The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Pay2Win

Galire
Galire Member Posts: 8

Why are licensed killers still locked behind a paywall? Surely in terms of like Freddy, Pig, Myers etc BHRV have gotten more then their fair share from it. Why don't they become Iri shard payments after like a year or so? Is it just corporate greed?

You've locked potentially some of the best perks behind a pay wall where if you want to have a competitive edge in the game (which you do because the play base in toxic af).

Shrine of Secrets isn't even a good excuse anymore because you still only put 4 perks in a week and there are so many more killers and perks then when it was added.

Answers

• Langweilg
    Langweilg Member Posts: 777
    edited August 5

In Fortnite you can earn V-Bucks by playing their second gamemode and then you can buy licensed skins for free.

• Khastrx
    Khastrx Member Posts: 125

Yes Save The World, that you need to spend actual money to purchase to play, it's not free. And V-bucks is still a premium currency, thus my question continues unanswered exactly as it was worded.

• Ayodam
    Ayodam Member Posts: 2,811

Myers isn’t weak, he can bypass all hook states to insta-kill survivors. As long as that true calling him weak is super disingenuous. Pig is a lot better after her buffs. Not S-tier, but not weak. Krueger is weak imo but apparently he does well at low MMR.

• HexHuntressThighs
    HexHuntressThighs Member Posts: 1,243

It’s $5 and you don’t have to buy it…

• DredgeyEdgey
    DredgeyEdgey Member Posts: 1,373

Not pig but Freddy and Myers yeah

TThat's Whey their gonna nerf pig again. Somehow

• GentlemanFridge
    GentlemanFridge Member Posts: 5,552
    edited August 5

You say this as if all Myers are running Tombstone/Piece. I don’t think using two of the most unique add-ons in the entire game as a measure of Myers’ strength is entirely fair either.
    If you use that as a standard, you gotta consider all other killers using their strongest add-ons as well. I was not.
    Besides, Tombstone Myers falls off hard once you actually start facing better opponents. Tombstone piece is just bs, we all know this. Again, using 1 add-on as a standard of Myers’ strength actually seems disingenuous to me.

P2W implies that it’s signficantly easier to win using x obtained by real money, opposed to y available at base. Speaking solely of the killers themselves, that’s impossible in DbD, since Nurse comes with the base game. You’re not gonna win harder just because you’re playing Pig. That was the whole point.
    There’s a different discussion when it comes to perks, but that wasn’t the point of my joke*

TLDR; it ain’t that deep.

• Atsuka_Anarchy
    Atsuka_Anarchy Member Posts: 377

Aaaay… you keep Pig out of all this! She’s been through enough already.

• Marc_123
    Marc_123 Member Posts: 3,499

They have to pay the license holder real money - so it will never be free with ingame currency.

Wait for a sale where the older ones are 50% off.

But yeah - this game can get expensive over time.

• Hunkulese
    Hunkulese Member Posts: 422

Myers is weak against everyone except survivors who don't understand the game. It's extremely difficult to even get two kills against competent survivors using tombstone.

• Prometheus1092
    Prometheus1092 Member Posts: 218

I'm confused, doesn't the game have a hidden MRR? If so how long does someone have to regularly get 3/4k to get to a point where they go against "competent survivors"? Because I been playing Myers for years and I regularly get 3/4k with him against survivor mains that have been playing the game from day 1. Usually double iri, play with your food (to counter the speed drop from tombstone) trail of torment, tinkerer and nowhere to hide. I'm regularly sneaking up behind people and mori them. (Yes I have perks from other killers but Myers as a killer when used correctly is extremely good.)

• Galire

At this point SoS is a bit of a joke. You get a choice of 2 perks on each side a week. There is well over 100 perks for each side.

• Galire

DBD is already a paid game, and holding incredibly useful and game changing perks and abilities behind a paywall is a bit of a joke

• Galire

Wesker, Cenobite and Chucky are all solid killers. You've also not thought about perks. Hex: Plaything, Lethal Pursuer and BBQ and Chili are all strong perks and are run by majority of killers (that i come across at least)

• Galire

Leatherface has an immediate insta down mechanic without having to work for it. Plus a lot of the best perks in the game are either locked behind a paywall or you have to wait for lady luck to be on your side which is a bit of a joke. You get 2 killer perks every week. With over 100 perks on each side, statistically you have the chance to wait over a YEAR to get a single perk

• Galire

Saying that you have to pay for Save the World is a weak argument as you have to pay for DBD too. So you actually have to doubly pay for the licensed content in it. The fact remains you can get V-bucks for free or by buying them (crazily enough, so are Iri shards) thus allowing you to get the licensed content for free.

• Khastrx
    Khastrx Member Posts: 125
  • Ayodam
    Ayodam Member Posts: 2,811
    edited August 7

It doesn’t really matter if players capitalize on Myers’ iridescent add-ons; what’s relevant is that these extremely powerful tools exist. They define his full capacity for strength and don’t even require much skill to use. So yes we should heavily consider them when discussing his strength because they matter in that regard. Other killers have strong add-ons as well but Myers’ are the strongest in the game by a longshot.

As for whatever you’re implying about MMR, I don’t know what his stats are when he’s facing 4% of the player base (and neither do you for that matter), but he performs well it seems at every other level as he does not have the lowest kill rate in this game. In fact IIRC, he isn’t even among the bottom 5 killers with the lowest kill rates. He actually beats out quite a few killers who have better kits. So for whatever reason he’s able to hold his own as a solid, mid-tier killer.

I understand killers being p2w but the strongest killers (add-ons notwithstanding) are in fact free, and all perks eventually end up available through in-game currency anyway.

I don’t really care about that though. I just had to pushback against this weird perception that Myers is weak. He’s not.

• GentlemanFridge
    GentlemanFridge Member Posts: 5,552

Firstly, I must say we’re taking what I thought was a simple birdpost very seriously.

Second, I can’t justify calling Myers strong when his “full capacity” is limited to an add-on. And is unique to said add-on. That just doesn’t make sense to me.
    Tombstone/Piece Myers may as well be considered a whole killer of his own with the sheer jump in strength it gives him, yes. But that also means that, without it, he’s nowhere near that same strength.

When talking about Huntress’ strength, we don’t assume she’s running Iri Heads. When talking about Clown, we don’t assume he’s running Pinky Finger. Why, then, does the discussion about Myers assume he’s running Tombstone/Piece?

As for the “better opponents” thing, I can obviously only speak of my own experience. Nevertheless, I’ve found that Tombstone Myers (by which I mean double iri’s specifically) gets really inconsistent once he starts facing opponents that know how to deny stalk as long as possible. That’s not even a “high MMR” thing. Lord knows I’m not “high MMR”. Or maybe I am, who knows.

Tombstone PIECE Myers is entirely too strong, that we all know. But it’s only with that add-on that Myers gets stupidly strong. Again, without it, Myers doesn’t come close to the same strength. So then it’s the add-on that’s winning the game, and thus P2W. Not so much Myers himself. On that I think we are in agreement. But, like I said, I just can’t justify calling Myers strong when that requires him running very specific, very unique add-ons.

• Unknown2765
    Unknown2765 Member Posts: 2,216

Really, would you wait over a year to get your perk from there? That's how long the rotation can take. Plus, not all perks have even made it to the Shrine. So, that argument doesn’t hold up.

• dwight444
    dwight444 Member Posts: 339

it's $5 man c'mon

it's a luxury not a necessity

want the killer? buy it. don't want to spend the money? don't buy it

• Kerkvlerk
    Kerkvlerk Member Posts: 68
    edited August 7

Its around 5 euros every 3 months. If you really cannot spend 5 euros every 3 months on a game you like and probably have played for 100s or 1000s of hours you should not be playin this in my opinion…

Event the riftpass is 10 euros and i have been playing with those 10 euros for over 4 years now because you get your money back.

With the anniversary in the shrine (1,5 months ago)

Flashbang, Reassurance, Blastmine, Dead mans switch, Devour hope, Floods of rage, boil over, Eruption, nowhere to hide, background player, bloodwarden, pain res, windows, plaything, pentimento, DS. and allot more.

• squib_guy
    squib_guy Member Posts: 17

I can't think of any three killers that would've been worse to bring up for a "licensed killers are p2w" than Freddy, Pig and Myers