is it me or is the 2v1 situation getting insufferable?

deckyr
deckyr Member Posts: 795
edited August 7 in General Discussions

lately, the absolute worst games of dbd have been games that end up in a 2v1 situation.

after two survivors are dead, and you have two survivors alive with a killer. all three people in this situation want to win, so what is the best option for each?

for the survivors, it's to wait for your teammate to die. for the killer, it's to keep patrolling the generators to make sure they don't get done.

the objective of the survivor team has changed, and now the killer has no information and almost no relevance to the actual game at hand any more. the killer has nothing to do and no information to act upon unless they either have a perk to help them or one of the survivors gives up.

and then, when one of the survivors actually is downed… well, if you kill that survivor, the hatch will spawn and the last one might get out. so for as long as there is one survivor on the floor, the remaining survivor and the killer are playing the same game: hide and seek. except there's someone on the floor, having been taken hostage.

a lot of developer time was spent dealing with things like camping and tunnelling. but when will the developers start considering the problem of the 2v1 situation? when the priorities of the survivors shift, and the game becomes extremely boring?

what would you do to address this, if you were a developer?

i think i would make it so that, in the 2v1 situation, the survivors start to build up idle crows any time they aren't on a generator, and putting one of the survivors into the dying state immediately triggers the mori animation on that survivor.

i would then adjust all achievements and archives that require 4 kills to only require 3 kills.

no more hide and seek, please. no more slugging for the 4k, please. i want to play the video game and i cannot stand it when i am taken hostage by survivors that don't want to show themselves, or by killers that don't want to give up their 4k.

Comments

• Sarrif
    Sarrif Member Posts: 192

Yeah it's what I've been saying for awhile now. There needs to either be a catch up mechanic or alternate win condition when it's a 2v1

• bornagain234
    bornagain234 Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 336

I cant wait for it to be over.

As survivor none of my team does gens.

As killer, gens go so fast we cant keep up. as killer I wish they had 10 to do, as survivor I wish we only had to do 4.

• drsoontm
    drsoontm Member Posts: 4,584

I get these situations from time to time.

Suddenly there are only 2 survivors left and 2 gens to be done.

Nothing happens for a couple of minutes then a courageous one decides to work on a gen.

Usually I leave him alone and find the other one and kill him. The courageous one gets the hatch.

I've yet to have a game with two cowards.

A solution implemented by the defunct VHS was that if no interaction happens between the killer and the survivor (monster and teens in that case) for about a minute, then they would see each other's position until something happens.A minute may be short but something like that could be implemented.

• CountOfTheFog
    CountOfTheFog Member Posts: 2,149

I think Killer Instinct should activate in intermittent intervals, decreasing as time goes on.

For example, three minutes after the second Survivor dies, Killer Instinct activates. Then two minutes later it activates again and so on....

• NerfDHalready
    NerfDHalready Member Posts: 1,724

i'm against survivors insta dying on the ground to prevent slugging for 4k. killer is entitled to their 4k just as the last survivor is to hiding to get hatch. i might be #1 hatch hater so removing it would be my way to go and if not improving afk crows could work as well. if there is no progress being made on any generator at all, all remaining survivors start to get afk crows.

• MrPenguin
    MrPenguin Member Posts: 2,425
    edited August 7

Getting? it always has been. It sucks for both sides.

Trying to change it though has players (survivor mains) clamoring that "you just want a 4K" or some such nonsense. So you need to be careful with how you do it and make sure they get something from it as well.

The previous suggestion about the 3rd survivor just getting moried coupled with a detection system after a long period of no chase happening could work imo.

The problem with tying the detection to gens is survivors will just wait until you check a gen and leave, work on it for 2 seconds then hide again to refresh their timer. Tying it to chase ensures that something happens to move the game forward.

Ensuring hatch will spawn and the survivors get found. Survivors can't whine about their pity escape being taken, slugging for the 4K is addressed, and the match doesn't take ages just because 2 survivors died.

• crogers271
    crogers271 Member Posts: 1,715
    edited August 8

I've always thought one of the main problems with DbD is that when the game heavily turns in the killer's favor it gets very boring and can also take a long time. Solutions however are more difficult.

I feel like idle crows would be fine, but not necessarily solve things. It's not that hard to touch a gen and then stealth. I've also been in situations where I haven't touched a gen for awhile in a 2v1 and it doesn't have anything to do with hiding: I and the other survivor (soloq) looking for each other to heal up so one of us can take chase and the other to work on the gen.

I go back and forth on whether a 'mercy' rule would be good for the game. That would be if the killer gets far enough ahead, the game just ends. It would feel wrong given the game's theme, and there inevitably would be situations where the killer gets a win where the survivors still felt like they could come back, but it would definitely speed up pointless games.

It's kind of like your auto mori in a 2v1 scenario after a down. 90, 95% of games where that happens I suspect the auto-mori improves the game. But the other games you probably have complaints 'we just about had a gen finished, the downed survivor had deliverance and unbreakable, we still could have gotten a two man out!'

You also have two other scenarios: newer players might not understand why the killer gets an 'advantage' and it just feels lopsided, and there may be killer players who prefer to play it out (which baffles me greatly, but I have encountered players who want that before).

Agree with you that it's a problem. If I was developing the game just for myself, I put in a mercy mechanic where after a survivor is killed the game looks at total gen progress and if it is below a certain number, the killer wins and the game ends. But that would just be for me, not sure how popular that would be with the overall game community.

Edit to add: Looking back at the title wanted to add this doesn't seem to be any more frequent. It's not a common occurrence, but does happen enough that it does hamper enjoyment of the game.

• Prometheus1092
    Prometheus1092 Member Posts: 227

Slug em....slug em both if it takes a long time to find them then they wouldn't mind spending a long time slugged.

• NerfDHalready

It's not that hard to touch a gen and then stealth.

they can just make it require a big enough amount of progress to avoid crows so a single tap wouldn't work, and that progress would be shared across all alive survivors.

• danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 9,090

Hatch is a bad mechanic. Look at how most 2v8 matches end. What they need to do is have a "closing out the match" mechanic that's in the killer's favor, not the survivors'. It's the only way. Why is the killer holding the game hostage and issue, but survivors doing that is par for the course once it's down to 2 people? Why do survivors need a free escape, but it's "unfair" that the killer can close it? All the explanations are feelings-based, not logic-based. Hence the soon-to-be hidden prestige update.

So remove hatch. If the survivors don't progress their objective, show their aura, even through lockers. Survivors being able to "juke" and hide from killers all the time (because of bad sounds and scratch marks), to reset for free, has been taken for granted. The survivors need to face risk to escape, which means doing their objective (gens), or else they don't get out at all. Not just playing hide and seek forever. Under both the current system and this new system, I'd ask both survivors to keep playing despite the odds.

The myth that it's impossible to do the last 1-2 gens once it's down to 2 survivors has been debunked. It's not always gonna happen, but if what lot's of people are saying is correct that, "I can loop plenty, but I lose because my teammates can't" then now's your time to shine. Loop the killer for like a minute, minute and 1/2, and assuming you or your teammate have 1 or more hook states to give before you die, that's almost 2 gens done. The killer can't be at a gen, at a hook, and chase you both at the same time, so they lose the war of attrition just like they would in the 1v4. If all else fails, you practiced your looping. And that's what the average survivor in this game needs: an incentive to get better. Buffing survivor over and over is never gonna bring solo close to swf level. To improve, the survivors need threat, which current killer isn't consistent in because they're either sweating their butts off to get a draw match, or they win and the lucky 4th survivor escapes anyway cuz hatch.

• VantablackPharaoh91
    VantablackPharaoh91 Member Posts: 580

I think… this is another part of why Distortion is being changed. Ratting like this isn't okay.

• Slan
    Slan Member Posts: 306

Seems to be right. When 2 survivors have died and there are plenty of generators still to be repaired things like this do happen, although there are sometimes things are quite different. The idyllic course of action for survivors would be using one of them as bait to keep the killer on a chase while the other repairs. However you heavily rely on the skills of the bait, which could be counterproductive if they are not that good in chase. And if the killer refuses to chase you can start repairing and fleeing as soon as the killer's comming, expecially now that there is a limit of kicks a killer can use on each generator. I know these strategies can lead to certainly tedious games but they can work just fine

• crogers271
    crogers271 Member Posts: 1,715

Maybe there is a perfect amount of time for touching a gen, but it seems like if it is too small its pointless, if its too long the survivors feel stuck on the gens and there's no point.

On the second part, why share it across all survivors? That just becomes a game of chicken where first survivor to do a gen loses.

• hermitkermit
    hermitkermit Member Posts: 331

This does feel like a tricky problem. On one hand, playing hide and seek can feel really boring and can be frustrating to deal with and can feel unfair. On the other, survivors currently don’t have much of a comeback system in play at all, so to expect them to be able to complete a game that was designed for 4 with only 2 also feels frustrating and unfair. And more often than not if a killer finds you on a gen in this end game scenario, they will just kill you. They're not going to be looking for your teammate who is hiding out so it’s not as if you get any kind of incentive to try and complete the gens when hiding is rewarded more so than not.

As it stands right now it’s like a lose-lose for everyone. It reminds me of a Michael waiting to insta kill that last survivor who is in a locker. Neither is wrong in my opinion, the one who wants to die vs the one who wants to kill. I believe that it was not considered taking the game hostage as either player has the power to end it, it’s just a matter of stubbornness.

Im not disagreeing that something can be done to improve these end games, but I don’t think it’s wrong for either side to stay in the game.

• Sngfun
    Sngfun Member Posts: 225

You know how I deal with it?

I choose to be the bigger survivor and I simply make a loud noise notification so the killer chases me.

I will die and the other survivor gets to attempt to escape, and I get what I play survivor for: chases.

Try it next time, it will be way more exiting that waiting for the other guy to die

• deckyr
    deckyr Member Posts: 795

i wish you were in all my lobbies, but alas, i have been held hostage by survivors several times because neither one wants to die.

• Sngfun
    Sngfun Member Posts: 225

It depends on what you play survivor for

I judge the quality of my matches based on how many chases I get

so naturally I find getting chased more fun than waiting

make the choice next time, and then ask yourself the following question:

Was getting chased more fun? or would it have been more fun staying out of sight?

• NerfDHalready

i have no idea what the ideal amount would be but it definitely shouldn't be too small

it would be shared so a survivor hiding from a nearby killer wouldn't get crows while other survivor is doing their gen without any killer attention. it would just be stealthing and doing gens as people normally do.

• WolfyWood
    WolfyWood Member Posts: 451

The path of least resistance would be making a killer-sided mechanic that forces interaction. But this is literally only because it's a common opinion that killers are entitled to getting a 4k.

If hatch opened at two survivors left for one of them, it would solve the problem of hiding but then 4k's would be a lot less common.

As I see it, they have three options:

1. Put in the killer favored mechanic and hope survivors suck it up.
    2. Put in the effort to make a unique mechanic that'd lead to more pity escapes.
    3. Do nothing.

It makes sense why nothing has been done. it's not an easy choice.

• AmpersandUnderscore
    AmpersandUnderscore Member Posts: 1,665

The major problem with a mechanic like this is slugging for the 4k.

In that situation, you have 2v1, and there's a fairly long time where it's completely unreasonable to expect the last survivor to touch a gen. In the most extended scenario, where the last survivor standing is actually successful in hiding, there's 4 minutes for the other survivor to bleed out, a minute or two of hatch searching, and potentially another 2 minutes of EGC.

So, the game mechanics account for about 8-9 minutes of not touching gens as normal gameplay.

If you're going to just give away the survivors' position, just cut to the chase: the entity just eats everyone like EGC and the killer gets a free 4k if 2 survivors and any number of gens remain. That's really the end goal here anyway, if we're being honest.

• danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 9,090

Not having hatch, and instead giving killer aura reads, means they've simply got to try instead of waiting for their teammate to be killed. Hiding is just non-gameplay. And it's not hopeless either. Try and loop the killer for the last 1-2 gens. It might not work, but you can play as safe as you need since you no longer have to save pallets for teammates or avoid creating deadzones. You can just go all-out in chase, and the killer might not even be playing to his full potential since he thinks he's gonna win, the last gen gets done and then at least one of you is out. That would be the same result as a hatch escape, but it wasn't just a free jump in.

• Rovend
    Rovend Member Posts: 1,063

Not having hatch and instead giving killer aura reads means that 99% of matches in which the killer gets a 2k with +1gen remainging will be an unavoidable 4k, unless the killer is outright trolling or let them go on purpose.

This would force BHVR to heavily nerf all killers so that getting a 2k would be as hard as current 4k.

• NerfDHalready

these suggestions are being made to combat 2v1 hide and seek part of the game and that's not possible if you try to align it with the needs of a ratting survivor because killer will just slug for 4k unless they are given a reason not to, so the problem will remain unsolved

• Princesse_nico
    Princesse_nico Member Posts: 138
    edited August 8

On my part, i dont mind facing an inevitable death. But sometimes, im surprised how long i can survive a chase against 2 killers. Dont forget that theres like infinite pallet. Its like maps are pallet land

• 100PercentBPMain
    100PercentBPMain Member Posts: 816

Sad fact is,nobody wants to volunteer to eat dirt because we all know the killer will never kill survivor #3....you will 100% be slugged so you may as well just play until the server closes and hope your team mate dies.

The only thing that gives a survivor confidence to volunteer to be the slug is when there is a far off exponential in play. Can't fault anybody for not wanting to be slugged, because what PC players don't understand is that console players can't just tab out

• Ailien23
    Ailien23 Member Posts: 1

I think that the best option would be to give survivors a percentage speed boost on gens when there are only 2 of them left because as a survivor trying to continue the game, it sucks equally. If they aren't doing gens, healing, cleaning totems, then they get crows 65% faster. Actions that would make you functionally AFK in game like crouching around the map, hiding in lockers, etc. To remove the crows, you need to perform a relevant function (do a gen, heal another survivor, take chase, for an allotted amount of time or be downed by killer.)

• elpumpkinttv
    elpumpkinttv Member Posts: 10

If survivors are hiding and doing nothing in that case I would suggest probably make it so crows show up like 50% faster so at least people are forced to eventually at least walk away whatever hiding spot they are camping. For the survivors let's say that there is 2 survivors left and say still 2 gens left. Or even 3 survivors left because one person died at the start of the game. I would give survivors extra 20% repairing speed and make it so the person on the hook can stay on the hook 10 seconds longer or something like that. If a survivor dies early game the killer usually wins and what ends up happening is one survivor will be on a gen, one gets chased and the other one is already on the hook doing nothing. If the killer downs the other survivor the one survivor on gen has to stop repairing and go to save the person on the hook and there is no time to do gens anymore. Not that these changes would make much difference but it's just an example like give survivors something in 3v1 or 2v1 scenarios

• Neaxolotl
    Neaxolotl Member Posts: 1,477

2k with 1 gen remaining is already an unavoidable 4k unless the killer is outright trolling, I don't see any of the your point

• Neaxolotl

So survivors know they are completely utterly 100% lost and starts hiding to get "last one awards", which doesn't counts as win for most purpose, I wouldn't call that a comeback mechanics even

I don't even understand the point in giving comeback from literally every situation in PvP games, ultimately why don't we just remove any of the skill expression and make everything pure RNG, we will absolutely have "comeback" from whatever situation in that kind of games

And no, we don't even know if they actually counts hatch escape as escape for their balancing purpose, so "killers will be nerfed" is moot point

• Neaxolotl
    edited August 9

That'll certainly speed up each matches without doubt, and it really wouldn't change the actual outcome anyway

even though I like hide'n'seek with plenty of time at the end there is fair amount of players who hates 4k slug or existence of hatches, so it would be win win for either sides, kinda

I'd say just sacrifice everyone at that point but whatsoever

• Rovend
    Rovend Member Posts: 1,063

Then, as i said before, if the outcome wont change and a 2k will lead to a 4k in the majority of games, not only will be a spike in people giving up but also the devs will be forced to balance the game around killers achieving a 2k 60% of times. This can only be done by nerfing killers heavily.

And for the record, Hatch escapes do count as escape in the kill rates.