The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Removal of prestige level in lobbies makes prestige feel meaningless now

I_Cant_Loop
I_Cant_Loop Member Posts: 353
edited August 28 in Feedback and Suggestions

Title

I understand why it was done (to reduce lobby dodging), but not having it show in the lobby now I feel no reward whatsoever from leveling up a character and it feels pointless to me. I don't even think about it anymore now that the only time I see it is for a brief few seconds in a post-game lobby.

Anyone else feel this way?

Post edited by EQWashu on

Comments

• Choaron
    Choaron Member Posts: 317

The real "meaning" of prestiging is the grind becoming a lot better once you reach 100 anyway.

• Hex_Ignored
    Hex_Ignored Member Posts: 1,844

As others have already stated, killers always had to wait until post game to "show off" their prestige.

Showing in the pre game lobby was exclusively used to lobby shop.

• VomitMommy
    VomitMommy Member Posts: 2,259

It always had low value. Main benefit is flex in endgame.

Survivors have exactly same benefit from it as killer, but won't get punished for showing it in lobby.

I think it's a good change.

• Chocolate_Cosmos
    Chocolate_Cosmos Member Posts: 5,736

Good, because it was always meaningless.

• NerfDHalready
    NerfDHalready Member Posts: 1,717

it should be optional.

• ChuckingWong
    ChuckingWong Member Posts: 350

The biggest problem with this crap, and I have already seen it now a few times.

People are spamming trying to get their adepts now, where I would recognize a p0 in a lobby and gtfo now Im held hostage by them.

Davids loading in with GOOD OL' NO MITHER, and guess how long they last in chase?

The obvious Alucards crouch hiding around the map, waiting for everyone to die….

This was a mistake BHVR

• CountOfTheFog
    CountOfTheFog Member Posts: 2,132

This was not a mistake. The mistake was implementing Adept Challenges which get everyone killed 99% of the time.

• I_Cant_Loop
    I_Cant_Loop Member Posts: 353

Seems like most people are happy with this change and agree it is a net positive for the game. I agree with the points about making it easier for P100 players to use their characters without having to wait while killer after killer dodges. Thanks for the input, everyone!

• GonnaBlameTheMovies
    GonnaBlameTheMovies Member Posts: 665
    edited August 29

It sounds like you are probably the exact kind of person this change was trying to address then.

Lobby dodging because of prestige, either side, was trashy and ruined MMR. You are not entitled to easier games by dodging. You are also not entitled to decide who the MMR pairs you with based on a little number that shows how many BP have been invested in that character. You are not entitled to dodge someone who simply wants to do their goals and happens to be SoloQ, if you want a more tailored experience there is SWF for that. These players deserve a game, too. If they are in your lobby, they are in your MMR bracket. Period.

• ChuckingWong
    edited August 29

No I disagree I dont deserve, and my teammates dont deserve, to get held hostage in a game with someone whos just going to abandon the entire team so they can get whatever stupid challenge/archive/achievement.

Gameplay first. And systems need to be put in place to combat crap like this:

If someone is going to load in with a key, and I see this kind of crap in the end game? That means the match was decided before it even began. Same with some David trying to no mither adept achievment as well. They are not entitled to ruin normal gameplay so they can get some off beat bullshit achievement, ruining everyone elses experience in the process.

Period.

• GonnaBlameTheMovies
    edited August 29

What's the matter, Sable was just going for the hatch achievement where you have to open it with a key. There is nothing wrong with going for an achievement this way. In fact her being anonymous probably saved her from abuse at the hands of people who, like you, seem to believe that everyone has to always play optimal all the time or they're a problem. The thing is… those people are intended by the game, though. They're genuinely not a problem… but the entitlement of being mad they play that way sure is a problem, and it ruins the game with elitism.

Maybe this isn't the game for you if you don't ever want random teammates to play any other way besides the way you want them to. Or maybe you should just run a 4 man SWF exclusively. I don't know what to tell you, but the fact is people are allowed to play suboptimally. You will sometimes get them in your lobbies. You alongside everyone else that has this happen to them need to be mature and skilled enough to allow them to do this, then move on to the next game.

Not a soul is actually holding anyone hostage over an adept. You can't hold someone hostage while also going for adept. You can throw for hatch going for an adept, but you can't hold someone hostage in a round. That simply does not happen, it's never happened, and I am inclined to believe you're actually just angry you're losing because someone is trying for an adept with less than optimal perks. The proper play if you see someone doing an adept when you're in a SWF especially is to… protect them and ensure they can get out so they get their adept. Use teamwork instead of prioritizing only your wins, wow! It's that simple. :)

No matter how annoying it is, the fact is that not a single shred of anything you just said is any good reason to say we need prestiges to show in the lobbies again when the benefits of not having prestiges in the lobby greatly outweigh any downsides. "I don't deserve to lose because my teammate wants to play a different way than me" is a really, really entitled take. Because it implies you believe you are entitled to a win. Nobody's entitled to win.

• Twinblades713
    Twinblades713 Member Posts: 8

I was gonna make a new post (and may still do so) but I agree with you entirely. Prestige level means nothing now.

I've also noticed there is much less parity in games now. As we all know, DBD's matchmaking system is absolutely dogwater tier garbage. The issue that now arises, is I don't know if I'm going against a team of sweats or a newb team. I just went against 3 disgustingly sweaty tryhard teams (which is fine) while I was trying out new killers. Then I somehow get on my main killer who I'm experienced with and go SUPER hard because now I expect everyone to be just godlike survivors, and end up slaughtering helpless newbs who probably aren't even SWF. So BHVR needs desperately to either a) make their matchmaking system work b) create a normal/quick play and a ranked queue or c) Bring back prestige levels so I know how to play against the team I'm looking at in lobby.

"But if you see lots of P100s you'll dodge." So? Some killers want the challenge and want to tryhard to beat experienced teams. Sometimes I'm trying a brand new killer and get matched against methuzelah who's been playing this game for 1400 years. Since the matchmaking is so loose and everyone gets queues in seconds to minutes anyway, who cares about dodging? It's not even ranked.

• ChuckingWong
    edited August 29

Thats not what happened though. Do I have to stream more proof of this bs of an excuse you are attempting to create for them?

I run the perk kindred. Guess what this player was doing all game everytime someone was hooked? Waiting in basement walking around, or in a locker.

Not progressing generators

Not saving anyone

Not healing anyone.

I wont say specifically how they did not escape, but lets just say someone made sure they didnt get to do what they attempting to do. Everyone in end game chat knew what this person was trying to do.

And if the persons name was there I would have blacked the thing out, stop making excuses for this.

• Twinblades713
    Twinblades713 Member Posts: 8

I have no issue believing you. I've seen this twice, just today. It's not rare, and the worst part is it makes me want to play the SAME WAY. If you're going to be useless, then I acknowledge I have no chance to win, so I'm going to also either give up and let the killer kill me, or hide. Trying my best produces the same results anyway - killer will find me on a gen and I die, then the leech gets to look for hatch. Have enough of this in one night and I end up just running my own hatch builds, and the problem proliferates.

• ChuckingWong
    edited August 29

Does it necessarily correlate to someones prestige? No but..

christ.

At least I had something to go off when I see a p0 or p1-3 in my lobby and a key in their hand.

Here I just got lucky enough to spot them last second swap in the lobby.

Again prestige isnt everything I get it, but we need information like the example I gave or SOMETHING so you arent put into a match where you would actually PREFER to have a bot on your team.

You are entitled to 4 people on your team. Not 3 and a person hiding in basement all round.

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 7,130

This problem is separate from showing prestige. Showing more information in the lobby is also not the solution. We need fewer people lobby dodging. Lobby dodging ruins the match for the people left in the lobby and for the person who fills the empty slot.

The problem is the game's design. I have never played any other game where not playing was considered a playstyle by a large number of its players. Players shouldn't be able to spend all match doing nothing but hiding. I have been complaining about this for years, that multiple times a day I get teammates who do nothing but hide from moment one. Lobby dodging is not the answer. The devs need to fix the game so survivors have to participate.

• ChuckingWong

I feel like you arent understanding the macro of this decision though and thinking only about the lobby dodge. This creates more problems then solves.

What will happen now, and is happening, is more people giving up. A problem that is already large enough to begin with.

Load into a game with someone lasting 4 seconds in chase, where you would recognize that happening because they are 0 prestige?

Too bad you get stuck with someone that has p0 or only their teachables.

Load into a game with an Adept David? I guarantee the first time he gets downed hes giving up on hook, or someone else is, OR BOTH!. (Which happened today, so wonderful)

Or the example i gave with sable above.

I would beable to spot this crap in the lobby and get out of there.

I dont want to play with them though. And I am entitled to actual teammates.

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 7,130

But prestige has nothing to do with skill. I have a ton of low prestige survivors (I used to have no-prestige survivors before cross-progression) and also some who are in the 30s. I don't play differently depending on which character I choose.

Lobby dodging means the person who gets put into the lobby to fill the new empty spot doesn't belong there. The three survivors remaining, the new survivor, and the killer all are now going to experience a worse match for it. One or more of the survivors may give up. The person who dodged for their singular gain has possibly ruined the experience for five people.

If people do not lobby dodge and we let matchmaking work as intended, then hopefully matches will have better matchmaking and people's MMR will adjust properly so they're in matches more suited to their skill level. When people pick and choose their matches, it breaks the matchmaking. If matchmaking does have problems that need fixing, it will be easier for the devs to locate those problems if people in the match are all actually in the same MMR bracket.

What will happen now, and is happening, is more people giving up. A problem that is already large enough to begin with.

People have been giving up in the game a lot, there have been numerous threads about it, and those threads started before the new patch with prestiges hidden went live. I haven't seen any sort of increase since the update. Hell, it was really bad the last few weeks; I think I actually experienced fewer quitters yesterday and today.

• ppmd
    ppmd Member Posts: 105

Survivors can give up regardless of how the killer plays.

A lot of these complaints about teammates/wanting or not wanting to sweat can be solved with improved matchmaking, which is unrelated to prestige(outside of lobby dodging, which this helps).

Giving killers extra information in the pre-game lobby isn't something we have to do.

Being worried about sweat is silly since we've seen plenty of posts about both sides doing it a lot, no?

If one is worried about having a game they aren't able to easily win, then that is a matter of practice and learning and this change will help allow that to happen where it might have been avoided before.

• ChuckingWong

Im not saying its a 100% tell on skill and prestige but the margin for error is so much lower on higher prestige survivors than the margin of error on lower prestige ones. You have an extremely decent chance of guessing skill level on a p0 versus a p40.

I just believe taking it away just because "lobby dodge" is a silly way that ignores too many issues, like the ones I highlighted, to justify its implementation. Many things needed to happen side by side this change for it to even be reasonable to do.

But sadly that didnt happen and we get stuck with the examples that I listed above.

• GonnaBlameTheMovies

But don't we have SWFing to solve this? You don't have to play with these people. Grab three friends. There's many places online to find groups, from Discord to Reddit to streamer communities.

• Katie81
    Katie81 Member Posts: 8

i agree too. i deleted the game and wont play now since its clear devs like to FORCE there beliefs on us that pay there ######### wages. wont be back…….

• NarkoTri1er
    NarkoTri1er Member Posts: 251

don't worry, there are also many P100s that can't last 2s in chase lol.

Jokes aside, i think prestige system definitely needs a heavy rework in order to actually be based on skill rather than just farming and spending BPs

• ChuckingWong

Oh yeah for sure. I got two p100 survs by spamming legion never sleep pills during aniversary.