The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

The hatch

I heard a rumor that update 2.2.0 was going to add a feature where the killer could close the hatch and the survivor(s) would need to complete another generator in order to open it again, this information even made it to the wiki but as far as I know, nothing of this sort was ever implemented. What happened?

Comments

• Poweas
    Poweas Member Posts: 5,873

Run save the best for last with an instadown killer like Billy or Myers. Have 6 stacks when ur obsession is dead and ez hatch counter.

• Poweas

I agree they should have implemented it but we did get a counter to be fair.

• Master
    Master Member Posts: 10,200

@Dr_Purple07 said:
    I heard a rumor that update 2.2.0 was going to add a feature where the killer could close the hatch and the survivor(s) would need to complete another generator in order to open it again, this information even made it to the wiki but as far as I know, nothing of this sort was ever implemented. What happened?

You know that feeling when your balls are immersed in cold water?
    That happened to the devs

• Master

@Poweas said:
    Run save the best for last with an instadown killer like Billy or Myers. Have 6 stacks when ur obsession is dead and ez hatch counter.

How does that counter the hatch? I dont get it

• Chicken
    Chicken Member Posts: 123

the hatch is... at least and delicate topic. no no. a hard to balance mechanic.
    because, if you kill 3 survivors.
    and thoose same survivors do atleast 2 gens
    you deserve to kill the last survivor just as much as the last survivor deserves to escape.
    BUT
    killing 3 survivors is MUCH more difficult than doing 2 gens even with ruin.
    the closing hatch option whould be awesome, give use to perks like sole Survivor, or Left Behind.

• Bongbingbing
    Bongbingbing Member Posts: 1,423

It was supposed to be implemented but they decided not to go with because once closed it became a game of hide and seek between killer and survivor that could last for god knows how long.
    So Instead of putting an aura read once hatch was closed and make the hatch an exciting race of who can find it first, they decided to scrap the idea entirely. :(

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 16,046

"exciting race of who can find it first".

The difference is that a Killer is moving faster over the Map than a Survivor, so the odds to find it first are higher. And that only goes for 110% and 115% Movement Speed-Killers, a Billy is even faster.

Furthermore a Killer does not have to hide from anything while the Survivor has to. Would not call this an "exciting race", it is more luck-based if the Survivor is close enough to the Hatch before the Killer manages to find it.

If you want a 4K, you have to slug. Deal with it.

• Chicken

i love how survivors who don't have an arguments say "hoho, jost diil witz it"
    its so cute

• Aven_Fallen

@Chicken said:
    i love how survivors who don't have an arguments say "hoho, jost diil witz it"
    its so cute

I love how people ignore the rest of the post and simply focus on one sentence where they can bring up a semi-funny response.

• Bongbingbing
    Bongbingbing Member Posts: 1,423

@Aven_Fallen said:

The difference is that a Killer is moving faster over the Map than a Survivor, so the odds to find it first are higher. And that only goes for 110% and 115% Movement Speed-Killers, a Billy is even faster.

Furthermore a Killer does not have to hide from anything while the Survivor has to. Would not call this an "exciting race", it is more luck-based if the Survivor is close enough to the Hatch before the Killer manages to find it.

Survivor could get a Haste when they're the last alive to even out some killers.
    You miss the whole point, Hatch is already a free escape, a reward for failing the objective and a slap in the face to a killer for doing their objective. It shouldn't be in the survivors favor.

Slugging for a 4k or hatch stand offs are tedious, I'd rather not. The game as it is now basically ends once the 3rd survivor is dead if u don't want to slug, you just accept that they've been given that free escape and wait, it's boring.

• Paddy4583
    Paddy4583 Member Posts: 864
    Tsulan said:
    Devs got cold feet. 
    They fear the backlash. 
    Rightly so it was not a great idea at all, the o my way it would be fair is if the killer has to stand there holding down his keys hitting skill checks for 80 seconds.
  • Aven_Fallen

@Bongbingbing said:

@Aven_Fallen said:

Survivor could get a Haste when they're the last alive to even out some killers.
    You miss the whole point, Hatch is already a free escape, a reward for failing the objective and a slap in the face to a killer for doing their objective. It shouldn't be in the survivors favor.

Slugging for a 4k or hatch stand offs are tedious, I'd rather not. The game as it is now basically ends once the 3rd survivor is dead if u don't want to slug, you just accept that they've been given that free escape and wait, it's boring.

The Hatch will be in Survivors favor everytime. Regardless of how you want to change it, there is no way the Hatch is in favor of the Killer, because he will not benefit from the Escape.

Well, slugging is no fun for the Survivor either. But that is the way it needs to be played for a 4K. And really.. Not every game needs to be a 4K or an Escape. I can only speak for myself, but I dont care if the last Survivor gets the Hatch or not. If he gets it before me, fine. If not, even better.
    If I am the last Survivor alive, I will try to find it. If the KIller is already there and I only need to do one more Gen, I will try this. If there is not really a possibility to get out except through the Hatch, I will wait shortly for the Killer to make a move and if he is not doing so (and giving me the Hatch by doing so), I will let him hook me, because there is no real point in wasting anyones time.

Sometimes I feel that both Survivors and Killers are thinking that only a 4 Man Escape or a 4K are the goals of this game. And then there are some smartasses that want to discredit opinions of other people by using semi-funny answers. Its just a game, dont cry about only having 3 Kills or not getting the Hatch gifted.

• twistedmonkey
    twistedmonkey Member Posts: 4,291
    As peanits said, it didn't fix the standoff issue it just moved it to another scenario.

Ignore those usual killer mains who think it's always due to the devs not wanting to upset survivors they are just heavily biased and wanted it flipped 180 so killers had the upper hand.

The devs want the hatch to be something which stops it being more one sided so both have an equal chance of the kill/escape.
  • IamFran
    IamFran Member Posts: 1,616

The hatch is a bad designed mechanic IMO.
    In first place, the survivor get rewarded for losing and sometimes the last survivor is who have played worse and the other survivors are annoyed by this. Also, the only counter against the hatch for both sides are the stand offs which is one of the most boring things in this game, I don't even participate in that ridiculous stand off patience battles anymore, if I'm playing killer I simply keep moving if a see the hatch instead camping it, sometimes I get the 4k but most of the times the last survivor scape, if I play survivor I try to find the hatch and if the killer is camping it I simply let him kill me, It's very annoying to left the other side win for free, specially when playing survivor, being a design flaw annoy me even more.
    Also, if the gates are opened the hatch should not open when only one survivor remain because it result frequently in the survivor wasting the time of the killer trying to find the hatch for getting some BP more.

• TwilightKitty10
    TwilightKitty10 Member Posts: 19
    There are so many scenarios for all the hatch complaints. People are referencing all the "bad" survivors that huddle around or who do nothing and escape. I've had it where I've done all the work and I don't know what the heck the others have done and then when they die, I'm happy the hatch opens because then at least I have a chance to win without having to complete all 5 generators. The last survivor does not have the opportunity to escape from the hook if they are the only survivor. Even if it's your first time being hooked, you die. And even if you didn't die immediately... The killer would just camp there to see if you get off. 
  • Autoliny
    Autoliny Member Posts: 76

I can't believe you kids are still crying about this stuff, get out of your plastic bubbles, not every game should be 4k or no k, really 3k is great, but no you gotta have that 4k to show how awesome you are with your Sloppy and Ruin perks, wow clearly pro's. who cares if one escapes, sure it's annoying if you're playing awesome and the last person hatch camp.

I tell you what will happen, if they had implemented that change then every single lobby would be SWF groups, and regardless of what people say, not every lobby is 4 man SWF groups.

• The_Crusader
    The_Crusader Member Posts: 3,688

I don't mind it I just hate how DS crutch user gets it for free. Every single time!!

Don't tell me to eat it early, that's how you get genrushed. It wastes too much time.

Its the fact that these people dont get the hatch on their own, a baby crutch gets it for them. It's also unfair to every person who never brought DS and got denied a hatch.

• Nikkiwhat
    Nikkiwhat Member Posts: 1,378
    edited February 2019
    As a person who plays both sides, I wish it would have a time limit for how long it would stay open...I dunno, maybe add a secondary objective to boost the time a little...but it being a free escape can be irksome, even if I escape quite a few times with it.

Had a match today where a Survivor sandbagged the rest of us, farmed Unhooked me twice and then got out because of Hatch and only because of the Hatch mechanic... 

I had worked on two Gens, finished one myself, scouted the map & cleared multiple totems (was vs Hag) found a Hex Totem but accidentally fast vaulted (ty game) amd jus so happened the Killer was already there and instantly this pos unhooked me with Killer there, killer downs me hooks me again and poof...unhooked by the same person and somehow the Killer never went after em... The same Survivor went to sandbag my GF who was with us, the other player DC'd and ofc the pos finds Hatch like 5 minutes later...no..they did not deserve to be rewarded for bad behavior.
  • Gamzello
    Gamzello Member Posts: 828

@Nikkiwhat said:
    As a person who plays both sides, I wish it would have a time limit for how long it would stay open...I dunno, maybe add a secondary objective to boost the time a little...but it being a free escape can be irksome, even if I escape quite a few times with it.

Had a match today where a Survivor sandbagged the rest of us, farmed Unhooked me twice and then got out because of Hatch and only because of the Hatch mechanic... 

I had worked on two Gens, finished one myself, scouted the map & cleared multiple totems (was vs Hag) found a Hex Totem but accidentally fast vaulted (ty game) amd jus so happened the Killer was already there and instantly this pos unhooked me with Killer there, killer downs me hooks me again and poof...unhooked by the same person and somehow the Killer never went after em... The same Survivor went to sandbag my GF who was with us, the other player DC'd and ofc the pos finds Hatch like 5 minutes later...no..they did not deserve to be rewarded for bad behavior.

I've had my own teammates (randoms) turn against me when it came to the hatch. When there was just two of us left, the guy kept following me around making loud noises to notify killer (jumping over pallets, body blocking me to attempt for me to DC, and even attempted to sandbag me when being chased on purpose). It's ridiculous how there are some players like this; and I actually can't stand for it.

Thing is: this hasn't happened just once or twice but at least three times overall. Trying to get hatch makes it extremely more intense for both sides and could take time. I hate hatch standoffs 100%.

• Poweas
    edited February 2019

@Master said:

@Poweas said:

The cooldown is fast enough to grab the survivor as they are jumping in.

Post edited by Poweas on
  • Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095
    Peanits said:
    It didn't work out well. Once the hatch was closed, the survivor basically had no chance to escape. Doing a solo generator takes 80 seconds, a killer could easily patrol the entire map in that time. If the survivor touched a generator, the killer would hear it and know they're nearby, so it just turned into the hide and seek world championships where the killer NASCAR'd around the map while the survivor waited for an 80 second long opening that would never come.

The end game is going to be looked into at some point, more details will be revealed when they're ready. But the closing hatch mechanic was scrapped because it didn't really fix the standoff issue, it just moved it to a generator standoff.
    Just remove the hatch and give us more perks for that specific situation.
    Left Behind could become meta.
  • Tsulan
    Paddy4583 said:
    Tsulan said:
    Devs got cold feet. 
    They fear the backlash. 
    Rightly so it was not a great idea at all, the o my way it would be fair is if the killer has to stand there holding down his keys hitting skill checks for 80 seconds.
    Sure, once the killer can also hit a skill check and destroy a repaired gen.
  • NMCKE
    NMCKE Member Posts: 8,243

@Poweas said:

Wait, how would that work? Are you talking about your attack CD being fast enough to pick up the survivor before they gain control?

• se05239
    se05239 Member Posts: 3,919

They decided to side with the majority.

• Tsulan
    se05239 said:

They decided to side with the majority.

What a surprise. 
  • Master

@Poweas said:

@Master said:

@Poweas said:

The coldown is fast enough to grab the survivor as they are jumping in.

Yeah but only if both survivors are afk on the closed hatch.....

• Poweas

@Master said:

@Poweas said:

@Master said:

@Poweas said:

The coldown is fast enough to grab the survivor as they are jumping in.

Yeah but only if both survivors are afk on the closed hatch.....

Oh you mean when there's 2. I was referring to one survivor :)

• Poweas

@Nickenzie said:

@Poweas said:

Wait, how would that work? Are you talking about your attack CD being fast enough to pick up the survivor before they gain control?

Yes. It's been done before by yours truly. Don't know if someones got it on the internet though, try searching it up. There might be one video of someone.

• Warlock_2020
    Warlock_2020 Member Posts: 1,867

The hatch is what it is. There are much bigger issues to be fixed. It does not bother me as a killer, or a survivor. Honestly, if the killer is guarding the hatch, I go look at gens. If the survivor is not around the hatch, I seek them out and trap the hatch. If I get them, great, if not so what? Next game please. I'm not entitled to the 4th kill, nor am I entitled to the hatch escape. Both are earned one way or another. If I really want to 4k, I slug the 3rd, or I kill them before 2 gens are done - of which has happened a ton during this event. Ruin+Huntress+OC seems to be magic right now. Lots of potatoes playing survivor.

I'd rather see DS, Fredd, Trapper (extra trap capacity), new objectives, new game modes, and hitboxes fixed before anything about the hatch. Seriously.

• Chicken

Would it make any diference if the killer kicking the hatch made it just Change position? so... if the killer is standing in the hatch, you can do gens.
    if the survivor is just standing there looking at you, you can kick the hatch and hit him.
    it would be too risky for the killer to leave the hatch or to kick it when he doesn't know where the survivor is because he can be there, standing beside it
    or he can be closer to the new hatch spawn.
    what do you guys think?