Make event skins only obtainable throughout the according event!

Proxi
Proxi Member Posts: 62

So my suggestion is that the DBD-devs should make it so event skins will only be obtainable throughout the according event each year!
What I noticed is a trend that event skins will appear in the shop as well as being obtainable through gameplay so why don't make them more exclusive by only unlocking them during that event period?
This means that for example the Halloween skins (last event) will disappear from the shop for a year but then reappear on next years event.
Having halloween, christmas or soon lunar new year themed skins in the shop over the whole year just doesn't seem right and as I said reduces the "exclusiveness" of your hard earned skin, if a new player can just pop in and buy whatever event skin he wants.
For the devs this would mean that they had to make these events on a regular basis each year OR at least unlock these skins during the according time period if for some reason no event happens. You could also add the older skins (e.g. last years lunar new year/halloween etc.) so people can pick these up if they missed an event.
Anyway just an idea I always have to think of when I see these event announcements (just watched that dbd dev stream). Btw a lot of games are running this strategy (for example is Blizzards Overwatch) and it seems to work out fairly well.

Comments

• Speshul_Kitten
    Speshul_Kitten Member Posts: 1,861
    I would prefer if they just changed every year. Kind of gives people who’ve been playing the game longer a little more bragging rights. Kind of sad to see no one has to even be “present” to the event anymore only to be able to purchase them shortly after.
  • NekoGamerX
    NekoGamerX Member Posts: 5,277

don't understand the want for more exclusively in thing bragging really?geeze I love to have the last year lunar event items and really that be it. don't want the legacy items like I said in another thread the legacy items/bloody item are like putting a target on your back trying to show off what other can't have or don't have yet(bloody items)that how exclusive items will become I don't like exclusive thing just messed up for new player who started late.

• Proxi

@Speshul_Kitten said:
    I would prefer if they just changed every year. Kind of gives people who’ve been playing the game longer a little more bragging rights. Kind of sad to see no one has to even be “present” to the event anymore only to be able to purchase them shortly after.

so you mean no old skins but only new skins each year and only obtainable during event period? I would like this as wel but I don't think the devs would agree with that cuz they wanna sell old skins too.

• Proxi

@NekoGamerX said:
    don't understand the want for more exclusively in thing bragging really?geeze I love to have the last year lunar event items and really that be it. don't want the legacy items like I said in another thread the legacy items/bloody item are like putting a target on your back trying to show off what other can't have or don't have yet(bloody items)that how exclusive items will become I don't like exclusive thing just messed up for new player who started late.

I mean you would still be able to get all the skins when you attend the event every year. Don't know how long you have played the game but 3 prestige is so popular at the moment that it doesn't even matter anymore, nor "puts a target on your back". I personally have played almost 1k hours now, being rank 1 with killer and survivor almost each season, so I know this game a lot. I just think that there is no "fair" balance between going through all the nonsense and sometimes "pain" during an event or rather just drop 10 bucks 5 months later if you haven't even attended it at all.

• NekoGamerX

@Proxi said:

@NekoGamerX said:

I mean you would still be able to get all the skins when you attend the event every year. Don't know how long you have played the game but 3 prestige is so popular at the moment that it doesn't even matter anymore, nor "puts a target on your back". I personally have played almost 1k hours now, being rank 1 with killer and survivor almost each season, so I know this game a lot. I just think that there is no "fair" balance between going through all the nonsense and sometimes "pain" during an event or rather just drop 10 bucks 5 months later if you haven't even attended it at all.

mostly talking about legacy items more then the bloody items but people do use the bloody items to show off/brag I feel.I started in sep of last year on ps4 but I had the steam ver from start of 2018 but I can't play it computer sucks.last years lunar event items most likely are not getting release it suck but oh well but it sounds like these new items are staying in the store which i'm ok with.

• MyNamePete
    MyNamePete Member Posts: 1,053
    They stated they don’t want any more exclusives in the game, but hey at least we get them for free
  • Proxi

@MyNamePete said:
    They stated they don’t want any more exclusives in the game, but hey at least we get them for free

don't you understand? skins will not be 100% exclusive if you can pick them up every year during the same time.

• NekoGamerX

@MyNamePete said:

yea at lest we get them for free wish more would look at it this way.

• MyNamePete
    Proxi said:

@MyNamePete said:

don't you understand? skins will not be 100% exclusive if you can pick them up every year during the same time.

im assuming you mean this as the same skins will come out next year? There would be no point in playing the event as you wouldnt be gaining anything and the outfits were different last year for the event
  • Proxi

@MyNamePete said:
    im assuming you mean this as the same skins will come out next year? There would be no point in playing the event as you wouldnt be gaining anything and the outfits were different last year for the event

obviously devs would make NEW skins for every event but ALSO "unlock" old skins of THAT particular even from the years before.
    hope you understand now.

• Delfador
    Delfador Member Posts: 2,552

Their skins are better than before, just remember kate's BBQ event's top.

If they want to make profit with these special outfits at all times, I am okay with this. I don't want exclusive but bad cosmetics honestly.

• MyNamePete
    edited January 2019
    Proxi said:

@MyNamePete said:

obviously devs would make NEW skins for every event but ALSO "unlock" old skins of THAT particular even from the years before.
    hope you understand now.

if this game were to last last 5 more years as they stated, that would be an absurd amount of cosmetics you would get for an event. Around 15 or more outfits. Still wouldnt be any point of getting on as “there’s always next year.” It actually sounds dumb thinking I wouldnt play this game for 5 years but would still unlock everything for free. The devs don’t make enough money for this.
  • Proxi

@MyNamePete said:
    Proxi said:

@MyNamePete said:

hope you understand now.

if this game were to last last 5 more years as they stated, that would be an absurd amount of cosmetics you would get for an event. Around 15 or more outfits. Still wouldnt be any point of getting on as “there’s always next year.” It actually sounds dumb thinking I wouldnt play this game for 5 years but would still unlock everything for free. The devs don’t make enough money for this.

OBVIOUSLY you would still have to choose between skins so you only get a limited amount of "event currency" which you can spend. Most players will spend those on new skins but if you have like a main character you can get that one outfit you didin't get from before.
    Say after 3 events we have like 12 event outfits. All outfits get unlocked to be purchased by either real money or ingame currency.
    Say the player gets enough "free" event currency for 3 outfits each event.
    Question: How are you gonna unlock every outfit? Answer: By spending real money! --- Devs make money!

Dude hope you can understand now..

• Speshul_Kitten
    Proxi said:

@Speshul_Kitten said:

so you mean no old skins but only new skins each year and only obtainable during event period? I would like this as wel but I don't think the devs would agree with that cuz they wanna sell old skins too.

they might actually make MORE money that way, with customers seeing as they are limited time buys.
  • Speshul_Kitten

I’m guessing you haven’t played this game more than a year? You seem very open to purchasing items VS playing for them. You see there are people who’ve been playing this game 3+ years so yeah some of us would like some exclusives.
  • Speshul_Kitten

Yes, deny other people cool looking cosmetics that they would probably enjoy wearing because you want your "bragging rights". Exclusive content should come in the form of emblems or something like CSGO's event coins or Steam's "X years of service" medals. Actual in game content like skins or cosmetics being exclusive is the definition aids.

Who said they have to look cool? Exclusives are exclusives regardless of their appeal. If you like paying for stuff that’s fine but I’d rather earn mine.
  • Proxi

@EntityDispleased said:
    Yes, deny other people cool looking cosmetics that they would probably enjoy wearing because you want your "bragging rights". Exclusive content should come in the form of emblems or something like CSGO's event coins or Steam's "X years of service" medals. Actual in game content like skins or cosmetics being exclusive is the definition aids.

Eventskins only "exclusive" until next event.
    Normal skins will come out all the time during the year -> stay in the shop forever -> not exclusive at all

As I stated above a lot of games and also very big games like Overwatch are doing this and it works perfectly fine and it animates me personally to look forward to the next event and have fun unlocking new skins.

• mintchapstick
    mintchapstick Member Posts: 891
    edited January 2019

@Speshul_Kitten said:
    Who said they have to look cool? Exclusives are exclusives regardless of their appeal. If you like paying for stuff that’s fine but I’d rather earn mine.

You might be putting too much of an emphasis on bragging rights/earning things. IDK. I buy skins, I bought an event skin for an event I missed because I was taking a break from DBD--and I earned my skin. I earned it by having a job and disposable income, hahaha (which also means that I couldn't grind my way through getting a fancy event skin through the event, so).

• NekoGamerX

@Speshul_Kitten said:
    NekoGamerX said:

I’m guessing you haven’t played this game more than a year? You seem very open to purchasing items VS playing for them. You see there are people who’ve been playing this game 3+ years so yeah some of us would like some exclusives.

no I havn't played that long 8like almost 6 month but on steam I had the game over a year but I can't play it sadly.Anyways it does messed up the game for new players I got the hollow blight outfits 2 of them and I'm ok with them still in the store.and you long time player have legacy items I don't want them don't care for then ever to get re released only thing I want is David jacket from the last lunar event but that a pipe dream.

• NekoGamerX

@Speshul_Kitten said:
    EntityDispleased said:

well yea I like earn mine too but I wouldn't care if someone buys it later at least I know I got it free.

• Proxi

@mintchapstick said:

You might be putting too much of an emphasis on bragging rights/earning things. IDK. I buy skins, I bought an event skin for an event I missed because I was taking a break from DBD--and I earned my skin. I earned it by having a job and disposable income, hahaha (which also means that I couldn't grind my way through getting a fancy event skin through the event, so).

you are right about this, but can't you understand people who spend hours over hours to play this game like crazy to earn their skins and then a guy with a good job just comes 3 weeks later and buys all the skins (worth probably 1 hour of his work time) without having touched the game at all? Seems a little unrewarding for those who played right?

• NekoGamerX

@Proxi said:

@mintchapstick said:

you are right about this, but can't you understand people who spend hours over hours to play this game like crazy to earn their skins and then a guy with a good job just comes 3 weeks later and buys all the skins (worth probably 1 hour of his work time) without having touched the game at all? Seems a little unrewarding for those who played right?

at least they got it free

@EntityDispleased said:

this would be better brag anyway not cosmetics.

• Speshul_Kitten

@Proxi said:

@EntityDispleased said:

@Proxi said:

@mintchapstick said:

Well people with good jobs don't have the time to go through all the painful grind this game has to offer. Some people have 2-3 hours to play each day or even less. Some can only play on weekends or whenever they have day-offs. Why should they be punished because they have lives and responsibilities to take care of? I personally think wanting to make such cosmetics exclusive is quite selfish, disdainful and envious to a certain degree.

You’re looking at this completely wrong. No one is being punished for not attending the event, rather the ones who made the time and put in the grind are being rewarded. If you want to purchase cosmetics go ahead, but don’t paint yourself as a victim of selfishness.
  • Speshul_Kitten

@Speshul_Kitten said:

Only for event exclusives, even if it’s just one item. I’d like to think you can earn things that others simply cannot put in a couple dollars for. Even then, there are PLENTY more purchasable cosmetics in the store.
  • Speshul_Kitten
    Proxi said:

@mintchapstick said:

This is EXACLTY what I mean. Some games reward people who put in the grind while still offering similar or many other items to veterans and newbies alike.
  • Proxi

@EntityDispleased said:

Well people with good jobs don't have the time to go through all the painful grind this game has to offer. Some people have 2-3 hours to play each day or even less. Some can only play on weekends or whenever they have day-offs. Why should they be punished because they have lives and responsibilities to take care of? I personally think wanting to make such cosmetics exclusive is quite selfish, disdainful and envious to a certain degree.

nobody said they should be exclusive.. just only available throughout the event (you can buy them for real money).. If some caring daddy with 3 kids and an 40hour+ job can't log into the game once for 2 full weeks I ask myself the question: Why do you even play this game? AND Why do you even care about skins?

• mintchapstick
    mintchapstick Member Posts: 891

@Proxi said:

Yeah, IDK. I guess I just don't see the argument for getting rewarded for playing the game that you want to play? Like cool that there's an incentive, that's great that there's the ability to get some cool stuff for free, but I don't really see the point in wanting it to be a huge grind from a player perspective & not something you can just buy.

Also RE this argument:

[quote]nobody said they should be exclusive.. just only available throughout the event (you can buy them for real money).. If some caring daddy with 3 kids and an 40hour+ job can't log into the game once for 2 full weeks I ask myself the question: Why do you even play this game? AND Why do you even care about skins?[/quote]

Because skins are fun--and the game is fun to play. It is, however, extremely time consuming and repetitious. Also, I'm definitely not some caring daddy with 3 kids and a 40+hr job, I personally have a job in the tech field, I'm an artist (hence why aesthetics are something I'm very into), and I have friends and other hobbies--I also have to take months long breaks from DBD or else the community gets under my skin and negatively impacts my mood. So, it's nice to be able to come back and find out what I missed during those breaks & to be able to pay for the cool stuff I missed, like new DLC and fun skins.

I definitely bought some of the Halloween event skins; Halloween is the only holiday I actually like!

• Salty_Huntress
    Salty_Huntress Member Posts: 151

The devs confirmed in today’s stream that the old lunar skins will not be returning and will remain exclusive to those who played at the time same with bbq. 
  • NoShinyPony
    NoShinyPony Member Posts: 4,570

BHVR is earning money with these skins, therefore it would not make sense to make skins only available for a limited amount of time.

If a player wants something to brag about, they can play the game a lot and brag about their devotion level.

• Killigma
    Killigma Member Posts: 372

@NoShinyPony said:
    BHVR is earning money with these skins, therefore it would not make sense to make skins only available for a limited amount of time.

If a player wants something to brag about, they can play the game a lot and brag about their devotion level.

This.
    At the end of the day BHVR is a company, and companies need to make money. Exclusives are a novelty, why would BHVR not double down on events and offer people to buy them? From a business POV, it makes more sense than to keep a small minority happy over "bragging rights."
    You get your skins for free, while getting some BP in, that should be enough. If someone wants to go and spend his/her money on them, that is up to them. DBD is doing well on pushing out events for the community, take your reward and just be happy they are doing something right.

• RoKrueger
    RoKrueger Member Posts: 1,371
    Those devs families have to eat, you know?
  • weirdkid5
    weirdkid5 Member Posts: 2,144

This is a game people have to buy. Locking out items can make people feel like they are being cheated out of content that exists in their game, but can never unlock.

Didn't they bring back the Frost Eyes for the Winter Event if you didn't play the first one?

• fcc2014
    fcc2014 Member Posts: 4,388

@Proxi said:
    So my suggestion is that the DBD-devs should make it so event skins will only be obtainable throughout the according event each year!
    What I noticed is a trend that event skins will appear in the shop as well as being obtainable through gameplay so why don't make them more exclusive by only unlocking them during that event period?
    This means that for example the Halloween skins (last event) will disappear from the shop for a year but then reappear on next years event.
    Having halloween, christmas or soon lunar new year themed skins in the shop over the whole year just doesn't seem right and as I said reduces the "exclusiveness" of your hard earned skin, if a new player can just pop in and buy whatever event skin he wants.
    For the devs this would mean that they had to make these events on a regular basis each year OR at least unlock these skins during the according time period if for some reason no event happens. You could also add the older skins (e.g. last years lunar new year/halloween etc.) so people can pick these up if they missed an event.
    Anyway just an idea I always have to think of when I see these event announcements (just watched that dbd dev stream). Btw a lot of games are running this strategy (for example is Blizzards Overwatch) and it seems to work out fairly well.

I agree 100% why grind for something when someone can just buy it anyway. It loses what made it special.

• AshleyWB
    AshleyWB Member Posts: 4,061
    I'd hate to have a whole catolog of things i could have won
  • Proxi

@weirdkid5 said:
    This is a game people have to buy. Locking out items can make people feel like they are being cheated out of content that exists in their game, but can never unlock.

Didn't they bring back the Frost Eyes for the Winter Event if you didn't play the first one?

Yeah the first ever event skins are somehow locked for newer players. But in my idea I said that skins would come back every year in the event and devs could also make it so the yellow halloween eyes and frosty eyes come back for new players (probably in the shop then)

• SnakeSound222
    SnakeSound222 Member Posts: 4,467

It's because of how much work the devs put into making the skins and they need money (either because of greed or to make up for Deathgarden's massive flop and the lawsuit that they recently had to deal with).

• NekoGamerX

@Salty_Huntress said:
    NekoGamerX said:

The devs confirmed in today’s stream that the old lunar skins will not be returning and will remain exclusive to those who played at the time same with bbq. 

@weirdkid5 said:

i do feel a little cheated now this why i hate exclusive.i don't even want legacy items but last year lunar items whatever.

• NekoGamerX

@Salty_Huntress said:
    NekoGamerX said:

this bummed me out i mean guess they don't want money i don't even see people using david jacket i seen it two time when i played.

• NekoGamerX

@NekoGamerX said:

@Salty_Huntress said:
    NekoGamerX said:

this bummed me out i mean guess they don't want money i don't even see people using david jacket i seen it two time when i played

like why put these new lunar items in the store forever not bring back the other. >_<

• weirdkid5
    weirdkid5 Member Posts: 2,144

@Salty_Huntress said:
    NekoGamerX said:

@weirdkid5 said:

i do feel a little cheated now this why i hate exclusive.i don't even want legacy items but last year lunar items whatever.

I don't see what's wrong with creating a separate challenge event that allows people to get Legacy again. I say this as a Legacy owner as well (formally, since my save data got deleted the day Hag came out.)
  • NekoGamerX

@weirdkid5 said:
    NekoGamerX said:

@Salty_Huntress said:

NekoGamerX said:

@weirdkid5 said:

I don't see what's wrong with creating a separate challenge event that allows people to get Legacy again. I say this as a Legacy owner as well (formally, since my save data got deleted the day Hag came out.)

they can get rerelease just saying on my part i don't care if they do or not.still bammed about the last year lunar event item but i get over it.still.still feels dumb not bring them back when the new event items stay in the store forever what i know.;)