The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Is this a "Lag Switcher" or "Bad Ping"?

NMCKE
NMCKE Member Posts: 8,243
Mods: I'm not naming and shaming anyone in this clip. The purpose of this clip is to experiment with the community and see which side is picked more (see below).

Link:
https://xboxclips.com/NMCKE/510bb1bd-3180-431b-a7c1-412583abcb56

Now, we all have those moments where you're like... Was that bad ping or a lag switcher? I'd like to see what you guys will pick in this scenario because honestly, a lot of our community cannot tell the difference between bad ping and a lag switcher. This should be a interesting debate since both sides can be argued. :)

Comments

• fluffybunny
    fluffybunny Member Posts: 2,161

I believe that's the case of the mystical teleporting clown. He really doesn't like it when people use pallets.

• Delfador
    Delfador Member Posts: 2,552

This is definitely not a lag switch, if it is, then I am really surprised.

When lag switch happens, it looks like the very fabric of the universe has been violated. Crazy things start to happen.

Also, I don't think that you can easily lag switch like this and then quickly go back to your normal internet connection. That was something like a second lag spike either from killer or survivor, and I believe that it is from the survivor but I am not sure.

• NMCKE
    Delfador said:

When lag switch happens, it looks like the very fabric of the universe has been violated. Crazy things start to happen.

Also, I don't think that you can easily lag switch like this and then quickly go back to your normal internet connection. That was something like a second lag spike either from killer or survivor, and I believe that it is from the survivor but I am not sure.

I think this was just bad ping to be honest because lag switchers tend to use their P2P connection powers more than once in a game. However, this is really annoying because I even threw the pallet down early and still wasn't fast enough.
  • fluffybunny

@Delfador said:

Is it possible it was a graphical glitch, too? It looks like even though he looked to be going to the side, he was actually moving forward. With lag switches, you're like flying through the ceiling and stuff. xD

• NMCKE

@Delfador said:

Is it possible it was a graphical glitch, too? It looks like even though he looked to be going to the side, he was actually moving forward. With lag switches, you're like flying through the ceiling and stuff. xD

If it's as bad as you guys are making it out to be, then I never been lagged switched before to be honest lol.
  • twistedmonkey
    twistedmonkey Member Posts: 4,291
    Normally when you see a lag switch you don't see the killer or they are far away and you are suddenly downed with them over you, the fact the killer was interacting with you, throwing the bottle and you saw him just before it happens lends to it being a normal lag spike.
  • fluffybunny

@Nickenzie said:
    fluffybunny said:

@Delfador said:

If it's as bad as you guys are making it out to be, then I never been lagged switched before to be honest lol.

Something was weird about the clip you showed, too, but from what I've experienced everyone will run in place. I've even had my character fall through the roof, I was lagging so bad.

• Peanits
    Peanits Dev, Community Manager Posts: 7,522
    edited February 2019

That is almost definitely just a 'lag spike' (the connection was broken for a second there and a couple of packets were dropped). This'll be more common on consoles where people are typically using wifi instead of a wired connection. If you're ever unsure though, you can feel free to report them. We'll take a look into it, we can tell if it's just lag or not.

• NMCKE
    Peanits said:

That is almost definitely just a 'lag spike' (the connection was broken for a second there and a couple of packets were dropped). This'll be more common on consoles where people are typically using wifi instead of a wired connection. If you're ever unsure though, you can feel free to report them. We'll take a look into it, we can tell if it's just lag or not.

I didn't report, usually lag switchers will abuse their power more than once. In this scenario, even through you only seen a fraction of the gameplay, this only happened once. Therefore, I concluded that this was just a spike due to packet loss but if this would have happened to me more than once. I would've reported just to be on the safe side of things.
  • OrionsFury4789
    OrionsFury4789 Member Posts: 637
    Nickenzie said:
    Peanits said:

I didn't report, usually lag switchers will abuse their power more than once. In this scenario, even through you only seen a fraction of the gameplay, this only happened once. Therefore, I concluded that this was just a spike due to packet loss but if this would have happened to me more than once. I would've reported just to be on the safe side of things.
    Ive seen true lagswitchers , you will either be froze and just come to on the ground already or when they're about to pick you up it will freeze and you'll come to already on the hook and the killer gone. I think the worst case I had was against a legion ,he went to pick me up and froze without me being able to wiggle or anything and my friends around running into walls uncontrolled I came to a couple minutes later to the animation of the entity taking me up on my first hook lol
  • Master
    Master Member Posts: 10,200

No, thats just a laggspike

• Master

@homo_superior said:
    Report for lagswitch and move on. If it's trash internet he still should get banned.

You are the one connecting to the host, so guess you get banned too then?

• Master
    edited February 2019

@homo_superior said:

@Master said:

@homo_superior said:
    Report for lagswitch and move on. If it's trash internet he still should get banned.

Me banned? I'm not hosting teleporting lobby lmao.

The killer is offering a hosting service. You see the ping before the game, by going into the game you accept that your connection to the host is miserable but you wanna play anyway

• NMCKE
    Master said:

@homo_superior said:

@Master said:

@homo_superior said:

Me banned? I'm not hosting teleporting lobby lmao.

The killer is offering a hosting service. You see the ping before the game, by going into the game you accept that your connection to the host is miserable but you wanna play anyway

I try my best to dodge high ping lobbies as both a survivor and killer but there will be times where you'll have green ping but to see red ping in-game. If the game is unplayable, I'm gonna DC because there's no reason to play a game that you can't play.