Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

The Grudge Backstory

board24jason123
board24jason123 Member Posts: 73
edited June 8 in Creations

A powerful and vengeful onryo, Kayako Saeki was the wife and mother who was brutally killed by her husband Takeo who also killed their son Toshio Saeki. 

Kawamata Nakagawa was Kayako Saeki’s mother, Toshio Saeki's maternal grandmother, and Takeo Saeki's ex-mother-in-law. When Kayako was a little girl, Nakagawa was an exorcist and fed the blood of demons to Kayako, which scarred Kayako for life. When Kayako was older she became married with Takeo Saeki and both had a child together named Toshio Saeki. Kayako had a beautiful family and she also wanted to go to college which she did. 

Kayako becomes obsessed with Peter Kirk, an American college professor in Tokyo Japan , and writes about her feelings for him in a diary. 

Takeo finds the diary and becomes enraged, attacking Kayako as she tries to escape in fear of Takeo’s rage causing her trip and break her ankle. Kayako was helpless as she crawls for her life trying to flee away but Takeo had the advantage and snapping her neck causing kayako with a broken neck, unable to breathe as she tries to call out for help but instead her voicebox was like a rattle noise as she slowly dies in pain 

Takeo also kills their son Toshio who appears on the second stairway floor as he witnesses Takeo killing Kayako and Takeo sees him as he goes upstairs to kill Toshio which he drowns him in a bathtub and kills their pet cat, Mar, and hides the bodies in their house into the attic. 

As he hide the bodies Takeo began to commit suicide as some say he hunged himself. But right after Kayako and Toshio is killed Kayako’s spirit began to form as she transitions into a deadly rage onryo who kills Takeo by hanging him with the wrath of her hair as revenge of her death.

Kayako's ghost haunts the house, along with the spirit of Toshio, and kills anyone who enters the home. Kayako transforms into an onryō, a wrathful ghost who seeks revenge on the living. Those who come into contact with the house or with someone who has been cursed may experience symptoms such as hysteria, hallucinations, fever, and visions of a ghostly white naked cat-boy. The curse is contagious, and those who come contact with the house or anyone who is cursed that they have been around with will suffer their fate in the wrath of Kayako and Toshio.

Post edited by EQWashu on

Comments

• UndeddJester
    UndeddJester Member Posts: 2,961

Nice!

Would be interesting for Onryo to get a legendary skin as such for the Grudge.

Has been a while since I saw the Grudge, so I can't remember a lot of the points of the film, but re-skinning TVs and tapes to something thematically appropriate and giving Kayako a custom mori using her hair to hang/strangle a survivor would be awesome 😏🤘

• board24jason123
    edited June 8

I doubt a legendary skin would happen for 1 Kayako is a different license compared to Sadako. 2 it wouldn’t make sense for a license character to be a skin of a different license character that’s like saying alien would be a license skin for demo considering they work in different ways and two different license companies. 3 a grudge chapter deserves to be in dead by daylight in the future it would be a disrespect to the grudge franchise and the fans if they did a legendary skin it should more likely be a full chapter instead. 4 there are 2 onryos in dbd spirit and sadako. Spirit’s power is phasing and her appearance is pale skin and long black hair she also has a cosmetic with a white gown dress that’s what a onryo is. Sadako is another onryo who comes out of tvs with pale skin long black hair and a white gown dress her. The grudge is the same appearance white gown dress pale skin and long black hair she crawls on all 4s and has a different ability than sadako and spirit so it wouldn’t make any sense for a skin and it should be a full chapter

• UndeddJester
    UndeddJester Member Posts: 2,961
    edited June 8

True enough... I'm never against more killers.

Though what would you call her? She's literally an Onryō... be a bit weird to have the Onryō and... the other Onryō 😁

I'm jesting a little of course, and I am having to scan my mind back, so please forgive me if I'm a little vague, but the main issue with seeing Ju-On come to Dead by Daylight, is there are direct comparisons to be made against the Ring. A lot of the imagery and most iconic scares are shared, such as the twitchy and creepy crawling along the floor, the wide eyes through the matted hair, the twisted faces in TV screens, etc. Making the 2 feel distinct from one another is not an easy challenge.

This ties into Ju-On's second problem; while there are some interesting possibilities for a power, the focus of the Grudge is the curse of the home, the threat of vengeance of the ghosts of the family cursed by the tragic events there. Kayako is the star as a result of the rage from her husband killing her and her son, but every one of thrm is a threat, killing anyone who enters their home. This premise and setup is there to give us a lot of scares and creepy scenes, but doesn't really explore Kayako much herself or establish many rules regarding how she kills her victims. This may or may not work in the films favour, that's personal taste, but there is not a lot of meat to Kayako; the other characters such as Takeo and Toshio contribute just as much to the scares in the film. While I liked the film, a lot of the scenes are set up to just be scary, and don't contribute to an overarching series of set up and payoff. All of this means that defining a "power" is not easy, because there isn't an established clear ruleset for Kayako we can draw from.

Ringu however focuses on the 7 day time limit and the mystery of Sadako and the twisted faces of the victims, giving us an immediate framing that there are rules in play, all of which feeds into her power in the game. A big portion of the film is the slow reveal of Sadako's fate, how her power works, and she remains the sole focus and antagonist of the film. This makes Ringu much slower paced and subtle, and actually the film doesn't have many scares... agsin its personsl taste which you prefer... However when we finally see the wrath of Sadako in full effect, it feels as though she is unstoppable, swift and brutal in your execution, but again importantly, there are rules in play to build our power off of.

I can imagine Kayako having some pretty cool powers using her hair as a weapon, as she used it to strangle Takeo, but you're gonna have a hard time visually distinguishing her from Sadako when so many traits are similar in how they look, manifest, and move, and unlike Sadako don't have a clear framework to draw upon.

Post edited by UndeddJester on
  • board24jason123

Kayakos appearance look way different here she has bangs with a bloody face and body and she was wrapped in a clear plastic bag which could be part of her appearance in dead by daylight