Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Nurse is NOT the best Killer in the game. CHANGE MY MIND.

RepliCant
RepliCant Member Posts: 1,436

This is an open discussion for one particular rising topic in General Discussions.

The Nurse

Before commenting, please keep these things in mind:
1. I am using high level play as a reference. This doesn't include perks or add ons for both Survivor and The Nurse; this is based on raw high level gameplay. There is no "Well maybe the Survivors were just bad or The Killer was." This is optimal play.
2. Be nice.
3. All matters here are opinionated. Don't throw or catch hands.

Establishing Weakness and Strengths of The Nurse

Pros of The Nurse:

• Is not disturbed by Pallets & Pallet Loops
  • Is able to counter Vaults
  • Has the ability to end the chase sooner than most Killers
  • Mobility and Map Pressure

Cons of The Nurse:

• Hard to learn (High Skill Cap)
  • Countered by stealth
  • The Nurse relies heavily on predicting Survivor movement
  • Dead Zones
  • Slowest Killer in the game. (Slower than a Survivor)

What Do I Think?

While I believe The Nurse is the most balanced Killer, it's debatable to pick her in the #1 spot. Many people place her there due to her ability to negate pallet loops entirely, which is the current strategy in Dead by Daylight.

There's one obvious, thing. If The Nurse can negate pallets and windows by being able to teleport through, what does that make every other single object?

A Pallet. Yes, Treat Trees, Tires, Walls, Lockers, everything like a pallet. Run around, juke left when it looks like you're going right. The Nurse relies on being able to predict where you will be, and where her blink will link up. If you disorient her predictions, it nuffles The Nurse completely. Infact, you should be able to lose her after she blinks as the fatigue is an incredibly strong window of opportunity to throw off The Nurse even more.

One thing I should mention is the mechanic of The Nurse's blink. When The Nurse performs a blink, it's often similar to sliding down a patch of ice. There is momentum to it, and she does not have full 380 mobility in her blink. This allows you to watch her blink by, move in the opposite direction, then repeat if she blinks for a second time, third, etc. It's effective, and if you are able to predict The Nurse before she predicts you, you will be able to outplay her the majority of the time.

My highest escape rate has to be against The Nurse. What do you guys think?

Comments

• Master
    Master Member Posts: 10,200

Regarding the cons:

Hard to learn (High Skill Cap) - thats irrelevant, I thought we are talking about high lvl gameplay
    Countered by stealth - any killer can be countered with stealth and then you proceed to loop (not nurse though)
    The Nurse relies heavily on predicting Survivor movement - yes high skill cap
    Dead Zones - yes thats annoying, but not too bad
    Slowest Killer in the game. (Slower than a Survivor) - irrelevant since you blink

• Poweas
    Poweas Member Posts: 5,873

@Master said:
    Regarding the cons:

Hard to learn (High Skill Cap) - thats irrelevant, I thought we are talking about high lvl gameplay
    Countered by stealth - any killer can be countered with stealth and then you proceed to loop (not nurse though)
    Slowest Killer in the game. (Slower than a Survivor) - irrelevant since you blink

She's not that hard to learn. Everyone exaggerates it. But good points for everything else.

• Poweas
    Poweas Member Posts: 5,873

Btw this is either a troll or bait thread.

• ForeheadSurviors
    ForeheadSurviors Member Posts: 154
    Well if you play on crapsole with its limited fps and limited turning then obviously shes not that good.. You should thank your toaster for giving you easy games against nurse
  • RepliCant
    edited January 2019

@Vietfox said:
    Brady said:

Are you on console?

PC but I played both.

Nurse is not as bad on Console as people say, either. I'm not saying she sucks, but arguing her as the strongest Killer ingame

@Poweas said:

This is serious. While I agree everyone does exaggerates it a bit, it is still true she is the hardest Killer to learn for the majority of gameplay

@Master said:
    Regarding the cons:

1. You're right. Information is still correct, but if we are talking about high lvl play it is irrelevant.
    2. Nurse is exceptionally weak to stealth unlike Killers like Wraith, Freddy, Pig, even HillBilly.
    3. Yep. Imo she's easy to outplay because of that.
    4. Depends on the map. What would you say is her best and worst maps?
    5. Going off of #2, stealth is even more of a disadvantage to The Nurse because of her movement speed. She will have troubles finding a Survivor if they're immersed and smart enough to stay hidden. She lacks tracking Survivors which is why her Unique Perks help with that, but without them, it's highly lackluster. Since we're basing on gameplay, just because there's blinks does not mean her movement speed cannot come into play and can effect any aspect of the game.

You make some great points, Master.

• HatCreature
    HatCreature Member Posts: 3,298

If she's not the best, who do you think is? You discredit Nurse but offer no replacement, bad argument right there.

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,614

@Brady said:

Personally, this has never been a con.
    I don't mind one bit investing time into a character to see matches flourish with positive results.

• RepliCant
    edited January 2019

@HatCreature said:
    If she's not the best, who do you think is? You discredit Nurse but offer no replacement, bad argument right there.

Please use this as reference as I'm not editing a thread to prevent confusion.

The Spirit.

Her skill cap is high like Nurse's, but I believe she has less counterplay when using optimal, raw gameplay.

She has more mindgame potential like the Nurse but with less counters.
    She has map pressure as well
    The Ability to end chases quickly
    I can go on, essentially the pros and cons are the same. I mean she can't see survivors, but a good spirit learns how the environment moves around her during phase walking. i.e Grass, auditory triggers, etc.

From my experience, Spirit has performed better than any Nurse. People do know how to play against her, but her mobility with invisibility outclasses The Nurse.

Also, please remember we are all sharing opinions here.

Post edited by RepliCant on
  • RepliCant

@Boss said:

@Brady said:

I don't mind one bit investing time into a character to see matches flourish with positive results.

Good to know. Often the High Skill cap can offset players and leave them frustrated.

What do you think of The Nurse?

• Master
    Master Member Posts: 10,200

@Brady said:

@Vietfox said:
    Brady said:

Are you on console?

PC but I played both.

Nurse is not as bad on Console as people say, either. I'm not saying she sucks, but arguing her as the strongest Killer ingame

@Poweas said:

This is serious. While I agree everyone does exaggerates it a bit, it is still true she is the hardest Killer to learn for the majority of gameplay

@Master said:
    Regarding the cons:

1. You're right. Information is still correct, but if we are talking about high lvl play it is irrelevant.
    2. Nurse is exceptionally weak to stealth unlike Killers like Wraith, Freddy, Pig, even HillBilly.
    5. Going off of #2, stealth is even more of a disadvantage to The Nurse because of her movement speed. She will have troubles finding a Survivor if they're immersed and smart enough to stay hidden. She lacks tracking Survivors which is why her Unique Perks help with that, but without them, it's highly lackluster. Since we're basing on gameplay, just because there's blinks does not mean her movement speed cannot come into play and can effect any aspect of the game.

I really hated the hospital with nurse. LOS breakers everywhere and a few deazones too.
    Game is really good for her, she can blink almost everywhere

• RepliCant

@Master said:

@Brady said:

@Vietfox said:
    Brady said:

Are you on console?

PC but I played both.

@Poweas said:

@Master said:
    Regarding the cons:

I really hated the hospital with nurse. LOS breakers everywhere and a few deazones too.
    Game is really good for her, she can blink almost everywhere

Lerys is just bad. It's another example of her poor MS speed that effects her.

They fixed The game huh? Props to BHVR. I remember when it first came out, The Game was arguably the second worst map for her because of the sheer amount of Dead Zones that used to exist prior to map fixes.

Man, I love me some Coldwind with her though.

• Hoodied
    Hoodied Member Posts: 13,018

I can try to change your mind, its your opinion

• DwightsLifeMatters
    DwightsLifeMatters Member Posts: 1,649
    "1. I am using high level play as a reference."
    and later on you say as con:
    "Hard to learn (High Skill Cap)"

You are contradicting yourself with these both points tho.
  • HatCreature
    HatCreature Member Posts: 3,298

@Brady said:

@HatCreature said:

Please use this as reference as I'm not editing a threat to prevent confusion.

The Spirit.

Her skill cap is high like Nurse's, but I believe she has less counterplay when using optimal, raw gameplay.

She has more mindgame potential like the Nurse but with less counters.
    She has map pressure as well
    The Ability to end chases quickly
    I can go on, essentially the pros and cons are the same. I mean she can't see survivors, but a good spirit learns how the environment moves around her during phase walking. i.e Grass, auditory triggers, etc.

From my experience, Spirit has performed better than any Nurse. People do know how to play against her, but her mobility with invisibility outclasses The Nurse.

Also, please remember we are all sharing opinions here.

Ok cool, I wanted to check if this was a troll post but you provided an awesome alternate Killer. I love Spirit, I play on console so Spirit is the console's Nurse. She can't go through walls like Nurse but the fact you don't know what Spirit is doing means it's difficult to counter, can't counter a move you don't know and such.

• Fenrir
    Fenrir Member Posts: 533
    Freddy is best killer change my mind
  • RepliCant
    edited January 2019

@DwightsLifeMatters said:
    "1. I am using high level play as a reference."
    and later on you say as con:
    "Hard to learn (High Skill Cap)"

You are contradicting yourself with these both points tho.

That was noted already. Anyways, that has nothing to do with where The Nurse stands in power.

The pros and cons are the strengths and weaknesses of The Nurse. Meaning, it's still a con. Obviously it doesn't apply once high level play comes in. But overall, the pros and cons is separate. It's some insight.

• Kind_Lemon
    Kind_Lemon Member Posts: 2,559

The issues with pallets are the stuns and time required to make the pallet useless for vaulting. If pallets were objects that didn't stun and couldn't be vaulted over once thrown (eg. dropping a support beam that brings down an impassable wall), then that would a peek into the Nurse's world as to how she ignores defenses.

So, no, not everything is a pallet, and that's why she can be so effective (in addition to her speed during blink reducing the time to react to an approaching terror radius).

• RepliCant

@Kind_Lemon said:
    The issues with pallets are the stuns and time required to make the pallet useless for vaulting. If pallets were objects that didn't stun and couldn't be vaulted over once thrown (eg. dropping a support beam that brings down an impassable wall), then that would a peek into the Nurse's world as to how she ignores defenses.

So, no, not everything is a pallet, and that's why she can be so effective (in addition to her speed during blink reducing the time to react to an approaching terror radius).

You treat everything like a pallet. Vaulting is useless against The Nurse unless you've memorized how long it takes for a Nurse to blink X amount of distance, and you need to be positive you'll make it. Trees, tires, rocks, anything that breaks LOS destroys her, because once ive placed myself behind a LOS blocker, even if it's a slim tree, it gives opportunity for the Nurse to make a wrong prediction, which every blink she misses, is more time for me.

• DarkWo1f997
    DarkWo1f997 Member Posts: 1,532
    I agree. She really isn’t. 
  • Milo
    Milo Member Posts: 7,383

Spirit and Nurse are the best killers. IF (that's a big if) you do know how to "outplay" survivor.
    One mistake can put you at a big disadvantage.
    (for spirit its slightly more cause of the gauge mechanic, Nurse after blinking can still see survivors and use her power right away)

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,614
    edited January 2019

@Brady said:

@Boss said:

@Brady said:

Good to know. Often the High Skill cap can offset players and leave them frustrated.

What do you think of The Nurse?

Nurse is one of my least favorite Killers.
    My reasons are probably...special, though.

First: She whines a lot, and i'm not into ASMR.
    The new sounds make it way worse too.

Second: She moves slow at base.
    Now of course her main form of traveling is Blinking.
    But first, i'll refer back to point 1.
    And i find it annoying to move between super fast and super slow, it makes moving slow all the more annoying.

Third: She'll get me to red ranks in a flash (though by now i'd have to de-rust first), which is where i NEVER wanna go back to again.
    I gave those ranks a good try for about a year, but nothing changes.
    Not often, i go back to check if it's the same ######### all over again: It's the same ######### all over again.

Fourth: Add-ons feel practically useless, there's only 5 or so that i'll ever use.
    I feel like i'm actually wasting BP on her, and i can earn BP more easily on others. (That might be a personal thing though, but you asked for my reasons, so yeah.)

Fifth: DCs are much higher when i play against her. (Mind you that i absolutely despise camping, being camped and doing camping, so it can't be that at least.)
    And i can understand why they do, but that doesn't make it okay.

Sixth: I don't like looking at the ground that much, surprisingly. (Which is why Pocket Watch is my favorite Add-on on her.)

Uhmm...I think that should cover it for now.
    I'm sure there's other things, but just can't think of them right now.

I guess her cosmetics are pretty boring?
    Wait no, the wedding dresses and base nurse are pretty cool to me.

• RepliCant

I honestly still believe if you're a survivor who'll take the time to understand The Nurse's ability, it is most certainly easy to exploit.