The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Hook mechanic

Cymer
Cymer Member Posts: 946

How does kobe works?

Evertime I get 2 people or more on a hook one down and the last in the chase someone kobes. Really. Everytime!
Am I just unlucky or are there hidden mechanics?

Comments

• MegaWaffle
    MegaWaffle Member Posts: 4,172

4% baseline chance (without using offerings/perks) to free yourself per unhook attempt.
    Basically 4% chance to get a free second chance. Some people will fight until they are blue in the face that this is "fine/balanced" but just imagine the hate that would pour into the forums if killers had a 4% chance to instantly put someone into phase 2 when hooked for the first time.

• Cymer
    Cymer Member Posts: 946

@MegaWaffle said:
    4% baseline chance (without using offerings/perks) to free yourself per unhook attempt.
    Basically 4% chance to get a free second chance. Some people will fight until they are blue in the face that this is "fine/balanced" but just imagine the hate that would pour into the forums if killers had a 4% chance to instantly put someone into phase 2 when hooked for the first time.

Interresting proposal...4% chance to skip a hook.

Is it always 4% or does it goes up if 2 or more people are on the hook?

• Dokta_Carter
    Dokta_Carter Member Posts: 614
    Cymer said:

@MegaWaffle said:

Interresting proposal...4% chance to skip a hook.

Is it always 4% or does it goes up if 2 or more people are on the hook?

I think it's base 4% cross the board and it increases from luck? I dont know but i have only once in my gamea have had a kobe off the hook
  • NurseMainBTW
    NurseMainBTW Member Posts: 531

It's 4% plus any luck offering/perk in the game.

Slippery meat also helps here giving more attempts to unhook. I won't count deliverance since that's a guaranteed unhook attempt.

• NurseMainBTW
    NurseMainBTW Member Posts: 531

@brokedownpalace

Agree. If you're hooked and there's someone else still live you often NEVER want to try freeing yourself unless you are trying to give the hatch to a teammate.

• HavelmomDaS1
    HavelmomDaS1 Member Posts: 1,948
    edited February 2019
    I'm pretty sure the 4% is a lie. Whenever it goes really downhill for the survivors and I'm having the 4k basically in the pocket -> Kobe. Sometimes even 2 Kobes. And this happens in 95% of my games.
  • SIlentCetra
    SIlentCetra Member Posts: 187

@HavelmomDaS1 said:
    I'm pretty sure the 4% is a lie. Whenever it goes really downhill for the survivors and I'm having the 4k basically in the pocket -> Kobe. Sometimes even 2 Kobes. And this happens in 95% of my games.

No , if anything 4% seems generous. I have not yet personally escaped a hook, nor have I seen any teammates successfully escape a hook. From what I've seen in the games I have played, most people don't even try anymore. It seems to me basically a throwaway mechanic, because it is basically doomed to fail unless you are super, super lucky and if you fail, then that's it. Over.

• Delfador
    Delfador Member Posts: 2,552

@MegaWaffle said:

Your logic is flawed.

Correct analogy would be this.

Killers have a 4% chance to instantly put someone into phase 2 when hooked for the first time. Thus, it will give killers 1 less hook meaning that they can be hooked 2 times

Survivors have a 4% chance to unhook themselves and get rid of the hook process, meaning that when the killer gets them for the second time and hooks them, it will count as if the survivor isn't hooked at all. Thus, it will give survivors 1 more hook meaning that they can be hooked 4 times.

When survivors escape via 4% kobe, they still skip to the next phase, the only difference is that they don't require a teammate.

• Coriander
    Coriander Member Posts: 1,119

It's extremely risky to even attempt an escape. The time reduces drastically, time your team could use either saving you or pushing Gens. And if you fail all attempts, you don't just get to Struggle, you lose some of that phase as well, reducing the time even more.

• MegaWaffle

@brokedownpalace said:
    MegaWaffle said:

Lol what? You still advance a hook stage. And if you fail you lose an entire 60 seconds plus lose a decent chunk out of the struggle stage. What will the killer be losing in your dream balance scenario?

People will literally complain about every single aspect of this game.

The scenario you are explaining is the other 96% of trying to unhook, not the 4% I was talking about.
    I'm really not sure why you bothered writing this if it isn't even responding to what I was saying.

• @MegaWaffle said:

@brokedownpalace said:
    MegaWaffle said:

Lol what? You still advance a hook stage. And if you fail you lose an entire 60 seconds plus lose a decent chunk out of the struggle stage. What will the killer be losing in your dream balance scenario?

The scenario you are explaining is the other 96% of trying to unhook, not the 4% I was talking about.
    I'm really not sure why you bothered writing this if it isn't even responding to what I was saying.

He did answer what you said, attempting to escape carries a huge risk with a low chance of a huge reward.
    Having 4% chance of skiping to the 2nd stage carries no risk with a low chance of a huge reward. They are not on the same level.

• MegaWaffle

@ThGameIsHardButSoAmI said:

@MegaWaffle said:

@brokedownpalace said:
    MegaWaffle said:

He did answer what you said, attempting to escape carries a huge risk with a low chance of a huge reward.
    Having 4% chance of skiping to the 2nd stage carries no risk with a low chance of a huge reward. They are not on the same level.

Except I wasn't talking about the risk of going for a "kobe" but rather the fact that you have a 4% baseline chance to escape by yourself. I never mentioned anything about the risk because that isn't what the OP was asking in their original question. So no the response I got had nothing to do with what I wrote but rather tried to poke a hole into something I never even mentioned.

• Yeah, i understand what you are saying, but what I mean is that there isn't a 4% chance of you unhooking yourself because you don't try to escape (or at least you shouldn't) every time because there's a risk associated with it. If you hook all 4 survivors in a match, 90% of the games they won't try to kobe themselves, but a 4% chance of skiping a phase applies that chance every time you hook a survivor. I think this what he meant.

• HavelmomDaS1
    HavelmomDaS1 Member Posts: 1,948
    TAG said:
    Somehow I doubt it happens in 95% of your games.
    Not 95% of my total games, but 95% of my games when I completely stomp/outskill the survivors which happens in like 25% of all my games
  • e8Lattice
    e8Lattice Member Posts: 189
    edited February 2019

@MegaWaffle said:

Imagine if Killers had a 100% chance to instantly put someone into phase 4 (death) without having to take them to a hook. . ..OH WAIT! they have that!

-cough-ToxicMoriCrutch-cough-

• MegaWaffle

@e8Lattice said:

@MegaWaffle said:

Imagine if Killers had a 100% chance to instantly put someone into phase 4 (death) without having to take them to a hook. . ..OH WAIT! they have that!

Sure except that's an add-on and not a baseline mechanic.

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871
    TAG said:
    Not 95% of my total games, but 95% of my games when I completely stomp/outskill the survivors which happens in like 25% of all my games
    Strange, I wonder why it feels like those percentages are arbitrarily chosen.
  • Delfador
    Delfador Member Posts: 2,552

@MegaWaffle

How about my response? I don't want to repeat it, you can see it if you scroll up.

• MegaWaffle

@Delfador said:
    @MegaWaffle

How about my response? I don't want to repeat it, you can see it if you scroll up.

Sorry it rarely seems to notify me when people respond. I agree completely that my logic/comparison in terms of 4% was off, I was mostly trying to point out that even though its a small % chance it can still have a big effect on a match.

• NMCKE
    NMCKE Member Posts: 8,243
    TAG said:
    I think he's referring to Deliverance, a perk that guarantees a kobe.
  • TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871
    Nickenzie said:
    TAG said:
    You can see in their original comment that they are clearly referring to the 4% kobe.
  • Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

Base 4% per attempt, following a binomial distribution. With the base number of attempts (3), there's around an 11.5% chance of a survivor unhooking themselves if they use all three attempts. Both the probability and the number of attempts can be altered by perks.

• e8Lattice
    e8Lattice Member Posts: 189

@MegaWaffle said:

@e8Lattice said:

@MegaWaffle said:

Sure except that's an add-on and not a baseline mechanic.

Still 100% chance for an add on vs 4% chance for a baseline mechanic so their certainly getting their bang for their toxicity buck.

• weirdkid5
    weirdkid5 Member Posts: 2,144

Yknow normally I would agree the Survivors are pretty unbalanced, but the self unhook is not one of them.

It's a 4% chance, you still advance a stage on the hook regardless, and if you actually unhook yourself on the attempt that WOULD have put you into stage 2 (i.e., the third attempt, or one RIGHT before you go to struggle), then you simply die on your 2nd hook and you skip the struggle phase.

It's fine. It really doesn't happen that often. I've played close to 1k hours and I'd say I've unhooked myself maybe, MAYBE close to 40 or 50 times.
  • NMCKE
    NMCKE Member Posts: 8,243
    edited February 2019
    TAG said:
    Nickenzie said:
    TAG said:
    You can see in their original comment that they are clearly referring to the 4% kobe.
    He might not know the difference between a 4% and a Deliverance.
  • NoShinyPony
    NoShinyPony Member Posts: 4,570

@HavelmomDaS1 said:

With 3 attempts at a self-unhook, the chances are a little less than 12% per survivor. If 2 or 3 survivors are attempting, chances increase to about 23%/34% percent that one of the attempts is successful. (I'm not getting my calculator to get the super exact numbers.)

That does not even include any luck offerings or perk.