The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Re-Vamp How Maps Are Chosen

First of all, I can't claim to definitively know how maps are chosen. But I imagine that when a game starts each map is assigned a value and the game picks a random value based on the total number of maps. For instance there are 26 maps currently in the game. So the game chooses a random number between 1 and 26 and that is the map the players end up with. Which sounds fair enough. My issue is that 3 of the realms have 5 maps each. Since those maps look so similar it feels like the same maps come up more often than they should. MacMillan Estate, Coldwind Farm, and Autohaven Wreckers to be specific.

So what I propose is that when a game is about to start, 2 of the 5 maps are chosen for each of the realms with 5 maps and then those 2 random maps are added to all the other maps to be randomly chosen. So instead of random number 1-26 it would look like this:

MacMillan Estate - 2 different random numbers 1-5 (Groaning Storehouse and Shelter Woods randomly chosen)
Autohaven Wreckers- 2 different random numbers 1-5 (Blood Lodge and Gas Heaven randomly chosen)
Coldwind Farm- 2 different random numbers 1-5 (Rancid Abattoir and Rotten Fields randomly chosen)

Those 6 maps are then assigned a number 1-6. The remaining maps are then assigned a value and the game then chooses a random number between 1 and 16. What this would do is make it so MacMillan Estate, Autohaven, and Coldwind Farm maps would be chosen less often making it feel like there is more variety in maps.

TLDR: So what I propose is that when a game is about to start, 2 of the 5 maps are chosen for each of the realms with 5 maps and then those 2 random maps are added to all the other maps to be randomly chosen.

Comments

• BigBadPiggy
    BigBadPiggy Member Posts: 678

I have my own idea. Group all of the maps that are the same location (All the farm maps for example) and if the game chooses Coldwind Farm, it would then randomly choose one of the farm maps. Therefor decreasing the chances of getting coldwind three times in a row since the game sees it as one map until it chooses it, then chooses one of the variations after. Kinda like MKX where you turn on randomize character, the game chooses the character, THEN it chooses one of the variations.

• Dreamnomad
    Dreamnomad Member Posts: 3,850

@BigBadPiggy said:
    I have my own idea. Group all of the maps that are the same location (All the farm maps for example) and if the game chooses Coldwind Farm, it would then randomly choose one of the farm maps. Therefor decreasing the chances of getting coldwind three times in a row since the game sees it as one map until it chooses it, then chooses one of the variations after. Kinda like MKX where you turn on randomize character, the game chooses the character, THEN it chooses one of the variations.

We're pretty much getting at the same thing. But your method would result in more maps being seen even more rarely. Whereas maps like Lery's Memorial, Haddonfield and The Game would be seen much more frequently. It would also be nice if they took into account the last 3 maps all players in the match have been in and gave those maps a lower chance of being chosen.

• Science_Guy
    Science_Guy Member Posts: 1,998

@BigBadPiggy said:

This is exactly how it used to work. They changed it because it led to the opposite problem; you saw the newer maps way out of proportion with the others.

To the main topic, even if they're in the same realm, each of the maps are laid out differently. The gameplay changes between maps in the same realm and maps in different realms is comparable. Beyond aesthetics there's not much of a reason to prefer different realms over different maps.

• Gorgonia
    Gorgonia Member Posts: 1,607
    They could actually re-vamp the maps instead.
  • Dreamnomad

@Science_Guy said:

@BigBadPiggy said:

This is exactly how it used to work. They changed it because it led to the opposite problem; you saw the newer maps way out of proportion with the others.

That's why I'm recommending something in between. It would decrease the frequency, but not to the point that the other maps are ridiculously overplayed.

To the main topic, even if they're in the same realm, each of the maps are laid out differently. The gameplay changes between maps in the same realm and maps in different realms is comparable. Beyond aesthetics there's not much of a reason to prefer different realms over different maps.

I can't speak for everyone, but for me the aesthetics do matter. I realize the map geometry is different between say Azarov's Resting Place and Wretched Shop, but it doesn't feel all that different. It's still a bunch of wrecked cars littering the map.

• WatchBloodRain
    WatchBloodRain Member Posts: 175
    If the game remembers what map each survivor and killer was on last, it chooses a different map (not variation) of what it was
  • Dreamnomad

So taking into consideration people's replies so far I've reformulated my suggestion into a 3 phase map choosing plan.

Phase 1: The game looks at the last 3 maps each player has been on. The Killer's 3 maps are automatically removed as an option. The survivor's maps have a 50% value. If 2 or more different survivors have been on the same map in the last 3 games then that map is removed as an option.

Phase 2: Realms that have 5 maps have 3 randomly selected maps chosen. This selection is based on phase 1 results.

Phase 3: The 9 maps from the 3 realms of phase 2 are added to the remaining maps which have been adjusted from phase 1. A map is randomly selected from this pool.

This will reduce the chance of having a map from MacMillan Estate, Coldwind Farm, and Autohaven Wreckers by 40% as well as reduce or eliminate the chance of having a map that was recently played being chosen again.