The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Is this game dying?

Vindictus
Vindictus Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 12

It's taking way too long to find lobbies even if there is 100% incentives, even on peak hours. I check steam charts and almost 20K less players since last month. I am spending more time in the lobby than in a match. Sometimes lobbies take a couple of minutes to fill.

Comments

• ohheyitsbobcat
    ohheyitsbobcat Member Posts: 1,710
    edited May 3

Around 30k players is where DBD tends to level out so it's at its norm atm.

Might be your area? I get fairly quick lobbies for both sides, even when I play at like 1-2 in the morning.

• ArkInk
    ArkInk Member Posts: 654

A whole lot of dreadful answers here. I'd say it's the newest patch bugging so much of the game out. Depending on your region, it could've caused a lot of players in your area to put the game down.

• crogers271
    crogers271 Member Posts: 1,708

Every time DBD takes a dip in player count its the end, but the fact the game saw a 10k increase in players for March is not really talked about. Not seeing a 20k player drop on steam charts, looks like 10k to me (unless you mean peak player counts, which is not really a great metric).

The mass BP event looks to have been popular, brought in some more players, and now its returning to normal. The bugs in the latest release likely are having an impact as well.

• HexHuntressThighs
    HexHuntressThighs Member Posts: 1,243

No and stop saying that lol. We do this every single week and it’s old hat. This game is not dying, never has come even close to dying and will never die. I find matches in less than 30 seconds every single time as killer. No matter the blood point bonus or not. It’s region based.

• alaenyia
    alaenyia Member Posts: 650

Yes and No, they do keep attracting new players but they have a rough retention rate for old players. A huge majority of PC players have left. Especially when crossplay is mandatory. So will it die out completely, probably not for a long time. Has the quality of gameplay and enjoyment out of it plummeted, yes, yes it has. Bhvr has other media in the works though and DLCs will always attract new players. So it will taper off slowly, unless another horror game comes along to topple it.

• I_CAME
    I_CAME Member Posts: 1,233
    edited May 3

Steam numbers

January 2022 - 40k average

January 2023 - 33.6k average

January 2024 - 28.6k

Slowly bleeding out is probably the correct way to describe it. It definitely isn't growing. You can look at other details like how the peak player count during the anniversary declines every year recently. It isn't just a Steam thing either. The average viewer count on twitch was 31k in January of 2022. In January of 2024 it was 22k. I think the way everyone dipped after the last BP event shows that a lot of people don't think the base game is really worth their time.

• Xernoton
    Xernoton Member Posts: 5,542

According to the community the game has been dying for almost 8 years now.

• Choaron
    Choaron Member Posts: 317

Now do the same comparison but with March instead. Who do you think you're tricking?

• sinkra
    sinkra Member Posts: 386

Survivor isn't fun anymore.

• DH3206
    DH3206 Member Posts: 272

No, it's not dying. But the last patch made the game take a hit in players, a lot of players are experiencing bugs or lag. I'm certain they will patch out most of it eventually.

And I think the anniversary event will make some players come back as well.

• Nazzzak
    Nazzzak Member Posts: 5,407

My queue times have been fine. I would expect queue times to take a bit longer on peak times because there's more duos and trios during that time than there would be off peak. So it probably is prone to a bit of backlogging that delays lobbies

• Venusa
    Venusa Member Posts: 1,481

I don't think so but this patch is awful and we haven't gotten a bug fix patch yet.

• Yharwick
    Yharwick Member Posts: 521

Not dying, I think the last patch soured a lot of people though. I know I don't plan on coming back until Anni.

In the the long term it depends on the devs really focusing on balance. They hired a bunch of artists to pump out more cosmetics and that's a good thing but now they need to do the same thing for the balance team and whoever it is that fixes bugs. No more bugs that last for weeks and weeks and no more dealing with busted perks for months upon months.

• NotAnotherDoctor
    NotAnotherDoctor Member Posts: 291

Its not dying but it's definitely not in a healthy position right now

• E5150
    E5150 Member Posts: 79

Dying? Nah.

But i'm really close to leave it for some time until they fix this last patch.

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,775
  • The_Krapper
    The_Krapper Member Posts: 3,259

It depends on what you consider dead, the game isn't far off from being finished with updates and new additions and soon we'll be left (hopefully) with the servers still on so you can play just no more new content, if they shut the servers off the game is officially dead unless you use the back door into the old version of the game where the servers are reliant on the killer but finding lobbies will be ridiculous unless people make that more known on how it's done, I'm not allowed to post it here but I can confirm when dbd goes down occasionally you can play the old one and there are a few content creators and others who will hop on it so the ques aren't so bad but if you were to hop on it now with current dbd working nobody will be playing you'll just wait

• Sunflower_Mage
    Sunflower_Mage Member Posts: 34

The patch definitely caused at least a dip in players who at the very least are taking a break from the game.

• THE_Crazy_Hyena
    THE_Crazy_Hyena Member Posts: 248

I think the general consensus being that the last patch brought with it so many bugs, that it is severely impacting player experience in the game. I for one will not return until the damn rubberbanding stops occurring. It is not fun playing in the current state of the game.
    Also, there is seemingly a connection to the survivor side being too weak at the moment, which is causing less people to play survivor, thus making matches take much longer to find.

• arcaneGospel
    arcaneGospel Member Posts: 236

Nope. Bad spot, sure, but it's really just that this patch is unplayable. That's really it. I want to be playing, I just can't until the rubberbanding and PotEnergy and Hawkins get fixed and all that.

• mecca
    mecca Member Posts: 287

Veerry slowly dying. It's a terrible game to play now and rubberbanding is making it worse because you can be several meters from the killer and he magically rubberbands and hits you.