The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Please don't go ahead with the new Mori System

SassyPancake
SassyPancake Member Posts: 6
edited September 18 in 8.3.0 PTB Feedback

The new Mori system in Dead by Daylight is a huge misstep that no one in the community asked for, and it’s only going to make slugging worse. Killers will now resort to leaving survivors on the ground just to prevent them from escaping through the hatch, dragging out the game unnecessarily. On top of that, the fun and creative moments like photobombing Ghostface’s mori are being taken away, removing a beloved part of the game’s personality. Survivors will likely start disconnecting or giving up early the moment they see a Mori offering, just to avoid being slugged the entire match. The DBD community is often divided on updates, but for once, it feels like we all agree—this new mori system is a change nobody wanted.

Comments

• steezo_de
    steezo_de Member Posts: 1,196

I could have sworn some time a while back, someone from BHVR said that they wanted to do this because moris were unpopular with survivors and there were a lot of disconnects before loading in. Anyone else remember this? So, if true, people did kinda want something to change with the current system.

• Emeal
    Emeal Member Posts: 4,913

This is literally what people asked for.

• Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 5,116

The Mori system in this P.T.B is really a poor change. The only time the Mori system ever needed a change was when Survivors could be Mori'd after one hook (I was glad to see the back of that!). Since then, it's been perfectly fine.

There was a comment ages ago (literally years back) which vaguely mentioned how someone on the team said some players viewed them as toxic, so wanted to change it. So, naturally, their solution is to make a Mori available every trial, which completely contrasts this.

That BHVR seem to have a bee in their bonnet over the non-issue of Moris is annoying, considering a) there are more pressing issues elsewhere, and b) they've done really well in other areas for some time, so why messing with stuff that means very little is really frustrating.

• Draneth
    Draneth Member Posts: 18

No, it's not. People asked for basekit Cypress, not reworking green and iri moris.

I disagree with the fact that they should be changed at all, btw.

• Skillfulstone
    Skillfulstone Member Posts: 677

The current idea of Finisher Mori as a whole is simply unhealthy.

By hiding the Mori animation behind a 4k, it automatically incentivizes people to slug for the 4k...and we all know how fun and riveting it is.

Not to mention it also indirectly encourages proxy-camping/tunnelling, reduce Killer variety and perk variety in order to get that juicy animation (which I guarantee will get old really quick and will be met with more scorn than a normal 4k, it would be a matter of time before Mori animations are seen as a form of BM like "let me rub my victory in your face a bit longer with this cutscene") since when Survivors start to get better, weaker/slower/M1 Killers tend to struggle more and need to play more aggressively to compete.

Hiding Mori behind 4k is, in my opinion, only going to make people hate those animations and will make the game even less casual/newcomer-friendly than it already is.

There's a reason why the dreadful basekit Unbreakable was attempted alongside the previous Finisher Mori PTB: otherwise every single games would just end in a slugfest. Hell, during that PTB there were more bleedout games than normal even though people could get up because Killers wanted that animation after tunnelling the first 2 Survivors.

However, I have a possible idea to keep Finisher Mori BUT make it healthier;

What if you can Mori the last Survivor by your hand without needing a perk/offering BUT can only do so if said Survivor was downed AFTER hatch spawned (which means either a 3k was already achieved or everybody else got out). A Mori made in this fashion would offer a massive BP boost (further enhanced by Mori offerings which would keep their old effect alongside giving an incrementally higher BP bonus depending on rarity).

This would incentivize people to NOT slug for the 4k and play the match in it's entirety. This wouldn't affect those that already slugged for the 4k but would reward those that don't and take a gamble to win the Hatch race. This is perfect.

• Jim_Tonic
    Jim_Tonic Member Posts: 513

This is from WAAAY back where moris were insta kills before they nerfed them so you have to hook people until death hook. This was not the case with moris way back, so thats were people would ragequit out of the game because moris were actually unfair then. But then also hatch could spawn earlyer so it was both ways.

But if the devs really want us to believe NOWDAYS in 2024 people are somehow offended and vocal against moris, i really wonder where all this "vocal people" that the devs claim are in these threads? 5 threads and so far i see noone being pro finisher mori.

Its either an excuse or they have reeaaally old data. And both is very bad.

• steezo_de

No, they posted on this forum a lot more recent than that. I'm thinking it was around the time when they talked about the change last time but scrapped it.

• Emeal

Did you not read all the feedback from the first time we saw the Mori System back in 2022?
    Loads of people seem very positive about the idea, with only needed small changes.

• Jim_Tonic

We must have seen very diffrent forum pages then. Back then Unbreakable basekit was the far bigger issiue and was talked more about, with some voices also being concerned about the finisher mori in general.

Just because one thing got more attention doesnt mean the other is fine.

• Jim_Tonic

so they are claiming "everyone wants it" when i dont see posts saying they want it. Insane.

• tyantlmumagjiaonuha
    tyantlmumagjiaonuha Member Posts: 550

Most players are not pleased with a base kit of offerings that were rarely used. What we were looking for was a balance between making memento mori a valid act that is not only decorative, and the rewards you get when you take the offerings associated with it.

• steezo_de

I think it's because the devs want to change the system, but want to keep the spirit of the mori in play. I never saw survivors talk about wanting a "finisher mori". Killers either. I'm pretty sure that evolved from a dev brainstorm meeting. Haha. I could be wrong. Maybe there's a thread buried here where there's an absurd amount of upvotes and support for a finisher mori. I can't see it though.

I guess I really want to know where the idea stemmed from because if it is from what I originally said, then I get it. I just think they could go about it another way, like maybe giving survivors a side objective to counter it with a big candy payout. This way they'd at least try instead of pull the plug.

• Jim_Tonic

I think the first part of what you said is more true sadly. The devs want this, not the players.

• Emeal

True, but loads of people have asked for it, including myself. So you cant say nobody asked for this.

• Jim_Tonic

if it were loads of people, why are you the only person now that is for this? have all the others just vanished over the last 2 years? And if so, do you think they should change something for a minority of the playerbase? or keep it the old way like the majority would want?

• Emeal

Well I have the guts to speak my mind freely, others might not. Especially when people like dont even believe in serious or even exist.

• ReverseVelocity
    ReverseVelocity Member Posts: 4,183

I am very much in favor of moris being added to the base game, I just think they should leave the ebony/ivory moris alone.

• Jim_Tonic

yeah but @Emeal says "loads" of people wanted exactly what the devs propose in this PTB. Which is just untrue. Unlike i misintepreted his post then he can feel free to correct me.

• Jim_Tonic

This is not a case where people have to fear social consequence for their opinion. I even did an anonymous poll for people that might feel this way in the off chance there was any reason to. Give it a fiew days and you will see where the majority actually leans.

• GonnaBlameTheMovies
    GonnaBlameTheMovies Member Posts: 664

Leave green and iri Moris alone. The ONLY good parts of this are Cypress basekit, and Moris granting some points for doing them.

Let us Mori as many times as we want. Thousands of Ghostface and Mori enjoyers in general are counting on you not to Fog this up, BHVR.

• ReverseVelocity
    ReverseVelocity Member Posts: 4,183

I don't think he said that at all actually, just that people want a Finisher Mori of some kind.

Considering your poll only has "scrap all of the changes", "push them all" and "don't care" as an option, that's not a good poll when it comes to determining if people want a Finisher Mori. It literally only has questions about this specific instance.

• Emeal

That is correct, people do want a Finisher Mori of some kind.
    Like me, I dont like that it changes the existing Moris to something boring like more bloodpoints. But other than that Im fine with it.

• Tits
    Tits Member Posts: 203
    edited 12:46AM

Seeing as the vast majority of feedback on the mori system is negative and that the most common solution presented by the mass amoint of feedback is yellow mori baskit, unchanged green and red moris, they are likely to go with that option or they really arent listening to feedback or look at it and go "dont care, we want to change this anyway" like they most likely will with skull merchant.

• AbsolutGrndZer0
    AbsolutGrndZer0 Member Posts: 1,366

That was a long time ago for sure, Mori used to be much different, you didn't have to two-hook anyone… that was terrible. Now, yeah there are a lot of disconnects, but the idea that they have anything to do with Moris is… a stretch.

• MB666
    MB666 Member Posts: 968
    edited 2:27AM

the easiest way to implement Moris in a good way was probably by making them available by default once all the survivor were on their last hook (BUT making them work only with 8 hooks score events counting all 4 survivors) and if the gens were below 3.

thats it , them just remove the offerings…. and maybe add some audio notification with a banner on the hud ..idk something fancy.

• steezo_de

No, this is after that. They went from no hook stage, to 1 hook stage, then to two hook stage. Then shortly after that, the devs said they were going to change it yet again. This was only 2-3 years ago but I don't remember exactly when. I know part of the reason why is because people were using moris to target certain survivors and SWFs, but I also could have sworn I remember them talking about how people would DC more than normal when loading in if a killer brought a hidden offering. I thought maybe it was on this forum or maybe it was in a more informal setting like a twitch stream or something.

• Jim_Tonic

because we alredy made better suggsetions and BHVR still felt the need to overcomplicate the whole finisher mori thing. The poll is mainly concerned with our offerings.

• Jim_Tonic

Ok yeah then i clearly misread your post, my bad. I rather have no changes than have the iri and green moris ruined, thats where im coming from.

• Jim_Tonic

i doubt that. It was exactly like this in 2022 and look what we are presented now.