The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Stake out 'rework'

KingB
KingB Member Posts: 747
edited February 2019 in General Discussions
Stake out is a really fun perk to use. However, it's very situational. When talking about perks, the more situational it is the stronger it has to be in said situation. I dont propose an entire rework, but i was thinking something along the lines of this.

Every time you hit 3/3/2 skill checks you gain a token. Once you have a token, failed skill checks will turn into good skill checks and good skill checks will turn into great.

This perk is kind of like training wheels but for skill checks. It allows newer players to practice hitting great skill checks without fear of blowing up a gen. The tokens are necessary because some people can hit great skill checks just not consistently. 

Why do I think it needs a change? I'm glad no one asked!

Currently, there are some killers who completely negate the effectiveness of an already meh perk. 

Post edited by KingB on

Comments

• DocOctober
    DocOctober Member Posts: 2,230

I prefer it the way it currently is. I run it on two of my Survivors and I don't mind if depending on the situation, I don't get much use out of it.

• KingB
    @DocOctober This doesnt change the perk's function, just changes the requisites so that it isnt so situational. I would argue this is a buff instead of a rework, because how often is a survivor going to be within the terror radius of a killer without being in a chase while working on a gen? Staying in the killers terror radius without working on a gen for 45 seconds negates the benefits of using this perk.
  • DocOctober
    KingB said:
    @DocOctober This doesnt change the perk's function, just changes the requisites so that it isnt so situational. I would argue this is a buff instead of a rework, because how often is a survivor going to be within the terror radius of a killer without being in a chase while working on a gen? Staying in the killers terror radius without working on a gen for 45 seconds negates the benefits of using this perk.
    45 seconds is Diversion, not Stake Out
  • KingB
    edited February 2019
    @DocOctober Unless I'm wrong its 15 seconds per token and capped at 3 tokens at tier 3.

Edit: I am wrong, its capped at 4 at tier 3.
  • HatCreature
    HatCreature Member Posts: 3,298

You want failed Skill Checks to count as Good, that's better than Technician.

The whole point of ''Stake Out'' is that like the word implies, you are spying on the target, the target being the Killer, and by spying on them you get info, Great Skill checks. This perk perfectly fits the name and is a great counter to Ruin and if you're a stealth player like me you get lots of tokens; honestly I'm surprised most P3 Claudettes don't run this because they would own this perk because they're more invisible than Wraith.

• KingB
    edited February 2019
    @HatCreature It already does that. The requisite to get stacks negates the benefits of the perk. It's not better than technician with this rework. Technician reduces sounds of gen repairs by 8 meters. Technician also doesnt require you to hit skill checks to activate. 

Theres no need to use it at high ranks because at that point most survivors should be able to hit great skill checks. And at mid ranks you run a higher risk of facing killers with a smaller terror radius, making the perk almost entirely useless. Small game is a better counter to ruin than stake out and also massively helps prevent NOED. 
  • DocOctober

@KingB said:
    @DocOctober Unless I'm wrong its 15 seconds per token and capped at 3 tokens at tier 3.

Well, I usually get all my Tokens by repairing a Gen near where a Chase is happening.

• KingB
    @DocOctober That wont consistently get you tokens though. Plus it relies on too many things out of your control. It relies on the survivor to loop near where you are for an extended period of time, relies on it not being a killer with a small TR, and relies on the killer not to break chase and patrol gens. And if said killer does break chase since you're generally close to them and at a generator they will likely come to you.
  • DocOctober

@KingB said:
    @DocOctober That wont consistently get you tokens though. Plus it relies on too many things out of your control. It relies on the survivor to loop near where you are for an extended period of time, relies on it not being a killer with a small TR, and relies on the killer not to break chase and patrol gens. And if said killer does break chase since you're generally close to them and at a generator they will likely come to you.

Perhaps, but I don't mind any of this. I'm quite happy with Stake Out the way it is.

• KingB
    @DocOctober I respect that. 
  • Delfador
    Delfador Member Posts: 2,552

Your version is good too but I think that stake out is good the way it is now.

I think that what you proposed could be another perk though. Actually it would be great. There were multiple good perk suggestions but I guess devs don't pay too much attention to these kind of suggestions.

• KingB
    @Delfador I just think stake out has a really good concept but too harsh requirements. 
  • SpacingLlamas
    SpacingLlamas Member Posts: 602
    edited February 2019

Allow you to get more than 4 tokens, perhaps 8 or 10.
    Or allow you to get tokens even when in a chase.
    One or the other, not both would be my suggestion.
    But I do think the perk is fine for what it is, could be better.

• HatCreature

@KingB said:
    @HatCreature It already does that. The requisite to get stacks negates the benefits of the perk. It's not better than technician with this rework. Technician reduces sounds of gen repairs by 8 meters. Technician also doesnt require you to hit skill checks to activate. 

Theres no need to use it at high ranks because at that point most survivors should be able to hit great skill checks. And at mid ranks you run a higher risk of facing killers with a smaller terror radius, making the perk almost entirely useless. Small game is a better counter to ruin than stake out and also massively helps prevent NOED. 

Technician also has a 50% chance to not explode if you fail a Skill check. So if yours went through everyone would bypass Technician and use Stake Out. But that's a technical problem, my presonal problem is that yours gets stack too easily and does not make sense with the name of the perk.

• Eninya
    Eninya Member Posts: 1,256

I like the idea, but the competition with Technician's purpose isn't that good. However, I think Technician needs a simultaneous change, since its benefit is fairly minor as it is, and there's no reason to run it after you get the hang of skill checks.

• KingB
    @HatCreature I'm sure all 5 people who currently run technician wont pass it up. Plus you have to be able to hit skill checks to make the new stake out work, which would defeat the purpose of technician. Its higher risk higher reward. Plus technician also reduces noise made by repairs by 8m. I'm fine with the numbers being tweaked. Does tinkerer really make sense with what it does?
  • KingB
    @Eninya it does a different purpose than technician. Technician reduces noise made by 8m and also has a 50% chance to not explode the generator. The new stake out would force you to hit skill checks first. In which case you already dont need technician because you can hit skill checks.
  • powerbats
    powerbats Member Posts: 7,068

@DocOctober said:

@KingB said:

Well, I usually get all my Tokens by repairing a Gen near where a Chase is happening.

I'm the same way and i've even followed killers around to get stacks occasionally because i'll also get other bonus points at the same time.

It does suck when it's a Mirror Myers or Amanda crouching around though, against an ultra rare Legion it's like CHKCHING.

• HatCreature

@KingB said:
    @HatCreature I'm sure all 5 people who currently run technician wont pass it up. Plus you have to be able to hit skill checks to make the new stake out work, which would defeat the purpose of technician. Its higher risk higher reward. Plus technician also reduces noise made by repairs by 8m. I'm fine with the numbers being tweaked. Does tinkerer really make sense with what it does?

They ruined Tinkerer, lets not have them ruin another perk, also I just realized how are you going to get more than 1 token? You can do 2 Good skill checks to get 1 token but the very next skill check turns into a Great. At this point having a token makes no sense as you can only get 1. You should take that part out because it doesn't work with your version. Unless I'm missing something.

• KingB
    @HatCreature There was a typo in my op. I said skill checks a lot and messed up and put good skill check. I meant any. The point was not to waste them on great skill checks. Tinkerer got nerfed, stake out gets massively buffed.