Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Hillbilly balanced?

Having run into a fair few billy players, almost everytime i've been downed is because I can't get away when they get their chainsaw up. To elaborate, the killers base speed is higher for obvious reasons but for billy, when revving the chainsaw there's no decrease or slowing?! Therefore they can just run up to you while revving and instadown you. I dont see why Billy isn't slowed down a bit as to allow you to actually escape. They can just spam it and run across the map whilst also hugging you.

Comments

• will_i_am_14_85
    will_i_am_14_85 Member Posts: 489

Hillbilly is fine, I have survived and died at the hands of Billy, one of the few times I get tense and scared at the start of the game when I hear that chainsaw rev, which, as I survivor is probably how I should feel at the start of every game.

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,590

I don't think billy gets punished enough for misusing his chainsaw or if you outplay the chainsaw, there's almost no repercussions. I think the recovery for manually canceling the chainsaw should be longer. He has almost zero downsides.

• vampire_toothy
    vampire_toothy Member Posts: 381

@Blueberry said:
    I don't think billy gets punished enough for misusing his chainsaw or if you outplay the chainsaw, there's almost no repercussions. I think the recovery for manually canceling the chainsaw should be longer. He has almost zero downsides.

Hillbilly does have downsides, it's just that those downsides aren't really as major for experienced players. Things such as his chainsaw stun or even his extensive cooldown that doesn't allow you to interact with objects on the map and slows you down is infact a downside though of course anybody who is experienced at hillbilly isn't really going to get chainsaw stunned enough times to actually matter, if at all. Most killers generally have downsides and while hillbilly is probably one with some of the least, they do exist and should be taken advantage of.

To go better in-depth, Hillbilly has another weakness that killers like Nurse, Spirit, Hag and (ugh) Legion don't have - looping. Hillbilly can be looped like most of the cast of killers and because of this you can outplay his saw as you would outplay any other killer and from there you only need to worry about a smart billy who understands the timing of their saws at which point the complaint of a skilled hillbilly killing you is nullified as the same argument is used for Nurse.

• Yamaoka
    Yamaoka Member Posts: 4,321

Personally I think Hillbilly is just easy mode in this game. He is ridiculously easy to play (by far easier than leatherface), has the most map pressure in the whole game, can instadown quickly, has a low penalty for bumping into obstacles, can somewhat counter small loops even by doing sharp turns during his sprint, moves at survivor speed even while revving his chainsaw and can go mach 1 during the chainsaw sprint. He is somewhat op but he´s never going to get nerfed because it´s one of the original killers. Even the devs said if you want to win just play Billy which makes him kind of boring in my opinion.

• The_Trapper
    The_Trapper Member Posts: 186
    edited January 2019

Hillbilly is great, high-skill for high reward but can also be punished heavily during mindgames.

When I play survivor I love to bait that chainsaw for a pallet I don't even throw down just to get a few extra loops in.

Too many survivor mains who suck, wanting another balanced killer watered down to their taste. You know they are the type of people who have ketchup with steak.

• Yamaoka

@The_Trapper said:
    Hillbilly is great, high-skill for high reward

Holding one button at point blank range takes high skill?

• vampire_toothy
    vampire_toothy Member Posts: 381

@Yamaoka said:
    Personally I think Hillbilly is just easy mode in this game. He is ridiculously easy to play (by far easier than leatherface), has the most map pressure in the whole game, can instadown quickly, has a low penalty for bumping into obstacles, can somewhat counter small loops even by doing sharp turns during his sprint, moves at survivor speed even while revving his chainsaw and can go mach 1 during the chainsaw sprint. He is somewhat op but he´s never going to get nerfed because it´s one of the original killers. Even the devs said if you want to win just play Billy which makes him kind of boring in my opinion.

Actually, in terms of difficulty to use, Leatherface is actually far easier to use but more difficult to win with against better players. Hillbilly provides a playstyle some players at least enjoy and it should be expected that some killers will be strong. Also, it's important to note that Hillbilly is not only one of the original killers but is also considered by many to be the most balanced killer in the game (some might argue that Huntress or Spirit are the most balanced, in which case Hillbilly is still just slightly better than them). While it's true that a good Hillbilly can counter smaller to medium-sized loops it requires a better understanding of the timing on your chainsaw and confidence in your ability to actually hit them with perfect timing which does in a way require skill, this is especially true when against actually smart players, though that is a bit of a rarity.

• The_Trapper

@Yamaoka said:

@The_Trapper said:

I can't even remember the last time I got into that situation since there are more than enough vaults and pallets to loop, sounds like you just struggle.

• Yamaoka

@The_Trapper said:

sounds like you just struggle.

I say he´s op and you immediately think I´m a survivor main who struggles against him. That´s ridiculous. I´m a 50/50 player and I honestly don´t know if I have ever lost a game when playing Billy. He´s just that easy to play. You can pretty much always chainsaw people instead of using the melee weapon especially when using instasaw addons. I even get vault or pallet chainsaws like everytime I play him. It´s just ridiculous how people consider him "balanced".

• The_Trapper

@Yamaoka said:

@The_Trapper said:

sounds like you just struggle.

I say he´s op and you immediately think I´m a survivor main who struggles against him. That´s ridiculous. I´m a 50/50 player and I honestly don´t know if I have ever lost a game when playing Billy. He´s just that easy to play. You can pretty much always chainsaw people instead of using the melee weapon especially when using instasaw addons. I even get vault or pallet chainsaws like everytime I play him. It´s just ridiculous how people consider him "balanced".

Haven't called you directly a survivor main have I?
    I am a killer main who plays survivor for a lack of challenge and to relax. I'm rank 8 survivor at the moment and rank 1 killer, max ranked every killer aside from Hag and Spirit.

Hillbilly is very balanced, fact. His chainsaw is situational, survivors can vault, throw pallets, dead hard and 360. It sounds like you have a real chip on your shoulder about him but the majority of this thread does not agree with what you are saying.

My advice, take as you wish, is to play him more to see how decent survivors counter him.

If you are stuck in the open then that's your fault. Every killer thrives from being right behind you, if being able to down you in one shot is really a problem then you should probably ask for Myers and Leatherface to be nerfed too. While we are at it, should exposed be removed too? Lmao

• Yamaoka

@The_Trapper said:
    My advice, take as you wish, is to play him more to see how decent survivors counter him.

After thousands of hours I´ve faced pretty much any red rank survivor/killer on my platform multiple times so I´m fairly sure I know what decent survivors play like. Billy´s chainsaw is as "situational" as his melee weapon when using instasaw addons and that´s the issue. Bubba´s chainsaw is slow as hell. His chainsaw typically hits with the 4th hit (if the survivor runs in a straight line like a tutorial bot) as his movement speed drops to a lousy 86% while revving the chainsaw if I remember correctly actually allowing survivors to vault in time, reach a pallet or run around objects. Myers needs to stalk AND has a 60 second timer at tier 3 unless he uses Fragrant Tuft Of Hair. Meanwhile Billy´s chainsaw hits over window vaults, while dropping a pallet or even just by randomly sprinting through the map like every game due to his 230% chainsaw speed and he even has 100% movement speed whilerevving his chainsaw. That´s ridiculous. Just my opinion.

• Vietfox
    Vietfox Member Posts: 3,823
    I would say his chainsaw is heavier than the hammer, so no, not balanced at all.
  • Albeejs
    Albeejs Member Posts: 2

Really eye opening ;) but as i said, i think there should some form of light restriction (not complete rework or debuff) to the revving period. The best i can suggest is a slowing effect that lasts the length of the revving and maybe a second after. However, many good points were raised and it is most likely my lack of killer play time (and skill)

• Shad03
    Shad03 Member Posts: 3,732

@Yamaoka said:

@The_Trapper said:

After thousands of hours I´ve faced pretty much any red rank survivor/killer on my platform multiple times so I´m fairly sure I know what decent survivors play like. Billy´s chainsaw is as "situational" as his melee weapon when using instasaw addons and that´s the issue. Bubba´s chainsaw is slow as hell. His chainsaw typically hits with the 4th hit (if the survivor runs in a straight line like a tutorial bot) as his movement speed drops to a lousy 86% while revving the chainsaw if I remember correctly actually allowing survivors to vault in time, reach a pallet or run around objects. Myers needs to stalk AND has a 60 second timer at tier 3 unless he uses Fragrant Tuft Of Hair. Meanwhile Billy´s chainsaw hits over window vaults, while dropping a pallet or even just by randomly sprinting through the map like every game due to his 230% chainsaw speed and he even has 100% movement speed whilerevving his chainsaw. That´s ridiculous. Just my opinion.

I dunno if it's because I play on the PS4 or not but I really wanna know what kind of Billy you play as and against. When I try hitting someone through a window I get stunned. I get looped, and I sure as hell can't get a lot of kills. I can typically survive against a Billy even if he has instasaw, it's hard but possible (Before you say it, I know that's not your argument.) I dunno, but it seems he is pretty okay where he is. He has his limits and quirks, like every other killer.

• The_Trapper
    edited January 2019

@Shad03 said:

@Yamaoka said:

@The_Trapper said:

I dunno if it's because I play on the PS4 or not but I really wanna know what kind of Billy you play as and against. When I try hitting someone through a window I get stunned. I get looped, and I sure as hell can't get a lot of kills. I can typically survive against a Billy even if he has instasaw, it's hard but possible (Before you say it, I know that's not your argument.) I dunno, but it seems he is pretty okay where he is. He has his limits and quirks, like every other killer.

I understand that the killer tiers are different on each platform. Hillbilly needs high-skill for the high rewards, not to mention good perks such as Ruin and BBQ.

He might be a tad more mobile on PC, I can 'flick' turn at the start if a chainsaw charge. Some maps play in his favour, some don't, it also depends on the survivors.

I watch Tru3Ta1ent, who had specific killer gameplay videos for inspiration, check him out if you wanna get a better idea.

To me, Hillbilly is a lot about knowing the field. I've played enough to know whether or not a survivor can make the pallet or the vault.

Sometimes I have to play a mindgame of revving the chainsaw before they throw down the pallet, if they loop around it; you are in trouble and need to decide whether pursuing the same survivor will be worth it.

When I hook someone; I use BBQ to immediately chainsaw charge over to the next survivor. I heavily advise using enduring and spirit fury, since Hillbilly eats through pallets.

If you have any questions, or even want me to upload a poor quality game of my Billy I will, he can be a terrifying killer but by no means would I consider him OP.

• Shad03
    Shad03 Member Posts: 3,732

@The_Trapper said:

@Shad03 said:

@Yamaoka said:

@The_Trapper said:

I understand that the killer tiers are different on each platform. Hillbilly needs high-skill for the high rewards, not to mention good perks such as Ruin and BBQ.

He might be a tad more mobile on PC, I can 'flick' turn at the start if a chainsaw charge. Some maps play in his favour, some don't, it also depends on the survivors.

I watch Tru3Ta1ent, who had specific killer gameplay videos for inspiration, check him out if you wanna get a better idea.

To me, Hillbilly is a lot about knowing the field. I've played enough to know whether or not a survivor can make the pallet or the vault.

Sometimes I have to play a mindgame of revving the chainsaw before they throw down the pallet, if they loop around it; you are in trouble and need to decide whether pursuing the same survivor will be worth it.

When I hook someone; I use BBQ to immediately chainsaw charge over to the next survivor. I heavily advise using enduring and spirit fury, since Hillbilly eats through pallets.

If you have any questions, or even want me to upload a poor quality game of my Billy I will, he can be a terrifying killer but by no means would I consider him OP.

Billy is just not for me. Give me my Trapper any day. That doesn't mean I don't know the gist of him though. He is scary, just not when he is in my hands.

• White_Owl
    White_Owl Member Posts: 3,786

@Vietfox said:
    I would say his chainsaw is heavier than the hammer, so no, not balanced at all.

I see what you did you here...

• Poweas
    Poweas Member Posts: 5,873

He's fine holy #########. I don't think you're a high rank if you complain about Billy and not Nurse, just saying ;)

• Bravo0413
    Bravo0413 Member Posts: 3,647
    You can loop the Billy ta daylight though.... as long as your near a window and pallet you're safe unless you screw up..... in which you should be punished if you screw up 
  • Bard
    Bard Member Posts: 657

Billy is balanced, but he's on the upper end of what I would consider balanced.

He was definitely overpowered when he had his flick, but now that it's gone he's great.

The only real issue I have with him is his lack of ultra rare add ons.

• DocFabron
    DocFabron Member Posts: 2,410
    Hillbilly is perfectly balanced. All killers should be at his power level. He's one of, if not, my favorite killer to face.
  • Laakeri
    Laakeri Member Posts: 835

@Doc_W__HOLLIDAY said:
    Hillbilly is perfectly balanced. All killers should be at his power level. He's one of, if not, my favorite killer to face.

Same. If I could I would only play vs BBQ Billys as they hook and sprint to the other side of the map to start a new chase.

• Lateral
    Lateral Member Posts: 77

@Yamaoka said:

@The_Trapper said:

I think he has Nurse (Hard mode) mixed up with Hillbilly (Easymode)

It even says Billy is 'easy' on the Killer's selection screen in game so there's no real argument there lol.

One has high risk, high skill ceiling, high reward (Nurse) the other has low risk, low skill ceiling, high reward (Billy).

• The_Trapper

@Lateral said:

@Yamaoka said:

@The_Trapper said:

I think he has Nurse (Hard mode) mixed up with Hillbilly (Easymode)

It even says Billy is 'easy' on the Killer's selection screen in game so there's no real argument there lol.

One has high risk, high skill ceiling, high reward (Nurse) the other has low risk, low skill ceiling, high reward (Billy).

It also says each survivor's difficulty, while it has more meaning to killer; it doesn't really prove much.

Frankly, it just sounds like so many survivors suck against him, where as I would rather face him than many other killers.

• ForeheadSurviors
    ForeheadSurviors Member Posts: 154

Hillbilly is great, high-skill for high reward but can also be punished heavily during mindgames.

When I play survivor I love to bait that chainsaw for a pallet I don't even throw down just to get a few extra loops in.

Too many survivor mains who suck, wanting another balanced killer watered down to their taste. You know they are the type of people who have ketchup with steak.

Against a good billy that will never work, i always fake rev when im at a loop tricking them to be greedy trying to squeeze an extra loop and just smack them down.
  • Lateral
    Lateral Member Posts: 77

Billy, because every game needs an easy-mode!

I dunno, some people just need that extra -special- bit of help that only an easy-mode can provide.

Not quite sure how an easy-mode is supposed to work in a game where there are no npc's, only players.

Still, best not take their crutch away lest they burn the forums down with their epic tanty tears of napalm.