Is this game balanced around solo players or SWF?

Options
Vindictus
Vindictus Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 12

I am asking as I bought this game by myself and I was interested in it because when I bought it, it was advertised as a game where there is no communication between players, so it was very shocking to find out you can make premade parties.
People state this game isn't playable unless you are playing in a premade party.
I didn't see that it was a feature until playing over 100 hours, I assumed it was only for custom games.
I am at the point of the game where now it's pretty much impossible to escape, and it seems like it's impossible to counter most killers and perks without communicating. But winning as killer is way way too easy which for me isn't normal if this is really a solo game.

I want to know if it's balanced around SWF so I can permanently quit the game if that is the case. I now see everyone say don't play the game unless you are playing with other people. If the developers are basing their balances only on SWF, then this game should be advertised as a party game and playing solo is optional but not recommended. I liked the game at the beginning, but the matches are unbearable now. I feel like I wasted all my money because I've reached the point where now matches are not playable unless you use comms. Hope devs see this and decide what type of game they want it to be and to make it clear, so people dont fall into the trap.

Comments

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 12,919
    edited April 18
    Options

It’s balanced around solos playing at a lower skill bracket so you’re fine. The game isn’t balanced around playing with friends on coms even though you can.

• 09SHARKBOSS
    09SHARKBOSS Member Posts: 1,153
    Options

welcome to the game new friend/foe

you should probobly get some friends to play with

ShArKb0sSdbd←xbox gamertag

• Xernoton
    Xernoton Member Posts: 5,100
    Options

Welcome to the fog.

The balance is tilted in the killer's favor. Going from there, the game is balanced around average solo survivors for the most part. There are some killers that are harder to play against, which makes it harder for less experienced survivors to win against them.

100 hours is pretty much nothing in DBD. It's not even enough to have an abstract idea of what all the killers do, so it's not surprising you're struggling a lot. As a killer, you're likely matched with pretty inexperienced survivors too. Try to play both sides and watch how others play. This can teach you a lot about a killer's strengths and weaknesses.

• Rulebreaker
    Rulebreaker Member Posts: 1,437
    edited April 18
    Options

Welcome to hell, todays special is salty spicy chicken.

Personal say is that they take both SWF and solo into consideration. One major reason people consider solo unplayable is because you get random teammates who will toss at the slightest provocation. Your perfectly capable of having good matches as solo as long as everyone "plays" and in a non toxic way. All that said having friends does make it more bearable as kyfs (custom matches) are LEAGUES more fun than public trials.

• alpha5
    alpha5 Member Posts: 144
    Options

There are a lot of little things that break new survivors and the foundation of this game is pretty much a lot of BS for either side which is why in this community you are still considered a baby with 1k hours. SWF helps mitigate a lot of that which is why it is recommended so often. Balance is all over the place with 35 killers, 500 perks and 43 maps with RNG on top though arguably it is the best it has been yet. What is most problematic is this game is fast-paced to the point of being almost mathematical: hug walls, run tiles a certain way, know checkspots, and do gens. Look up guides on how to loop. If you still like the game after that be aware that matchmaking can still be what other games would consider elo hell.

• Ilikechips
    Ilikechips Member Posts: 86
    Options

The statistics from a couple of months say you should survive around 38% of the time as a solo. That was before the last bunch of killer buffs though. Expect it to be lower than that now.

Take from that what you will.

• BlightedDolphin
    BlightedDolphin Member Posts: 1,612
    Options

Both are taken into consideration, but recently a lot of the changes to survivors have been for the solo player base.

The problem isn’t so much which side it is balanced towards and just that the game is VERY difficult for new players to get into. There is so many perks and killers to learn about while you don’t have access to most of them for a long time. A lot of the perks that act as a band-aid fix for issues are locked away (some even behind a pay wall), and if you plan on playing both sides it will take a long time to get all the perks and characters you won’t.

Add in that the matchmaking is kinda bad and you could be paired up with someone who already has access to all of that or knows how to play the game decently and you don’t really have a chance.

My best advice to you would be to run Kindred and Deja Vu. These are both very good perks for solo players and can help you learn the game a bit quicker while making solo queue more bearable. Both of them are also available in the blood web for free without needing to purchase any other survivor so you don’t need to worry about spending any of your shards just yet! Don’t feel bad though if you are having trouble, it’s not a very beginner friendly game.

• Nazzzak
    Nazzzak Member Posts: 4,432
    Options

Don't think there's a definitive answer to that, especially as the last lot of escape rate stats show swf are enjoying only slightly better successes in the largest bracket of players. Ultimately though, if you're solo and play solely to escape, then you're likely to be disappointed more often than not. Best time to play is during events imo. Loss after loss is easier to cope with when you're getting something in return, like bonus bp or special rewards.

• hermitkermit
    hermitkermit Member Posts: 129
    Options

It depends on what you want out of the game. If you really like to "win" killers are set up for a higher win rate, as they want killers in the power role, so you could give that a try. Even the strongest killer in the entire game is free from day 1 so you have some fun options. Keep in mind the higher you go the more difficult it will get against good teams, but the odds are still in your favor.

If you're looking for a challenge but a little less stressful SWF is a good idea, as things are always more fun with friends even if you're losing, which your chances of winning with a SWF vs Solo is only 3% more so if your friends rage at losing then probably not a good idea.

And solo q is basically the wild west of the game, at least right now. Yes, it is brutal and chaotic and crazy but that can be really rewarding and fun. If you think about it like other games imo solo is like "Hard Mode", so you'll lose alot. But it's because you lose so much that when you win it feels that much better.

Hope to see you in the fog some day! <3

• UndeddJester
    UndeddJester Member Posts: 2,064
    Options

Welcome friend!

As someone who starting playing last year, if you're playing survivor primarily, you can absolutely manage solo Q, but it's a good idea to spend some time learning what the killers do, either by watching content creators or by playing them yourself. If something seems overpowered, more often that not its a lack of knowledge on your part, rather than it being actually overpowered.

The learning curve is quite high with such a variety of killers and maps to learn, as well as so many choices for perks, items and addons. You also need to spend some.time planning which charactersvyo prestige to ensure you have a good build you can learn the game with.

SoloQ is tougher to win, but as long as you don't take the game too seriously, you can have a lot of fun IMO.

I miss how nerve wracking this game was in my first 300 hours... 😏

• Katzengott
    Katzengott Member Posts: 1,178
    edited April 19
    Options

Hello there! At this point i would say even BHVR doesn't know anymore. But i think the most balanced the game can get is when both sides play casual. Imo the difference between solo and SWFs isn't that big at the low/mid level.

• ChrissyG88
    ChrissyG88 Member Posts: 21
    Options

When you play killer as a beginner, you only need to spend some time learning one killer's power and then eventually start go into a game knowing exactly how you play, because there is no difference in the survivors, except the perks. Within 50 hours, you will be close to an expert level killer if you stick to one killer.

As a new survivor, you have to learn the powers of all 35 killers as well as the perks, and you won't be able to learn any of them consistently, because it's a different killer every time. You will be an expert level survivor after about 2000 hours.

• SkeletalElite
    SkeletalElite Member Posts: 2,660
    Options

somewhere in the middle that makes no one happy

• Blueberry
    edited April 19
    Options

After over 10k+ hours in the game playing both sides, I trust my judgement here. That also is not what the data shows.

At low mmr the game is killer sided.

Mid/average MMR it's pretty balanced.

High MMR it's very survivor sided.

• JPLongstreet
    JPLongstreet Member Posts: 5,265
    Options

As far as I can tell the game is balanced around both sides not playing too optimally, with chaos all over the place.

• CodeDB
    CodeDB Member Posts: 261
    Options

No, your data. I assume they're referencing the kill statistics recently released which we know is contentious at best.

Do you have data to back up your breakdown though?

• Blueberry
    edited April 19
    Options

Do I have to have recorded the data on a spread sheet for my thousands and thousands of hours to be valid? I know the results of my time whether it's written down or not.

I stream regularly with all the vids recorded on my page if you'd like to see that.

• CodeDB
    CodeDB Member Posts: 261
    Options

You don't have to, I was just seeing if you had actual data because I find those breakdowns interesting.

You're perfectly fine to rely on your anecdotal experience, I was just under the impression it was actual data by how you presented it. My bad!

• Blueberry
    edited April 19
    Options

I would say it's actual data. To be defined as data by definition it simply needs to be recorded, which it is in my videos. I agree a spreadsheet would be more digestible though. As far as written down data goes I'm currently mainly only recording my Onryo data. Wins, Losses, Ties ect. So if you'd like that data I can provide it, but not exactly the conversation on this page. Also some preliminary data on Survivor, Dredge and Plague. By Preliminary I mean low sample size so far since recording. I generally want the numbers substantially higher to be used for conclusions.

• Rudjohns
    Rudjohns Member Posts: 1,621
    Options

SWF by far

• crogers271
    crogers271 Member Posts: 1,333
    Options

I've played soloq for years and loved the experience.

The game is balanced around killers winning the majority of the time. It's a harsh reality, but it is what it is. Even if you were playing with friends you might see a surge of victories, but that would even out over time.

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 15,244
    Options

They dont have Data. There was never Data published with those information.

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 8,969
    Options

Its balanced around whoever screams the loudest the longest.

• Reinami
    Reinami Member Posts: 4,922
    edited April 19
    Options

Generally when you start playing, the game is going to heavily favor the killer when you don't know what you are doing. When you start to learn more, it evens out a bit, until at the highest level of play it favors survivor (with the exception of a nurse).

• I_Cant_Loop
    I_Cant_Loop Member Posts: 201
    Options

The game is balanced around solo q. Average escape rate is about 40%, which is what the devs have said is their target escape rate. Killer should be slightly favored, which kind of makes sense for a horror game. The problem is that balancing around solo q means that good SWF teams have an unfair advantage that breaks this balance, which is why good SWF teams have a far higher escape rate than the 40% target.

• tjt85
    tjt85 Member Posts: 589
    edited April 19
    Options

DBD is not really "balanced" by design. It's intended to be more Killer sided overall, with incomplete information made available to both sides. I think BHVR tend to approach balance with the aim to reduce common player frustrations, but SWFs and Killers running the best stuff / playing optimally can really throw all that effort out of the window.

My advice is to set your own goals when playing Survivor. Play for the BP, tome challenges or try to come up with fun builds and attempt to get some value from them. I've found I'm happiest playing when I'm able to make my own fun in this game.

If you want to escape more often but don't want to join a SWF, then you'll have to develop a more selfish and evasive play style and aim for hatch escapes. If you want to join a SWF without actually joining a SWF, play Survivor when the Killer BP bonus is up, as this tends to be the time when lots of SWFs are likely to be playing. You'll still be able to take advantage of their better team communication, even if you're not in on it (and don't forget to bring Kindred!).

Likewise, if you want more of a challenge playing Killer, play at times when the more casual players have likely logged off for the night (for me that's typically past 10 PM at night). I'm lucky if I can get a 1K playing late at night.

• Choaron
    Choaron Member Posts: 108
    Options

Most SWFs don't play much differently than most solos so the correct answer should be obvious.

• sinkra
    sinkra Member Posts: 284
    Options

Yes it's balanced around high MMR SWF, that's why they're the only ones with close to 50% escape rate.