Should peer to peer remain as an alternative after Dedicated Servers launch?

Options

I know this sounds stupid as hell, but let me explain. In the far future, years from now when Dead by Daylight finally shuts down it's servers cause of a sequel or the developers can no longer keep the servers up due to financial problems and what not. It'd be nice if we could have peer to peer servers remain as an alternative so we can still play Dead by Daylight even when the central servers shut down. I know this is something that should only be discussed when the servers would be shutting down. But it's better to say this early rather than later, so the devs can implement this option earlier in case they don't have enough time or resources to reimplement peer to peer when the servers would be shutting down, y'know.

Comments

• Akuma
    Akuma Member Posts: 407
    Options

Yea im sure the devs like the idea of making everything twice along

• Master
    Master Member Posts: 10,200
    Options

@Dave_Microwave said:
    I know this sounds stupid as hell, but let me explain. In the far future, years from now when Dead by Daylight finally shuts down it's servers cause of a sequel or the developers can no longer keep the servers up due to financial problems and what not. It'd be nice if we could have peer to peer servers remain as an alternative so we can still play Dead by Daylight even when the central servers shut down. I know this is something that should only be discussed when the servers would be shutting down. But it's better to say this early rather than later, so the devs can implement this option earlier in case they don't have enough time or resources to reimplement peer to peer when the servers would be shutting down, y'know.

I highly doubt that the devs will go through the trouble of developing two versions of the same game.
    And in the end, even p2p needs servers for items etc.

• Dave_Microwave
    Dave_Microwave Member Posts: 33
    Options

@Master said:

@Dave_Microwave said:

I highly doubt that the devs will go through the trouble of developing two versions of the same game.

Ah yeah, true. I suppose this could be something they would look into when the servers are nearing it's end then.

• RepliCant
    RepliCant Member Posts: 1,436
    Options

@Master said:

@Dave_Microwave said:

Fan made servers are highly common. If you want an example, look up "Wiimmfi" and there's even a website.

"Wiimmfi
    The Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection (WFC) service was an online gaming service that provided free online play in various Nintendo DS and Wii games. Nintendo discontinued the service on May 20th, 2014, primarily because the host of the service, GameSpy, was shutting down its servers. Nintendo WFC was required for online play, but the Wiimmfi Project has replicated much of its functionality and allows for continued online play in Mario Kart Wii and other games.
    Wiimmfi is available for the public since May 10th, 2014 (10 days before WFC shutdown). It started with Mario Kart Wii and supports now more than 100 games. Read »Development of Wiimmfi« for details.

To use Wiimmfi, the games must be patched to use the new domains and also to change some other settings. See »Wiimmfi Patcher« for more details."

So, it is possible for this to happen. But the likelyhood of someone going out of their way to host servers for just DBD seems far-fetched.

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,613
    edited January 2019
    Options

Well, it's always good to have a back up.
    Which we'll need sometimes, more than likely...

• DwightsLifeMatters
    DwightsLifeMatters Member Posts: 1,649
    Options
    Fan servers is not a rarity. For example demon Souls. After they shut down the official servers the fans had a fanserver up withing the first week 
  • Entità
    Entità Member Posts: 1,583
    Options
    Oh, yeah, I want a neverending Dead by Daylight! **