If you were affected by the Grade Reset Bloodpoints not being awarded properly, you will receive any missing Bloodpoints shortly. You may need to restart your game for the rewards to appear. Thank you for your patience!

Golden toolboxes and all related stuff about them

Options
Rattman
Rattman Member Posts: 1,088
edited December 2020 in Lore

Hello there. I've already did this post in russian subforum. Now I decided to translate it and post here. Enjoy!

I bet, almost everyone seen golden toolbox in Haddonfield. That's not really surprising fact, since its the very first golden toolbox added in game. It happened in patch 1.2.1, when second chapter - Halloween chapter was released. Sweet times, when devs aren't really tryharded their way to hide them. After some time, they got more experienced and... well, you'll see.
Anyway, here it is. Just in case.

So yeah. After this patch, golden toolboxes appeared on every released map. Surprise, they were always there. Like Ruin and NOED in my survivor games.

In patch 1.4.1 Gas heaven was added into the game. You can find golden toolbox inside the pile of cars, which on the right from the entrance to the gas station. On the side, which closer to the center of the map.

Thanks, Feng! Moving on.
In 4.4.0 Autoheaven was reworked. But you still can find golden toolbox in the same place on the same map.

You can also find body without limbs somewhere nearby between cars. It's not really related, but anyway...

Groaning Storehouse, which was added in patch 1.5.2c. Toolbox could be found in storehouse, you can see it between shelvings. Entrance to the basement on the right hand. Feng?

Macmillan Estate was reworked in patch 4.3.0. Golden toolbox still can be found in almost the same place: behind the shelves in Groaning Storehouse. Thanks for the help @El01se & @KiraLester.

Nice. Moving to the 3-d chapter, From flesh and mud, which added Backwater swamp and 2 new maps. This one is a bit complicated. Internet says, there is golden toolbox somewhere in Grim Pantry, but I couldn't find it. Probably some parts of map were redesighned to adjust amount of pallets - toolbox was in construction near pallet in old versions of the game. Well, anyway, Iam not 100% sure. If someone knows current location and wanna help me find it in KYF session - I'll be very happy.
On Pale Rose PREVIOUSLY you could find toolbox somewhere in broken boat near to the center of the map.

BUT NOW it's moved to Pale Rose. Feng is too busy reading through archives at the moment, so Amanda will show you.

4-th chapter - Spark of Madness and Léry's Memorial Institute. By the way, cutest survivor was added to the game in this chapter. Yup, Feng, its about you. Show us toolbox, please.

This one is easy to find - just make full circle around inner wall.

In 3.5.0 patch Léry's Memorial Institute got rework. So, same fate awaits for this post. New golden toolbox in this map located somewhere outside of the building. It could be seen through the hole in the wall under 4-seat bench. Looks like bench spawns every time in random location near inner wall.
Susie and Feng trying their best to show you. Wait, Susie, you trying a bit too hard! Ouch...

5-th chapter - Lullaby for the dark and Mother's Dwelling in Red Forest. Here we can see nice example how to hide something in plain sight. Toolbox is located inside 'Stonehenge'. Partially burried and hidden in grass.

Moving to the 6-th chapter - Nightmare on the Elm Street and Badham Preschool. Toolbox is located inside the phone booth. You'll have to move your camera a bit to see it.

Map was reworked twice, but golden toolbox remained in the same place. It can be found in Badham Preschool I. Thanks @KiraLester for the help with screenshot:

7-th Chapter - Saw and Gideon Meatplant. Toolbox is inside the room above bathroom. You can't really see it as killer, and you have to move your camera in really particular way to see it as survivor. Trust me, Feng, its there.

8-th chapter - Curtain Call and Father Campbell's Chapel. Toolbox is hidden under the Finger Lover's trailer.

9-th chapter - Shattered Bloodline and Yamaoka Estate. Easy one. You can see toolbox under main building.

10-th chapter - Darkness among us and Mount Ormond Resort. Damn, this is hard one. Toolbox could be seen in abandoned house in the gap between boards. Even in screenshot its kinda hard to see, but it's there. And, well, now Feng have better sight than me, unlike 8-th chapter.

Pretty good job so far, Feng! Now, pull out your arm from the board, you can't take toolbox anyway.

Moving on to 13-th chapter - Stranger Things.
Finnaly, 2 months after release, some very mindfull and determined guys (well more determined than me, sadly) found golden toolbox on Hawkins National Lab. It was hidden inside container in the lift near Upside Down portal. They literally glitched through wall with Legion memento mori animation to see it. After some time they realised, that this toolbox was condition based: container slowly opens by itself, if you open up the gates. Funny thing (or shound I say "Strange thing"?), happened to me, when I tried it: for some reason me and my friend were able to see it only from killer perspective. So, well, we'll have to use Amanda's help once again.

Turns out, THERE IS a golden toolbox in Coldwind Farm. It's in Fractured Cowshed and I randomly found it on Youtube. Well, technically, guy from the video found it first, but, gimme some credit, lmao.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1H9tbXQ29I&list=WL&index=20&t=0s
Ingame it looks like this:

Video is dated by 9th of January 2020. So, I guess, either, Mathieu lied to us in this interview from 11-th of October 2019, or it was added later. Check 1:12

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF4159PR9rY

Chapter 15 - Dead Dawg Saloon". Golden toolbox is kinda found. Kinda. Players don't know how to see this toolbox in fair way. There might be some kind of trigger to it, some sequence of actions. Maybe. Maybe not and devs decided to hide it in absolute way. Anyway, noone knows except for the devs. Yet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGAsff6KcAI&feature=youtu.be

As you can see, devs made this easter egg some kind of traditional. There is some special place for golden toolboxes among other easter eggs. And, probably, there is some special place for golden toolboxes inside lore of the game too. Some hints suggesting this.

Firstly, poor replica of toolbox, which was created by Vigo. We know it as "Engineer's Toolbox".

"I've created tools beyond compare and stood paralysed as they were stolen from me. These are but a poor replica, spat out by the fog." - Vigo's Journal

Yeah, at some point Vigo created perfect tools, but why would they be golden? Well, that's not all, here is another hint.
Description of auric cells:

Very little is known of The Entity's biological workings and the exact purpose of the Auric Cell still eludes me. There are nevertheless strong correlations to be made between the Cell and The Entity's faculty to shape the world that imprisons us. Are they the primordial building blocks to everything we see within The Fog? Can we harness their power?

As we know, Vigo is really good in harnessing power in Entity world. Description of Vigo's Shroud proves it:

"I found marvels through the years in the fog, but only now do I understand how to bend the fog's irrefragable rules." -Vigo's Journal

Poor guy, even his shroud got stolen...

Well, anyway, my theory is going like this.
Vigo at some point understood how auric cells work. Using this knowledge, he created golden toolboxes from these cells. Material really implies on it. Right after, these toolboxes were stolen. By who? Here is the question. But, most likely, it weren't the killers - most of them are big and clumsy. At the same time, stolen toolboxes are hidden in places, which really hard to reach.

Logical answer - it's someone among survivors. Someone, who wanted these tools to be hidden, since this person didn't show these stolen toolboxes to other survivors. Someone, who don't give a single ######### about laws and private property and, therefore, don't mind stealing. Someone, who is known to be traitor among survivors FOR REASON. Someone, who known for agility and flexibility, and at some times was compared to cat. This one is really important, since as I said above, toolboxes hidden in places, which are really hard to reach.
And, well, last but not least. Someone, who was added as DLC character, among other killer and map, which DIDN'T HAD GOLDEN TOOLBOX.
Well, you got it.

I made theory by well-known meme, and I think, my life is complete now.

Don't take this seriously. But, from the other hand, there is some truth in every joke.

See ya in the fog!

Post edited by Rattman on

Comments

• MegaWaffle
    MegaWaffle Member Posts: 4,172
    Options

@Rattman

Stop trying to prove Dead by Daylight theories and get back to your attic room in the Portal testing chambers!

• CaptainXym
    CaptainXym Member Posts: 86
    Options

I strongly believe that it was also Vigo doing the experimentation on the killers this past Halloween event.

• OMagic_ManO
    OMagic_ManO Member Posts: 3,278
    Options

As stated the game has several years of updates planned, AT LEAST 5, let's see where this goes!

• Rattman
    Options

So, guys, did anyone found golden toolbox on new map?

• SadCyclops
    SadCyclops Member Posts: 118
    Options
  • Shad03
    Shad03 Member Posts: 3,732
    Options

Forgot exactly where, but yes. Benedict was the one we saw, he happened to find Vigo's notes, and did his own experiments.

I'll be happy if I can be proven wrong though.

• Rattman
    edited November 2019
    Options

UPD

Added Hawkins National Lab golden toolbox. Updated Pale Rose golden toolbox location.

• Liruliniel
    Liruliniel Member Posts: 3,032
    Options

Happen to find the one on the new map? I haven't had the chance to look.

• Rattman
    Options

Do you mean Sanctum of Wrath? There is no toolbox there. Golden toolboxes are limited of 1 per realm. For example, there is no golden toolbox in Temple of Purgation, cause there is one in Mother Dwelling.

• Liruliniel
    Liruliniel Member Posts: 3,032
    Options

I oddly never noticed this. Kind of a shame they had some potential for some cool places on the Sanctum of Wrath.

• DetailedDetriment
    DetailedDetriment Member Posts: 2,632
    Options

Golden Toolboxes should be a legendary item and should instantly complete a gen.

• ZtarShot
    ZtarShot Member Posts: 838
    Options

Thought they were just regular boxes. Smart is not very good.

• Rattman
    edited April 2020
    Options

I think I found golden toolbox on the new map, but Iam not sure completely. This could be just a vision trick.

@McLean, @Almo can you please confirm that I got this right?

EDIT: Guess not, because last time I checked this place, there were no lights in the ceiling.

• Rattman
    Options

Welp, I used Deathslinger Memento Mori animation to look through ceiling. You can't say that I have a lack of creativity. Tho, I have a lack of luck: looks like it's not there. Tho, those boards really look suspicious.

Another thought I had, is that golden toolbox might be inside of some building. I looked inside with Nurse, and also found interesting way to clip through textures. But, well, it's not there either. Atleast as far as I can tell.

Maybe golden toolbox is conditioned with EGC again somehow, but, well... lack of luck.

• DonZwiebel
    DonZwiebel Member Posts: 136
    Options

By the way, did anyone find the golden toolbox on the reworked Lery's map? Or did it stay in the same spot?

• Nimmsyx
    Nimmsyx Member Posts: 3
    Options

I've always been a fan of Easter Eggs in games and lately I've been obsessed with wanting more things like this in dbd. Thanks for translating :)

• Veermat001
    Veermat001 Member Posts: 17
    Options

I was looking for it in the new map. but then i realised that i dont know where it is in the Coldwin farm realm. Isnt there one in it or am i just blind that i dont see it posted here

• Kai6864
    Kai6864 Member Posts: 377
    edited March 2020
    Options

Peanits have said the original maps that came in 2016 don’t have a toolbox. HOWEVER! In the same thread he also said “If there is one in the Fractured Cowshed, it has never been found” or something along those lines

• Rattman
    edited April 2020
    Options

There is NO golden toolbox on Coldwind farm. It's the only realm, which don't have it.

I have proof btw. Check 1:12

UPD

Turns out, there is a golden toolbox in Fractured Cowshed. Either we were bamboozled by Mathieu, or it was added later.

• Rattman
    edited March 2020
    Options

Added Lery's Memorial toolbox after 3.5.0 rework. Big thanks for help to @fluffymareep !

• Rattman
    Options

I did another session for dedicated searches (ba-dum-tss) for golden toolbox in the Saloon. Spoiler alert: I didn't found it. Tho, I found out that there is a way to blink ON the gates. This could allow you to blink behind inner wall. Welp, atleast, I can confirm, that there is no golden toolbox behind inner wall, and anywhere near gates, I guess.

Steps to reproduce:

1) Use Plaid Flannel addon. It's the brown one, which shows you point of your blink.

2) Aim above the gates carefully. At some point you will see blinkable surface on the gates.

3)

4) After this, you can blink behind the inner wall

And also. I found a way to look inside of the buildings with Nurse. For this you need to blink near corners. After blink Nurse will look down. Right after your head will kinda go through textures. It will be something like this:

So, I guess, there is no golden toolbox INSIDE of the buildings.

@Peanits , @not_Queen , did I deserved a hint about golden toolbox? xD

• Rattman
    Options

I really hope that post above will inspire someone to look for golden toolbox, cuz I kinda tired... And have no luck with it anyway.

• Kai6864
    Options

I believe it was already found. I don't think anyone knows how it activates but in a cage near the saloon, there is a box. Normally, this box is closed but under certain conditions it will open. Someone found it by complete chance - some speculate that it is linked to completing the saloon generator.

• Rattman
    edited April 2020
    Options

Can you post screenshot of the box? Or something else with proof?

• Kai6864
    edited April 2020
    Options

I can certainly try finding it!

I'll be back soon

-------------------------

Here you go!

https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/136768/is-there-a-golden-toolbox-in-the-dead-dawg-salloon

• Rattman
    Options

Holy #########! Turns out, THERE IS a golden toolbox in Coldwind Farm! I'll added it to main post.

• Cheers
    Cheers Member Posts: 3,426
    Options

Apparently this was proven to be a lightning bug, and recently when Paulie was asked had he found the golden toolbox he responded by saying "No but I'm still trying."

• Kuroi
    Kuroi Member Posts: 38
    edited July 2020
    Options

I was curious about the dead dawg saloon and midwich school, and while we were hunting there we were curious about the Golden toolbox in other maps in the post, we weren't able to find the one in pale rose and the one in Ormond was moved too i think this post needs an update, we found the new localization in ormond though and a way to go to the rooftop in midwich

• Kuroi
    Kuroi Member Posts: 38
    Options
  • LethalPugy
    LethalPugy Member Posts: 493
    Options

Please tell me why i read all of it in dora the explorers voice

• Dpooly
    Dpooly Member Posts: 474
    Options

Just thought I'd add Dead Dawg Saloon's toolbox has been found inside the water tower in the corner

• Dpooly
    Dpooly Member Posts: 474
    Options

Still wanna find out what the other hidden easter egg is in Oni's map (not the moving statues)

• Rattman
    Options

I've added golden toolbox for Dead dawg saloon. Kinda...

• Rattman
    Options

Added golden toolbox in new Autoheaven. That's questionable achievement, since it's in the same place, but, well... Truth is, I don't really have time to look for toolboxes in new maps. Rift isn't gonna grind itself.

• Rattman
    Options

Added golden toolbox for 4.3.0 Macmillan rework and Badham Preschool toolbox.

• MichaelMason115
    MichaelMason115 Member Posts: 3
    Options

Say, first of all, this seems like the most detailed Discussion about the golden Toolbox I could ever find. Props for that! It's really good. My question would be, if we ever find new information about the Golden Toolbox, such as the location on Midwich Elementary or if the new Father's Campbell Chapel has changed location, should we then post this info here? Or do we contact you for example?

• Rattman
    Options

Feel free to post it here, then I will add it to the main post.

Thank you for helping us help you help us all. (c)

• _NIGHTMARE_
    _NIGHTMARE_ Member Posts: 727
    Options

Thanks for the post! Very well written and I can tell a lot of work went into this; well done. :)

• ZtarShot
    ZtarShot Member Posts: 838
    Options

Seems as though the time has come again to document the next golden toolbox:

Dead By Daylight| The Golden Toolbox Midwich reveal part 2! "Silent Hill" puzzle solution! - YouTube

• GoobyNugget
    GoobyNugget Member Posts: 698
    Options

Since we're talkin bout toolboxes, might as well put this out

Brown toolboxes need a nerf.