We are investigating an issue in the game that causes strobing/flashing lights, and are focused on fixing it as soon as possible. Some players may be impacted by this issue and experience discomfort from it, so we recommend taking proper precautions.

And until we fix this issue, we recommend that players with photosensitivity, or who have an epileptic condition or have had seizures of any kind consult their physician before playing.

This explains why some survivors throw pallets for no reason

Options
Boons123
Boons123 Member Posts: 695

Comments

• JPLongstreet
    JPLongstreet Member Posts: 5,237
    Options

With my controller I long ago had to separate some of the button bindings to mitigate not throwing pallets when near vaults and lockers, but many players do not do this, or don't know they even can.

• Boons123
    Options

The point is that the tutorial teaches new players that they should throw the pallets as soon as they see the killer

• Ryuhi
    Ryuhi Member Posts: 3,690
    Options

They're not wrong with the controller doublemap statement though. I remember it becoming a huge problem after pinhead came out, constantly throwing down pallets or slow vaulting while trying to remove chains.

• AbsolutGrndZer0
    AbsolutGrndZer0 Member Posts: 1,204
    Options

That's a good point. Does it even show how to stun the killer with a pallet at all? Been forever since I did the new tutorials.

• pseudechis
    pseudechis Member Posts: 3,846
    Options

The tutorial simply shows how pallets work, how best to use them and when is a learned skill.

• Xernoton
    Xernoton Member Posts: 5,053
    Options

If the tutorial doesn't tell you how the game fundamentally works, then it's a bad tutorial and in this case, this is not how the game works. Instead of telling new players to drop pallets whenever the killer is around them, how about we teach them to actually look out for them in chase and stun the killer?

• n000b51
    n000b51 Member Posts: 291
    Options

"how about we teach them to actually look out for them in chase and stun the killer?"
    With the recent changes about the behaviour of bots, this should be very easy to do I guess…

• pseudechis
    Options

In the most mechanical sense it is how the game works. Press this button to drop the pallet.

That's what the tutorial shows you, mechanically how to drop a pallet.

Maybe more tips on when best to use it could be included but that's not really the tutorials job.

For example

• It tells you how to unhook someone but doesn't advise on how long to wait before attempting a rescue.
    • It tells you what button to press to swing and lunge but doesn't tell you how to time lunges to maximize hit chance or how to move while swinging in order to catch people who 360.
    • I tells you what killer heartbeat is but not when is it best to flee when you hear it.

Do you see the point. The tutorial demonstrates the mechanics of the game, after completing the tutorial you should be able to mechanically play the game. Knowing how to activate each mechanic and what it does… how best to utilize those mechanics is a learned skill through experience of gameplay.

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 8,958
    Options

The original tutorial videos said to camp survivors after hooking them.

It's improved some.

• Xernoton
    Options

A good tutorial doesn't only explain what the buttons do. Anyone can learn that by opening up the control settings. The tutorial's job is to explain how the game is played. And dropping a pallet when the killer is 10 metres away sure isn't it. That's like if the killer tutorial had a part in which you'd completely ignore a trapped survivor as the Trapper and go for someone else on the opposite side of the map.

Even the unhook example you brought up is done correctly. The killer leaves and now the Meg unhooks you. She doesn't run in their while the killer is still right next to the hook.

The other 2 points are always evaluated on a case by case basis. But it's never the right move to drop a pallet when the killer is so far away from you and you'd get a guaranteed stun just by waiting for a few seconds.

• Valuetown
    Valuetown Member Posts: 186
    Options

The problem with a tutorial explaining everything is 1) depending on changes to the game, it will require updating, and 2) most people don't like long tutorials. Sure the devs can implement a 2 hour long tutorial, explain every situation and what to do, but that is ignoring how every trial and every looping situation can be modified by what killer you're against, what perks are being run, etc. It would just be too much.

I'm not saying the devs do a fantastic job with this currently, but it's a fool's errand to attempt such a thorough tutorial that encompasses everything in an ever changing and expanding multiplayer pvp game.

This is one of the things that the community does infinitely better than the devs ever could. Want to know how flashbang works? Watch a YouTube video. Want to learn how to play singularity? Watch a YouTube video. Anyone can search anything they'd like and have multiple tutorials supplied to them. The only issue is that a player has to both know they are lacking skill in a specific area and care enough to look up how to improve.

• Xernoton
    Options

The core gameplay loop hasn't changed in about 6 years and I doubt it will any time soon. Even if it did, then it would be the dev's job to update the tutorial. You know, the way they did it with the AFC for survivors.

A tutorial should teach players about the most fundamental aspects of the game. Dropping pallets when the killer is nowhere near you isn't such a thing. They could easily add a short sequence in which you see Meg looping the Trapper around small loop for a few seconds before dropping the pallet on his head. That is not too much of an effort for an experienced team but it would definitely demonstrate a core gameplay element. It also wouldn't make the tutorial much longer.

A tutorial being long doesn't mean it does a good job. Neither does a tutorial being short. That depends on how much and how well it actually teaches to new players. In pretty much every game I have played, they had a tutorial section that included a 30 seconds sequence (mostly less) that showed core gameplay elements step by step. I mean, even in Pokemon you always have some random guy teaching you how to catch them. It takes about 10 seconds and though it's annoying for people that already know (in which case in DBD people would simply skip the tutorial), it does a fantastic job introducing players to that mechanic.

I get that they can't teach people everything in a short tutorial (there are way too many mechanics for that) but at least it shouldn't teach them mistakes, which dropping a pallet when the killer is 10 metres away definitely qualifies as. The same could be said for going into a locker right next to the hook (although, the game demonstrates Meg getting found, so I guess we can let that slide).

The problem with leaving this to the community is, that someone that just tried the game for the first time will likely not engage with the community yet. After all, they haven't even decided, if they like the game yet. Which is why it's so important that the tutorial introduces the most basic gameplay because otherwise, they'll have to make that decision without actually understanding the game, which means they'll waste a lot of time if they decide later on, that it's not their kind of game.

• Valuetown
    Valuetown Member Posts: 186
    Options

Your pokemon catching analogy is almost identical to how much dbd's tutorial provides the player. In most games, they tell you "weaken the pokemon first." How much? Until the bar turns yellow? Red? "Throw a pokeball." Can you only throw one? In most of the tutorials, the pokemon is caught on the first try. They don't bother showing how status effects affect the catch rate, they don't mention how the different pokeballs have different catch multipliers, nor do they even mention that pokemon have unique catch rates. Most of that is learned over the course of trial and error in the game, reading what the items do in game, interacting with other players, or by looking up video guides.

Showing a Meg bot dropping a pallet on a Trapper bot is a good idea, I'd say that would be a valuable addition, but I'm not sure if new players would be able to understand to loop, then throw a pallet. That would be the first time a player sees this interaction, and hearing trapper get stunned and grunt would be mildly amusing and the "reward" for throwing the pallet. I fear that this might just incentivize players to camp pallets so that they can get the "reward" of a pallet stun. There needs to be a bigger explanation that pallets are limited and create dead zones once thrown, and that looping a tile correctly is your best friend.

I will say that 99 times out of 100, prethrowing is not the correct play, but there are corner cases where it is correct. I can think of some examples on lery's and rpd that come to mind against high mobility killers or even just down long hallways when you're injured and on death hook.

I wouldn't necessarily say watching a youtube video that someone has made constitutes as "interacting with the community." Commenting on the video? Yes. Asking a question on a forum? Yes. But watching a tutorial that is made, by design, for beginner players just sounds like something anyone playing a modern game like dbd would most certainly do since "watch a youtube tutorial" is almost a go-to for anything in today's age.

• Xernoton
    Options

They show you a short demonstration in which the wild pokemon is usually brought down to red (I think there was 1 generation that differed but I'm not sure). The tutorial only serves the purpose of introducing the core gameplay, which includes looping, not dropping a pallet when the killer is 10 metres away. More detailed explanations (like faking pallets / increasing the odds to catch a pokemon) are not necessary to start playing the game.

If the example of Meg looping the Trapper is not self-explanatory, then a short explanation like: "Meg has still a little bit of distance but will likely not make it very far before getting hit. So she proceeds to waste as much of the killer's time as possible by running around a "loop" before dropping the pallet. This allows her to extend the chase while saving resources." It's a simple explanation, that a beginner should understand too. Although, they might want to find a better way to phrase this as it's literally just the firs thing I came up with.

• 09SHARKBOSS
    09SHARKBOSS Member Posts: 1,143
    Options
  • pseudechis
    Options

This is my point its not that there couldn't be more to the advice given by the tutorial its just that the level of advice you propose is beyond what the tutorial is really for.

The tutorial is so you can pick up the game and play it. That's its function, its a technical manual. Its not a boot camp to train you to be the a better player.

They have load screen comments with little pieces of advice but integrating that into the tutorial is generally more than the tutorial needs to do.

So yes the tutorial may have you use the drop pallet command while the killer is further away, but its only job is to show you HOW to drop the pallet. WHEN to drop the pallet most effectively will change depending on what killer, what perks, the loop. That aspect inevitably has to be learned through experience.

Is it a thorough enough tutorial? that's up for debate, but remember a tutorial is not there to replace your learning experience, its merely to get you started and that's what it does.

• Boons123
    Options

The result is my team throwing pallets at me and the killer is right behind me

• pseudechis
    Options
  • Boons123
    Options

The in-game tutorial teaches new players to throw pallets when they see the killer (even though the killer is carrying Meg and is 10 meters away from Dwight).

So in the game they throw the pallets even though there is another survivor behind them just because they saw the killer

• pseudechis
    Options

All the tutorial does is show the prompt the drop the pallet. Perhaps it shows it too soon and a prompt to drop the pallet and get the save would be better.

I'm afraid its a stretch to say it trains people to basically sandbag you with a pallet.