Not participating in normal gameplay

Options
Nick
Nick Member Posts: 1,164

Has there ever anything been said by the developers about the last 2 survivors hiding, not touching any generators? I'm not trying to be funny but legit curious about their opinion. Has any idea been put forward? Or is there a reason why this situation is still in the game?

Because the 3-gen kicking, kicking, kicking, kicking meta got tackled relatively fast and the game even received a whole new mechanic for it. But when playing killer I still have matches where I'm playing hide and seek with the last 2 survivors for 30 minutes because they're both waiting for eachother to get found, to get that free hatch escape.

Surely there could be some Killer Instinct mechanic be implemented when not getting any Objective/Altruism points for a certain amount of time? Even the afk-crows have been in the game since launch, but people crouching around the edge of the map is still a thing. Even after 8 years.

I don't want to be forced to quit a game where I'm being held hostage because I wanted to play a few games of dead by daylight before work, just to be kept in the same game for up to an hour.

Comments

• MaTtRoSiTy
    MaTtRoSiTy Member Posts: 1,732
    Options

Be very hard to penalise them for this as hiding is part of normal gameplay, though I get the frustration and some people just have far too much time on their hands.

I will give up and ask the killer to hook me in 3 gen situations that are dragging out as I would rather move on to a fresh match. But I have had survivors that hide and its incredibly annoying and certainly one of the very rare occasions I will actually slug for a 4k - nobody is going to waste that much of my time and get hatch that is for sure!

• Xernoton
    Xernoton Member Posts: 5,107
    Options

I agree. It's the same issue as 3gens in reverse. I remember a game against a 4 people SWF that all used Distortion and Calm Spirit and did nothing but hide. It took me about 15 minutes to get a single hook. Eventually I lost sight of them again (yeah, yeah, skill issue, I know) and didn't find another survivor. I went afk because I did not queue up to be held hostage and ended up getting disconnected by the game. Which is particularly weird because there is no such thing for afk survivors.

They have not addressed the issue yet (probably because it's relatively rare) but something really should be done. Give the killer killer instinct on one survivor with the least hook stages after not being in chase for 2+ minutes and end it when the chase starts. That way you couldn't really use it to win the match but it would still tackle the issue while also ignoring perks.

• mizark3
    mizark3 Member Posts: 1,764
    Options

Yep this was the standard before the gen kick limit, so I don't know how to prove it now if you somehow reach 8 regression events on gens now.

The old method was to prove the Survivors spent 10 consecutive minutes not touching gens. Start a recording, walk to each gen and kick it. Then patrol for the 10 minutes for each gen, and if none of them gens are touched, you can report them for holding the game hostage IIRC, double check though. If someone tapped a gen/stops the regression, you have to restart the 10 minute timer.

This 10 minute gen tap strat (technically 9m59s, as it needs to be done before the 10mins are reached), is the Survivor equivalent of bleeding someone out while searching for the 4k. Both are scummy, but technically legal according to the game rules.

I don't recall the specific BHVR post where they stated the evidentiary requirement of 10 minutes of no gen touching, so I'm just going off of memory. They may have internally changed the rules in that regard, but I never saw the update post if there was one.

• Null_Winter
    Null_Winter Member Posts: 15
    Options

We're almost a decade in and the "failsafe" for a hostage match or a match with parties not participating is to forcibly close the server after an ungodly amount of time has passed; certain cheats can also force that to never happen, forcing the Killer player or any Survivor players to manually exit and eat whatever level of leaver penalty they're at.

All the other games in the "non-symmetrical hunter" genre have a fixed time limit as a visible mechanic, such as internal injuries killing the survivors over time in 'Texas Chainsaw Massacre' along with Grandpa eventually getting permanent map-wide reveals to force them to either escape or die.

Considering how fast an average match is at medium MMR and above, would it be too much to ask for all gens to become blocked and EGC to automatically start at the 10 or 15 minute mark regardless of other circumstances?

• TheArbiter
    TheArbiter Member Posts: 2,182
    Options

I think if after 5 minutes none of the remaining survivors in a match stay on a gen for at least 10 seconds killer instinct should kick in

• Nick
    Options

If hiding for up to ~50 minutes is normal gameplay then so was kicking generators over and over with Call of Brine + Overcharge in a 3-gen and not taking any chases

• MaTtRoSiTy
    MaTtRoSiTy Member Posts: 1,732
    Options

It was normal game play though, it sucked but holding an irritating 3 gen was never a reportable offence. Thankfully they got rid of that by limiting how much a gen can be regressed but it still creates miserably long matches

• burt0r
    burt0r Member Posts: 4,043
    Options

And something got done about the 3 gen thing. So how about something gets done about the case complained about in this thread?

• Neaxolotl
    Neaxolotl Member Posts: 401
    Options

excessive locker hiding is bannable anyways, I don't understand why they don't utilize crows more to force survivors for progressing the game

• Nick
    Options

But developers called it "not participating in normal gameplay" in one of their patchnotes. I'd say they get to decide what's normal gameplay or not, right?

• SimpleSage
    SimpleSage Member Posts: 88
    Options

I had this happen during my Freddy Adept 2 days ago. I didn't realize I had 2 survivors not participating in the match because I still managed to 8 hook before sacrificing anyone, but as soon as the 2 survivors that were trying to progress the game were gone, the entire map went silent. The match ended up being 45 - 50 min because all they would do is wake themselves up and then go hide in a corner again. The survivors absolutely could have won that match had all 4 actually been doing objectives because I spent the first 15min figuring out how to teleport and use his power because I just dove in head first without ever playing him before. I eventually found the last 2 survivors because they messed up and were hiding together and I caught some barely rendered crows flying away in the distance (Huntress Main Eyeballs OP Nerf Pig).

I would absolutely be down for something to assist in these situations. Something like a 10min timer in which survivors have to spend like 30-45s doing a mix of being in chase or doing conspicuous actions like repairing a gen or healing a teammate or the Killer gets killer instinct for 3s on that survivor. Most survivors/ matches would never run into this but those deliberately going out of the way to not contribute would get caught eventually.