The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

My Lobby-Dodge free month

I'll hold my claws up. My name is JawsIsTheNextKiller and I was a Lobby Dodger. 3 or 4 man SWF? Dodge. 3 or 4 flashlights? Dodge. I gave myself a challenge on rank reset - To prepare for the new matchmaking I will accept every challenge!

So how did I do? It turns out I suck! I've had a huge struggle to rank up as killer. But you know what? It's fixed my discomfort at ranking up too quickly. I feel more comfortable at the poor rank I am at and I genuinely feel that I am improving because I am with other people just as bad as I am.

If you are a mid-rank lobby-dodging killer I encourage you to do the same and try it out. It will be tough but when the new matchmaking arrives and you won't know whether your victims are solos or swf but by then it won't matter and you will have an advantage.

Comments

• se05239
    se05239 Member Posts: 3,919

Shame you didn't keep proper statistics to show us. More fun that way.

• OrionsFury4789
    OrionsFury4789 Member Posts: 637

I'll hold my claws up. My name is JawsIsTheNextKiller and I was a Lobby Dodger. 3 or 4 man SWF? Dodge. 3 or 4 flashlights? Dodge. I gave myself a challenge on rank reset - To prepare for the new matchmaking I will accept every challenge!

So how did I do? It turns out I suck! I've had a huge struggle to rank up as killer. But you know what? It's fixed my discomfort at ranking up too quickly. I feel more comfortable at the poor rank I am at and I genuinely feel that I am improving because I am with other people just as bad as I am.

If you are a mid-rank lobby-dodging killer I encourage you to do the same and try it out. It will be tough but when the new matchmaking arrives and you won't know whether your victims are solos or swf but by then it won't matter and you will have an advantage.

Props to you man I'm glad you decided to just play whatever is in front of you, I'm sure the next time you rank up and run into some of those guys you'll be surprised how much you've improved your game, I'd say the salt will be real on some that have tried to troll in the past, I first started  to main as trapper back when they could sabo all the traps and they were permanently gone lol if you ran into the right ones you felt powerless especially with everything availabe back then, I dodged a few until I realized I wasn't getting any better running from the problem and I needed to learn how to beat it , needless to say when I did run into some of those guys later me being more skilled than before , I drew some hate messages telling me my family should get in a car crash and burn to death because they've wrecked me in the past and that match means nothing to them lol
  • Master
    Master Member Posts: 10,200

@JawsIsTheNextKiller said:

The new matchmaking is already here (at least for me).
    I only dodge toxic survivors and streamers

• thesuicidefox
    thesuicidefox Member Posts: 8,223
    edited February 2019

I'll dodge people I just played against, win or lose. It's not fun to always play against the same people, especially if you are running the same build. Good news is that I know they didn't wait long for a lobby because we just finished a game. If I play like 5 games then see you again I'll stick around.

If you were a toxic survivor I bring a mori and end your life in the first 60 seconds. You will wish I dodged you.

I take on all challenges. I've played against some 4 man SWF groups that I KNOW were going to be really hard because I know the survivors, and a few times I got bodied but other times I bodied them. It all depends on what happens in the game. If you get one good basement hook that can change everything. It sucks to lose but it makes you a better killer. Just like not using Ruin or NOED or chase perks can make you a better killer.

But I try to avoid Ruin/NOED on most of my killers. I run NOED now on my Trapper just to counter gen rush, but most of the time I don't even need it. It's only ever necessary when I just get a bad game with bad RNG or something. Plus I need to use it with Thanatophobia so I can call the build "Bone Collector" xD Right now Ruin is only a permanent fix on my Huntress because she kinda needs it more than others. I also have it on Hag, but it's her perk, and I'm thinking of switching to Devour or something instead. Used it a few times recently on Spirit, but I p3'd her and I'm still unlocking perks, it's not even tier 3 Ruin, so I have to use what I got. Once I got everything I will do on her what I'm doing on my Trapper, Thana + Sloppy, to slow the game, then Spies/Whispers and prolly BBQ.

• HavelmomDaS1
    HavelmomDaS1 Member Posts: 1,948
    Just learn nurse and you don't have to dodge anything 
  • friendlykillermain
    friendlykillermain Member Posts: 3,162

@HavelmomDaS1 said:
    Just learn nurse and you don't have to dodge anything 

yeah they have to dodge you

• fcc2014
    fcc2014 Member Posts: 4,388

@JawsIsTheNextKiller just curious by not dodging are you seeing different game play and have you started adapting your play and adjusting loadouts/perks based on that?

• JawsIsTheNextKiller
    JawsIsTheNextKiller Member Posts: 3,360

@fcc2014 said:
    @JawsIsTheNextKiller just curious by not dodging are you seeing different game play and have you started adapting your play and adjusting loadouts/perks based on that?

What I am seeing is a gulf in abilities. If I am up against four solos, they play like the level they are on and I tend to get a really good win out of it, but when I play 3 or 4 in a SWF, they tend to be all extremely skilled. Of course being on comms they are well organised but they also tend to be amazing loopers, know their positioning, can bait their exhaustion perks well and hit all their skill checks even when they show up at the end of the match as only at rank 15!

I adjust my addons and offering based on how I think I can do. If I am facing an SWF with 4 toolboxes I pick my worst loadouts so that I don't waste them because I am depipping no matter what.

Flashlight SWF teams on the other hand surprised me - I expected to always get destroyed but it tends to be people playing just to have fun performing unsafe unhooks, sandbagging eachother, pointing at lockers etc. I expect to earn some points so I make sure to offer party streamers or similar.

• JawsIsTheNextKiller

@thesuicidefox said:

But I try to avoid Ruin/NOED on most of my killers. I run NOED now on my Trapper just to counter gen rush, but most of the time I don't even need it. It's only ever necessary when I just get a bad game with bad RNG or something. Plus I need to use it with Thanatophobia so I can call the build "Bone Collector" xD Right now Ruin is only a permanent fix on my Huntress because she kinda needs it more than others. I also have it on Hag, but it's her perk, and I'm thinking of switching to Devour or something instead. Used it a few times recently on Spirit, but I p3'd her and I'm still unlocking perks, it's not even tier 3 Ruin, so I have to use what I got. Once I got everything I will do on her what I'm doing on my Trapper, Thana + Sloppy, to slow the game, then Spies/Whispers and prolly BBQ.

I also stay away from NoEd for no other reason that I do not want to rank up higher than my confort zone. I would put it on Freddy but I haven't unlocked it on him yet. As for Ruin, I'm still relying on that right now but it would be great to ditch it because it only stays up against solo survivors.

• JawsIsTheNextKiller

@se05239 said:

The stat I would love to have is to see the teams at the end of the game. Sometimes I think I'm up against an SWF but I can't be sure.

3 or more SWF survivors and I tend to depip, My pips are mostly coming from the solo games.

Last season rank 7 (with dodging) was relatively easy. This season because I accepted all challenges I dropped all the way down rank 15 with zero pips. I'm surprised BHVR didn't make an exception and drop me back to rank 20 with the newbies lol.

• Tzeentchling9
    Tzeentchling9 Member Posts: 1,796
    se05239 said:

Survivor mains just ignore and red herring stats that don't work for them anyway(see: Marth's experiments).
  • Gorgonia
    Gorgonia Member Posts: 1,607
    You can have trials vs solo players and still depip. Those swf guys that you say are great loopers do play solo as well and that doesn’t reduce their skill. Good survivors can organize well even without voice comm
  • PiiFree
    PiiFree Member Posts: 1,154

@Gorgonia said:
    You can have trials vs solo players and still depip. Those swf guys that you say are great loopers do play solo as well and that doesn’t reduce their skill. Good survivors can organize well even without voice comm

Sure, yes, but it requires them to actually be good. Constant map awareness is required for that.

Voice communication eliminated that criteria because you can simply exchange all relevant informations via discord / ts / skype or whatever software you use.

No matter how you twist is, playing with voice communication turns the game in "Easy mode" compared to solos.

• JawsIsTheNextKiller

@Gorgonia said:

I'm not saying solos are less skilled. We are talking about the lower half of the ranks here. I feel like the solos that I have encountered at the lesser ranks have been ranked appropriately.

However, I feel that the SWF players, when judged individually, are deserving of much higher ranking than the end of game summary has placed them at.

All this assumes that I correctly identify who is SWF and who is not which is by no means a certainty.

• Gorgonia
    Gorgonia Member Posts: 1,607

@Gorgonia said:

I'm not saying solos are less skilled. We are talking about the lower half of the ranks here. I feel like the solos that I have encountered at the lesser ranks have been ranked appropriately.

However, I feel that the SWF players, when judged individually, are deserving of much higher ranking than the end of game summary has placed them at.

All this assumes that I correctly identify who is SWF and who is not which is by no means a certainty.

That’s because you’re not considering the fact they depip on purpose.
  • Master
    Master Member Posts: 10,200

@Gorgonia said:

Of course that can happen. A good group of solos can easily make your life terrible if they focus on objectives and know the basics, but due to the rank system the probability that 4 of such guys get into the same lobby is really low.

• thesuicidefox
    thesuicidefox Member Posts: 8,223

@JawsIsTheNextKiller said:

@thesuicidefox said:

I also stay away from NoEd for no other reason that I do not want to rank up higher than my confort zone. I would put it on Freddy but I haven't unlocked it on him yet. As for Ruin, I'm still relying on that right now but it would be great to ditch it because it only stays up against solo survivors.

I think once you have a solid killer game then you can run whatever you want and it won't negatively impact your skill. I could take NOED off my Trapper but it's there in those few cases where I get gen rushed and actually need something for end game. On my Billy and Nurse I run Blood Warden instead of NOED because they can make the most of it, but Trapper not having extra movement options I feel like NOED is a better choice for him.

IMO one of the most important things as killer is your build. I try to have a balanced build; some tracking perks, some game slowing perks, and then an ace-in-the-hole perk like BW or NOED. Strategy for killers is important in this game. If you have a messy build/no strategy then you will get bodied a lot.