Most debated perk: Distortion

Perhaps the most debated perk in the game’s history, Distortion is notorious for causing frustration for many killers for being regarded as “too strong” or “gives too much too survivors with no down side” etc, etc. and along with these sentiments comes with complaints and suggested changes.

To provide context and give a basis to the argument, I am a survivor main with a Survivor to Killer ratio of around 65%:35% (estimated).

As of currently (and has been since patch 6.1.0), Distortion has given the following benefits to survivors:

• Start the trial with 3 tokens
  • Whenever your aura is supposed to be shown to the killer, a token is consumed activating Distortion for 10 seconds. Your aura will not be shown for this duration and your scratch marks are hidden
  • Being inside the killers terror radius by any means for 30 seconds will grant you an extra token

Now the reason I had to emphasise “by any means” is that distortion works differently compared to other perks that grant tokens whilst in the killers terror tissue. For example, Stake Out grants tokens whilst in the killers terror radius whilst standing, meaning injured, healthy or whatever aslong as you are up. HOWEVER, Distortion will grant tokens (for some reason) REGARDLESS of your situation, so long as you meet the requirement of being within the terror radius, by this I mean you could be on hook, or down on the ground and still gain tokens. Now I assume this is a bug, but I wouldn’t put my money on it.

This aspect of the perk (I believe) has gone unnoticed by the community, but those who do realise it have probably added it to their list of reasons of why Distortion should be nerfed.

Personally, I don’t see a massive problem with distortion, I think it’s a fairly adequate perk to have in one’s build and really helps against these strong aura perks, but I can completely understand from a killers perspective that certain perks in your build are completely countered by one perk that essentially lasts the whole game. Although, whilst this is the case, Distortion’s pick rate is not as high as you would expect it to be considering its huge benefits.

Regardless, moving forward, I will suggest some changes to bring the perk to a safer and toned down version to ensure that it’s still a valid choice whilst simultaneously not causing killer mains a huge amount of hassle.

Updated Distortion:

• Start the trial with 4 tokens (was 3)
  • Whenever your aura is supposed to be revealed to the killer, a token is consumed activating Distortion for 15 seconds. During this time, your scratch marks will not be revealed to the killer and your aura will be hidden (changed the duration to 15 seconds instead of 10 seconds)
  • If you are the obsession, gain 1 token for every 40 seconds (was 30 seconds) spent inside the killers terror radius (added obsession requirement)
  • Increases your chances of being the obsession at the start of the game (new effect)
  • Standardised Distortion to only give tokens whilst standing up injured or healthy (was regardless of situation)

Overall, some of the numbers have been tweaked and it’s been made so that you can only gain tokens if you are the obsession.

Comments

• For_The_People
    For_The_People Member Posts: 422

it wasn’t until chaos shuffle where I had it on me a few times that I realised how useful this perk is as I kept having tokens used! Others have mentioned to me too and I realise now that killers have a lot of aura info effects which I’d never thought about before.

Though it won’t break into my usual build (if only we could have 5 perks!) I’m really glad to have the experience of using it and if any of my usual perks get nerfed beyond value for me (boon expo, for the people, plot twist and bond) then I’d certainly consider distortion.

• Halloulle
    Halloulle Member Posts: 1,208

uh… most debated in the game's history? What? "notorious" for causing killer frustrations? "Too strong"? I don't know where you've been but it's certainly not where I've been.

The one and only problem Distortion has, is that it's the only perk that somewhat reliably deals with aura read on killers. Meaning any survivor that for any reason wants to do anything about a killer randomly seeing their aura will have to opt for Distortion.

Given the plethora of aura reading perks and it being very much impossible to guess which aura reading perk a killer has, even those that don't actually care about their aura being read but want to simply be able to adjust their playstyle will have to use Distortion. That's ridiculous, especially since "playing around certain perks" is a huge part of the game.

Before anything is done to Distortion there need to be a number of other perks that fill some of the niches that Distortion has to fill simply due to the lack of alternatives.

Once that happened and there are several viable alternatives for different needs we can look at if and if so in how far Distortion is unhealthy for the game. - Which would be a discussion based on the premise that "stealthy gameplay" is unhealthy for the game. Which afaik the devs explicitly disagree with; stealthy gameplay is viable gameplay. (Just like camping and tunneling. - If that's a good thing, is yet another discussion.)

• Krazzik
    Krazzik Member Posts: 2,475

I do think Distortion needs to recharge a little slower so it's more viable for the killer to burn through the stacks. That said, Lethal is getting so common thesedays and it's the only counter to it.

• Rick1998
    Rick1998 Member Posts: 166

i would much rather the token be gained for chase time to discourage just crouching around .

• CountOfTheFog
    CountOfTheFog Member Posts: 2,067

It needs a buff. 4 tokens too. Killers literally knowing where everyone is all the time is ridiculous. They see the auras of the generators. If the Survivors want to escape, they will be on those.

4 aura reading perks is the new thing in my games and it's so busted. Lethal pursuer is ridiculous and I'd bet leads to a majority of the early hook suicides everyone hates.

• Halloulle
    Halloulle Member Posts: 1,208

Now, as a little addendum:

if there are other perks and if the consensus becomes that excessive stealthing is deemed unhealthy, then I think the proposed changes by OP aren't half bad. I can fully get behind the standing up one and I can even see the Obsession one being worth tried at least in closed tests or on a PTB. Dunno about the charging time tho.

• Ebonbane2000
    Ebonbane2000 Member Posts: 160

That's what's odd. Imagine the outcry if there was a change to put Lightborn on a token system at all much less one that requires chasing the obsession to recharge (as suggested) .

The complaints about Distortion doing something useful are a testament to how reliant many players become on seeing exactly where the person is hiding in a game of 'hide n seek'. Almost like many have forgotten how to follow scratch marks; look for crows; follow blood; and listen for grunts, groans, etc.

Thinking outside the box a little and use other survivor location perks (discordance; UW; spies) instead of asking for even easier matches.

• HolyDarky
    HolyDarky Member Posts: 470

Distortion is not a strong perk like old-old DH or MFT, it is more of an unhealthy perk for the metagame like @radiantHero23 already explained as well as many other threads and topics in this forum. Also not only killers suffer from this Distortion playstyle but also SoloQ because it makes the match in a rather 3v1 where the Distortion users plays really passive.

Distortion does not need a complex rework. Just make it so you gain the tokens during chase because this would stop the complete passive playstyle and selfish act of the users.

Distortion can be helpful for the team like if the user has Deliverance so they can avoid an early hook to get the perk activated. It can be a healthy perk but in it’s current state it does the opposite.

Distortion won't help you when you get tunnled. DS and OTR as well as good looping help you to avoid tunnling. The Rebecca Perk also helps to avoid tunnling and camping. I'd much rather have teammates that have these perks (and other ones like BT, We'll Make it ect) than Distortion because this is what really help.

I think with the idea of gain tokens back through chases, Distortion will still be a good perk (can, if you want, protect you from early tunnling) but in the end you have to take action.

Just because the killer knows where every survivor is, does not mean they can hook survivors. Lethal Pursuer is a helpful perk like corruption to make the early game more manageable since this is the weakest point of every killer. When a survivor gets find in a bad spot, it is rather a mistake of the survivor as this one didn't chose a safer spot near a good tile or loop.

Do you have any proof that survivor do hook suicides just because they get found by an aura perk? Because I think these players do this no matter what perks the killer has. The issue here is on this survivor and not on the killer or perk.

Year, one item and Perk gets countered is the same as 23 Perks and 53 Add-Ons get countered. Also even if you're right, two wrongs don't make it right.

• Reinami
    Reinami Member Posts: 5,261

The perk needs to be reworked, not because it is too strong, but it results in tunneling gameplay. If i have an aura reading perk, and 1-2 survivors are running distortion and hiding, i'm probably not going to find them, and the result will be a survivor getting tunneled out and getting upset by it.

• Reinami
    Reinami Member Posts: 5,261

Correct, but the difference is the game is a 1v4. By design killer perks should be stronger, because survivors have 16 perks and the killer only has 4. So lightborn to fully counter blinds makes sense.

• TheSubstitute
    TheSubstitute Member Posts: 2,295

Dead Hard and NOED have been debated dozens of times more than Distortion. Distortion is great as it makes stealth play more viable.

• 100PercentBPMain
    100PercentBPMain Member Posts: 706

If Distortion really bothers killers they can just run Lethal for the vibe check at the start. If you see no auras then you know not to rely on your build.

The Perk is fine.

• danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 8,886

How are they annoying to go against? Your aura gets seen for 9 seconds, and gens get blocked for 2 minutes, unless someone gets downed which wastes the perk.

• danielmaster87

The issue with aura hiding perks is that they're used by hiders to do nothing and hatch escape all the time, and punishes the killer for wanting to spread pressure. I really think info on killer is overrated. Just because you see where a survivor is doesn't mean you automatically get them in chase. But when we do choose to run an info perk, we should get use out of it. At least with Distortion the tokens can count down, albeit be regained 60 seconds later. With Off The Record and Shadowstep, it blocks any and every type of aura read for the full duration, which for OTR is 80 seconds and for Shadowstep is theoretically infinite.

The strawman is that killers can't use their eyes and ears to find survivors, so they rely on aura perks, and thus get mad about Distortion. A side argument, but ironically sound is extremely unreliable for killer because you can't hear breathing or footsteps of people right in front of you, and Claudette, Adam, and others have costumes which are very hard to spot even while moving. We can use our eyes and ears. It's just that when we hook someone, and have something like BBQ, we're using that to switch targets instead of camping and tunneling, which evidently are no longer worthwhile strategies, and yet survivors are still complaining about them. You leave us no options.

Unlike gen defence, which is overkill at low level and is not enough at high level, aura hiding is good across all levels. It allows you to rush gens while being stealthy, disrupt the killer spreading damage, disrupt the killer tunneling, etc, because he can't find anybody. There's no weakness to using it. And worst of all, it gets used for taking the game hostage, because the last 2 survivors don't want to do anything. This is something that can be done without aura hiding perks, such as hiding in lockers, but that furthers my point. The killer doesn't have a "closing out the game" mechanic for when they've clearly already won. They in fact have negatives like hooks breaking forever and free escape hatch. I think if survivors don't do gens or anything, they should have their auras revealed. You can't have people just hiding for extended periods of time in public matches.

• danielmaster87

They complain about teammates using Distortion when they're the only one not running it. Killer has an aura read perk, but only ever sees that one survivor with it, they have no choice but to tunnel that person. Distortion is just selfish perk design, slightly less so than Sole Survivor.

• Thusly_Boned
    Thusly_Boned Member Posts: 2,867

Man, if anyone thinks Distortion is the most debated perk ever they're either new to the game or have a really short memory. I could probably name 20 perks I remember being more contentious among the community.

Distortion is a pretty benign perk and the fact this is even a thread just shows how few really problematic perks we currently have.

• Spare_Them_Mori_Me
    Spare_Them_Mori_Me Member Posts: 1,328
    edited May 31

I get its a 1v4, but I dont see how that affects the conversation. If one survivor has Distortion, is it as bad or better than if all 4 had it?

4 survivors running distortion seems rare in pubs. SWFS maybe, but we already know we can't balance around that. And the idea that the killer is only 1 so they should have perks that slaughter half the interactions survivors can have with the killer seems so very unhealthy. Lightborn is the most power-loaded perk in the game. Its strength is pretty overtuned imo. But, thats another thread.

But to make this simplified, Lightborn and distortion are not the same in terms of power. Its just killer version, and survivor version.

There is no way to balance these things when its a 1V4, but the challenge is ongoing for BHVR and they're… doing alright I'd say lol. :)

@HolyDarky

"Year, one item and Perk gets countered is the same as 23 Perks and 53 Add-Ons get countered. Also even if you're right, two wrongs don't make it right."

Not sure where your math is headed, but mine says numerous perks, items and add-ons on survivor side become useless and wasted. Flashbang, Blastmine, Champion, and a few others. Items should be obvious, and their respective addons. We have no way to know if you're bringing LB, which is ridiculous as the killer can just pop on one perk, and boom, builds/items/playstyles… gone. Its the same with distortion, but it is only equal in power -IF- all 4 bring it. Otherwise, LB > Distortion

And this isnt about right and wrong. Its our opinions. We simply disagree. However…. You make a good point. Two wrongs dont make a right. I'd be for removing Light born and Distortion, completely. Fair? :)

This. ^

Yeah, thats all. Just this :)

• BbQz
    BbQz Member Posts: 83

Survivors need 4 perks to do what one killers does but the killers isn't token based

• Spare_Them_Mori_Me

Correct. The fact Lightborn doesnt need tokens or anything, it just… IS… is the difference. I doubt killers will acknowledge this, but thats the way of the forums.

• 100PercentBPMain
    100PercentBPMain Member Posts: 706

You talk about strawman immediately after dropping a strawman yourself.

• FrenchBagels
    FrenchBagels Member Posts: 175

If someone hates Distortion so much, I ask them to run Gearhead with Lethal and watch every single token eat itself away. It’s not like Gearhead is a bad perk. Some Huntress mains run it for Orbitals so I don’t see a problem in Distortion. And it literally never matters if you don’t use aura reading to begin with. Discordance ignores it and it’s a solid perk.

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 8,266

I dont mind Distortion as killer, since I dont need aura as killer anymore, just using senses. Crows, scratchmarks, breathing, blood, predicting behaviour.

As survivor though, I really dont like that I get seen by killers with aura perk, Jeff knows but I dont, then when both of us leave Gen, Im the only one leave scratchmark, Jeff is like just not exist at all. Making it Im the only target.

I dont like using Distortion, I prefer using Lightweight, Quick&Quiet, Dance with me (Calm Spirit would be in the build if there wasnt debuff)…to hide from killer.

• Sandt1985
    Sandt1985 Member Posts: 285

Hot Take: Distortion should work as it does now, but you only get tokens back while being chased by the killer. You want more Distortion tokens? You got to earn them,

• HexHuntressThighs
    HexHuntressThighs Member Posts: 1,071

Why does Pebble not recharge in chase but Distortion does? Is Pebble considered stronger than Distortion?😂

Distortion should either recharge in chase only or not in chase at all like stakeout, instead of both.

People complain about 4 slowdown, 4 aura read and now I’ve seen people complaining about 4 vault perks. How about we give killers 6 perk slots and make it to where they can only have a max of two of each type?

• Spare_Them_Mori_Me

Pebble isn't an aura perk. How is this relevant?

Instead of changing distortion, lets just bring Light born up to Distortion level and put Light born on a token system as well. No killer should get free value from anything. No survivor should get free value from anything. Should these rules apply to perks and items that shut down perks and items?

Aura builds and regression/gen speed builds make this game suck absolute ass. Its the biggest thing people mostly argue about. Why not just axe them and Make the Game Great Again®

If all you're seeing are those complaints, we are definitely playing different games. But I like your suggestion lol, 6 perk killers and only 2 perk copies. I'd try this game mode!

Also do you stream? I'd like to watch some good huntress stuff :)

• Spare_Them_Mori_Me

To get back on topic, chatted with a friend who had a well thought take imo.

"Lightborn in my honest opinion, I feel is fine where it is rn. Even though it counters a whole item and around several perks (i believe like at most around 10-13 perks or even less) I believe it is much healthier than distortion."

"Distortion imo is a necessary evil/a double sided blade. On one side you have the fact that one perk negates over 100+ perks/addons but on the other side of the blade there are over 100+ perks and addons that reveal auras in this game.

Having one perk "counter" a full aura build is not fun to go against as killer. But then again the most common one to use full aura is huntress who has a 20m terror radius and her lullaby doesn't replenish stacks of it. Not to mention you have to take into account what type of aura reading that is in play. BBQ for long distance? Floods for unhooks and info in chase(if applicable)? Gearhead after getting a hit for 30 seconds if a good skill check was hit."

"Plus the main aura perk for an aura build is lethal. Now distortion counters all of this and tells you what perks the killer has if you know what they all do."

"The average killer player usually will run about maybe 1 aura perk (depending on killer) but most would opt for gen defense so most of the time distortion is kinda useless outside of the extremes (that being full aura builds)"

But the killers that can utilize full aura builds can eat through those stacks while not being able for survivors to get those stacks back(Huntress, Nurse if their quick in chases even some Blights way back when)

• Rudjohns
    Rudjohns Member Posts: 1,963

Nerf Distortion

But also nerf aura reading

Every single perk and add-on should only reveal auras of healthy survivors

• PreorderBonus
    PreorderBonus Member Posts: 241

It's impossible to discuss a perk if people like you immediately jump to talk about the other side's perks. Do you not know how to argue without changing the topic?

• HexHuntressThighs

It’s relevant because pebble is an incredibly weak perk that has a harsher requirement to gain than a literal god tier aura reading denial perk. So if pebble has such a harsh requirement then distortion should as well.

While yes Lightborn stops 7 perks and 4 items. Distortion counter 23 perks (literally triple) and 52 add ons. So lightborn blocks 11 things meanwhile Distortion blocks 75 things.

• bjorksnas
    bjorksnas Member Posts: 5,416

Honestly I think distortion should work like this

starts with 3 tokens

gains 1 token back upon being hooked the first time and 2 tokens back upon being hooked the 2nd time

thats it, max 6 stacks a game and being seen is more of an eventuality than avoidable

I just don't like the gameplay loop of a 3v1 pressure against a team of 4 survivors because someone never takes aggro

• Spare_Them_Mori_Me

I disagree about its relevancy, but you do you. Its completely unrelated. You're just picking a perk that's weak and saying it should be equal to, apparently, any other perk. BHVR has trouble designing, but picking one thats crap and saying everything else should be modeled around it is not something I can support in terms of design philosophy.

If all 4 survivors bring their items and builds for blinding, then your Lightborn would be multiplied by 4. And again, the killer can choose to bring Lightborn if they see items in the lobby. Distortion is solely assuming anything aura will be relevant.

Distortion still has tokens that can be chewed through faster than they can generate. Lightborn simply fricken exists.

Can't say anything about the addons as survivors can't really get extra things like that. But for the record, if we did, Lightborn would counter it.

I experimented last night to see if distortion denies Trapper his aura from a caught survivor. It indeed does, and if they cant escape before the 10 seconds, it chews through another one. The OG gets stronger and stronger.

Im sure we could go on and on with our choice points, but regardless perks need to stop being nerfed, and others brought up, not down like you're suggesting, imho. All it seems to do is depress half the base, one way or another. One could argue that going the other direction, buffing up weaker perks, would still only bless half the base, but I'd wager it wouldn't be alongside frustration/anger/etc.

I really just want the game to be fun again. And the killer getting free info on everyone's whereabouts, regardless if its overblown info or not, isn't fun or thrilling.

• HexHuntressThighs

I can't believe you can't see the relevancy as it's blatant but oh well, I give up trying to explain that lol. Aura reading isn't fun to you but it is the most fun thing for me because snipes and orbitals are the main reason why I can still play this game 6-8 hours a day still.

It's absolutely not even close to free info either as you give up gen slowdown/ chase help perks just to see where they are. Knowing the location of a survivor is worthless if you aren't good enough to catch them. I run 4 aura perks 24/7 on Huntress and while I do win the majority of matches, all gens are usually done in less than 8 minutes. I even had a match the other day where I got 5 hooks in 4 minutes and they finished all the gens 2 minutes later.

Aura reading perks are overblown and really only insanely OP on Nurse, Blight, Billy and Oni. Trapper with 4 aura perks will get dunked on at mid to high MMR no contest. You only run out of distortion fast if you don't ever engage in a chase with killer and don't know how to use lockers to save tokens which is a painfully simple strategy to do. On top of being able to tell your SWF exactly what perks the killer has so even if they don't have distortion they can negate aura reads by hiding behind a gen or in a locker.

The perk is way overtuned, plain and simple; on top of being the epitome of a boring perk. I would argue the most boring perk in the game on the survivor side.

• BlackRose89
    BlackRose89 Member Posts: 281

The only reason I dislike the perk is because it hardly has any downtime. Yes, Im a killer main I make that clear. I have over 1400 hours in the game and currently on break bc the game has become very unfun for me. When I do play Survivor I sometimes use distortion and I rarely ever lose all my stacks. I usually have 1 or 2 stacks all match long and I see this also on Killer when there is always one survivor I never see with BBQ or Floods. The issue with distortion imo is it might as well now even have tokens bc you never will run out of them. I think the tokens should be done away with and just put a cooldown on the perk so it actually has some cooldown or just make it where stacks are harder to get. Also, I don't like how this perk counters every single info perk killer has other than two or three meh scream perks. With UW made pretty useless now killers only have aura perks that are good and all those are hard countered by one easy-to-use survivor perk.

Also, I know a few ppl say "Oh you killers don't need info, just use game sense" Oh you mean that thing the game doesn't even teach you? The thing that you have to learn on your own. Like instead of telling ppl this, how about you try to teach them by providing videos on the topic or even making videos yourself? Im tired of these players who think they are so good and will punch down at lower-skill players instead of trying to teach them to be better. Anyway, that is just my two cents about distortion. Dont think it is super powerful but I do think it has way too much uptime and is way too easy to use. If UW was too easy to use and had too much free info then distortion has the same issue as old UW it is too easy and too free.

• Crazewtboy
    Crazewtboy Member Posts: 1,259

The way I see it is Distortion cannot go anywhere unless aura reading as a whole is looked at. The biggest issues people had with aura reading perks in the past was that unless you were by a locker and able to access it in time, you had no way of countering aura reading perks. This completely ruined stealth gameplay. Now with perks like Nowhere to Hide being in the meta, the perk feels even more essential if you are looking for a stealth playstyle.

I agree that the requirements should work like Stake Out in the sense that you have to be physically standing in the terror radius of some sort, and it shouldn't be able to recharge in chase (which I believe Stake Out doesn't). But suggesting the perk not recharge seems a bit too much. That was the original idea for the perk, and nobody used it because between perks like BBQ, Lethal Pursuer, Nurse's Calling, any aura reading add-ons, etc, you could lose your three tokens really quickly, making it a wasted perk for the rest of the match.

• Ebonbane2000
    Ebonbane2000 Member Posts: 160

This!

A nerf of Distortion would require an across the board nerf of aura reading.

Only seeing healthy survivors would be a good change. Also, remove it from perks that make you exposed (or vice versa).

If we're nerfing the ability for survivors to stay hidden, hiding has to be less crucial.

• Spare_Them_Mori_Me
    edited June 2

I agree, we can move past the relevancy.

Now this is something I can understand! You like auras since it helps your chosen play style that you enjoy. Regardless of what people think about a perk or play style, I do feel everyone should play to enjoy themselves.

I apologize, I need to clarify. Lightborn is a free info perk in and of itself. Giving up another perk/addon/whatever is a choice players need to make. Chances are you're stronger taking the gen slowdown anyway. But for this discussion's sake, we're talking about lightborn and Distortion. And between the two, Lightborn is still the more loaded perk in terms of power weight and activation.

Distortion can run out of tokens. Yeah, not often. But it can. Lightborn… cannot. It will always be there 100%. And I'd like to ask since you're a huntress main. You really don;t chew through Distortion stacks with an aura build.. on huntress? She's the strongest killer to chew through stacks of Distortion from my experience and many other's I've asked regarding this topic and huntress.

Trapper gets dunked on regardless what he does. I was just commenting on learning something new regarding the OG. Love learning new things about him still :)

In closing, given distortion and lightborn are both similar in how powerful they are at shutting down perks/builds/addons, Distortion can still be dealt with. Lightborn cannot. Lightborn has zero counter play. And I know how much you killers like ranting and raving about how tactics and perks need to how counter play. But I'd really rather see both leave the game.

Boring is relative. Distortion is boring to you. Killers needing aura builds are boring to me. Just a big basket of leaking eggs, we are lol

Also, I know a few ppl say "Oh you killers don't need info, just use game sense" Oh you mean that thing the game doesn't even teach you? The thing that you have to learn on your own. Like instead of telling ppl this, how about you try to teach them by providing videos on the topic or even making videos yourself?

Or, learn the game yourself. It's the best and imo the most fulfilling way.

Im tired of these players who think they are so good and will punch down at lower-skill players instead of trying to teach them to be
    better.

Me too :(

Post edited by EQWashu on
  • Hannacia
    Hannacia Member Posts: 1,206
    edited June 2

Just make distortions tokens based on unhooks or heals. Force distortion users to actually help teammates instead of hiding in corners which sadly happens often. Also many like to play extremely selfish, won't even come unhook people.

Right now distortion is unhealthy since it forces the killer to go after the people they see while distortion users quite often refuse to take hooks or chases. In the end game its not rare to see 1 person or 2 with 0 hooks while rest have been hooked back to back.

Lightborn is used way less than distortion i find it funny how its even used as a counter well if you nerf distortion you have to nerf lightborn. I haven't seen lightborn used in months, while i think distortion might be slowly creeping to top 10 most used perks if it isnt already.

Just change distortion stacks so people cant rat out with it and they have to help team to get their stacks back thats all i ask.

• HexHuntressThighs

If survivors have a single brain cell they will use lockers to save distortion stacks. I made the mistake of using two aura reading perks and 2 slowdowns perks and after 9 hooks got zero aura reads at all. After switching to 4 aura reads I would say I comfortably don't get a my first aura read until about 4 minutes into the game if all 4 survivors have distortion.

This is a hot take apparently but I do think killer perks should be stronger than survivor perks by a lot. Considering the fact they are the power role and only get 4 perks compared to the potential 16 perks survivors have if they coordinate in SWF/ pre game lobby chat. So I don't believe light born is overpowered at all and is actually a huge determent to bring it because once survivors know you have light born they wont attempt saves and will just crush gens. I actually believe bringing Light born helps survivors win because they are no longer wasting time and become more gen efficient.

I haven't used light born and never will as it is one of the most worthless perks in this game as you can prevent 99% of saves by facing a wall or doing a 180 flick pickup, unless of course they are using the ridiculously broken BGP. I dont blame killers for bringin light born though after they removed the flashy timing and it requires zero skill to get saves anymore. Just slap on a flashy and BGP and boom you get free and easy saves no skill needed!

Ill never forget the first time i put it on! 4 Saves back to back and the killer literally couldn't do anything at all! I just told my buddy to go down out in the open and that was it. So they ended up slugging us all to death but I didn't blame them.

• tyantlmumagjiaonuha
    tyantlmumagjiaonuha Member Posts: 536

It's not terribly powerful, but it's not healthy that this one perk can disable over double-digit killer add-ons and perks, and the token recovery will keep it active throughout the match, which is probably hurting BhVR's ability to come up with new perks and add-ons.

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 9,099

I never realy thought Distortion needed a buff to begin with. I used to run it occasionally before you could regain tokens, because simply knowing what aura reading the killer has available to them is powerful enough. You can anticipate getting in a locker or behind a gen when the killer hooks someone, or kicks a gen, once you've noticed what actions proc it.

That said, I don't think current Distortion is as 'problematic' as some people think. It can be irritating if you're only running one or two situational aura perks, but that's kinda how counter perks work, and full aura build will burn through it quick enough.

I'd be on board with this change though. Alternatively restrict token recharge only to being in chase, rather than just in the terror radius.