The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

What is the deal with Spirits and Tunneling?

Every Spirit I come across is a rabid tunneler. Sure lots of killers due it but nowhere is it more consistent.

Comments

• JanTheMan
    JanTheMan Member Posts: 495
    Idk about Spirits tunneling.
    But Spirits with MYC... you bet my ass I'm hiding in a locker for the next minute.
  • thesuicidefox
    thesuicidefox Member Posts: 8,223

Not to defend tunnelers, but as someone that plays Spirit a good amount I will say that we don't always know who we are chasing when we phase walk. Scratch marks is all you have, and if multiple survivors are playing as male or as female you don't know if it's an injured Feng or Kate you are chasing.

• NoShinyPony
    NoShinyPony Member Posts: 4,570

Spirits can go back to the hook way faster than your usual 115% speed killer. Tunneling is strong on them.

But some also play Make Your Choice which can be pretty strong. Both follow the same principle: Getting back to the hook super fast so that the survivors can't escape after the unhook.

• Bongbingbing
    Bongbingbing Member Posts: 1,423

I don't know but one reason could be the fact that when she's phasing she can't see the survivors.

She'll just go for the first set of scratch marks, noises, grass moving that she sees.

• Detective_Jonathan
    Detective_Jonathan Member Posts: 1,165

As someone who mains spirit. The only thing i can tell you is too just suck it up, take in iron will, it has saved me countless times when playing against spirit. She's not hard to avoid at all.

• Master
    Master Member Posts: 10,200

@ProfessorDunwich said:
    Every Spirit I come across is a rabid tunneler. Sure lots of killers due it but nowhere is it more consistent.

Spirit cant see in her world, thats why she listens to soudn and naturally follows the injured target

• ProfessorDunwich
    ProfessorDunwich Member Posts: 1,514

@Detective_Jonathan said:
    As someone who mains spirit. The only thing i can tell you is too just suck it up, take in iron will, it has saved me countless times when playing against spirit. She's not hard to avoid at all.

Cool. So Iron Will gets rid of your scratch marks now.

Thanks for everyone else's more productive responses.

• Master

@ProfessorDunwich said:

Dont run and you dont leave scratch marks.

• ProfessorDunwich

@Master said:

@ProfessorDunwich said:

Yep, just stand around the hook.

• Detective_Jonathan

@ProfessorDunwich said:

Either that or just get better at trying to avoid her, run lightweight with iron will if that's the case idc. It's not my problem.

• Master

@ProfessorDunwich said:

@Master said:

@ProfessorDunwich said:

Play spirit yourself, you clearly have no clue how her power works

• ProfessorDunwich

@ProfessorDunwich said:

Either that or just get better at trying to avoid her, run lightweight with iron will if that's the case idc. It's not my problem.

Apparently it isn't. Maybe you should keep your thoughts to yourself then.

@Master said:

@ProfessorDunwich said:

@Master said:

@ProfessorDunwich said:

Sure I do. That doesn't explain why Spirits rush the hook whenever someone is unhooked. It's not nearly as common with other highly mobile killers.

• Detective_Jonathan

@ProfessorDunwich said:

@ProfessorDunwich said:

@Master said:

@ProfessorDunwich said:

@Master said:

@ProfessorDunwich said:

Sure I do. That doesn't explain why Spirits rush the hook whenever someone is unhooked. It's not nearly as common with other highly mobile killers.

You're the one who made a public discussion, i am the one who made the decision to comment. You're the one who is mad about spirits being "Mad Tunnelers" because you yourself probably got tunneled into the ground by one recently. Don't tell me when to keep my thoughts to myself, when you're the one who is expressing his own thoughts.

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,590
    edited February 2019

They aren't intentionally tunneling. Answer this, when you're in spirit phase and survivors are invisible so you are going solely on scratch marks and sounds, who is going to be the loudest one you hear, the full health guy or the injured guy? Exactly, the injured one

There's just a lot higher chances that after we come back we will run into the same injured guy.

The game is all about pressure. Even if I don't want to tunnel, I can't just run into that same guy and be like, wait no I'll let him go so I'm not a tunneler and just randomly wander around looking for someone new. That would literally lose you all of your pressure and as killer you only get 1 screw up and it costs you the game. I'm sorry but this isn't survivor land where you can dick around and screw up a lot but still get multiple second chances.

The amount of survivors that think you're a tunneler just because they happened to be the one they ran into again is astounding.

Lastly, even IF we ignore all of these things I've said, tunneling is a legit smart strategy even if it was intentional. That's like a killer telling you to stop doing gens...

The people that complain about tunneling are the same ones that play zero killer at any meaningful rank to know what they are talking about.

• Master

@ProfessorDunwich said:

@ProfessorDunwich said:

@Master said:

@ProfessorDunwich said:

@Master said:

@ProfessorDunwich said:

Why shouldnt they? Do you want them to play bad intentionally?

• ProfessorDunwich

@ProfessorDunwich said:

@ProfessorDunwich said:

@Master said:

@ProfessorDunwich said:

@Master said:

@ProfessorDunwich said:

You're the one who made a public discussion, i am the one who made the decision to comment. You're the one who is mad about spirits being "Mad Tunnelers" because you yourself probably got tunneled into the ground by one recently. Don't tell me when to keep my thoughts to myself, when you're the one who is expressing his own thoughts.

Just did. You admitted you had nothing to contribute. You also clearly haven't been paying attention. I am talking about it being a frequent, not individual, occurrence. Also I said "rabid" but "mad" is much simpler word, so I understand the misquote coming from you.

• Master

@ProfessorDunwich said:

@ProfessorDunwich said:

@ProfessorDunwich said:

@Master said:

@ProfessorDunwich said:

@Master said:

@ProfessorDunwich said:

Just did. You admitted you had nothing to contribute. You also clearly haven't been paying attention. I am talking about it being a frequent, not individual, occurrence. Also I said "rabid" but "mad" is much simpler word, so I understand the misquote coming from you.

Tunneling is when the killer is using his brain and chooses his target strategically such that he can kill survivors time efficiently. In a game that is all about time management, I would expect a lot more tunneling than what is performed

• ProfessorDunwich

@Blueberry said:
    They aren't intentionally tunneling. Answer this, when you're in spirit phase and survivors are invisible so you are going solely on scratch marks and sounds, who is going to be the loudest one you hear, the full health guy or the injured guy? Exactly, the injured one

There's just a lot higher chances that after we come back we will run into the same injured guy.

The game is all about pressure. Even if I don't want to tunnel, I can't just run into that same guy and be like, wait no I'll let him go so I'm not a tunneler and just randomly wander around looking for someone new. That would literally lose you all of your pressure and as killer you only get 1 screw up and it costs you the game. I'm sorry but this isn't survivor land where you can dick around and screw up a lot but still get multiple second chances.

The amount of survivors that think you're a tunneler just because they happened to be the one they ran into again is astounding.

Lastly, even IF we ignore all of these things I've said, tunneling is a legit smart strategy even if it was intentional. That's like a killer telling you to stop doing gens...

The people that complain about tunneling are the same ones that play zero killer at any meaningful rank to know what they are talking about.

I play killer quite a bit and go out of my way not to tunnel. I've made it to red ranks. So, you are wrong.

• Blueberry

@ProfessorDunwich said:

@Blueberry said:

I play killer quite a bit and go out of my way not to tunnel. I've made it to red ranks. So, you are wrong.

Anecdotal, meaningless.

You can make it to red ranks without tunneling, that isn't what I said at all. Go back and reread.

• IamFran
    IamFran Member Posts: 1,616
    edited February 2019

I think the spirits are more tunnelers because a recently unhooked survivor is still hurt and when fasing is way easier to hear a hurt survivor than a helthful one.

• Detective_Jonathan

@ProfessorDunwich said:

@ProfessorDunwich said:

@ProfessorDunwich said:

@Master said:

@ProfessorDunwich said:

@Master said:

@ProfessorDunwich said:

Me saying idc and it's not my problem is not me admitting i didn't have anything to contribute, when i gave you solutions to your problem. You are sitting here making this bold claim that you can make it to red ranks without tunneling. Good for you, no one cares. Tunneling is simply just a strategy used by killers to get the game in their favor, where as salty people seem to think it's a ######### tactic. Something had to have happened recently for you to come onto the forums and complain about it. Since to you it seems to be happening more consistent, then what are you going to do to fix it.

Also, if anything if the killer is far away and you make the unhook and they go right after the injured person, then you need to go and do gens. Yes it sucks for that person, but at the same time you can gain a powerful advantage over the killer if you simply do gens instead of sitting there trying to bodyblock, like it's going to do something.

• ProfessorDunwich
    edited February 2019

@Blueberry said:

@ProfessorDunwich said:

@Blueberry said:

Anecdotal, meaningless.

You can make it to red ranks without tunneling, that isn't what I said at all. Go back and reread.

Are you serious? You made a bogus generalization. I contradicted it with my own experience. Perhaps you should reread your own words. I'll help you out, it's the paragraph that starts with, "The people who complain about tunneling..."

• ProfessorDunwich

@ProfessorDunwich said:

@ProfessorDunwich said:

@ProfessorDunwich said:

@Master said:

@ProfessorDunwich said:

@Master said:

@ProfessorDunwich said:

Me saying idc and it's not my problem is not me admitting i didn't have anything to contribute, when i gave you solutions to your problem. You are sitting here making this bold claim that you can make it to red ranks without tunneling. Good for you, no one cares. Tunneling is simply just a strategy used by killers to get the game in their favor, where as salty people seem to think it's a ######### tactic. Something had to have happened recently for you to come onto the forums and complain about it. Since to you it seems to be happening more consistent, then what are you going to do to fix it.

Also, if anything if the killer is far away and you make the unhook and they go right after the injured person, then you need to go and do gens. Yes it sucks for that person, but at the same time you can gain a powerful advantage over the killer if you simply do gens instead of sitting there trying to bodyblock, like it's going to do something.

Yes, like I said. I have noticed out of months of playing that Spirits love to tunnel at a much higher incidence than other killers. It was not one or two particular episodes despite your insistence. Somehow it has turned into a discussion on tunneling as a whole.

What I have gathered is that the Spirit's mechanics attract players who like to tunnel. As opposed to playing the Spirit encourages tunneling.

• Blueberry

@ProfessorDunwich said:

@Blueberry said:

@ProfessorDunwich said:

@Blueberry said:

Anecdotal, meaningless.

Are you serious? You made a bogus generalization. I contradicted it with my own experience. Perhaps you should reread your own words. I'll help you out, it's the paragraph that starts with, "The people who complain about tunneling..."

It isn't a "bogus generalization" it's fact. If you disagree it shows your lack of experience.

• ProfessorDunwich

@Blueberry said:

@ProfessorDunwich said:

@Blueberry said:

@ProfessorDunwich said:

@Blueberry said:

Anecdotal, meaningless.

It isn't a "bogus generalization" it's fact. If you disagree it shows your lack of experience.

So if someone disagrees with your generalization, you make another generalization about them.

• Master

@ProfessorDunwich said:

@ProfessorDunwich said:

@ProfessorDunwich said:

@ProfessorDunwich said:

@Master said:

@ProfessorDunwich said:

@Master said:

@ProfessorDunwich said:

Yes, like I said. I have noticed out of months of playing that Spirits love to tunnel at a much higher incidence than other killers. It was not one or two particular episodes despite your insistence. Somehow it has turned into a discussion on tunneling as a whole.

What I have gathered is that the Spirit's mechanics attract players who like to tunnel. As opposed to playing the Spirit encourages tunneling.

Her power pretty much forces her to tunnel, just like leatherface has been built to camp

• Blueberry

@ProfessorDunwich said:

@Blueberry said:

@ProfessorDunwich said:

@Blueberry said:

@ProfessorDunwich said:

@Blueberry said:

Anecdotal, meaningless.

So if someone disagrees with your generalization, you make another generalization about them.

You aren't following. The issue isn't you disagreeing, it's your lack of understanding the material.

• Jdsgames
    Jdsgames Member Posts: 1,109

@Bongbingbing said:
    I don't know but one reason could be the fact that when she's phasing she can't see the survivors.

She'll just go for the first set of scratch marks, noises, grass moving that she sees.

I mean as the spirit walks she glitches and if she phases at the right time her glitch out will cover up the phase. Probably at least 200 bs hits caused by that alone.

• Blueberry

@Jdsgames said:

@Bongbingbing said:

I mean as the spirit walks she glitches and if she phases at the right time her glitch out will cover up the phase. Probably at least 200 bs hits caused by that alone.

I wouldn't call it bs, that is entirely it's point. It's supposed to. You aren't supposed to be able to tell when she's phasing if you're just looking at her.

• Jdsgames
    Jdsgames Member Posts: 1,109
    edited February 2019

@Blueberry said:

@Jdsgames said:

@Bongbingbing said:

I wouldn't call it bs, that is entirely it's point. It's supposed to. You aren't supposed to be able to tell when she's phasing if you're just looking at her.

No I mean as she is running that glitch effect spirits when they phase in that you can't tell like at all.
    So it goes from running glitch back boom behind you. That is out of 'that is how it is supposed to work.'

• ProfessorDunwich

@Blueberry said:

@ProfessorDunwich said:

@Blueberry said:

@ProfessorDunwich said:

@Blueberry said:

@ProfessorDunwich said:

@Blueberry said:

Anecdotal, meaningless.

You aren't following. The issue isn't you disagreeing, it's your lack of understanding the material.

More to do with your baseless assumptions, but okay.

• Blueberry
    edited February 2019

@Jdsgames said:

@Blueberry said:

@Jdsgames said:

@Bongbingbing said:

No I mean as she is running that glitch effect spirits when they phase in that you can't tell like at all.
    So it goes from running glitch back boom behind you. That is out of 'that is how it is supposed to work.'

Oh well that's just the normal passive phasing she has. That's part of why it exists. I don't believe that's a glitch. Do you have a recording I could look at?

• Blueberry

@ProfessorDunwich said:

@Blueberry said:

@ProfessorDunwich said:

@Blueberry said:

@ProfessorDunwich said:

@Blueberry said:

@ProfessorDunwich said:

@Blueberry said:

Anecdotal, meaningless.

More to do with your baseless assumptions, but okay.

"So, you are wrong."

I didn't assume anything, you literally said it yourself.