Is the forced unhook still in play?

Options
TheArbiter
TheArbiter Member Posts: 2,182

Just read the update and didn't see it mentioned, should I assume that this is a thing moving forward to live?

Comments

• Tatariu
    Tatariu Member Posts: 2,896
    Options

unfortunately :/

• CrackedShevaMain
    CrackedShevaMain Member Posts: 175
    Options

That is really stupid. They’ve now removed the ability to strategize unhooks and made hook camping super easy for killers now (obviously proxy camping can easily still happen) all for a few idiots who grief unhooks. The vast majority of the playerbase didn’t do that stuff and now everyone has to suffer for it in regards to making skillful and smart unhooking decisions.

I now see what so many people are saying about them constantly removing skill-based interactions from this game.

• Nazzzak
    Nazzzak Member Posts: 4,441
    Options

Looks like unfortunately. They've overblown something that happens so rarely and isn't going to affect trolls much anyway because they'll just find some other way to mess with their team mates. They're not suddenly going to behave.

• UndeddJester
    UndeddJester Member Posts: 2,070
    edited April 18
    Options

Sigh… yeah this one was a shame. I'm usually more lenient on the game developers sides, but this one was bad change. It hurts genuine gameplay for the sake of a very small nubmer of bad actors…

Even the label of "bad actors" is questionable.

I'm not advocating for griefing, but what's really frustrating is this "grief" was not prevelant at all, and the only times I've ever even seen it was in response to a player trying to SoH and get out of the game. If you unhook them they just run straight to killer and try to kill themselves again… so what can we do with regards to these selfish players spoiling the game?

While it shouldn't be encouraged, I can understand why people did it, because this was literally the only mechanism survivors had to try and force a player to either DC and give us a bot, or stop screwing around and actually play, cause the other survivors have the ability to make it clear they won't be allowed to SoH, and will be forced to sit in the game as long as possible.

This removal is basically a buff to facilitate SoH…. which BHVR have said they have no ideas for dealing with SoH players…. so since you can't reasonably solve the issue, why not leave the rest of us with a policing tool to help prevent it ourselves?

Edit: Correcttion. Peantis confirmed this is being removed too!

Nice! 😁

Post edited by UndeddJester on
  • NekoGamerX
    NekoGamerX Member Posts: 5,128
    Options

dude I try get off the hook all the time get to 2nd stage but if I see someone coming I try hold on( hitting the skill checks) and really try not to get hooked again but sometime after holding on they start doing that repeating the unhook action on me not going to dc to plz anyone especially bratty nerds.

one time I try unhook myself got to 2nd stage a survivor started repeating the unhook action so I started recording they kept doing it till the killer down the survivor he was chasing then down the survivor doing unhook action,lets say I feel the one griefing me messed up the game more the me trying unhook myself.

anyways I reported them and I ingame report they took care of it

I hate to do that but survivors need to stop taking action on players doing thing they don't like….

they not video game cops they need to stop.

• UndeddJester
    edited April 18
    Options

Not sure if sarcasm… I think it's sarcasm… in which case… v funny 🤣😅

• NekoGamerX
    Options

nope it happened.

what sounds sarcasm? that it happen or me trying you people need to stop taking matter in they own hands when a player does something they don't like or think is a against the rules which trying unhook are self's is not against the rules.

I will keep recording/reporting ever time this happens so either let me go report me for letting go (SoH is not reportable) or unhook me so I can try to do some gens so others can get out but don't throw the game to teach me a lesson becuasse that just get you recorded/reported by me I'm sure not the only one who does this.

• Beatricks
    Beatricks Member Posts: 857
    Options

Oh how delightful!

BHVR accidentally manages to pull off a W, but everyone is in an uproar that now they can't troll other people and it gets reverted. I love this community so much.

• CrackedShevaMain
    Options

Here’s the thing. While I’m NOT advocating for SoH at all as it’s screwed me many many times, who are you/other survs to decide that it’s your job or right to “police” other survivors in the match? I think that’s a huge indicator of egotistical thinking, control issues and power tripping to decide “Nope you’re not leaving this match unless you do it MY way or I allow you to, otherwise I’m going to break the rules and grief you.”

1. Griefing is against the rules full stop.
    2. You will never ever force someone to stay in a match that they’ve decided they no longer want to be in. You don’t have that control or power to “allow” (your words) or disallow anyone to do anything and that’s just the nature of video games. If they want out/no longer want to play they won’t and you’re not going to force them to otherwise. Most people will just tab out and go do something else until it’s over despite your griefing.
    3. Whats funny is the time you’re talking about spending griefing/“punishing” someone on hook is time you could be spending on gens or helping your other teammates. This is exactly why when I see someone trying to SoH, I will not go for the save. They’ve shown me that they’re not going to be a helpful or valuable team member so my time is better spent finishing that gen, cleansing that hex totem, healing that other teammate. So while you’re claiming that the SoH teammate is the one ruining the match for everyone, you’re also failing to contribute to the match in any meaningful way by wasting your time griefing another player out of spite, meaning you are being just as useless and not helpful as the teammate trying to get out of the match. 😆

While I’m glad this change was reverted as it did punish normal gameplay, a tool for griefing should not stay in a match simply for the purpose of helping teammates “police” other teammates by griefing them in hook. Thats just silly and all that’s gonna do is get the “police officer” banned for breaking game rules. My advice to people who think this way: Get over yourselves and go contribute to the match yourself.

• NekoGamerX
    Options
  • CrackedShevaMain
    Options

This wasn’t a W. While griefing other teammates needs to be addressed, this change would have actually nerf normal gameplay around hook and hugely buff hook camping for killers.

The unhook spam griefing doesn’t happen anywhere near enough to justify that kind of trade off. I’m hoping they can come up with a better way to deal with it.

Some have suggested putting a limit on unhook cancelling to like 6 tries so that people can still use it to mind game and strategize unhooking their teammates, but also stopping the griefing with it. I think that would be a good idea for them to try out.

• UndeddJester
    edited April 18
    Options

I wouldn't call it egotistical thinking at all.

Egotistical - excessively conceited or absorbed in oneself; self-centred.

As you say yourself, anyone doing it is actively wasting their own time, and costing themselves the game. I do understand the argument you are making, and you are right, you are griefing someone, which is why I don't tell people they should do it, or advocate for doing it.

However my argument is there is no punishment for SoH. BHVR have said themselves they can't stop it, as there is no rule they can impose to prevent it. So this leaves everyone in limbo,there is no means of preventing it. As such the only reason people grief a player like this, is not to benefit themselves, it's actually taking an L on themselves in order to exert some kind of punishment on a player who is actively and selfishly ruining the game for everyone else, with the intent of discouraging SoH for the greater community as a whole.

A player who SoH is not reportable by the rules, even though the rules specifically state that "going AFK, helping the killer, not participating in normal gameplay" is a reportable offence. Any logical interpretation of those rules indicates SoH is against the rules, but its not enforcable, so people get away with with it... its kinda silly, but that's where it is. As such there is a line of thinking where being the one to ensure a punishment on a SoH player is actually quite noble.

It's a simple case of something that should be against the law, isn't against the law, and therefore a community enforces it themselves.

Fact is if you want to get out of the game, leave. Take your DC penalty. You ruined the game for everyone else, the least you can do give the team a bot to play without you. In fact the least you should do is try and waste as much of the killers time before you die, but if you are gonna be a baby, at least leave a bot.

• UndeddJester
    edited April 18
    Options

The reason I assumed you were being sarcastic is the obvious response to "I try to get off hook all the time" is:

Why do you do this? Are you trying to kobe? Or are you trying to Suicide on Hook?

If you are trying to kobe, are you running Slippery Meat, Up the Ante and Vigo's Jar of Salty Lips? If not, the reason you are getting griefed is because you are throwing the game each time and looking like you're trying to execute yourself and screwing over the rest of the team.

As I've said before, I don't support people griefing other people... but I also am not going to defend someone who is antagonising people into doing it.

• CrackedShevaMain
    Options

Its not noble at all. It’s a video game. Get over it. 😆 You’re not saving a baby from a burning building. Youre griefing a player who isn’t playing the way you believe they should. Again, this is why I said ego. This idea that you’re performing some heroic act for the good of the community when really you’re just adding to its toxicity is delusional.

Comparing people letting themselves out of a match they don’t wanna play to people breaking the (not) law is beyond laughable. Not to mention, people “enforcing” things that aren’t against the law “but should be” (that’s also up for debate) is a form of vigilantism which itself is against the law, and the person doing that is subject to arrest and criminal proceedings.

So once again, you wanna “take the law into your own hands” in DBD land go ahead but you’re the one breaking the rules and you’ll be the one who gets suspended or banned for it. Doesn’t matter what you think the rules should be on SoH, the reality of it is that it’s not punishable but griefing on hook IS. You wanna die on that hill tho go ahead.

• UndeddJester
    edited April 18
    Options

Not sure why youre going so hard my guy... I never said I did it, or even supported people doing it, I simply said I understand the perspective of people who do...

And to be honest... I personally consider the Suicide on Hook player the worse of the two, as I consider being willing to ruin the game for everyone else because they can't be bothered, despite them having agreed to play a game that requires their participation to function, inexcusabley selfish and inconsiderate.

So as I've said before, I don't advocate for either player... but of the 2, I look far more favourably of hook griefing being in the game if it means that SoH players are paying the price, the same way I'd have more respect from someone who bullies a bully. It's wrong what they're doing, but in the same breathe the bully brought it upon themselves, so I can't say I have much sympathy.

But sure, if you think it bolsters your argument, keep accusing me of things I havent said or done.

• CrackedShevaMain
    Options

You can feel how you feel about it but coming down for the side that’s actually breaking the rules as opposed to the one who isn’t is a weird hill to die on.

Especially since the one griefing is also ruining the game by taking yourself away from helping the other two teammates just to take your anger out on someone else behind a screen who isn’t playing the way you want.

• UndeddJester
    edited April 19
    Options

shrug

I'm not really coming down on a side, you keep acting like I'm saying people should grief, when I'm not. I have simply stated my own morals on which one I consider worse, and I choose the one that griefs the most players as a byproduct of being selfish, over the one that griefs a single player, almost always in response to said provocation. Just because unhook griefing is enforced and SoH isn't, doesn't mean I have to agree that SoH is part of the game and therefore a morally superior action for a player to take.

Suicide on Hook is against rules as written, but it can't be enforced and this is the crux of the problem. BHVR have said they have tried to think of ways to prevent it, but there is no way they can realistically enforce it due to the inability to be 100% certain of intent in a game review context. Trying to claim that Suicide on Hook is somehow more acceptable just because it isn't a rule that can be enforced and thus is technically "legal" is equally as weird a hill to die on.

From what you've said before, we both agree that the unhook lock was a bad feature that ruined genuine gameplay. My point is why even try to fix this issue and enforce the rules on that action in the first place, when it is almost always done in response to the rule you can't enforce?

I would assert that the problem isn't even one that needs to be fixed, because anyone trying to SoH doesn't get to complain about being griefed, while in the process of griefing everyone else on their team. It's like a hacker hacking another hacker... why would I condemn them for doing it? You're going to have to come up with a much better argument than "it's against the rules" to justify SoH players as being someone that needs to be protected from griefing.

• NekoGamerX
    Options

reason I try to kobe is because I can not going to play in a way other want me to play if I get to 2nd stage oh well .reason I try if other just going to sit on gens as I sit on hook that what I'm going to do.

I don't play this game for others also btw this not an esport game no matter how many want it to be it a horror themed party game,it why dev try make it easier for solo not SWF and Killers because it a 4 vs 1 game tho how other have said feels more like a 1v1v1v1v1 game how survivors play take the game so seriously.

in the end of the day we all need to remember this is game video game to play be silly if we want why events are so fun.

well some events not all.

• NekoGamerX
    Options

@UndeddJester or anyone wondering

there been times I have try to kobe got to 2nd stage no one try grief me I still do gens,totems heal/save people from hook safely still got out sometimes and yes sometime because I'm on death hook I don't always make it out that ok but at least if I get off the hook with out being grief-ed I do my part and two or three get out sometime not me that's ok because I don't care I'm having fun and I don't play how others want me to play.

in the end it's a video game people need to stop taking it seriously.

also I don't always try to kobe only sometimes depends whats going on in game at the time maybe 1 out of 8 games.

so like @CrackedShevaMain said no one got the right to “police” other survivors not just for trying to kobe/SoH but like how a survivor plays,what perks they use whatever survivors/killers don't have any right to tell someone how they should or should not play

• NekoGamerX
    Options

yea you see my video? person griefing me the other on hook and other first hook but kept griefing till she got downed.

so what I learn from this?

• NekoGamerX
    Options

hope you know that I got a in game griefing report saying they took care of it(what they do I don't know don't care) other the player that grief me and I never been banned.

so in other word he got in trouble not me.

• UndeddJester
    edited April 20
    Options

Trying to kobe is different to SoH, and is the reason why players trying to SoH cannot be punished by BHVR for doing it, even though it is against the rules as written.

If you're trying to kobe, I have no immediate issue with it, its part of the game and is sensible sometimes in pursuit of winning the game... however I am not in your games so I can't read the room, I can only go off what you tell and show me. From the sounds of it you try to kobe often, and if you're being griefed regularly it is likely because you attempt kobes in not in very good scenarios that make sense.

I'm not defending players who do grief you, but I'm sure you understand that your actions affect everyone else in game. I can not possibly know, but if you regularly attempt kobes in your games you will tend to look like a player trying to SoH, and even if you aren't, you are making a scenario where your team has to carry you due to you unnecessarily attempting kobes until you go to second stage. If all of this is true, then this is why you're getting griefed, because you are actively hindering other people, and drastically decreasing their chances of survival. Just to remind you "Helping the Killer" is against the rules.

So I'm not psychic, I can't know how your games go for to result in you being griefed... but from how you've described it thus far, it sounds like you have a tendency to betray your team and throw them into a much more difficult game for the sake of your own enjoyment.... so I can't exactly say you're an innocent being griefed for no reason.

• Katzengott
    Katzengott Member Posts: 1,178
    edited April 20
    Options

Killing yourself on hook is even worse than DCing in most scenarios, as those kills count for stats (bad data) and no bots will help.

Playing survivor is a TEAM effort! If you fu** up your team on purpose, the other 4 players have all the rights to be mad about it.

I wonder if these are the same ppl who want DC penalties to go. Sounds very healthy for solo Q. NOT!

• NekoGamerX
    Options

remember they got in trouble not me.

also I hate when people on hook have to sit do nothing as other survivors are doing gens doing thing(getting points) as it is getting nothing.

also I hate hindering other people because I try kobe sometimes but hindering others mean I'm just another body the killer can tunnel and camp if the survivors come for me at all I got to 2nd stage by just sitting there too you know as the other 3 are all on gens.

here a match I had I stay on hook didn't try to kobe ( first hook) and got to 2nd stage but 3 to 4 gens got done killer was not camping soon as someone came for me 1 gen remained so yes the killer tunneled me but with there being 1 gen I could blame them I blame the survivors there all got out but not me.

so I stay on hook that whole time just to be tunneled out going to have crappy score/points and depip(glad there going away).

now you think that was fun for me? or fair? I got nothing for being on that hook that whole time I was just another body to waste the killers time so they could get out I got nothing.

so why should I care if I kobe or as I do sometime SoH because it not against the rules and if they not coming to get me f them.

but in the end this just a video game,video game so random and rig and full of bugs no one should take this game seriously.