The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Flamethrower killer in DBD

Yamaoka
Yamaoka Member Posts: 4,321
edited February 2019 in General Discussions
If there was a flamethrower killer how would you balance the flamethrower? Would an instadown be too much when getting hit by the flames? Would it be "balanced" if the killer had to "charge" his flamethrower before using it reducing his movement speed to like 60% for instance (to make up for the area that gets covered by the flames)?

Or should getting hit by the fire cause the survivor to "burn" (status effect)? If so, how should this status effect work?

Yes, I like flamethrowers. 
Post edited by Yamaoka on

Comments

• doublev1986
    doublev1986 Member Posts: 78
    edited February 2019
    Deep burn status effect when you have to put the fire out similar to mending
  • doublev1986
    doublev1986 Member Posts: 78
    I think you might like this also https://youtu.be/twaIA2xjiU4
  • The_Crusader
    The_Crusader Member Posts: 3,688
    Would it actually need to be balanced to fit into DBD?
  • Yamaoka
    I think you might like this also https://youtu.be/twaIA2xjiU4
    Hell yeah! 😂 Evil Within was crazy good. I actually would like to see Laura, The Keeper and obviously O neal with his fancy flamethrower in DBD.
  • Unnamed_Freak
    Unnamed_Freak Member Posts: 570

All you gotta do is believe in magic.

~memories of TF2 intensifies~.

• Yamaoka
    edited February 2019
    Funbag5 said:
    Your injured with a burning timer, once the timer is gone you fall into dying state. Once on the ground you can be burned again, which speeds up dying state. The only way to stop burning is jumping into a locker or having someone else put you out.
    Sounds pretty neat to me. 😁 Or maybe they could make it so the killer can't see the survivor while using his flamethrower as he gets somewhat blinded by all the fire and smoke but he can hear the survivor screaming if the survivor is inside the fire radius and if the survivor stays within the fire radius/can't avoid the fire for like 5 seconds he/she gets put into the dying state?

I wouldn't want the flamethrower to be like Legion's frenzy even though I would like a "burn" status effect. I like the idea of a shortened bleedout timer when burning a downed survivor by the way. Would change things up. But I guess the flamethrower would need to have a fuel-limit otherwise everyone would just burn all survivors right away after downing them once. 😂
  • thesuicidefox
    thesuicidefox Member Posts: 8,223

Flamethrower, no. Something to do with fire, that would be cool. Maybe like a zoning killer, similar to Hag or Trapper that can use fire to block off an area.

• Yamaoka
    edited February 2019

Flamethrower, no. Something to do with fire, that would be cool. Maybe like a zoning killer, similar to Hag or Trapper that can use fire to block off an area.

Some killers have an active and a passive ability (i.e. pig dash attack with no terror radius + reverse bear traps) so why not give the flamethrower killer an active ability (shooting flames to injure or down survivors) and a passive ability (zoning by temporarily blocking ways with lines of fire)? He'd be able to create zones like hag or trapper for a short period of time (as long as the ground burns which could be altered by add-ons) and chase with his active ability. Or do you just dislike flamethrowers generally?
  • Dreamnomad
    Dreamnomad Member Posts: 3,850

Thread feels like it belongs in fan creations. I think a flamethrower would be very difficult to balance. Either it would be too strong and survivors wouldn't have a feasible way to counter the ability or it wouldn't feel like the killer is using a flamethrower. A fire based killer might be possible, but it is difficult to imagine a reality in which a killer shows up with a flamethrower. Pretty much for the same reason it is difficult to imagine a killer in DBD with an assault rifle.

• thesuicidefox
    thesuicidefox Member Posts: 8,223

@Yamaoka said:
    thesuicidefox said:

Some killers have an active and a passive ability (i.e. pig dash attack with no terror radius + reverse bear traps) so why not give the flamethrower killer an active ability (shooting flames to injure or down survivors) and a passive ability (zoning by temporarily blocking ways with lines of fire)? He'd be able to create zones like hag or trapper for a short period of time (as long as the ground burns which could be altered by add-ons) and chase with his active ability. Or do you just dislike flamethrowers generally?

I just don't see a flamethrower making sense in DBD. Killers don't even have guns, the closest thing mechanically is Huntress hatchets, and the closest thing visually is Hillbilly's shotgun cosmetics (which don't even shoot BTW). A flamethrower is just a weird thing to want in this game. Fire-based powers sound cool, but an actual flamethrower wouldn't fit.

• BACKSTABBER
    BACKSTABBER Member Posts: 1,809

@Yamaoka said:
    If there was a flamethrower killer how would you balance the flamethrower? Would an instadown be too much when getting hit by the flames? Would it be "balanced" if the killer had to "charge" his flamethrower before using it reducing his movement speed to like 60% for instance (to make up for the area that gets covered by the flames)?

Or should getting hit by the fire cause the survivor to "burn" (status effect)? If so, how should this status effect work?

I like a FT but from surv side, ultra rare, only found in chests, not possible to carry when escape, needs 2 parts to be built (so 2 survs), and killer gets cooked but stunned (not killed) for long time

• Freudentrauma
    Freudentrauma Member Posts: 1,053
    edited February 2019

I would really love to see a flamethrower killer in the game. I would imagine the flamethrower to work as an midrange AOE attack, which only deals single damage to survivors, can be stopped by walls and pallets. But also sets pallets, lockers and chests on fire. Those objects, when the burn can't be interacted with.
    Survivors in a locker automaticly jump out of it injured, when it's set on fire. And pallets get destroyed, when they burned out.
    Besides that I would imagine the killer to get some kind of passive buff, when beeing in range of a burning object (less than 8m). So it would be a tactical choice for the killer to set things on flames once in a while.

And yes, it's something I'm hoping for a while and already pushed some thoughts into it, to be honest.^^

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,614

@Yamaoka said:
    If there was a flamethrower killer how would you balance the flamethrower?

The Killer will have normal walk speed, normal terror radius size & normal height.

Survivors will have a healthbar in addition to health states.
    This bar is hidden until you get damaged.
    When you are completely healed, it disappears again.

While holding the Power button, you'll start scorching, rendering the main weapon unavailable until you stop.
    You can aim anywhere, but can't burn anything but Survivors. (Darn the Entity and its meddling, huh?)
    The flamethrower has the meddlesome ability to burn Items that aren't being carried by Survivors when scorched for 3 seconds.
    The flamethrower can also regress Generator repair progress by scorching them, though the benefit is 1 second regressed for every second scorched.
    Yes, Borrowed Time is useless against this Killer, as the flames multi-hit.
    But maybe we'll have to update it so Borrowed Time resists fire for like 3 consecutive seconds, idk.

When burned by the flamethrower for 5 seconds in total, their HUD icon changes to Injured, indicating that they've entered the Injured health state.
    When burned by the flamethrower for 10 seconds in total, their HUD icon changes to Dying, indicating that they've entered the Dying health state.
    The amount it takes to burn Survivors can be changed with Add-ons.

The flamethrower has a range of 10 meters, but it takes about a second to reach that distance.
    The flames have a cone of 10 degrees when at 0 meters and a cone of 50 degrees when at 10 meters, with all the inbetween ranges aligned perfectly. (Like 5 meters having 30 degrees.)
    The range & cone can be changed with Add-ons.

Just an in-between: Naturally, the Killer is immune to their own fire, which would aesthetically be correct by giving him/her cosmetics which would all be immune to fire, or fire-resistant to some degree.
    Oh, another in-between: Their main weapon is a fireaxe. (Idc if Huntress already has an axe.
    Clown, Shape & Legion have knifes & Hillbilly & Cannibal have hammers.)

Survivors don't lose blood against this Power, as all wounds are burns.
    When hitting a burned Survivor with your main weapon, they'll start losing blood again.
    Burning a bleeding Survivor will stop their bleeding.

Fuel won't be a standard downside to their Power, but Add-ons may introduce it, idk.

The Mori would be to burn Survivors in the face point-blank while standing on their stomach with one foot.

@Yamaoka said:
    Would an instadown be too much when getting hit by the flames?

Yes

@Yamaoka said:
    Would it be "balanced" if the killer had to "charge" his flamethrower before using it reducing his movement speed to like 60% for instance (to make up for the area that gets covered by the flames)?

We have different ideas.

@Yamaoka said:
    Or should getting hit by the fire cause the survivor to "burn" (status effect)?

Yes.

@Yamaoka said:
    If so, how should this status effect work?

The "Burn" Status Effect.
    As soon as a Survivor touches flames from the flamethrower, they'll gain the "Burn" for 60 seconds.
    "Burn" makes the Survivor affected by it be in constant pain, whether they are fully healed or not, causing them to grunt from pain as if they are Injured or Dying.
    "Burn" cannot be removed any earlier.

@Yamaoka said:

I noticed.

• Hoodied
    Hoodied Member Posts: 13,018

Hans....GET THE FLAMMENWERFER (I will try to make an idea for you my dude)

• Yamaoka

@Yamaoka said:
    thesuicidefox said:

I just don't see a flamethrower making sense in DBD. Killers don't even have guns, the closest thing mechanically is Huntress hatchets, and the closest thing visually is Hillbilly's shotgun cosmetics (which don't even shoot BTW). A flamethrower is just a weird thing to want in this game. Fire-based powers sound cool, but an actual flamethrower wouldn't fit.

You have to keep in mind the developers want to add content to DBD for the next 5 years according to Cote so obviously future killers will have to be different from the current killers at some point otherwise you'll think one killer is just a copy of another killer.

The true question is how to balance things not if it fits into the typical picture of DBD.

To name some facts:
    DBD already has fire effects (fire barrels) and killers who can "shoot" things. Huntress can "shoot" hatchets and literally down people across the map depending on skill, Doctor can "shoot" a 32m long beam of electricity through the walls and stop a survivor cleansing his totem with his sniper addons, Clown can throw his bottles which game-mechanically is like shooting a projective.

Therefore a flamethrower wouldn't be game-breaking if that's your concern. People would still be able to loop this killer in closed loops and his map pressure would be awful as any survivor would know where he is at all times.

In order to keep it somewhat balanced the flamethrower could have a short range (20m) without addons and the killer could become slow as hell while using his flamethrower (60% movement speed for instance) and the fire itself could cause the status effect "burn". 
  • Yamaoka
    Boss said:

@Yamaoka said:
    If there was a flamethrower killer how would you balance the flamethrower?

The Killer will have normal walk speed, normal terror radius size & normal height.

Survivors will have a healthbar in addition to health states.
    This bar is hidden until you get damaged.
    When you are completely healed, it disappears again.

While holding the Power button, you'll start scorching, rendering the main weapon unavailable until you stop.
    You can aim anywhere, but can't burn anything but Survivors. (Darn the Entity and its meddling, huh?)
    The flamethrower has the meddlesome ability to burn Items that aren't being carried by Survivors when scorched for 3 seconds.
    The flamethrower can also regress Generator repair progress by scorching them, though the benefit is 1 second regressed for every second scorched.
    Yes, Borrowed Time is useless against this Killer, as the flames multi-hit.
    But maybe we'll have to update it so Borrowed Time resists fire for like 3 consecutive seconds, idk.

When burned by the flamethrower for 5 seconds in total, their HUD icon changes to Injured, indicating that they've entered the Injured health state.
    When burned by the flamethrower for 10 seconds in total, their HUD icon changes to Dying, indicating that they've entered the Dying health state.
    The amount it takes to burn Survivors can be changed with Add-ons.

The flamethrower has a range of 10 meters, but it takes about a second to reach that distance.
    The flames have a cone of 10 degrees when at 0 meters and a cone of 50 degrees when at 10 meters, with all the inbetween ranges aligned perfectly. (Like 5 meters having 30 degrees.)
    The range & cone can be changed with Add-ons.

Just an in-between: Naturally, the Killer is immune to their own fire, which would aesthetically be correct by giving him/her cosmetics which would all be immune to fire, or fire-resistant to some degree.
    Oh, another in-between: Their main weapon is a fireaxe. (Idc if Huntress already has an axe.
    Clown, Shape & Legion have knifes & Hillbilly & Cannibal have hammers.)

Survivors don't lose blood against this Power, as all wounds are burns.
    When hitting a burned Survivor with your main weapon, they'll start losing blood again.
    Burning a bleeding Survivor will stop their bleeding.

Fuel won't be a standard downside to their Power, but Add-ons may introduce it, idk.

The Mori would be to burn Survivors in the face point-blank while standing on their stomach with one foot.

@Yamaoka said:
    Would an instadown be too much when getting hit by the flames?

Yes

@Yamaoka said:
    Would it be "balanced" if the killer had to "charge" his flamethrower before using it reducing his movement speed to like 60% for instance (to make up for the area that gets covered by the flames)?

We have different ideas.

@Yamaoka said:
    Or should getting hit by the fire cause the survivor to "burn" (status effect)?

Yes.

@Yamaoka said:
    If so, how should this status effect work?

The "Burn" Status Effect.
    As soon as a Survivor touches flames from the flamethrower, they'll gain the "Burn" for 60 seconds.
    "Burn" makes the Survivor affected by it be in constant pain, whether they are fully healed or not, causing them to grunt from pain as if they are Injured or Dying.
    "Burn" cannot be removed any earlier.

@Yamaoka said:

I noticed.

Woow... That actually sounds awesome to me. I really enjoyed reading your descriptions. Thank you for taking your time to post this. You like flamethrowers as well, don't you? 🤔
  • EldritchElise87
    EldritchElise87 Member Posts: 626
    The balance would be that using a flame ability reduces both killers and survivors frames to single digits.
  • Yamaoka
    The balance would be that using a flame ability reduces both killers and survivors frames to single digits.
    Damn... You're right. I forgot doctor's awful frame drops and his ability is just a short and rather small visual effect. A huge flame would probably mori the game. 😂