The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Spies from the Shadows--is it good to use?

So I just recently saw this perk on my bloodweb for the hillbilly. Is it a decent perk? It SOUNDS decent, but then, even at the low ranks I play on right now, it seems that crows don't often get set off, unless it's by me. But maybe people don't care about crows at the higher ranks?

Anyways, bearing in mind I have NO DLC characters besides the free nurse, ergo no DLC perks, is this one viable to use? Or would I Just be wasting a perk slot?

Comments

• DemonDaddy
    DemonDaddy Member Posts: 4,167
    Works great when there is a good amount of crows on the map. Otherwise a few maps have little crow density and you may find it almost useless. I found it most effective on map perimeters but less so near the center.
  • SIlentCetra
    SIlentCetra Member Posts: 187

@DemonDaddy said:
    Works great when there is a good amount of crows on the map. Otherwise a few maps have little crow density and you may find it almost useless. I found it most effective on map perimeters but less so near the center.

Thanks. I may end up using it for my 3rd perk slot in a couple levels when I unlock it. At least until I can get something better.

• SnakeSound222
    SnakeSound222 Member Posts: 4,467
    edited February 2019

@SIlentCetra said:
    So I just recently saw this perk on my bloodweb for the hillbilly. Is it a decent perk? It SOUNDS decent, but then, even at the low ranks I play on right now, it seems that crows don't often get set off, unless it's by me. But maybe people don't care about crows at the higher ranks?

I've heard it's a pretty good perk, haven't used it myself though.

Anyways, bearing in mind I have NO DLC characters besides the free nurse, ergo no DLC perks,

Not even Huntress? She's a free DLC, you just have to download her from the store.

• PigNRun
    PigNRun Member Posts: 2,428
    edited February 2019

@SnakeSound222 said:

@SIlentCetra said:
    Anyways, bearing in mind I have NO DLC characters besides the free nurse, ergo no DLC perks,

Not even Huntress? She's a free DLC, you just have to download her from the store.

Is that a console thing? Because on Steam it comes automatically unlocked with the main game.

• Crizpen
    Crizpen Member Posts: 129

@SIlentCetra said:

Anyways, bearing in mind I have NO DLC characters besides the free nurse, ergo no DLC perks, is this one viable to use? Or would I Just be wasting a perk slot?

It definitely got better with the buff. Survivors are very unconcerned with setting off crows, so you'll get a lot of information from it. That said, keep in mind that the information is always old.

Meaning, if a survivor is running and sets off a crow 30 meters away, you know they were there when they set off the crow, but where did they get to while you traveled to where the crows were? If you can predict their direction, or pick up scratch marks after they set the crows off, it's great. If you fall into the trap of chasing crow alerts though, you're always going where they were, not where they are.

As far as compared to other informational perks, I would rate it above whispers since it's far more precise, but below any aura revealing perks such as BBQ, Discordance, or Surveillance.

• SnakeSound222
    SnakeSound222 Member Posts: 4,467

@PigNRun said:

@SnakeSound222 said:

@SIlentCetra said:

Is that a console thing? Because on Steam it comes automatically unlocked with the main game.

I think it is. I remember having to download Huntress from the PS Store.

• SIlentCetra

@SnakeSound222 said:

@SIlentCetra said:

I've heard it's a pretty good perk, haven't used it myself though.

Ah, I do have huntress. I didn't realize she wasn't one of the vanilla killers, my bad :p

• The_Crusader
    The_Crusader Member Posts: 3,688
    Great on macmillan maps, useless on coldwind maps.

Autohaven seems ok, lerys is great.
  • thesuicidefox
    thesuicidefox Member Posts: 8,223
    edited February 2019

I found it definitely better than before. Survivors generally ignore crows so it can work really well for you.

That said, on most maps there aren't enough crows AND the few crows there are you can usually see fly away when you are close enough anyway (telling you a survivor is there). On top of that, for a map like Lery's where there are tons of crows, Spies is actually SUPER obnoxious. It's just constant explosions and it's like "dude I know where the survivor is STFU stupid birds".

• White_Owl
    White_Owl Member Posts: 3,786
    edited February 2019

It's a good perk, but it's extremely map-dependant. On some maps like Lery's and MacMillan it's so great it not only allows you to know where survivors are, but even where they are going, in Coldwind maps it's a wasted perk slot. All in all is a nice perk with potential to be great if devs will balance crows across the maps.

• MegaWaffle
    MegaWaffle Member Posts: 4,172

@SIlentCetra said:

Completely debatable since there are better perks out there however it is still a good perk.
    I use to run the perk a decent amount before the buff came out. It allows you to have a pseudo-Doctor terror radius effect on any killer you equip it. Take that for what you will but it helps find people who don't pay attention for crows (and honestly who actually looks out for crows, aside from Pale Rose).

Since they added new visual updates to the alerts its even easier to pinpoint where people are moving. If you have trouble prioritizing the notifications it may be best to take a step back, after all you can't chase every one you find.

• Nikkiwhat
    Nikkiwhat Member Posts: 1,378
    I personally wouldn't bother with using Spies, there are a ton of tracking Perks in the game that are more reliable and useful imo.  I'd say work towards getting those: Discordance, Survellaince, BBQ & Chili, Nurse's Calling and even Stridor has been pretty useful as well.

I'd say use another Perk over Spies, even if it isn't a tracking Perk.
  • ClogWench
    ClogWench Member Posts: 2,582
    If you don't have a lot of good perks yet then be yes, compared to some of the generic perks killers get it's actually very powerful. Once you have access to BBQ, Discordance, etc then I'd leave it but for now yeah it's a good tracking perk.
  • SIlentCetra

@ClogWench said:
    If you don't have a lot of good perks yet then be yes, compared to some of the generic perks killers get it's actually very powerful. Once you have access to BBQ, Discordance, etc then I'd leave it but for now yeah it's a good tracking perk.

Yeah right now, I don't have much for perk choices, so it's slim pickings for me :P

• MegMain98
    MegMain98 Member Posts: 2,913

It’s not always reliable as it has a direct counter with Calm Spirit. Not a lot of players use Calm Spirit but I’m just saying that Spies is not always 100% reliable. There are better tracking perks like BBQ, Surveillance, and Bitter Murmur.