The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

CONFESSION: I lobby dodged +20 times in a row, but I have a good reason...

thesuicidefox
thesuicidefox Member Posts: 8,223
edited February 2019 in General Discussions

My friends were online in a 4 man SWF. My one friend was streaming, so when they finished their game I semi-stream sniped her to get them in my lobby (turned off the stream once we got to a loading screen). I was SPECIFICALLY dodging so I could get them into my lobby, not because of anything the players entering my lobby had or who they were. In fact, the moment anyone would join and it wasn't them I left to reset.

BTW Trapper, 4k (I did have a pink mori just for them 😘, but I didn't use it until I had 4 stacks of BBQ AND got 2 hooks on a few AND they had 1 gen left), also NOED but that's always on my Trapper, played fair and kept it fun (no camping/tunneling). My one friend got super mad at me and I had to give them a pink key to make up for my evils. Pretty sure I'll be left to die on a hook for a few games after this. But it was SO worth it LOL.

However this brought to my attention something seriously messed up with the matchmaking system. Like I said, I was watching her stream and from the moment they finished a game and searched a new one I went hunting. They sat in a lobby WAITING for maybe 10 minutes of nothing, while I would reset my lobby over and over again. Sometimes I would get the same survivors! On top of that, they are all rank 1 and I'm a rank 1 killer, it should totally prioritize putting them into my lobby before ANYONE else. I mostly got solo survivors, not groups. I did get a few pairs (I think, coulda just been joins at the same time), and I think at least 1 other 4 man before I got them.

It's honestly a bit obscene how many other survivors found my game before they did. It wasn't even like they would find a game and get dodged themselves, they just... sat in a lobby the whole time. I really hope by the time dedicated servers come around BHVR finds ways to speed up the wait times. It's the same thing when I play with them too, so this wasn't like a fluke. We get this all the time as a group.

Comments

• fluffybunny
    fluffybunny Member Posts: 2,161

Somehow that doesn't sound um... "good."

• thesuicidefox

@fluffybunny said:
    Somehow that doesn't sound um... "good."

Yes, it was quite evil 😈 plus risking friendships and all. WORTH IT

• SIlentCetra
    SIlentCetra Member Posts: 187

I have suspected the matchmaking is #########. I'm rank 17, and have ended up with much higher ranked killers/servs in my games. And in those moments, I feel like I may as well give up. As a new player, I have no counterplay to those who have made their way into high ranks. I literally don't know what to do to stop them because I haven't scraped my way that high yet. It is VERY deflating when it happens.

• thesuicidefox

@SIlentCetra said:
    I have suspected the matchmaking is [BAD WORD]. I'm rank 17, and have ended up with much higher ranked killers/servs in my games. And in those moments, I feel like I may as well give up. As a new player, I have no counterplay to those who have made their way into high ranks. I literally don't know what to do to stop them because I haven't scraped my way that high yet. It is VERY deflating when it happens.

Yes. This is another thing I see a lot. I get yellow/white ranks in my killer games often. IDK if they are in an SWF group, but it seems like they are not. And they get completely destroyed, I feel so bad about it when I see their ranks at the end of the game. I'll even go out of my way to give freebies to those few really BAD survivors if I'm winning by a large margin and can afford it, but they still die fast. As survivor too it happens. I was in a 2 man with one of my friends that I killed in the game mentioned in the OP. Both of us are red ranks. We sat in a lobby FOREVER and when we finally got a game it was against a yellow rank (14 or something) Huntress that stood absolutely no chance of catching either of us. It's unfair, we weren't even in an SWF with low ranks either. We found her Lullaby, she chased us for ages, we rushed like 3 gens at the start just between the 2 of us, then we took out her NOED super quick before she even hit anyone. I don't get how good survivors can derank just to play against killers like this. It's not at all challenging and just pure bullying. Makes me sick to think people do that.

• SIlentCetra
    SIlentCetra Member Posts: 187

@thesuicidefox said:

@SIlentCetra said:
    I have suspected the matchmaking is [BAD WORD]. I'm rank 17, and have ended up with much higher ranked killers/servs in my games. And in those moments, I feel like I may as well give up. As a new player, I have no counterplay to those who have made their way into high ranks. I literally don't know what to do to stop them because I haven't scraped my way that high yet. It is VERY deflating when it happens.

Yes. This is another thing I see a lot. I get yellow/white ranks in my killer games often. IDK if they are in an SWF group, but it seems like they are not. And they get completely destroyed, I feel so bad about it when I see their ranks at the end of the game. I'll even go out of my way to give freebies to those few really BAD survivors if I'm winning by a large margin and can afford it, but they still die fast. As survivor too it happens. I was in a 2 man with one of my friends that I killed in the game mentioned in the OP. Both of us are red ranks. We sat in a lobby FOREVER and when we finally got a game it was against a yellow rank (14 or something) Huntress that stood absolutely no chance of catching either of us. It's unfair, we weren't even in an SWF with low ranks either. We found her Lullaby, she chased us for ages, we rushed like 3 gens at the start just between the 2 of us, then we took out her NOED super quick before she even hit anyone. I don't get how good survivors can derank just to play against killers like this. It's not at all challenging and just pure bullying. Makes me sick to think people do that.

This has been my experience most games as killer and many as surv. I play solo, none of my friends play this game. So, not only do I have to deal with teammates who couldn't take an hour to go watch video tutorials to at least know the basics beforehand, (and I suspect didn't even do the in game tutorial), I have to deal with pro killers who maybe wouldn't hold their own vs a VERY highly skilled surv, but rek noobs like me. On the killer side, most of the time, I get those teams that seem to know exactly what they are doing, where the best places to run me for loops are, forcing me to end the chase to try and apply pressure to other players, and are just otherwise seemingly godly survs.

It is really deflating when, on top of trying to learn how to properly play nurse and get the hang of her blinks, you end up facing survs that are so high ranked you should not ever see them for at least a few hundred hours, AND at the end of the match they throw the old "GG EZ" at you.

My morale has really been killed in this game, tbh.

• Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095

Why do you think the wait times will improve when dedicated servers release?
    Will there be suddenly more players willing to play killer?

• thesuicidefox

@Tsulan said:

No, but it could do a better job of prioritizing survivors in the ques. I literally got the same 2 man like 4 times before I got my friends.

• Master
    Master Member Posts: 10,200

@thesuicidefox said:
    My friends were online in a 4 man SWF. My one friend was streaming, so when they finished their game I semi-stream sniped her to get them in my lobby (turned off the stream once we got to a loading screen). I was SPECIFICALLY dodging so I could get them into my lobby, not because of anything the players entering my lobby had or who they were. In fact, the moment anyone would join and it wasn't them I left to reset.

BTW Trapper, 4k (I did have a pink mori just for them 😘, but I didn't use it until I had 4 stacks of BBQ AND got 2 hooks on a few AND they had 1 gen left), also NOED but that's always on my Trapper, played fair and kept it fun (no camping/tunneling). My one friend got super mad at me and I had to give them a pink key to make up for my evils. Pretty sure I'll be left to die on a hook for a few games after this. But it was SO worth it LOL.

However this brought to my attention something seriously messed up with the matchmaking system. Like I said, I was watching her stream and from the moment they finished a game and searched a new one I went hunting. They sat in a lobby WAITING for maybe 10 minutes of nothing, while I would reset my lobby over and over again. Sometimes I would get the same survivors! On top of that, they are all rank 1 and I'm a rank 1 killer, it should totally prioritize putting them into my lobby before ANYONE else. I mostly got solo survivors, not groups. I did get a few pairs (I think, coulda just been joins at the same time), and I think at least 1 other 4 man before I got them.

It's honestly a bit obscene how many other survivors found my game before they did. It wasn't even like they would find a game and get dodged themselves, they just... sat in a lobby the whole time. I really hope by the time dedicated servers come around BHVR finds ways to speed up the wait times. It's the same thing when I play with them too, so this wasn't like a fluke. We get this all the time as a group.

Once again.
    Dedicated servers only affect WHO is hosting the game, it has nothing to do with matchmaking

• thesuicidefox
    edited February 2019

@Master said:

@thesuicidefox said:

Once again.
    Dedicated servers only affect WHO is hosting the game, it has nothing to do with matchmaking

It does affect MM. If someone has a restricted NAT they are less likely to connect to you. When they connect to a dedicated server that isn't an issue anymore. Also when you connect to a server, because everyone now connections to the same location, if you weren't connecting to someone before based on location now THAT isn't an issue anymore.

I've played games that were p2p and moved to dedi's and MM stuff like this does get fixed because the dedi's normalize the connections for everyone. Granted it's not a huge difference, but people that had issues with MM had fewer problems after the switch.

• Tsulan

@Tsulan said:

No, but it could do a better job of prioritizing survivors in the ques. I literally got the same 2 man like 4 times before I got my friends.

I have my doubts. 
    Devs removed the region lock to improve lobby times. Now we get high ping players from all around the world. 

I'm worried about the dedicated server position. 
  • Fenrir
    Fenrir Member Posts: 533
    Either way dodging is still dodging and should still be banned
  • Tsulan
    Fenrir said:
    Dodging a lobby where people lose some seconds to find a new match isn't the same as ruining the match for everyone else by disconnecting during the match. 
  • thesuicidefox

@Fenrir said:

LOL because it makes sense to force people to play a game with no exceptions. No until everyone hits 'ready up' and the loading screen starts you are not obligated to do anything.

Rewards > punishment. If you want to stop dodging then give a reason to not dodge instead of forcing to play.

• starkiller1286
    starkiller1286 Member Posts: 889

I'm a rank 12 killer and I get purples and the occasional red rank along with sub 15so the matchmaking does need improvement. 
  • se05239
    se05239 Member Posts: 3,919

@Fenrir said:

I rather focus on punishing early-midgame disconnections from survivors first.

• Free_Hugs
    Free_Hugs Member Posts: 304

@Tsulan said:

It may be because the other 4 man queue had been waiting longer so the game tried to help them get a match first.

Almost like those 10 minute+ wait times effect more than just your friends and you were contributing to the problem of making those wait times significantly worse.
  • NoShinyPony
    NoShinyPony Member Posts: 4,570

You are describing nothing new. Instant lobbies as a killer, long waiting times for survivors. Dedicated servers won't change that.

The problem is NOT matchmaking priorities. The problem is that there are not enough people interested in playing killer, especially not against SWF groups.

So the devs need to make playing the killer role more appealing. SWF needs to get nerfed/balanced so that more people want to play against these groups.

It is in the survivors' own best interest to buff killers so that they can have more matches instead of spending their time waiting for a lobby.

• thesuicidefox

@Free_Hugs said:
    It may be because the other 4 man queue had been waiting longer so the game tried to help them get a match first.

Almost like those 10 minute+ wait times effect more than just your friends and you were contributing to the problem of making those wait times significantly worse.

I got several groups of 2 or 3 multiple times. So no it's probably not because they were waiting longer. It's hard to tell sometimes because they wouldn't exactly join at the same time but it would be the same people, which I've had playing with friends. In fact last night it was me and my buddy in a 2 man, I join a lobby and a full 30 seconds later he joins. I was about to leave because we thought he was just stuck in a loading screen.

• thesuicidefox
    edited February 2019

@NoShinyPony said:
    It is in the survivors' own best interest to buff killers so that they can have more matches instead of spending their time waiting for a lobby.

No honestly killer is plenty strong already, especially if you have a good build and strategy you will crush all but the absolute best 4 man SWF, and even then you make them work for it. Like the game I had with my friends in the OP, I KNOW they are good players and I had to really sweat to beat them, but I still did. If you took away the mori, the game would have AT BEST been 2-2 for them because I was definitely on track to kill at least 2 of them before the gates even powered. More likely it would have been a 3-1 for me, with the last one probably taking gate or hatch (but gates would be powered). KILLERS DO NOT NEED MORE BUFFS They are in a good spot right now.

SWF needs to get nerfed/balanced so that more people want to play against these groups.

This is exactly what needs to happen. SWF needs to be nerfed in some manner, I've said before the game should limit SWF groups to 1 instance of a perk among a group to make them focus on TEAM builds instead of 4 meta solo builds with added comms. People want to boost solos up to SWF levels, YOU CAN'T. It's impossible because comms beats everything. Unless you want to give survivors permanent aura reading on each other with infinite range, HUD icons that show them in a chase/on a gen/doing a Hex totem, give notifications when a pallet is used, and basically give them all the info you can possibly do, solo will NEVER be as good as SWF.

And like I said killers are PLENTY strong right now. Sometimes it's almost boring if you get a full potato squad of how easy it can be with stuff like Ruin and NOED. They don't need buffs.

Solo survivor is in a good spot right now. When I play solo, I won't lie it's a bit frustrating when other players do dumb stuff but it happens. 99% of the time my survival is dependent on my actions and my actions alone. If I am with potatoes I will play for hatch. Or even play to die if I know I got enough points to still pip.

Here's a better solution... force survivors to play killer and force killers to play survivor. Too many bad and salty players simply because they lack any perspective on the game. They get mad at stuff the other side does to them that almost all the time is a legit tactic or a smart play. Or even just skill, I've seen survivors get mad a Huntress sniped them from across the map. It's like, can you even recognize when someone actually did something skillful? I do it all the time. "Oh I messed that up" or "wow they outplayed me there". All because I have perspective. I used to get mad at a lot of stuff killers did until I started to really play killer and got to rank 1. Now the only thing that still irks me is when a killer camps slugs for the 4k and drop resets to make the game last 30 minutes, because it's just flat out unnecessary. Or when a killer refuses to just accept that survivor got the escape in a hatch standoff where they are both just standing on the hatch (PS, I agree the HATCH STANDOFF is dumb and they need to fix it, but hatch itself is fine most killers are just salty children bc they didn't get their precious 4k). And just for some PERSPECTIVE, I hate when survivors refuse to leave a game just to annoy the killer or get all pissy and sandbag when other survivors don't do what they want.

If you ask me both sides need to man the ######### up and stop acting like children. That is what is killing this game.

• NoShinyPony
    NoShinyPony Member Posts: 4,570

@thesuicidefox
    First, thanks for writing down your opinion so detailed. :) I appreciate it, even when I don't share your opinion.

As long as no survivor makes stupid plays and the killer isn't a nurse, playing solo surv is easy and playing SWF is super easy. And that even without insta-heals, DS or anything similar.

I'm stating that from my own perspective. I'm a survivor main.

Killers are not in a good spot at all. If you add a couple of DS and so on to the mix, the killer is helpless.

• powerbats
    powerbats Member Posts: 7,068

@Tsulan said:
    thesuicidefox said:

@Tsulan said:

I have my doubts. 
    Devs removed the region lock to improve lobby times. Now we get high ping players from all around the world. 

I've been in solo queue getting people from Russia and Eastern Europe along with central Europe which is highly unusual for me. I normally get western US, Central and South America, Auz/NZ and Asia including China.

• Tsulan
    powerbats said:

@Tsulan said:
    thesuicidefox said:

@Tsulan said:

I have my doubts. 

I've been in solo queue getting people from Russia and Eastern Europe along with central Europe which is highly unusual for me. I normally get western US, Central and South America, Auz/NZ and Asia including China.

Exactly. 
    I've been getting players from NA, Russia, Japan, and Thailand while I'm sitting in Europe.
    Makes 0 sense. 
    Worst part is that they click ready with their 600+ ping.
  • Poweas
    Poweas Member Posts: 5,873

@Tsulan said:
    powerbats said:

@Tsulan said:

thesuicidefox said:

@Tsulan said:

I have my doubts. 

Exactly. 
    I've been getting players from NA, Russia, Japan, and Thailand while I'm sitting in Europe.
    Makes 0 sense. 
    Worst part is that they click ready with their 600+ ping.

On PC I get people from my part of the world. But on xbox they're from across the world. It sucks.