The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Rank System is the real problem of this game.

Killer and survivor mains please try your best to see each others points of view and dont bring any toxic behaviour to this post because this post is not about being on one side or the other, this time is about fixing the game for all of us.

In this post I want to talk about how having a broken rank system is the biggest problem of this game.

I'll start with survivors point lf view because it is most of the player base. (I'll only cover solo players because SWF dont suffer at all from this)

How many rank 1 survivor mains have been forced to play with people that dont have the same level of experience as them? You are able to loop a killer for ages, you are the perfect definition of ninja, you wait for the killer to leave before unhooking your teammates and you can hit every great skillcheck in the game, but... Your teammates camp pallets, they always run to the killer's face, they unhook you right next to the killer and they always fail skillchecks, but there they are, at rank 1 without having a clue on how to play the game.

Fixing rank system would force rank 1 survivors to play with other survivors that belong to rank 1, instead of playing with people who belong to rank 8 but play at rank 1. This would close the gap between solos and SWF because the actual reason why SWF is so good is not really the "wall hacks", its the fact that all 4 survivors inside that team are rank 1 survivors who belong to rank 1. Closing the gap between this 2 groups would lead to a great buff to solo players, giving them aura reading perks as default in certain situations.

On the killers side you may think "how is having to play against 4 rank 1 survivors gonna help me get the 4k? I have enough with SWF and now I have to deal with good loopers and ninja gods all the time?"
Yes, you'll have to, but...
Having to play against people that are at the same level wouldnt make developers afraid of buffing a lot of killers to Billy Tier, since that is the only killer who's able to fight against a full group of good rank 1 survivors. This would add more variety to the game. And since every survivor you'd face at rank 1 would know every single infite and pallet/totems location in the game this would allow developers to balance some pretty broken maps without having to worry about casual players because those casual players would be playing with and against other casuals.

That's all I gotta say about ranking and why fixing It would make this game way more enjoyable for both sides. I would also like to see what everyone thinks about this :)

Comments

• AlwaysInAGoodShape
    AlwaysInAGoodShape Member Posts: 1,301
    edited February 2019
    I think both your point 1's are really accurate (:
    Above that you mention that some bad players are matched up with really good players and this is completely true. We have reddit posts admitting they reached rank 1 but didnt feel like they deserved it because they could barely loop yet. Such experiences are sometimes denied here on the forums and not often do people point out that rank IS telling a littlebit about skill, but only insofar playing frequency says something about skill.

I think you did well at pointing out some of the effects stricter matchmaking results into
    When marth88 conducted his No Com experiment, he forgot that it was not only picking the 4 META perks that made them so strong in those 100 games, bit also what you mentioned; their control over their matchmaking through SWF, and i found it impressive that you were able to point out that such strength is a matchmaking issue and NOT inherently an SWF issue, since a lot of people get that wrong and underestate the actual power solo's could have through tighter matchmaking.

Good post!
  • tt_ivi_99
    tt_ivi_99 Member Posts: 1,463
    I think both your point 1's are really accurate (:
    Above that you mention that some bad players are matched up with really good players and this is completely true. We have reddit posts admitting they reached rank 1 but didnt feel like they deserved it because they could barely loop yet. Such experiences are sometimes denied here on the forums and not often do people point out that rank IS telling a littlebit about skill, but only insofar playing frequency says something about skill.

I think you did well at pointing out some of the effects stricter matchmaking results into
    When marth88 conducted his No Com experiment, he forgot that it was not only picking the 4 META perks that made them so strong in those 100 games, bit also what you mentioned; their control over their matchmaking through SWF, and i found it impressive that you were able to point out that such strength is a matchmaking issue and NOT inherently an SWF issue, since a lot of people get that wrong and underestate the actual power solo's could have through tighter matchmaking.

Good post!
    Thanks, sometimes is hard to write comments and posts in english since its not my first language. I'm glad I managed to express well my thoughts :)
  • Paddy4583
    Paddy4583 Member Posts: 864
    TL:DR anyone?
  • tt_ivi_99
    Paddy4583 said:
    By fixing the rank system everyone would be playing with people of the same lvl of skill. Solo players would get the buffs they need and killers would also be buffed to combat all this good survivors.

This would open the possibility of giving solos some aura reading perks to be on match with SWF and as I already said killers would be buffed to be viable as well. Devs would also be forced to balance some pretty broken maps.
  • Okapi
    Okapi Member Posts: 839
    edited February 2019

Rank is messed up because of SWF matchmaking or to be more specific the complete absence of it. SWF does not use an average rank of the squad to match with a killer but the rank of the person who invited the other members into thier SWF lobby. This is why a killer can face off against hundreds of red and purple rank survivors without ever reaching those ranks. This is why survivors can reach red ranks without ever facing off against red rank killers. They can just pair up with a low rank buddy and abuse noob killers to get easy pips.

Dead by Daylight is the rare game where smurfing is possible without needing to de-rank or buy a second copy of the game. At least on the survivor side. The devs seemingly do not care because they've had 2 years to fix this issue.

• tt_ivi_99
    Okapi said:

Rank is messed up because of SWF matchmaking or to be more specific the complete absence of it. SWF does not use an average rank of the squad to match with a killer but the rank of the person who invited the other members into thier SWF lobby. This is why a killer can face off against hundreds of red and purple rank survivors without ever reaching those ranks. This is why survivors can reach red ranks without ever facing off against red rank killers. They can just pair up with a low rank buddy and abuse noob killers to get easy pips.

Dead by Daylight is the rare game where smurfing is possible without needing to de-rank or buy a second copy of the game. At least on the survivor side. The devs seemingly do not care because they've had 2 years to fix this issue.

The biggest reason why rank system is broken is because how easy it is to rank your way to rank 1. I agree that SWF can be one of the reasons and I think that people should only be able to play SWF if all the members on that team were on the same rank.
  • Paddy4583
    edited February 2019
    Ranking is like BPs easy come easy go, most of the skill is mid ranks because they know staying there is a better que time. Rank 1s are overrated.

There is no real way to rank this game
  • Paddy4583
    edited February 2019
    tt_ivi_99 said:
    Paddy4583 said:
    By fixing the rank system everyone would be playing with people of the same lvl of skill. Solo players would get the buffs they need and killers would also be buffed to combat all this good survivors.

This would open the possibility of giving solos some aura reading perks to be on match with SWF and as I already said killers would be buffed to be viable as well. Devs would also be forced to balance some pretty broken maps.
    Fixing it how? Seriously what could they really implement to measure “skill” on an asymmetrical game, most games a pure chance and luck, a survivors skill can only be measured in comparison to the killers and vice versa.  
  • tt_ivi_99
    Paddy4583 said:
    tt_ivi_99 said:
    Paddy4583 said:

Fixing it how? Seriously what could they really implement to measure “skill” on an asymmetrical game, most games a pure chance and luck, a survivors skill can only be measured in comparison to the killers and vice versa.  
    Maybe add more pips and remove double pipe. I dont know, Im not a game developer