The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

New to game and wondering: Why is there no toggle crouch or resolution change?

So already, this game is leaving a very bad impression for me. I haven't even gotten INTO the game yet, but notice the options are terribly lacking in the VERY BASICS. No ability to change screen resolution in the options (which is the dumbest thing I've ever seen in a PC video game), and no option to toggle crouch?

How is it that devs can get away with lacking the very basics when it comes to options? I could forgive crouch toggle, but why in the flying hells should I be forced to edit an .ini file JUST to change my screen rez? If the devs ever see this, come ON; every modern day game has these very basic game options.

I'll still give the game a shot, but that right there throws up some HUGE red flags for me.

Comments

• Okapi
    Okapi Member Posts: 839

The games graphic options are piss poor. Which doesn't help with how poor the optimization is. Dead by Daylight doesn't even run in Exclusive Fullscreen! You can't do anything about it which causes heavy drops in performance.

There was supposed to be an optimization patch released in December that would benefit low rig PCs and consoles but their plans changed and now optimization will come in a series of updates between now and Summer when the game gets dedicated servers.

All I want is exclusive fullscreen and proper rendering resolutions so I can finally play this game on my GPD Win 2.

• SIlentCetra
    SIlentCetra Member Posts: 187

@Okapi said:
    The games graphic options are piss poor. Which doesn't help with how poor the optimization is. Dead by Daylight doesn't even run in Exclusive Fullscreen! You can't do anything about it which causes heavy drops in performance.

There was supposed to be an optimization patch released in December that would benefit low rig PCs and consoles but their plans changed and now optimization will come in a series of updates between now and Summer when the game gets dedicated servers.

All I want is exclusive fullscreen and proper rendering resolutions so I can finally play this game on my GPD Win 2.

That is just REALLY surprising for me, tbh. But, it does sound like these will be options in the future? FOr a game about 2 years old though WOW.

On another note, looked up on youtube a beginner's survivor guide, but they all seem to be pretty outdated. Best one I found on a quick search was a guide from 4 months ago--would that still be accurate to the current version, or close to it?

• Snapshot
    Snapshot Member Posts: 914

In my opinion, it's just ignorance coming straight from the devs. End of story.

• Master
    Master Member Posts: 10,200

@SIlentCetra said:
    So already, this game is leaving a very bad impression for me. I haven't even gotten INTO the game yet, but notice the options are terribly lacking in the VERY BASICS. No ability to change screen resolution in the options (which is the dumbest thing I've ever seen in a PC video game), and no option to toggle crouch?

How is it that devs can get away with lacking the very basics when it comes to options? I could forgive crouch toggle, but why in the flying hells should I be forced to edit an .ini file JUST to change my screen rez? If the devs ever see this, come ON; every modern day game has these very basic game options.

I'll still give the game a shot, but that right there throws up some HUGE red flags for me.

Dont even get me started on the options..... its like were living in the last century

• Vietfox
    Vietfox Member Posts: 3,823
    @Master said:

@SIlentCetra said:

Dont even get me started on the options..... its like were living in the last century

Am i the only one who thought about the 19th century instead of the 20th one?
  • SIlentCetra

@Vietfox said:
    @Master said:

@SIlentCetra said:

Am i the only one who thought about the 19th century instead of the 20th one?

LMAO, there's a sure sign that you are old. Just like me!! :D

• DocOctober
    DocOctober Member Posts: 2,230

The in-game graphics settings are pretty barren on purpose. The devs didn't want people to be able to gain potentially unfair advantages by tweaking specific settings.

As for why it doesn't run in exclusive fullscreen, that's mostly to prevent any crashes related to tabbing in and out of fullscreen.

• SIlentCetra

@DocOctober said:
    The in-game graphics settings are pretty barren on purpose. The devs didn't want people to be able to gain potentially unfair advantages by tweaking specific settings.

As for why it doesn't run in exclusive fullscreen, that's mostly to prevent any crashes related to tabbing in and out of fullscreen.

While I can see that, there ARE workarounds. PUBG manages it, by making settings not effect foliage at all. DBD could do something similar, by not having any brightness settings, and any graphical changes specifically not effecting foliage and shadows. Instead, offer the basics. Antiscropic filtering, anti-aliasing, framerate (having been playing PC the last 4 or 5 years, I DO notice a difference in framerate, especially the jump from 30 to 60 and the jump from 60 to 100+. I like having a framerate in the 100s if I can, it just looks so much smoother.

But aside from that, I really do fail to see how allowing the very basics of video options would give anyone an unfair advantage. How would allowing me to access my screen resolution from the options menu effect my gameplay in any way? How would letting me choose my WINDOWED resolution in any way affect me in game? How would letting me have a borderless window option so I don't have to alt-tab to get to my second monitor to change a youtube video, or reply to a friend on steam chat or discord effect my gameplay in any way? (And I'm not talking about communication with in game people, none of my friends play the game--just people I may be chatting with while I am playing a game).

It's just an excuse for the devs, and the sooner we as consumers stop giving devs free passes for crap like that, the sooner they start to realize they are making games FOR us and we don't have to and won't put up with having a lack of VERY basic options and optimization features that were present in games even as far back as a decade ago!

• Master
    Master Member Posts: 10,200

@DocOctober said:

Thats just a bad excuse.
    Other games, even real competitive ones, offer graphic optiosn too
    Prevent crashes? Yeah maybe fix the goddamn game then

• HavelmomDaS1
    HavelmomDaS1 Member Posts: 1,948

@Okapi said:

That is just REALLY surprising for me, tbh. But, it does sound like these will be options in the future? FOr a game about 2 years old though WOW.

On another note, looked up on youtube a beginner's survivor guide, but they all seem to be pretty outdated. Best one I found on a quick search was a guide from 4 months ago--would that still be accurate to the current version, or close to it?

Link the video and I can judge for you. There are ways to do set up as you wish.
  • SIlentCetra

@HavelmomDaS1 said:
    SIlentCetra said:

@Okapi said:

Link the video and I can judge for you. There are ways to do set up as you wish.

This video here:

https://youtu.be/r_Ni0Na0Jv8

• DocOctober
    DocOctober Member Posts: 2,230

@Master said:

@DocOctober said:

Thats just a bad excuse.
    Other games, even real competitive ones, offer graphic optiosn too
    Prevent crashes? Yeah maybe fix the goddamn game then

It's the official reasoning they have given us as such complaints have arisen already back in 2016. Don't shoot the messenger.

• blue4zion
    blue4zion Member Posts: 2,773

@SIlentCetra said:

@HavelmomDaS1 said:
    SIlentCetra said:

@Okapi said:

This video here:

https://youtu.be/r_Ni0Na0Jv8

I love H&R Block's beginner's guide. 16/10