We have temporarily disabled Firecrackers and the Flashbang Perk due to a bug which could cause the Killer's game to crash. These will be re-enabled in an upcoming patch when the issue is resolved.

100% survivor bonus at night, i think this role is cooked

ratcoffee
ratcoffee Member Posts: 1,400
edited August 31 in General Discussions

i typically play whatever role has the BP bonus, and that tends to be survivor during the day and killer at night. i have a job where i wake up just after midnight & get out at noon, and this usually gives me time to play during daytime hours. however, because of seasonal changes in my work schedule i'm playing at the nighttime more often and i've noticed that the past few days the bonus for survivors has persisted into the night, at least for my region (gmt-5, north america east)

if the player imbalance is so bad that there are not enough survivors to fill games even at peak survivor hours, i seriously fear for the future of this game. this is just a preliminary analysis so i certainly hope people keep playing both roles and i get chances to be on either side to a balanced degree, but a first investigation being this one-sided is at the very least unideal for the future of the game

Comments

• crogers271
    crogers271 Member Posts: 1,759

As a US West player, this is pretty much my experience. I some time play late at night / early morning and I've never seen anything but survivor bonus.

This has been true for me since the bonus was introduced, it's pretty much always survivor. Sometimes in the evening its killer, but that usually doesn't last long.

• steezo_de
    steezo_de Member Posts: 1,204

Yeah. It's getting harder to consistently field a group of guys to play. During 2v8, usually there were at least 8 that would be on, then when we played the PTB, nothing really grabbed us. There are a few survivor builds that are fun, like evolving the flashlight and aura builds, but… well anyway, it's been a pretty tepid release and while we still play, there are only 2-4 willing to play DBD every night. And even then we split between R6 Siege or CS. Since I came back we only did a few all night sessions in DBD. Solo or duo survivor is out of the question, and playing killer is kind of a joke, so I hope that lights out mode will be good because I missed it last time… although I'm not all too excited about it since my friends didn't have nice things to say about it. Haha.

It's sad, because I came back hoping it would be more of the same ol', but it's definitely not— mainly because most of my DBD friends have moved on. 2v8 duo killers was a lot of fun. I hope they bring that back.

• IamFran
    IamFran Member Posts: 1,616
    edited August 31

I'm playing very little lately, because I'm in a break (playing other games), but In the past few days I entered at night three times and the bonus was for killers (Europe here). At night there are a lack of killers because everyone has left the work and are playing with their friends after dinner, In GMT+1, between 20:00 and 00:00 is the better time for playing killer, usually the killer bonus lasts those four hours, sometimes starts earlier and ends later specially at weekends.

• HexHuntressThighs
    HexHuntressThighs Member Posts: 1,243

3 Decent Killer updates, Brand New Killer = Survivor bonus. But even then it’s region dependent. For me it’s still a 100% killer bonus every night.

• UndeddJester
    UndeddJester Member Posts: 3,117

Skull Merchant, new achievements/trophies for grabbing survivors during vaults, so Skully is not a bad should for that.

I've also seen a fair amount of Nemesis, Dredge and Knight.

• Akumakaji
    Akumakaji Member Posts: 5,253

There were some times when killer was nearly constantly +100%, besides during the school hours. Before 6.1 survivors were at their strongest and playing killer felt so masochistically and an uphill battle. Survivors had basically no fear and respect of the killer whatsoever and it was true that during this time no one wanted to play killer. Well, I and other dayhard killer mains did, but it was no fun at all and I sometimes questioned myself why I was still playing.

• Akumakaji
    Akumakaji Member Posts: 5,253
    edited August 31

I tried to get that one with Clown and in the end killed off two and let the last two go if they helped me to farm it. Got it in two games this time after I sat at 0/10 progress since Dracula dropped.

Now the only achievment that I am missing is "Hero of Walachia", but that one is not half bad .. if I would get just one killer who doesn't respect pallets :P I am at 3/10 for that one right now.

• Ayodam
    Ayodam Member Posts: 2,918

I’ve noticed this too. For me it happened around the end of 2v8. I get in as killer but the bonus is pretty much always on survivor now which feels weird. The killer queues aren’t bad but they’re longer than I’m used to. I do believe fewer people are playing survivor now than before but I’m sure BHVR is watching it.

• UndeddJester
    UndeddJester Member Posts: 3,117
    edited August 31

Hahahaha, so annoying when you get pallet respecter xD

My testing left me with 4 to go, and I somehow got 3 grabs in one game as Skull Merchant... then the last was a goofy m1 aim correct miss that I still somehow recovered fast enough to make the grab on a pallet xD

The pallet stuns haven't been too bad for me, my classic way of getting them is to exchange health states for stuns; Off The Record helps tonnes, cause you can deliberately eat a hit for an stun both when helathy and injured. Combined with parental guidance/smash hit, you can disappear into Narnia and not actually throw the game. 😁

• Eelanos
    Eelanos Member Posts: 414

I suppose it's because of being in europe, but I've seen the 100% bonus on the survivor role all the time, it really doesn't matter the time of day.

• NarkoTri1er
    NarkoTri1er Member Posts: 405

idk, but my queues at peak hours even when survivors have 100% incentive are like 20s at most

• IronKnight55
    IronKnight55 Member Posts: 2,936

Yep, players are upset with the survivor experience, and it's becoming apparent. I hope that the developers are aware of SoloQ's shortcomings and are working to enhance the gameplay further.

• GonnaBlameTheMovies
    GonnaBlameTheMovies Member Posts: 682

We have a big perk shakeup coming this Fall, just wait for it. It's also pretty normal to have lulls between events/modes.

• Reinami
    Reinami Member Posts: 5,448

In my experience it changes depending on time of day. Early in the morning and late in the day its usually on survivor, in the evening around 6-10 its on killer because more people are playing with their friends.

• GlamourousLeviathan
    GlamourousLeviathan Member Posts: 1,002

You need 4 survivors for every killer, and considering that killer is the flashiest role, I don't find surprising when there is a survivor bonus. What surprised me is when there is a killer bonus, because it means there is at least 5 survivors for each killer.

• TheTom20
    TheTom20 Member Posts: 467

Since 2v8 has ended up seeing the bp incentive on the killer pretty much all the time

• steezo_de

He's not "Y'all will scrape for any excuse to cry the game is dead."-ing. That's why I asked that because I think that's an extreme take, and it tries to invalidate the guy's concern. And I find it to be a curious, but grayish truth, at least since I came back from my break. I do get killer bonuses late at night, but it doesn't last as long as it did before— and this is after 2v8 and before DLC. Player burnout and wigglywomp pre-dlc drop nonsense? I don't know, but it's a funny coincidence nonetheless. It's only made worse lately because people want to play the dracula killer so as always, time will tell. But I already know that DBD isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

OP may have a pessimistic outlook based on his observation, but obviously he likes the game and wants it to do well. I think these posts are good for BHVR to see. He's not being a dick about it and is letting people know his view on the state of the game. It gives people a topic to stand with or argue against, and at the very least it can give BHVR a better view of morale on the forum front. But to try to dismiss it as a nothing burger? Please.

• LordGlint
    LordGlint Member Posts: 8,410

It might not be a nothing burger, but it's still making a mountain out of a mole hill. Even if the BP incentive is in place on survivor, the killer wait time is still fine. I could see cause to worry if we had extensive 10+ minute waits... but we don't. There's room for improvement for sure, but let's be real... the game has seen worse.

• steezo_de

This is an argument.

"Y'all will scrape for any excuse to cry the game is dead", isn't, when the OP clearly didn't say that. It's not black and white.

I get that the killer wait time is fine, but to be fair, they loosen region and MMR restrictions to get it that way. Nobody I currently play with has less than 5k hours. We're going against sub 300 hour killers from Asia, in the off hours when killer bonuses are in effect. We have to make up rules to keep it fair and fun. The other times are players that really push us to try so I can imagine what that would do to a solo queue lobby.

You're right about the game being worse before. That was the beginning of 2017, killer— all the way. The game almost died. It's nowhere near that, but here's my mountain— the situation seems to have flipped roles to solo queue survivor. Maybe that's a mole hill out of a dirt clod, but I think you get the sediment.

• TheArbiter
    TheArbiter Member Posts: 2,541

Bonuses are determined by region AND mmr. It seems weird to make assumptions on one player's own personal account

• Toystory3Monkey
    Toystory3Monkey Member Posts: 449

it's also very likely it triggers only when there's not 4/5 players queueing for survivor (as 4 times less killers are needed) so it's natural the system is triggering way more often for survivors because there's way higher demand for them.

• LordGlint

Are you a dad? I don't know what's worse... the dirt related dad jokes, or the fact it got a giggle out of me. From my experience, the biggest thing plaguing solo queue right now is their teammates trying to kill themselves on first hook. In my matches tonight, played as a 2 man SWF and I'd say it was like half my matches where someone is giving up a hookstate before we have a chance to rescue.

I like running a complete loadout of aura reading perks, so MOST matches… I have an idea of what's going on. Most of the wasted hookstates though are completely unprompted. Kindred+open handed shows me the killer left...

• BlightedDolphin
    BlightedDolphin Member Posts: 1,839

A new killer just dropped and a bunch of popular killers got buffed, of course people are playing them more than survivor.

Even then, the killer queue times are still instant for me which is a first around a new killer release.

Killer always is more popular than the new survivor around DLC release, it's a whole new experience rather than just a new skin.

Trevor also doesn't seem that popular from the games I've played. I think I've seen 2 in roughly 8ish games. But this is just anecdotal and doesn't mean anything, everyone's experience is different.

• steezo_de

I am! Proud father of 2. Maybe I should adopt you because they never giggle at my jokes and that stings a little.

I don't know what BHVR can do to stop people from giving up on the hook. I don't think penalizing survivors is the answer because they're not addressing anything. And who knows what reasons people have for DCing or giving up on hook. Everyone has at least one reason as to why they'd leave. I have one. Mine is that I don't like games that last a long time. 30 minute games? Yeah, that's 2018. I don't think so in 2024. Guess what I faced the second night I came back and my friends purposely 3-genned us so I could see what would happen. First time I ever faced a Skull Merchant, and I want it to be the last. The funny thing is that when I tried her to get my achievements, she seemed fine. Right as rain. But holy ######### she's ######### annoying to vs. It's like going against knockout Freddy from 2017. Yeah, we could win, but do I want to invest that much time when it will just be a slog of an experience? It's faster to just go next. I'm not mad about it. I just don't want to bother. Now, I know this isn't the same thing because whatever I do, my group has to agree with. I feel for solo queue because they don't have the luxury of communicating anything mid-match.

I'd like BHVR to try to figure out what people find unfun, and at the very least, be open for discussion. It's one of the things I get on BHVR about because they really do just the bare minimum to satiate the unruly, and because their presence is so minor, it gives off the "they don't care" vibe— even if untrue. Maybe have a popup window that asks why players DCd or gave up on hook with easy to crunch multiple choice questions. Do they still do surveys? How about asking what people find disappointing about the game and expand on it. Make the focus about giving up. However, they gather that data, they should then talk about it. Let the customers know how the devs feel and what they're going to do and not do. How do you solve the problem without first asking questions? They're not doing that and I find that pretty sad. It's like the most basic thing. Meanwhile, there are players that want to put the blame for their problems on something, and so we have what we have now — us vs them — because there's not enough open dialogue between BHVR and its community. Maybe they have data that shows that the DC or dying-on-hook is a very trivial problem. Maybe they don't want to admit to the problem because it will show flaws in their pie chart. Maybe they don't want to highlight a negative and make it worse. Who knows, but they should at least give something a go.

I'll give an example of one thing (not related to giving up on hook) that BHVR can do that could show they're listening. Killers complain all the time about survivors waiting at the gate until the very last second. Why is this still a thing? That dracula iri that does the hellfire plumes is really freaking cool. Why not have that as a brown addon for ALL killers that activates after a certain time. Maybe another brown addon that adds permanent bloodwarden after a certain time. Of course certain conditions have to be met before these activate, but I know they can work around that if they really thought about it. Or how about this- staying at the exit gate drains their BP and transfers it to a vial that the killer receives post-match. There's so much they can do and it's a shame they're so preoccupied doing other, money-making things. Business is business, but man, I think they're a little out of touch.

• LordGlint

Imagine a brown addon that gives a 10 second bloodwarden effect for the last 10 seconds of EGC, specifically to screw with ppl who stand there til last second.