The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

How do they identify lagswitching?

It's not unheard of that survi ors accuse killer of lagswitching. With non-dedicated servers, lag spikes and poor connection is gonna happen. I live in an area with poor connection, even with the best. And the people who I share it with often  stream...everything. this sometimes causes days with crazy lag but lobby says green ping. 
It's because of this alot of people attack me and report me for lagswitching...idfk how to even do it. So I'm wondering how the devs/mods or whoever, identify lagswitching. Just so I dont have to worry about being banned just because of ######### internet.

Thanks

TLTR: my internet is crap sometimes, alot of people accuse me of lagswitching and report. I'm worried I'll get banned despite being innocent. I want to know how Bhvr distinguishes crappy internet and lagswitch

Best Answer

Answers

• makayla
    makayla Member Posts: 287

I don't think they can actually detect lagswitching. The survivor needs video evidence of you lagswitching for appropriate action to be taken, at least that's what I imagine.

Unless you actually are lagswitching, you shouldn't get banned. Typical crappy connection lag is much different from lagswitching. Also, if the survivor wants to accuse anyone with a sudden ping spike in game of lagswitching they should just download MLGA. MLGA shows you when a player is lagswitching or not. If it is a lagswitch, they will completely disconnect from the host (MLGA will show "No Players Connected") and then suddenly they will connect back to the host. You should be fine.

• Paddy4583
    Paddy4583 Member Posts: 864
    edited February 2019
    In theory not really, a lag switch is an artificial spike in ping, but most reports will need evidence and lag switches are pretty noticeable and because they are controlled by the player they tend to be spikes that happen at convenient times.

I wouldn’t worry, normally bad ping is rather consistant and doesn’t spike to the same extent as a lag switch
  • bleep275
    bleep275 Member Posts: 227
    But why would my lobby have everyone with good ping, but they lag like mad once the game starts?
  • Paddy4583
    Paddy4583 Member Posts: 864
    bleep275 said:
    But why would my lobby have everyone with good ping, but they lag like mad once the game starts?
    There is more than just your internet involved in experienced lag.
    But more
    likely it’s because your lag switching :) joking.

• bleep275
    bleep275 Member Posts: 227
    Yeah I use a pretty old gaming laptop my brother used to own. Weird how that could cause lag for everyone else