be reflected in game by survivors playing more selfishly and killers playing more deviously.

• MaTtRoSiTy
    Options

I think Nebula is right to some extent, I do notice a lot more very selfish plays in NA. Not to say I haven't played with some really nice survivors either but there is definitely far more of a sense of everyone out for themselves and I often die so everyone else can get out.

EU gets a lot more tunnelling too from what I can tell, I think it again can be down to certain areas where empathy and selflessness are not valued as much.

Again to be clear, I have played with some really fun randoms who were clearly just nice people and they threw themselves at the killer to save me. But the standard of killers is lower and I think many just resort to tunnelling instead of... well, getting good in all honesty.

• LeFennecFox
    LeFennecFox Member Posts: 1,076
    Options

Would be nice if people stopped vpning to NAE in general. 75% of the time someone is mass slugging and afking or hard tunneling it's a SA player on 200+ ping.

• SpaghettiVase
    SpaghettiVase Member Posts: 341
    Options

I am from NA but I swf sometimes with my friend in Japan and I must say that i often PREFER It despite the ping. Since I'm only queued with one other person and we are not discord calling it is basically solo queue and my experience from other survivors is way more positive. I will say I do get tunneled a decent amount there compared to NA though but I think that is probably due to killers over there thinking I'm "VPN abusing," Don't really know though, no killer has ever said anything.

• MaTtRoSiTy
    Options

I think if you VPN as killer you are completely unethical and should be deeply ashamed of yourself. It borders on exploiting and I have never even once attempted killer on NA. Some of the most unpleasant killers I have encountered on NA servers have not been from the US/Canada too.

• MaTtRoSiTy
    Options

You are at a disadvantage as survivor on VPN anyway, my ping is around 170ms to NA from OCE and while it is playable I quite often get hit long after a pallet drop or 10 feet through the other side of a window. I am sure if you VPN you already experienced that anyway.

I mainly play NA due to more players available at the weird hours I often play but the tunnelling has gotten noticeably worse of late.

• SpaghettiVase
    SpaghettiVase Member Posts: 341
    Options

That's true but I don't think that most people understand that.

• hermitkermit
    hermitkermit Member Posts: 90
    Options

There's no reason for killers not to tunnel unfortunately, as there is simply no drawback to doing so. The "anti-tunneling" perks are more of a nuisance than an actual deterrent, as it only takes a simply m1 and that protection is gone. Low risk and High reward. I don't think it will ever be changed until it no longer provides the same presure.

I think tunneling should impact generator speed. Most killers tunnel because they believe gen speeds are too fast. If a killer hooks a survivor consecutively, gens get a repair speed buff making them take less time to complete. if hooks are spread, gens get a repair speed nerf, taking them longer to complete. I think this is fair for both sides, as it doesn't take away the killers ability to tunnel but it is no longer the most optimal way to play, and it increases the chances of every survivor able to play the game, contributing to the game as a whole.

• Xyvielia
    Options

Could be the reason, probably is the reason as to why.

Just seems like there’s something genuinely sinister… almost evil, about it.

Player behavior in DBD low key reminds me of Ghostbusters 2; How the slime consisted of all the self centered hatred, which Ray (character in the movie) perfectly described as “Pure, Concentrated Evil!”

There’s an interwoven sinister darkness to this game that people are oblivious to, that clouds judgment and seemingly possesses certain players to become something contrary to their typical personality or psychological make-up.

Like when a intended spell is cast, or a supernatural door is opened, something else (aside from what was intended) enters in and takes precedence, and isn’t realized until it’s too late, if at all.

Interesting, isn’t it, that NO other games like DBD have succeeded.

Not saying Dark Majik or Necrnomiconian incantation or anything of the likes of ancient sacred rituals were used to conjure power within this creation, at all.

It is interesting though, especially how addictive this particular game is to players, as well as the way player’s moods are greatly altered, and the incredible denial undergone when they vehemently argue they’re not addicted.

Not everyone is addicted to DBD… but many are, I’ve experienced this mania myself at one time. It’s like being poisoned by ultra lust sensations, and the poison continually makes you feel guilty if you seek a remedy, while simultaneously blaming you for drinking it every day, then threatening to take away that erotic ecstasy high if you try to discontinue the indulgence.

Weird, I know🤪

• TheSubstitute
    TheSubstitute Member Posts: 2,213
    Options

Thanks for pointing that out. It does make sense it's a regional thing. I play in NA and most of my games are how you describe. It used to be roughly 20 to 25% of the time but now it's definitely the majority of matches. I'd say maybe about 1 in 5 survivor games are enjoyable right now which doesn't bode well.

• Xyvielia
    Options

Also, in NA Tunneling amount fluctuates between certain hours of the day/evening.

I experience immense Tunneling between 3PM and 11PM EST on the weekdays, then tapers off in the overnight hours.

Weekends it mostly seems like a all day event.

• MaTtRoSiTy
    Options

Yeah I think its because a lot of the casuals come out during peak play hours. While we don't have the tunnelling problem to the extent I experienced on NA, they definitely do come out during the same hours as you mentioned.

• coca_blue
    coca_blue Member Posts: 1
    Options

Nono. Youre absolutely right. As someone who lives in the west coast THE TUNNELING IS REAL. Im a returning player, i played around 2017/18 to maybe 2020 and i can say tunneling was never a big thing but only to toxic players. I only ever tunneled when heated but even so i hated the idea of tunneling. Anyways in 2024/late 2023 i stopped playing dbd for some reasons but mainly because i get tunneled so fast in the beginning. Even with all the fancy perks, they just wait it out. Now i dont know if the killer is just absolutely garbage but talk about bloodthirsty. Or another example is some killers tunnel bad/new players because they cant catch someone who runs them. Ive noticed that too. Im not a BAD player but im not the best either. Its just annoying you have to tunnel out the noobs because you cant catch that one person. (sure wtv its smart but as a retired killer main i think its super sad and a skill issue if you ask me)

• MaTtRoSiTy
    Options

Yep and if the killer finds you and you're an easier target than the last survivor they tried, they will often relentlessly tunnel you out of the game.

You have played DBD so you at least have likely experienced a lot of the good times in game too but imagine the new player experience where they are continually tunnelled out of matches because they are an easy target! This is not a positive experience that will make anyone want to keep playing the game and that is a concern imo

• Xyvielia
    Options

It was so frequent a couple years ago that it got to the point my friends and I were wondering if it was a certain age group getting off school that increased the tunneling around that time… tho I don’t believe that to be entirely true. Anyone at any age could be playing those hours after getting off work, or waking up on a different schedule, and it’s all coincidental.

Regardless, that more effort hasn’t been put into curbing the excess abuse of tunneling as a strat (knowing that there’s a proper way to utilize the tunnel, and the abuse of tunneling is a serious issue plaguing players who love DBD for years, now) it certainly validates questioning BHVR’s best interests.

• Spare_Them_Mori_Me
    Spare_Them_Mori_Me Member Posts: 1,157
    Options

The more low skilled killers a region has, the more hard tunnelers. Its pretty simmple lol

• Xyvielia
    edited March 26
    Options

It probably is mostly lower skilled players, I agree with that.

I will say this, however, and it’s bound to be unbelievable to the stans out there, but it’s truth; I’ve watched many highly skilled Killer mains (yes, even the untouchable, purest angel of a streamer to so many, Otz) tunnel first Survivor out like it was the main objective in DBD… not just one match, but consecutively, like they were all teaching their chat a collegiate level course on the only way to play.

Anyone hard abuses the tunneling strat whenever they feel like it, and for some, it’s the means of tunneling has shifted so drastically to where the strategic times to tunnel has become all the time, every match, especially on the first Survivor directly out of the game as fast as possible to the 3v1.

EDIT: btw, not attacking Otz at all, I contrariwise, very much appreciate his content, and will say that he doesn’t hard tunnel often, or need to in order to secure a 4K. Just observed he and other very well-versed Killer players schooling their chat in hard tunneling tactics.

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 8,956
    Options

Sounds like a NA west problem.

• Spare_Them_Mori_Me
    Spare_Them_Mori_Me Member Posts: 1,157
    Options

The voice of all knowledge speaks. Well, this thread is solved.

• MaTtRoSiTy
    edited March 27
    Options

Well today has been weirdly good on NA, do they read these threads or something lol?

It just reminded me how fun this game can be when killers (and survivors) all play well but respectfully. I just had a match vs Onryo on Eyrie, which is probably not ideal for them.

But this Chad played it like a master and even refused to tunnel when I kinda forced OTR protection on the unhooker (would understand them deciding to tunnel me for that).

They still got the 4k and I left that match having had a great time and not at all caring that I got fully condemned and moried.

• Nazzzak
    Options

I usually play from between 10am and 1pm (Western Oz time). I like to joke that it's the stay at home mums all playing against each other at that time, and that's why it's so chill lol we just want to relax

• concubined
    concubined Member Posts: 140
    Options

I’m a NA player and when I play on SA with my friends that are from there the killers are genuinely toxic. They don’t tunnel or camp because it’s beneficial they actually do it to spite you. I’ve been bled out for 4 minutes multiple times, hit on hook 30 times by a legion in frenzy, or just hit on hook in general, and basement camping bubba is somehow still a thing there and he hit me on hook too and had a crazy argument in egc with my SA friends that are on PC.

• MaTtRoSiTy
    Options

I think most people that play DBD just want to chill as casuals rather than try to make the games a sweat fest

• MaTtRoSiTy
    edited March 27
    Options

Yeah I sometimes connect to Asian servers and you are not wrong there, though I don't so much get the BM as they just play in the most unfun ways imaginable. The builds are always the sweatiest and most unfun possible and they seem to really love Ultimate Weapon too.

Another issue is you get a lot connecting from China and due to their restrictions they are all on VPN and often poor quality ones at that. So when they play killer you will get hit on the other side of pallets or around corners etc... not fun.

Another thing I noticed is the rumour about the Asian region being big on Self Care is mostly true. It's funny how this region has really taken to Self Care/Botany etc for some reason whereas everywhere else nobody really runs it

• ExcelSword
    ExcelSword Member Posts: 443
    Options

OCE in general has a smaller playerbase that I feel I always see the same names frequently, and after so many years you don't come across new babies in matchmaking nearly as frequently as the rest of the world.

I take breaks from DBD for periods up to 6 months at a time, but since I have played for such a long time overall whenever I come back I get grouped against strong SWFs or high ranked killers that all my games are stressful as to try and win, makes trying the new killer or perks not as fun as I would like.

• MaTtRoSiTy
    Options

Yeah OCE is very much like that, killer is very stressful as there are a lot of very good long term players and you have to 'git gud' fast of you're going to have a rough time in general

I take long breaks too btw, my longest being just under a year but I will see a lot of the old names in the lobby with random completely clueless noobs thrown into the mix for some reason.

It's one reason I use ExitLag a lot - to get different regions with a bigger player base and not the same old names